Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I would love an HSA but I'm in a fairly bitchin EPO/HMO, not a HDHP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dexter6 posted:

After age 65 you can use HSA money for anything. And HSA money can be invested in index funds just like your retirement. And it rolls over from year to year. And you can use it for medical expenses at any point in your life. You can only contribute while on a HDHP.

Okay, so it lasts forever, I can't roll it into anything else, but otherwise it's like IRA space that you can also use for health expenses?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

alnilam posted:

Okay, so it lasts forever, I can't roll it into anything else, but otherwise it's like IRA space that you can also use for health expenses?

That's right. It isn't like an FSA where the money goes away. You cannot rollover the HSA funds into an IRA or 401k, but you can transfer HSA money from one account to another HSA account.

If you don't spend the HSA money on qualified medical expenses, you can make withdrawals at age 65, where then you will have to pay income tax on the amount you withdrew.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 14, 2020

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
You really shouldn't use HSAs for your medical expenses unless you literally cannot afford it otherwise. They're basically another tax savings tool, and you essentially waste a lot of the value of it if you immediately take the money out to cover medical expenses that you could have covered with your freely available cash.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah if your savings can absorb the cost of this medical thing you need right now then it is better to just pay it yourself and let the HSA money continue to grow tax-free for another decade or two.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I disagree. Use it now. Unless you like keeping paperwork for 30 years to reimburse yourself.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

nelson posted:

I disagree. Use it now. Unless you like keeping paperwork for 30 years to reimburse yourself.
What, are you not expecting to have large medical expenses in retirement?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's reasonable (albeit laughable) to think the state of healthcare in the USA may have changed for the better in 30 years. It literally can't get worse!

Personally I max out my HSA to get my taxable income down, to let my HSA funds grow, and to allow me to pay for any medical expenses with pre-tax money. By virtue of good luck, I don't have any/many healthcare expenses currently, but if I did, I wouldn't think twice about spending HSA funds on 'em

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^What?!? universal healthcare. the dream...

nelson posted:

I usually do the same because it is medical money. Maybe not the absolute best use of funds but whatever. The truth is that your medical expenses in retirement are going to be way more than you can save in an HSA most likely so you don't really need to ever save anything for reimbursement.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
After 65 you can spend it all on hookers and blow if you want, no medical record-keeping required.

edit: Unless your hookers and blow are medicinal, in which case you will be able to pay for them tax-free from your HSA with proper documentation.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 14, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This cocaine is an important diagnostic drug for a serious opthalneurological condition!!

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
In other words:

For your whole life, you can use it for qualified medical expenses and pay no taxes. But you should probably wait until you're older and let that poo poo grow.

Once you're 65, that money now is like 401k money, you can use it for anything you just gotta pay the government tax on the money when you use it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It literally can't get worse!

lol if you think this

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

lol if you think this

I'm confident that in 2050 we won't be spending USD on medical care

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I’m maxing out a HSA every year and saving paperwork for thirty years to reimburse myself is exactly the plan. I’m not even particularly organized, I just keep an expanding file sorted by year and also scan all the bills as backup. I’m not exceptionally organized either. This isn’t difficult.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Loucks posted:

I’m maxing out a HSA every year and saving paperwork for thirty years to reimburse myself is exactly the plan. I’m not even particularly organized, I just keep an expanding file sorted by year and also scan all the bills as backup. I’m not exceptionally organized either. This isn’t difficult.

And you can always selectively do it, if you have a $5000 expense somewhere that receipt is worth, well, 500 $10 copay receipts. Google Drive on android has a great scan feature I use to organize my FSA, work, and other expenses/documents. Make sure you pay attention to the color setting, if you force "black and white" you will wind up with TINY files.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

What kind of paperwork exactly do you need to save to use the HSA in retirement? Are there annual contribution statements that you get or something?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

alnilam posted:

What kind of paperwork exactly do you need to save to use the HSA in retirement? Are there annual contribution statements that you get or something?

Receipts for medical expenses let you take the money out tax free (never taxed.) Without them you have to pay income tax on gains. Sounds really worth it to me to pull trad money to the lowest tax bracket, then draw HSA with receipts to get tax free money, blending in some Roth or whatever makes sense based on your balances.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Question on what to do with a 401k and setting up a new one.

I have a Roth 401k from a previous employer at Fidelity. My new employer also has a 401k at Fidelity. Should I:
1) Roll over the old 401k into an IRA at Fidelity (or elsewhere)
2) Add the old 401k funds to the new 401k
(Assuming my fund selection is adequate and equivalent on either account)

In addition:
My income at the new job puts me over the $139k limit for contributing to a Roth IRA. Can (or should) I open a Roth 401k at the new employer, or should I opt for a traditional 401k? Would this income limit make a difference in what I do with the old Roth 401k?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Question on what to do with a 401k and setting up a new one.

I have a Roth 401k from a previous employer at Fidelity. My new employer also has a 401k at Fidelity. Should I:
1) Roll over the old 401k into an IRA at Fidelity (or elsewhere)
2) Add the old 401k funds to the new 401k
(Assuming my fund selection is adequate and equivalent on either account)

In addition:
My income at the new job puts me over the $139k limit for contributing to a Roth IRA. Can (or should) I open a Roth 401k at the new employer, or should I opt for a traditional 401k? Would this income limit make a difference in what I do with the old Roth 401k?
My recommendation: if the fund selection is good enough, roll it in to your new 401k.

I prefer this approach for two reasons:
1. All of your 401k money is in one place (so less likely you’d lose account of it, you’d be surprised how many people have random accounts all over the place...)
2. You leave your traditional IRA space open at $0 balance to do your Backdoor Roths annually.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a reason a Roth 401k wouldn't work because of my income?

I'm above the $139k Roth IRA threshold, if it matters for a Roth 401k at all. I can open the new 401k Trad or Roth, but the old 401k is a Roth (and I prefer Roth if possible).

e: I'm in a Vanguard TD with a ER = 0.15% if that makes a difference

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 15, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a reason a Roth 401k wouldn't work because of my income?

The new 401k is (potentially) a Roth, though I'm above the $139k Roth IRA threshold, if it matters for a Roth 401k at all.

401k plays by its own dumb rules. Make a tax treatment decision without regard for income limits. However, there are a bunch of Highly Compensated Employee games your employer has to do, so make sure your company does that dance correctly, and encourage your lower paid coworkers to contribute as much as humanly possible.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

dexter6 posted:

1. All of your 401k money is in one place (so less likely you’d lose account of it, you’d be surprised how many people have random accounts all over the place...).

Note that this is pretty well mitigated already by Fidelity holding both accounts.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

H110Hawk posted:

401k plays by its own dumb rules. Make a tax treatment decision without regard for income limits. However, there are a bunch of Highly Compensated Employee games your employer has to do, so make sure your company does that dance correctly, and encourage your lower paid coworkers to contribute as much as humanly possible.

I'm not concerned about the tax treatment as I am about the logistics.

Like I don't want to transfer the old funds into a newly-opened Roth 401k and then find out that there's all sorts of problems contributing to it and I have to figure out how to re-allocate everything

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Like I don't want to transfer the old funds into a newly-opened Roth 401k and then find out that there's all sorts of problems contributing to it and I have to figure out how to re-allocate everything

If your new choices are materially similar to the old ones, then just roll it over into the new 401k so you aren't beholden to the old place changing things. No ill will come of it.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

PRADA SLUT posted:

401ks don't have the income limits on contributions that IRAs do, so you could continue making contributions to a ROTH 401k with no issues (assuming your newer employer offers that option, which seems pretty common now). In my experience, Fidelity makes it pretty easy to send your contributions to whatever combination of traditional and ROTH that you want and to change that distribution at any time, so you should be in good shape.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

I guess I'm adding to the confusion, because rolling over your old Roth 401k into a new Roth 401k is a fine choice. But . . .

If your old 401k is a Roth 401k, you could also roll it over into Roth IRA. dexter6's point 2. below would not be relevant in your case, since you wouldn't be creating traditional IRA funds in your case. Also, point 1. isn't that relevant, since presumably you have a Roth IRA account, since you are aware of the Roth IRA income threshold.

dexter6 posted:

My recommendation: if the fund selection is good enough, roll it in to your new 401k.

I prefer this approach for two reasons:
1. All of your 401k money is in one place (so less likely you’d lose account of it, you’d be surprised how many people have random accounts all over the place...)
2. You leave your traditional IRA space open at $0 balance to do your Backdoor Roths annually.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
My employer is converting all our target date retirement funds to trust plus retirement funds - anyone have experience with these? the plan document is pretty brief and I feel like it’s ominous that it says at the bottom “this is not a mutual fund”

Here’s the old vs new:

And the description:

Thoughts?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Mad Wack posted:

My employer is converting all our target date retirement funds to trust plus retirement funds - anyone have experience with these? the plan document is pretty brief and I feel like it’s ominous that it says at the bottom “this is not a mutual fund”

Here’s the old vs new:

And the description:

Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure that's just a lower-cost version of the same fund? Nothing to worry about, maybe try to find a prospectus but the underlying allocation looks identical from the example prospectus' I found online. Congrats on saving some pennies

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
What are the recommendations for keeping an emergency fund in an account that does anything useful.

Basically I have about a fifth of mine in a savings account that I can access instantly. The remaining 80% I have set in an individual brokerage account, mostly in bond ETFs and about 10% in a money market fund.

While not the most tax advantaged I didn't want to risk the emergency fund and it was better than keeping the cash under my mattress but are there any other funds that make sense for this kind of use?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Eldred posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just a lower-cost version of the same fund? Nothing to worry about, maybe try to find a prospectus but the underlying allocation looks identical from the example prospectus' I found online. Congrats on saving some pennies

I believe this is correct.

A trust is a different legal structure than a typical mutual fund. In this case trying to accomplish the same thing as the fund.

Technically the trust owns the money not you once they get it, but they are of course obligated to follow through on the stated goal.

I think the primary benefit is less reporting requirements, but someone might be able to confirm that. You tend to see lower fees because of this.

It shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Thanks, that helps a lot! Normally they just keep making our benefits better but with everything going on I was concerned

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
E fund is pretty much "keep up with inflation". Even bonds might be too risky/illiquid but that's also bluring a bit into how much risk you want to handle with your overall allocation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mad Wack posted:

Here’s the old vs new:

And the description:

Thoughts?

We have Vanguard Trusts in our 401k for the S&P 500 and the total US bond market. They are exactly the same except lower ER from everything I have compared in the last 5 years.

wet_goods posted:

What are the recommendations for keeping an emergency fund in an account that does anything useful.

Basically I have about a fifth of mine in a savings account that I can access instantly. The remaining 80% I have set in an individual brokerage account, mostly in bond ETFs and about 10% in a money market fund.

While not the most tax advantaged I didn't want to risk the emergency fund and it was better than keeping the cash under my mattress but are there any other funds that make sense for this kind of use?

Mine is all with Ally. even if it was 0% interest I would keep it in a savings account.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Jenkl posted:

I believe this is correct.

A trust is a different legal structure than a typical mutual fund. In this case trying to accomplish the same thing as the fund.

Technically the trust owns the money not you once they get it, but they are of course obligated to follow through on the stated goal.

I think the primary benefit is less reporting requirements, but someone might be able to confirm that. You tend to see lower fees because of this.

It shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I think we ended up at the same bogleheads link:
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=273782

basically says the same

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I keep my emergency fund in a money market account. It's pretty liquid, well it's technically not guaranteed and a high yield savings account would give similar returns plus FDIC insurance, but my banks didn't have high yield savings and if money markets go down in value significantly it's probably a burning paper money for warmth kind of scenario anyway.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

alnilam posted:

I keep my emergency fund in a money market account. It's pretty liquid, well it's technically not guaranteed and a high yield savings account would give similar returns plus FDIC insurance, but my banks didn't have high yield savings and if money markets go down in value significantly it's probably a burning paper money for warmth kind of scenario anyway.

Money market returns are literally zero right now most places. Firms are waiving millions because the normal expense fees would yield negative returns.

The high interest savings account has made money market obsolete.

If you just don't have any decent high yield savings options sure, but if it's just a matter of opening an online account I think it's worth it. Especially now.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
How is it possible that interest rates are so low for so long? It feels really weird.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

nelson posted:

How is it possible that interest rates are so low for so long? It feels really weird.

welcome to the wonderful world of treasury bond yields; you're in for a hell of a ride.
https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?$TYX,$TNX,$FVX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Jenkl posted:

Money market returns are literally zero right now most places. Firms are waiving millions because the normal expense fees would yield negative returns.

The high interest savings account has made money market obsolete.

If you just don't have any decent high yield savings options sure, but if it's just a matter of opening an online account I think it's worth it. Especially now.

Oh drat you're right, mine's yielding 0.14% right now (vanguard federal money market).

I tried to open a high-yield savings account with Alliant but they were difficult to deal with - I unfroze the wrong credit agency at first, and when I unfroze the right one and told them they didn't get back to me and then a month later I got an email saying they were closing my request.

Anyway the couple dozen dollars I'm missing out on per year is not worth the trouble to me at this point.