Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

1979 XS400 project

1996 XJ600 Seca II daily rider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jabs posted:

Yamahammy stuff

UJM! UJM! UJM!

Ride that poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Isn't that Kurt Vonnegut's drawing of an rear end in a top hat?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jabs posted:

Everything you need to know about JtS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=125293

It's truly hilarious reading.

I'd never read this before, it's gold. I wish I had archives so I could see all those other threads he got banned in.

He gave me the impression that he probably tried really hard to get everyone to call him Jack the Smack IRL.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:sigh:

Still not ready to ride.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What's on the deck?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Almost back on the road.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Tanbo posted:

My bike I picked up a couple months ago, first bike. Took the MSF course in early October finally, shortly after found a smoking deal on an 05 Ninja 500 with 6k miles, pretty much guaranteed to make my money back and then some so went ahead and got it instead of the 650 I wanted. I am glad I didn't get the 650, I dropped it in the driveway once, gravel driveway+front brake :negative:. Minor damage besides clutch lever, a 650 with the wider plastics would have hurt a lot more. It's a fun bike, need tires before I really feel good about taking it for extended rides though, front tire is still the stock excedra, newish rear tire at least.

If you're not already on the EX500 forums, there's good information on doing a flush front turn signal mount because like everybody drops theirs and breaks the turn signals.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

edit: already posted nevermind

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

I think the general rule is that if you're on a modern sportsbike, you can lean the bike over more and stop worrying. If you're on a normal bike, those touch the ground.

My bike came with a hosed one of these on the rear:

And the lines were actually pretty optimistic, you could wear even part of the elephant without being all that leaned over.

Can you explain the elephant?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

red19fire posted:

83 GS750E. Going to need a new rear shock soon, but it runs awesome otherwise.

Every time someone keeps an 80s Japanese bike alive and not cafe'd, somewhere a puppy gets snuggled.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

My ancient 80s Fzr400 frankenbike.

Last year logged over 11,000. this year:

The only original 400 parts is the frame and two wheels.

Are you new in here or just don't post? This is the sort of poo poo that I love to see here. This is better for a discussion topic than another counter steering debate or argument about the Grom. That's an insane looking machine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That there is a running motorbike that I spent the last year raising from the ashes. See the Stolen Torched Mangled thread for what it used to be.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

That is an utterly stellar result and about 300% further than most people get with attempted restoration.

Oh you do flatter, sir.
Thank you, though. Is like to take credit for the red bits, but I got them all off a guy who is a bit of a genius with Secas and a wizard with rattle cans. The fairing is from a Buell.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nadir has not made a single worthwhile post ever. Go filter any thread in this forum by his posts and compare those with substance and those that are poo poo. Don't even need a t-test.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

McLarenF1 posted:

Bike looks awesome bro, nice job! What'd you use on those pipes? Plasti-Dip? Get them Anodized?

VHT exhaust paint. I should have stripped them a little better, but I think I'll just put on another can when the weather warms up. Other people get better results from Rustoleum BBQ paint.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

Looks good. Almost looks like you photoshopped the red bits. I can tell because of the pixels.

Low-light iPhone picture in an unsteady hand while bending backwards over my workbench to get the whole thing in the frame. It definitely has its rough edges here and there. I cut some less-important corners in the cosmetics department because it's an 18-year old bike and I'd rather get back to riding it than do an intensive restoration to worry about maintaining.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 8, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Incursus posted:

First post in a while! Does anyone here ride supermotos?

No one anywhere rides supermotos get out.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

It's like you're whoever decides what bikes go to the American market and I hate it.

I'm really just filled with self-loathing because I can't have one and I want one so bad.

I just realized that sumos are like the only thing that basically everyone in CA agrees on.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 12, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

crazyivan45 posted:

Really hope I didn't post this before. Here's my Yamaha Bolt

Does that sign say "the cat is shady as gently caress also?"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I've always wondered, on a scale of 1 - 10, how much awesome do those chrome spike fairing bolts add?

Nice bike though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

You can buy higher than 3.2 at state-owned liquor stores, everywhere else sells 3.2.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just wanna say that this latest cafe hipster argument has gotten some belly chuckles out of me. Did it even start in this thread?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I have no opinion on viragos beyond "have no interest in."

I think I just connected this cafe dogpile to the one in the pictures thread started by one of HNasty's videos in my head. Or maybe that discussion just had people itchin for another and this thread hit the trigger. Whatever, there was some unseasonably funny poo poo said in both threads this time around.

Cafés/hipsters ruining motorbieking and countersteering are like the two Godwin's laws of this forum.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

half-faired bikes that look decent:
Index:

Do what now.

That looks like Ford Probe or something else that Detroit tried to make look like The Future.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tbb9 posted:

Does the headlight go up and down, or does it just look like a flip up headlight for some reason?

This was my next question. That might change my opinion on the bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also, I kind of debate that this is truly half-faired.

Also, I know you put that up there because you owned one.

Also, I think they're pretty fuckin hot too.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm biased because I own one, but I think the half-fairing on the 90s Secas was pretty well done. Follows the rest of the lines of the bike reasonably well.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 14, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Like it belongs in a 1970s car ad on the back of a Newsweek or something.

edit: Well, there's this:

ShaneB posted:

The american spec red-with-bad-graphics Seca II was my first bike and by FAR the ugliest.

Those graphics were regrettable in that they were not these:

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 14, 2014

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Boru posted:

I know that's what I'm afraid of. When I finally get a real bike what will I do with the M14 x 1.5 bolt I had to buy to pop of the cooling fan? Or this socket that I had to hack saw in order to get off the clutch lock nut?

I'll be utterly lost. Though to be honest I'd be fine with just riding and doing normal maintenance on a bike for the foreseeable future. As much fun as it is to have to make my own tools to take off front engine covers, I'd much rather . . . you know . . . just ride the drat thing.

It is a real bike. An odd one, but legit.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Minkee posted:

A month later it is finally home.

It was stolen by some young kid and mangled with a screw driver. He was dumb enough to leave the plates on it and it got called in. After several weeks of waiting for parts and dealing with the insurance company its finally home. The only damage to the bike was 2 bulbs, all three locks, and they stole my suzuki toolkit. :argh:

:unsmith:

Did you have to pay theft coverage back to the insurance company?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:smuggo:
Actually I have literally no idea what a Buell Blast is,

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

What was it that was so terrible about Blasts other than being extremely boring and vibrating like a coin-operated bed?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nate Falls posted:

Next project is a scooter with a nuclear missile body, and a furry earflap helmet and a rider who calls everyone "comrade".

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Marxalot posted:

He's concentrating on it pretty hard.

Fixating, almost

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:lol: where is that thing racing

Just kidding, nice bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

is usually the type of motorsport application for big twin racing heads.

I was just making a Harley-Davidson (TM) joke. As in "Haw haw haw the only race that'll do is a poker run haw haw!"

It is for real a nice biek though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Those are really fun. I want one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Day Man posted:

A dual sport looks like it would be tons of fun.

This just in, bear shits in woods, also pope wears funny hat and is named Frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That bike actually looks proportionally normal under you. Except for the reach, do you have to ride all the way forward in the seat?

And how are you liking it?