Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Rewatching Deadwood at the moment and loving it. I'm picking up so much more than i did the first time around. Mainly because the first time i watched it i would put it on before bed and fall asleep in and out the whole episode and just miss stuff.

There are still some really weird scenes that i honestly don't get what is going on or the thoughts behind peoples actions though. Maybe they are mistakes or terrible writing like i think or maybe it's the whole "high-art" thing going on.

Edit: Might just ask the questions in the deadwood thread if there is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just finished season one of Damages and i thought it was pretty loving cool. It doesn't seem to get any love around these parts but i think it was a blast to watch.

I did a little clap and smiled for the next 10 minutes once the final credits rolled.

About to start season 2 and i haven't heard great things about it. Should i stop watching now or is the rest of the show worth watching?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you've binged some 2019 shows that you loved, why not let us know in the end of year poll?! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905825

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
If you've been binging any 2020 shows, don't forget to come by the Annual TVIV Poll thread to cast a vote for your favourite shows of the year.

Thread can be found here
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217

:siren:Deadline is 12:01AM Monday 18th PST:siren:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Knowing that Vikings is coming to end and that I can't run AC: Valhalla I've turned to The Last Kingdom for my Old English warfare fix. I've got through the first two seasons in a week and just start3d the third.

For some reason, I've disliked the both the start of season 2 and 3 but end up enjoying them. I feel like the show struggles with reintroducing where everything is at. Speaking of introductions, the previously ons are both super helpful and also the most cringe things ever. "I am Uthred son of Uthred" "Destiny is always". Uuugh.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel like The Last Kingdom is like HBO’s Rome while Vikings is like Showtimes Spartacus. But Vikings.

Granted I haven't got to the higher budget Netflix seasons but I have to disagree with you there.

Vikings is more than happy to let the show breath. It's also willing to get a lot more religious and mystical.

Meanwhile Last Kingdom is just go go go all the time. It's insane how it just goes:

Scene 1: Daring escape from bad guy stronghold
Scene 2: Escapee talks to the king and tells them they need to attack now. Scene continues once escapee leaves the room and king talks to council saying "we need to think about it".
Scene 3: All out attack on bad guy stronhold. Rescues the damsel
Scene 4: 6 months later and Damsel has fallen for escapee and is asking their hand in marriage.

That's a hell of a lot more Spartacus than Rome.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah I guess I was just projecting my own bias. I didn’t like Spartacus and had to give up on Vikings.

Did you watch Spartacus past season 1? That show got infinitely better. I'd like to think there was actual changes made (they toned down on the awful 300-esque slow mo) but it was probably just a case of the viewer being more tuned in to the tone and style of the show.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the club friend.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, that's genuinely the Golden Age of TV as far as I'm concerned.

It's literally what Sepinwall called it. You're definitely not alone.

04-06 has to be king. Not only did you have premium cable making GBS threads out gold with everything they did but mainstream TV was pumping out mega hits too (that we're good)

You had comedy with Desperate Housewives, Arrested Development, peak South Park, relevant Family Guy, Malcolm in the Middle and the birth of The Office.

You had the juggernaut medical/legal dramas with ER, Grey's Anatomy, The West Wing, Boston Legal, House MD all at the height of their powers.

You had good serialised drama on network TV with 24, Lost, Prison Break, Heroes.

And you still had the likes of Law and Order hanging around and CSI at it's height.

You also had the perfect storm of appointment television creating the water cooler/schoolyard conversation as well as the Internet becoming mainstream.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HOLY gently caress posted:

Now I’m watching Mindhunter which I’m really enjoying. It’s one of those shows where an episode just flies by and the hour’s over before I know it.

Season 2 is pretty rough.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:Hi All. Just jumping in the thread to remind everyone that our 2021 edition of the TVIV Poll is now open for submissions. We'd love to hear about your favourite shows of the year, and you might discover a new favourite while you're there. You can find the 10th Annual TVIV Viewers Poll there.

Didn't watch much 2021 TV? Never fear! To celebrate the fact that the poll has been going for 10 years, we're also running a Best TV shows of the last decade poll as well. Whether you lament the current TV landscape, just don't have time to watch much TV these days, or just love talking about your favourite shows, please jump in the thread and provide your lists.

The more people we have participating, the better it is for everyone! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
:siren:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wafflecopper posted:

I would but if I'm reading it right it's only for new shows. There's also the full decade thread but that's way more effort than I want to put in to voting for tv. Like imagine if in an election you had to list your preferred parties/candidates in order and also write a blurb for each one justifying your vote. gently caress that. Voter turnout is low enough as it is.

No, it's any show that aired in 2021. The new show list is just to remind people of new stuff that aired.

And a blurb? Dude, just write a goddam sentence. God forbid someone asks you to provide a tweet worth of content around why you liked something.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s the tone that’s the issue. It’s insufferably smug, and talks down to everyone. This review lays it out much better than I could.

Yeah, I don't agree. Reviewer complains about the president being indistinguishable between left and right. That's the point, all politics is hosed in the US.

Reviewer then complains that the media satire in insane, why would they ignore an apocalypse? They love the end of the world. That's his point, the media will follow the agenda of the people in power.

Reviewer even highlights "this was written during the pandemic, doomscrolling was a thing, how oblivious is this guy". Does the reviewer not remember the depressing content of said doomscrolling? It wasn't "were all gonna die it's the end of the world" it was "covid doesn't exist, masks are pointless, vaccines don't work and it's all a conspiracy" You know... Ignoring reality and science, the exact point of the film.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You can jump into 1883 straight after for the prequel Western!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I'd recommend Sharp Objects instead if you haven't seen it already.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Buttchocks posted:

More like Boremyass: Immortal Pacing.

I chuckled. Thanks for that.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
There's still about 12 hours to submit your nominations for this years Top 10 Poll. Apologies, I won't be PM'ing any previous years participants, but hopefully it's been up long enough that people have noticed it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'd love if Nathan For You came back. More of that character on screen would be a delight.

Can't believe his Seth Myers appearance around the wedding suit has been removed from YouTube. It completely destroys the trilogy of appearances on Conan, Kimmel, Myers that tie into the episode.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

So far the only real misstep has been that awful Netflix breaking bad movie so the BBverse gets cautious optimism from me.

Ok, it wasn't a groundbreaking triumph, but awful? C'mon dude, it felt just like a 2 hour special episode of more Breaking Bad.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hi All. Just popping in to the general TV threads to make you aware that the Annual TVIV Best of the Year poll is currently open. If you've watched TV over the last year and would like to let people know what you've been watching, please drop by the thread and share.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020189

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just finished watching Band of Brothers for what is probably the 10th time, but probably the first time in a decade as I just picked up the Blu-Rays.

gently caress that's a good series. Can't wait til my kids are old enough to watch it with me.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't that the theme last time?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

sad question posted:

It was western last time.

Ah yes, woops, I got confused with Futureman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Smashed out Jury Duty in a couple of days. Highly enjoyable. Not nearly as cruel as I thought it would be. The Office-esque stuff not concerning the Mark were also pretty hilarious.