Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Exploder fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

CaptainHollywood posted:

Bottom-line. Just skip Season 6 now.

Thanks for the advice. Im going to do this, and just wikipedia the rest of the season. I got up to about episode 10, and it is boring the hell out of me. Oh good, Jack enlists the help of the most boring character ever and one of his sworn enemies (Charles Logan), and infiltrates ANOTHER embassy. It is like they just took parts of earlier seasons and rehashed them into a half-assed attempt at a plot.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

CaptainHollywood posted:

If you can get past the 'twist' early on in Season 7 much like in Season 5 where Palmer dies you'll enjoy the season. Most people were upset about the Season 5 twist, and the season devoted itself to that. Season 7 does something similar and although it makes no sense in retrospect it makes for a fun season.

Well, I already kind of knew about the twist in season 7 because I got all the DVD sets from a friend and accidently looked at the S7 cover prematurely and saw Almeida on the cover. After watching and loving the X-Files, I accept that nobody can really die in a television show anymore unless they are definitively ID'd and are decomposing in the ground or cremated. And I am glad Almeida is back because he is one of my favorite characters, although I am one episode in and I don't fully accept him as a villain yet. I watched Redemption and surprisingly liked it, so I am hopeful.

quote:

Breaking Bad and Arrested Development

Jesus, I wish I was you and could watch those two shows for the first time again. You are in for a loving treat.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Annakie posted:

I finally finished watching Jericho over the weekend. I suppose I can see why people didn't like season 2 as much and you could tell where a lot of the budget cuts came from, but I still thought it was really good and I'm sad there wasn't more show. The ending was incredibly rushed though and I would have been pissed if that was the actual ending.

I binged through Jericho a couple months ago, and although it was campy and some of the characters cliche, it was well worth it. It was fun to watch. I thought the second season was pretty good. It expanded the universe a little bit, but it was definitely rushed and left me wanting a lot more. The Walking Dead has been the closest thing to Jericho, and it has been a complete let-down. It's unfortunate CBS didn't renew it and give it much more of a chance. Nuts.

Finally finished 24, and was surprised by the quality of seasons 7 and 8. After seasons 1 and 2, they are the next best. Now that I'm done with 24, I am finally going to loving do it. I'm going to watch :lost: for the first time. God help me.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Don't listen to this guy, seasons 1-4 of Lost are some pretty great tv. The internet echo chamber has turned 1 bad season of Lost, 1 iffy season and 4 good to great seasons into "HOLY poo poo LOST KILLED MY FAMILY AND poo poo IN MY MOUTH AAAAAAH."

I'm halfway through season 5 so far (yeah, I have been binging on this show by definition), and I have loved each season so far, for different reasons. My favorite episode BY FAR was The Constant, the one where Desmond slips in and out of time. I am assuming that the last season is the worst? Even if it is, it won't hurt my overall opinion of the first five seasons. I don't have high expectations for any major network series (LOST has far exceeded my expectations), and I accept that even if it is a good series, it will have a bad season or two. That is just how it works. The three or four bad seasons of 24 didn't hurt my opinion of the great seasons.

ultramagnetic posted:

I urge you not to. And whatever you do, do not watch Alias. I made the mistake of doing that when heard that Abrams was directing Star Trek. God drat is Alias terrible.

I never planned on watching Alias anyway because Jennifer Garner is an awful actress, but seeing as how you urged me not to watch LOST, I might give a shot sometime.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

kaworu posted:

And then you get to "episode 1", and while it's still good, it's immediately not at all the same. It feels way more like actual early 90's television, and the deep, dark color palette and depth of the cinematography in the pilot has been traded for something that looks and feels much more like actual television from 1990. Not that it's all bad, I mean, it is a great series, everything considered. But I think I've spoiled myself from only usually watching Fire Walk With Me or the pilot when I want my Twin Peaks fix.

It has been a couple of years since I watched the whole series for the first time, but I seem to recall the cinematography being way ahead of it's time, especially in the second season. I think you're right when you contrast the pilot against the rest of the first season, but I recall it getting a lot better. Either way, the plot, themes, and character development was definitely ahead of it's time, and it is amazing that it (barely) survived two seasons in the early 90's.

Goddamn, I want to re-watch this show now. After LOST, I plan on watching Luther, so maybe I will do a re-watch of Twin Peaks after that.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Just started re-watching Jericho, my girlfriend hadn't seen it before. Not sure what the general public thought of it, but I loved this show. I rarely get hooked on a show in the first episode, but this one got me.

It can be very campy, but camp isn't always a bad thing. Personally, I loved the show and the ending left a lot to be desired.

So I finally finished LOST. Season 6 is certainly the weakest season as many have said in this thread, but I still enjoyed it. I'm not the type to nitpick about little questions that were never answered, so it didn't anger me like the rest of the internet. And as much as I do not want to admit it, the last episode got to me. It almost made me tear up, ALMOST.

Now, I am in a quandary. I watched through The Booth at the End in a few days (which is FANTASTIC, by the way). I'm going to watch Luther, but after that I have nothing. I started watching Prison Break, and although I think it is a cool concept, I am a bit apprehensive after the first couple episodes. Should I continue watching, or is it not worth my time?

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Conduit for Sale! posted:

You're probably not going to listen to me, but you should watch The Vampire Diaries. Seriously. Unless you just have an irrevocable aversion to vampires, I am 90% sure that if you liked Lost you'll like The Vampire Diaries.

Well, I never could get into Buffy or True Blood, and I think I watched 5 minutes of Twilight and nearly vomited, but I wouldn't say I have an irrevocable aversion to vampires. The X-Files is one of my favorite shows of all time, and one of my favorite episodes was Bad Blood. So, that has to count for something. I will check it out, and it's on Netflix so that is a bonus.

I'm only three episodes in to Prison Break so far, so I will continue. I just wanted to know if it was worth it. I've asked around about it and it seems to get mixed reviews, but the general consensus seems to be that the first season is great television.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Thank you to the posters who suggested that I keep watching Prison Break. I'm through episode 10 now, and I am totally into it. The two-parter Riots, Drills, and the Devil were two of the most intense hours of television I have seen (outside of Breaking Bad and The Wire). It's nothing groundbreaking, but it is a cool concept (if borrowed from Shawshank Redemption) executed in a unique way, and a lot of the characters are very likeable, and very unlikeable in a good way (T-bag).

Also, I would like to further the sentiment that WWI deserves more love in television and movies. WWII is far more sexier because we have been inundated with it in school and in popular culture. I'm looking at you History (Hitler UFO) Channel. WWI and the events preceding it are just as fascinating, and it is a shame it doesn't get more coverage in school and media.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Flatscan posted:

Just to forewarn you, there's a huge drop in quality from season three onwards. The last half of season 4 is almost unwatchable.

So I've heard, but I will watch it anyway. There seems to be mixed reviews. Like I previously mentioned, I watched season 6 of Lost, and I didn't hate it like everybody else. It wasn't nearly as good as the rest of the series, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment of the first five seasons. Same goes for 24.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

FadingChord posted:

Since the beginning of the month, I've binged through all of Daria and the first six seasons of How I Met Your Mother and re-watched the first season of Archer and the third (and best) season of Boston Legal. I think either Mad Men, Breaking Bad, or Lost is next. Or finally watch non-Dalek (:3:) and non-Cybermen (:mitt:) episodes of Doctor Who.

Daria and How I Met Your Mother are both really, really good, even if HIMYM takes a pretty sharp dive in consistency in the later seasons (much like other series, it gets John Lithgow to breathe some life into it for a few good episodes).

Unemployment is a hell of a drug.

Do Lost, Mad Men, and Breaking Bad in that order. That way, when you are disappointed that you are finished with one awesome show, you have an even better show to watch next. But after all of that you will be depressed about having to wait another year until new Mad Men and Breaking Bad.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

pahuyuth posted:

Prison Break is one of my favorite shows behind The X-Files, The Wire, and Lost. The first season is one of the best seasons of TV ever.

T-Bag is so creepily cool and awesome.

Those three are definitely in my top 10, so I would say that you have good taste sir. I just finished season 1 and have started season 2. It isn't the greatest show ever, but it is entertaining as hell. A lot of people said there is a dropoff in quality, but judging from the first three eps of season 2, I would say that it hasn't skipped a beat. T-Bag is one of my favorites so far, even if he is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat killer. The way he delivers the line to the veterinarian "my hand has been in this cooler for hours, it is dying" after he got his hand chopped off by Abruzzi was perfect, and had me busting up laughing. I will have to check out that episode of Breakout Kings, even though I watched a couple episodes of it and got bored.

richardfun posted:

Nikita (everybody should watch this loving show. It has no business being as good as it is, but it just is)

I've seen Nikita get a lot of love, and it has Xander Berkeley in it, so I will have to check this out too. I would have never thought about watching shows like Nikita and Vampire Diaries without this thread.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

fanbase posted:

I just finished Prison Break season 1 and am a couple episodes into the second season. So far, I am loving it.

The first season and the first few episodes of season two are excellent, and then it starts to drop off in quality. I got halfway through season two and stopped about a week ago. I will go back to it at some point, but for now I am watching Firefly. I could never get into Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, and I watched episodes 4-7 of Star Wars, and was mildly entertained by them at best. But I am totally buying into Firefly. Too bad it's all going to be over in 8 more episodes :smith:

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

richardfun posted:

Don't forget Serenity, the Firefly movie.

I had no idea this existed. Thank you! I thought they just did the 14 episodes and that was it.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

In anticipation for Homeland, and because I'm trying to watch Firefly as slowly as possible, I started watching Damian Lewis' other lead role in Life. I'm not big on cop dramas, but I heard good things and it was on my Netflix queue so I decided to give it a shot. The first season was pretty bland and I was skeptical at first, but it turns out to be a fun show once you get to the end of season 1 and into season 2. Damian Lewis is great as Charlie Crews, and it's interesting seeing him in a role other than Nicholas Brody.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Van Kraken posted:

I just recently started watching The X-Files, and plowed through season 1. I thought it was great, but I heard that the quality takes a massive nosedive towards the end of the show. Is there a point where I should cut my losses and pretend it ended there, or is it good enough to finish anyways?

The myth arc gets very convoluted after season 5 or so, but seasons 6 and 7 are well worth watching for some of the best MotW episodes the series has produced. Impressions of season 8 and 9 range from terrible to mediocre, but even 8 and 9 has some MotW gems. But without spoiling anything, that is when the myth arc becomes very confusing, unorganized, and sometimes downright stupid. And don't get me started on the series finale. But if you love the show up until that point, I would recommend seeing it all through. You can always just erase it from your memory and remember the good parts of those seasons.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I'm almost finished with season one of Fringe (Thank you Science channel, even if it makes no sense you are airing it). All this time I avoided it, because in my mind I thought it was a cheap, flashy reboot of the X-Files with dull characters played by bad actors, and I couldn't have been more incorrect. There are obvious similarities of course, but it is awesome in its own way. I've been craving a good X-Files/Lost style myth-arc since I finished watching Lost a few months ago. Hopefully the story is better executed than those two. I'm so excited to watch the rest of this show now. It's both a good thing and a bad thing that Science is airing only three episodes a week, because I can't actually binge through it. If I could I absolutely would, but my social life would surely suffer.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

xgalaxy posted:

Fringe is awesome and you should be ashamed of yourself for avoiding it.

I am. I intend to take my life in the most disgusting manner possible. Once I'm finished watching the rest of the series of course.

I was told by a friend that it gets exponentially better as the series goes on (his words). This seems to be the consensus from what I have heard. Is this true? Because the first season, so far, is really loving good.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Hansen85 posted:

I'd say the first half of season 2 [FRINGE] is the low point, but ignoring that, I'd agree that it mostly just gets better and better as it goes on.

I kept this post in mind while I watched the first half or so of Fringe, and I enjoyed it for the most part. I was pretty annoyed by the fact that one of the episodes was out of order. I was confused as gently caress when I saw Charlie Francis out of nowhere after he died 10 episodes ago, but quickly found out that the episode was intended to be aired during the first season. So I figured if this is the low point, how good can this show get? I just finished the episodes Jacksonsville and Peter, and holy... loving... poo poo. This show is on another level now. I love where this is going. I'm thinking about circumventing the Science Channel's terrible scheduling and either buying the seasons on iTunes (I have some gift cards) and/or on DVD. Does anybody know a better, cheaper (and legal) way of watching Fringe? It's not on Netflix and Hulu only airs 5 episodes at a time.

Coffee And Pie posted:

After I see the new season of Breaking Bad, I intend to go through all of the X-Files, wish me luck.

Good luck getting past the seventh season. Other than that it is well worth it.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jesus, VagueRant, you have completely sold me on Nikita. I have seen quite a few posts in this thread lauding it, but I think you have motivated me to finally give it a shot. Will report back later. For now I am binging through Terriers. Not the greatest crime drama ever, but it's pretty fun and not a big time commitment at 13 episodes.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

pahuyuth posted:

I hope you enjoy Terriers as much as I did. I thought the chemistry between Donal Logue and Michael Raymond-James was great and while I might be in the minority I really liked the ending. It's a shame the show ended so soon :(

Oh yeah, Logue and Raymond-James totally make the show. I was also pleasantly surprised by seeing Christopher Cousins. I can watch Christopher Cousins being hit by a car and slowly dying from a brain injury or tripping over a rug, snapping his neck, and having oranges rain on him all day and it will still be funny.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Khorne Flakes posted:

Also, Terriers was one of those shows you wish you could forget and watch again. I just want to know which way they turn at the end!

I finally finished Terriers tonight. I tried stretching it out as long as I could by watching one or two episodes a week. I am so pissed it got canned. There was an impeccable chemistry between Hank and Britt, they were an awesome duo. I should have just saved myself the heartbreak and never watched it. Although I am satisfied with the way it ended. They absolutely went straight. Hank and Britt had too much unfinished business in Ocean Beach to just run off to Mexico on a whim.

As far as Fringe goes, I am PISSED that Science Channel dropped it in the middle of the third season. What a bunch of dicks. How many more viewers do re-runs of How Its Made get than Fringe? I guess I just have to wait until I get my tax return to buy the DVDs.

Now I am slowly working my way through House of Cards. Being a fan of political dramas and David Fincher puts it right up my alley. Cannot wait to finish this season so I can post in the official thread without being spoiled, but I am employing the same strategy as I did with Terriers.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

You can watch Fringe on Amazon Prime

I didn't know that, thank you! I might just do the 30 day free trial and try to finish it all in that time. I sure as hell am not spending 79 bucks for a membership when I already dish out 8 bucks a month for Netflix and Hulu. And I hardly use Hulu.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Senator Incitatus posted:

I'm in season 2 of Shameless (US). This show is amazing I can't believe it isn't more famous. The show makes a great depiction of what being poor is actually feels and is funny as hell. Does anyone knows if the UK version is just as good? and do they differ plot wise?

I love Shameless, it is probably in my top 5 right now. I'm glad more people are starting to watch it. I tried watching the UK version, and I just couldn't get into it. It is too soap opera-y, in my opinion, which apparently is part of the appeal if you're into that.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Khorne Flakes posted:

I watched the first episode of the UK one some time back, and I have never been so lost in dialogue ever. The actors of the UK version have such thick accents that I couldn't tell what the hell they were saying. I've watched quite a bit of UK shows and I am use to that thick accent, but holy poo poo it was like they were speaking alien.

Okay, so it wasn't just me who had a hard time following the dialogue. And I love a lot of British television and films too. I thought I was just being a stereotypical stupid American.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I don't think plowing forward is gonna do much because the show isn't going to change, you've got to adapt how you look at it before it will click. Maybe there are some people out there that kept at it and mid-show it all started coming together for them, but every success story I know has involved the person dropping the show for awhile and coming back after a month/year starting at the pilot again but with soft eyes.

This is exactly what I did, and it worked out for me. I watched the first season, and I mildly enjoyed it. I came back to it on many recommendations a year later to watch season 2, but decided to re-watch season 1 for the hell of it, and it all clicked after the 6th or 7th episode. That was a couple years ago, and it is probably about time I re-watch it all again. Thank you HBOGO.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

So, I just finished watching the pilot for The Shield, and I'm hooked already. This is going to be a full-on binge. I pretty much have nothing else that I'm watching right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard fans of the show say they didn't really like the first few episodes? If that's the case, then I will probably love this show because that was an amazing pilot, in my opinion. I did NOT see that coming. Holy poo poo, Vic Mackey.

And yeah, Twin Peaks is awesome. I haven't seen Fire Walk With Me, and I heard that it isn't really worth it. Maybe I will give it a shot now.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

richardfun posted:

The pilot is amazing. The rest of the first season does seem a bit aimless at times though, but it's still pretty drat good. After season 1, it only gets better. I envy you, watching it for the first time.

I'm pumped. I haven't been this excited about binging through a show (that had a long run) since I watched Lost last year.

Rocksicles posted:

Just did a marathon of Terriers

It seems like a lot of people (including myself) are watching Terriers lately. I wonder how well it's doing on Netflix. Obviously I am living in fantasy land here, but I wonder if Terriers is a show they look at and consider bringing back on Netflix if it's getting a lot of views. It seems like it would be an inexpensive show to produce. Look at what happened to The Killing, and it's a terrible show, but it's inexpensive enough to justify bringing it back. I can't imagine that Donal Logue and Michael Raymond-James would demand that large of a contract. Again, it's fantasy land, but I can dream.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Jingleheimer posted:

Just finished season 1 of The Shield. I happened to enjoy every bit of it, but I can see where some people might be kind if meh about it. The finale was pretty loving intense, and I'm very happy to know that it only gets better from here.

I just finished season 1 too. I thought it was incredible. Sure, it gets a bit aimless through the middle bulk of the season, and there are a few liberties taken and some convenient twists, but I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I don't really see what could be "meh" about it. I never thought I would like it because I'm not big on police dramas and procedurals, but it's so much more than that. You should check out the newbie thread.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Can anyone think of anything else I should try? Hated Mad Men after the first two episodes, couldn't get into Girls, and gave up on The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs, 24, and Walking Dead (after its short first season) and have no desire to revisit or complete them.

Well, if you have HBO on demand, I highly suggest Curb Your Enthusiasm since I didn't see you mention it. Even if you have seen it before, it is just as good the second time. I'm currently re-watching it, along with watching The Shield for the first time.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

For anybody who is interested, Fringe is streaming on Netflix now. This makes me so happy. The Science channel canned it in the middle of the third season in favor of re-runs of How It's Made. Assholes. Once I'm done with The Shield, I'm going to pick it back up again.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Lugaloco posted:

Having binged through all of Boardwalk Empire over the Christmas break, I can definitively say it gets better. As other posters have said however, it's pretty great from the beginning. It's kind of like The Wire in that respect, you're a little confused about who is who and just what the hell is going on for about half/two thirds of the season but after a certain episode it all starts to click. For The Wire it's oddly enough the episode called "The Wire" (episode 6). The episode everything started to click on Boardwalk for me was "Paris Green", the penultimate episode of season 1. Also, watch it in 2-3 episode chunks. Everything just feels more cohesive and everything that happened will still be fresh in your memory. You still might not know everyone's name, but you know roughly where they lie and their motivations.

Season 2 builds on this exponentially in my opinion, having one of the greatest season finales in television. Season 3 holds to the same standard as season 2 and the recently released trailer for season 4 has bumped Boardwalk up to my most anticipated comeback show of 2013.

Yep, even trumping Breaking Bad. Though that might change when the trailer for that is inevitably released :ohdear:

I never really thought of Boardwalk Empire in that regard relating to The Wire, but you're absolutely right. It does "click" after a few episodes once you get to know who's who, and keeps getting better and better. Season 2 was exponentially better than season 1, but in my opinion season 3 is exponentially better than season 2. Season 1 is a bit slow at times, but it is absolutely worth the time investment.

Throatwarbler posted:

EDIT: I keep saying I'm going to start up The Shield again but I can't work up the motivation. I've started another rewatch of The Wire instead. :smith:

If you do decide to watch The Shield, post your reactions in The Shield thread. I recently finished The Shield, and I can tell you that part of the fun is posting in that thread.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

The Fall Belfast serial killer cop show, gritty, got some really great camera work, Gillian Anderson is in it. First season just finished in the UK, Check it

Oh man, I forgot about this one. I saw a preview a few months ago and got really excited about it. And bonus - it's on Netflix. I'm definitely checking this out, it looks really good.

Rocksicles posted:

After someone told me it is the french version of The Shield i'm watching Braquo... they weren't wrong, but its got swearing, and titties.

Set in Paris, aired in 2009 and 2011, two seasons so far, supposedly cancelled but apparently there is another season this year.

Urge to check it out.

Another crime drama I really want to watch, especially after just finishing The Shield for the first time, but the ignorant American in me can't get over subtitles. Just curious if you speak French, and if having to read subtitles takes anything away from it.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Rapsey posted:

It's gritty and dark as hell. Also if you like David Lynch it's the show for you (some very obvious but very well done homages to him).

I don't think it goes into horror territory more then a couple of times. Unless you consider showing mutilated bodies horror. Whether you liked the movies or not should not be a factor if you like the show. It's very different.

Well drat, I'm sold. You had me at David Lynch. I was going to start "The Fall" tonight, but it looks like I'm watching Hannibal instead.

edit:
Just watched the pilot. Pretty drat solid, and I can see the Lynch influence. I have no idea who these actors are who play Dr. Lecter and Will, but I like them already. Too bad I only recorded the first three episodes, and that NBC only carries 5 episodes at a time on demand. Looks like I'll be 9 bucks poorer.

Exploder fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 16, 2013

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Crunkjuice posted:

Whats the opinion of Prison Break?

The first season is excellent, but honestly, I got kind of bored halfway through season 2 and stopped. It's not that it was terrible, it just wasn't living up to season 1 in my opinion. I probably should go back and try to finish it, because I hear that it gets better.

edit:

kloa posted:

IIRC just watch season 1 and pretend the other seasons do not exist.

I watched all of it though, because I watched it as it aired and wasn't aware how bad it would become.

Well, there you go. Maybe I made the right decision.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

The Duke posted:

Should've went with the original title "Beach Dicks", I think more people would've tuned in out of curiosity alone. All I ask is that someday it gets a decent DVD or BD release, even though I know it's unlikely at this point :(

I'll do one better. I still hold on to the hope that it gets picked back up by Netflix or something. That definitely won't happen.

Rocksicles posted:

FX should have learned by now people LOVE this show. Almost impossible to come across a bad word about it, outside of the advertising clusterfuck.

I remember when it came out, I thought "This looks like a dumb show, starring the guy from Grounded for Life. And it has a stupid name to boot." Two years later I watch it and love it, and blame myself for not watching it when it aired, when in reality it was FX's fault it got cancelled.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Lugaloco posted:

I know it sounds dumb but you have to treat season 1 of Boardwalk like a prologue to season 2. From then on Boardwalk is just fantastic but it really, really likes to set poo poo up. Personally I think it's one of the show's greatest strengths since that set up always pays off but it may be jarring if you're not used to that kind of program structure.

I've grown to love the set-up just as much as the pay off. You may feel like you are bombarded with characters, storylines, and locations in seasons one and two, and I know that I had a hard time following it all at times, but you grow to love/hate and appreciate each character and story. Once you get towards the end of season 2 and season 3, you'll understand. Boardwalk Empire rewards you handsomely for watching and paying attention, but understand that it isn't for everybody. Now that Breaking Bad is over, I would venture to say that BE and Eastbound and Down are in a dead heat for best show currently on television.

Spalec posted:

I've just started watching The X Files on Netflix, I've seen episodes here and there back when it was on live but I never sat down and watched week to week. I'm enjoying it already, although some of the 90's as poo poo tech/fashions is very funny.

It amazes me that despite the awful technology and fashion, the subject matter in a lot of the MotW episodes are still very relevant today. I won't name specifics because I don't want to spoil anything, however minor, but they were talking about advancements in technology, medicine, and biology on this show that we are still developing and just learning about now in 2013. There were a lot of concepts that I didn't even know existed in the 90's. I still binge-watch the X-Files every two to three years or so, and I can say that it has aged very well. Yes, they hosed up the mythology in the last few seasons, but I still enjoy the mythology up until about season 5.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Orange is the New Black has been burning a hole in my Netflix queue for some time. For the longest time, I thought it was going to be nothing but a long chick flick set in prison. I mean, look at the title of the show. Any time I hear "x is the new x", I cringe. But I finally gave it a shot, and I like it so far.

SymfonyMan posted:

I guess I'll be that guy. The girlfriend and I just gave up on Breaking Bad. I was told to come back and give my impressions so here we go. We made it to season 4 episode 2 and we both hate it. It is just non stop boredom and then ten minutes of something worthwhile. The mom is horrible, the son is horrible, the sister in-law is horrible. Basically 70% of the screen time is dedicated to poo poo I really don't care about. It's just trudging through a bunch of lame trope-filled BS until something cool happens. Bob Odenkirk is one of the only highlights of the entire show for me. I'm giving up on Breaking Bad. I just don't care what even happens. It's not the actor, but the plot. I think everything that has happened in the first 3 seasons could have been condensed down to one awesome season.

I feel like people like Breaking Bad for the little cool moments. For me, that's not enough. I'm utterly bored to death by it.

I loved everything about it. Even the "slow" parts. I feel like it flows very well, and very fast at times. On my current re-watch, I feel like they condensed about 10 or 15 seasons of material down to 6. But, to each their own. I can understand why some people are put off by the character drama elements of the show, but I loved it all.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

whatshesaid posted:

Keep watching!! I loved it so much that I watched the entire season in like 36 hours. Really looking forward to season 2.

It officially clicked for me. I just blew through 4 episodes in a row. The characters are very well written and compelling. My personal favorites so far are Red, Taystee, Burset, Mendez, and Healy. Really, I like all of the characters so far, except for maybe Alex. I love the running bit whenever Piper is on the phone, there's the crying woman in the background. It gets me every time. I can foresee myself finishing this in the next couple of days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

I'm finally getting around to finishing Fringe. I was watching it around this time last year when they were airing it on the Science Channel, but they axed it a couple episodes into season 3. I kept putting it off, even when they released it on Netflix, and I feared I would be completely lost if I picked it up where I left off. But no, it's all coming back, even with all the crazy alternate universe shenanigans, and I use that term positively. This show is amazing, and I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

Trig Discipline posted:

Weird, I would say it was exactly the opposite. The wife and I really liked the first few seasons, but we've found the last two to be almost completely unwatchable. It's still funny in spurts, but it's mostly become a string of monkey cheese bullshit with such painfully obvious setups that it's barely tolerable enough to watch it for those few funny bits. We're right on the edge of stopping watching it entirely.

I mean to each their own, and I'm not trying to talk you out of enjoying it, but we've just found recent seasons so bad that it's surprising to me that someone else thinks it's getting better.

Comedy is very subjective. I've found that most people can come to a consensus on which episodes/seasons of a drama are the best, but it's not the case with comedies. The League and It's Always Sunny are perfect examples. I mildly enjoyed the first season, and loved seasons 2, 3, and 4 of the League, but absolutely hated this last season. It feels to me like they rely too much on inside jokes and potty humor, and it's getting boring and old. It's interesting because Sunny does the same thing, but I feel like they make great use of inside jokes and callbacks, and it's a better show for it. That's my opinion, at least.