Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ridiculous Pants
Feb 16, 2007

http://www.dizzy-dee.com/recipe/chocolate-cake-in-5-minutes

According to that recipe from the above link, you can make chocolate cake in a mug in 5 minutes using the microwave.

It seems sketchy, but I figured if anyone's up for experimentation on this it's a buncha goons. I don't have the inclination to give this a try, but I know one of you reprobates will.

This is what it's supposed to look like when it's done in the microwave:

Yikes.

Have at it. Post your results. And don't forget the pics.

(I haven't been on GWS in a while so if this has been posted before I apologize and will flog myself with electrical cable as punishment.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oleum Animale 68C
Sep 16, 2005
I enjoy Ham
Looks possible, but it looks nasty, like cotton.

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」
I would try this if I actually had the ingredients :(

EDIT:
Hmm I actually have cocoa, just missing eggs.. Will this work without? :v:

Ridiculous Pants
Feb 16, 2007

Funkz posted:

I would try this if I actually had the ingredients :(

EDIT:
Hmm I actually have cocoa, just missing eggs.. Will this work without? :v:
Probably not. It looks like it barely works as it is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I will try this tonight, for science. It sounds like they found their target market in the comments section:

some dude posted:

my friends and i are stoned eating the cakes now. they are awesome. and if we can make them anyone can.
you have made munchie time easier thank you

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I'll have to try this one.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I guess I could try this tonight, although it would take longer it seems like it would be much better made in the oven.

eden_nova
Dec 28, 2005

do you think ap flour would work instead of cake flour?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

eden_nova posted:

do you think ap flour would work instead of cake flour?

Do you think the stoners above had cake flour on hand? It will work fine. (or at least as fine as one of these things can be)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm going to do it.

Update in a bit.

v-unit
Apr 26, 2007
edit:

(I added a pinch of baking powder and soda, as well as replacing half of the oil with water.)

I ended up dividing it between two mugs because I didn't want a creepy overflowing chocolate tube. The batter made about half a mug.

I only put it on 70% power for the first 3 minutes by accident, I did it at 100 for 2 minutes after that, so I may have overcooked it.

It was hard to tell when it had 'stopped rising' because it kept....pulsing.

Well it smells great...tastes a little like rubber. It's not bad, just very dense and lacking real chocolate flavour. Might be salvageable with some sort of caramel or fudge sauce?

Good for stoners, would not eat again.

v-unit fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 15, 2008

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Awful. I wasn't expecting a lot, but this is just terrible.

I took one bite and threw the rest out. :barf:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How is it leavened?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Demagogue posted:

How is it leavened?

It looks like the microwave boils the water and leavens it that way. The recipe doesn't have baking soda/powder/whatever or whipped eggs so that must be it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always forget about steam leavening, thanks.

angerbot, did you use cake flour? I would imagine AP flour would make it even more rubbery than it is already predisposed to being.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Demagogue posted:

angerbot, did you use cake flour? I would imagine AP flour would make it even more rubbery than it is already predisposed to being.

Yeah, I used cake flour that I sifted with the cocoa prior to adding. Maybe it was the shape of the mug, or my microwave, but honestly I don't think it would've been any better even if it had risen more.

It did smell good, I guess.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

angerbotSD posted:

Yeah, I used cake flour that I sifted with the cocoa prior to adding. Maybe it was the shape of the mug, or my microwave, but honestly I don't think it would've been any better even if it had risen more.

It did smell good, I guess.

It doesn't look terrible (for something microwaved in a mug). Was it the flavor or texture that was worse?

Anyway, this just confirms my belief that microwaves should be used for nothing more than boiling water.

HoChiWaWa
Dec 16, 2004

Lock and Load, We're taking back the Wheel!
I swear I've seen something similar using various components of MREs and a mug crammed under the hood of a jeep or Humvee but I can't find anything about it at the moment.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Demagogue posted:

It doesn't look terrible (for something microwaved in a mug). Was it the flavor or texture that was worse?

There isn't really much flavour, and the texture is identical to foam rubber.

My stomach hurts :(

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

angerbotSD posted:

That is why I was saying the oven might be a better option, you would certainly get a better texture. I suppose that sort of defeats the purpose of doing this though, because then it won't take 5 min.

I think in the oven you might have to use a chemical leavener though since the steam would be produced much slower and might not be able to lift the batter. It works with popovers but also leaves a giant cavity inside.

Soup Dragon
Jun 14, 2005
I would rather poo poo in a mug and eat it. We tried one of these "cake" recipes in our microwave instruction manual, there may be a point where it becomes spongy during the liquid to rubber transition - but I'm not willing to try again.

Toast of Change
Nov 30, 2007
Once you pull the lever, you can never return...

I've made a terrible mistake. I mixed the ingredients exactly as ordered, and put it in the microwave. Over the course of five minutes the scents that came from my microwave were: Cooking chicken, old motor oil, cocoa, and burned coffee.

It took me two tries to get a fork into my leaning monstrosity, and when I bit into it, it was crunchy. I threw it at a wall as hard as I could and it didn't break at all.

Now my kitchen stinks and my wall might have a dent in it. gently caress you internet stoners.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

CYCLOPS
WAS RIGHT
The comments on the recipe are so sad. It's one of the few recipes I can make, now I can have cake, last minute birthday cake, someone buying cake flour just to make this. Is it really that difficult to prepare boxed cake or brownie mix? Or those bowls with the mix already in them that you just need water for? The frozen brownies that go straight into the oven? How the hell are people that can't handle a box of cake mix having cocoa at home?

The blogger lives in South Africa. Maybe the measurements are different. And there's no such things as a box of cake mix that takes longer but makes something edible.

I'm surprised there are only two "the cake is a lie" comments.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

This is an actual product in Japan. My friend brought back a bunch of packets of the powder when he lived there. I thought it tasted pretty good.

Anemia
Mar 28, 2002

Felix El Cartuela :woop:

Demagogue posted:

Anyway, this just confirms my belief that microwaves should be used for nothing more than boiling water.
If that - I still have the same crappy microwave I got in college 7 years ago. I guarantee my stove is way better at boiling water than that POS.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I said I was going to try this and I did. However, because I didn't have any cocoa powder, and everyone is making chocolate, I altered the recipe.

I put in 4 tbsp of strawberry quick and used ap flour since i didn't have cake flour. It was hard to mix.

Here's the finished product. It tastes a little like strawberries, and a little like failure.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Even the mug has turned its smiling face away from that strawberry abomination.

Shodansown
Nov 8, 2007

Demagogue posted:

I said I was going to try this and I did. However, because I didn't have any cocoa powder, and everyone is making chocolate, I altered the recipe.

I put in 4 tbsp of strawberry quick and used ap flour since i didn't have cake flour. It was hard to mix.

Here's the finished product. It tastes a little like strawberries, and a little like failure.

That is the least appetizing sequence of pictures I've seen in a long long time.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
Just tried it, the results were...something. It was almost cake. I mean if you were to describe cake to someone who had never had cake in their life and they attempted to make it this might be the result.

If I were addicted to cake this might keep the withdrawal symptoms in check but it certainly wouldn't be as good as the real thing. Does that make this the methadone of cake?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shodansown posted:

That is the least appetizing sequence of pictures I've seen in a long long time.

My 3 year old wouldn't even try it.

chezeberger
Jun 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl
This thing. It is a monstrosity. A freak of nature. I tried making it and the result was something like a rubber sponge. This would be something you'd make after stumbling home in a drunken haze in the middle of the night and deciding you were hungry.

Apr 24, 2008

Well this is depressing... I'm trying it when I get home though, maybe there's a trick to it? I doubt it though because really.. too good to be true (and also edible.)

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

angerbotSD posted:

This very accurately sums up my own experience and reaction. I couldn't convince my roommates to eat more than a slice each, so I had to finish it off. With a little milk, it's slightly better. I think the real status update that should make or break this for people will come early tomorrow morning.

Ridiculous Pants
Feb 16, 2007

This thread is the best laugh I've had in a long time. I've had a long stressful day and this is making it a bit better. Thanks. Glad I posted the recipe. :)

Krazy Ivan
Nov 10, 2004
I think the trick is as thus:
Sift the cake flour (has to be cake flour and not AP) with the cocoa powder and sugar. then mix in the milk and oil slowly, and add the egg very last. Whip this for about a minute straight so that the egg is fully incorporated into the flour and cocoa. The sugar and flour gluten should work to bring the protein in the yolk out and bind it with the cocoa powder and the oil. Cooking it on a low to medium heat (has to be low) for a longer period of time will work for better results. Medium and low heat are essential for the correct cooking of the egg and wheat gluten. If not, the gluten, egg and oil will combine to create that rubber flavor.
I am trying to make this now and finding a mug is harder than I thought it would be. I'll post pictures of the results.

grantgoodmorrow
Mar 5, 2007
Superchef
I think what the dude was trying to do was make a rudimentary souffle. 'Cept that souffle's are usually just egg whites, flavor and a bit of flour, so...it's kind of more like muffin batter minus any extra leavening. In theory, it should work.

My moderately humble suggestion would be to mix the egg, oil and milk together in one vessel (and really whip the crap out of it to get lots of air mixed in), mix the flour (any type, 'cuz after all you *are* making microwaved cake), sugar and cocoa in another vessel then fold them together in the mug. If you stir it too much, you'll lose the air and it won't rise as much. After that, zap the lot and see what happens.

I haven't done a whole lot of pastry/baking in my cooking career just yet, but I'm intrigued. Besides, if Elizabeth Faulkner can make a sous vide chocolate cake, ANYthing is possible.

Tony Bologna
Sep 21, 2007

Talk real good 'cause I'm smart and stuff
This actually smelled a lot like malt-o-meal when I was "baking" this "cake", got my hopes up as it felt and tasted like rubber when it was finished...but least this recipe is consistent, and I'm starting to experience some pretty heavy gas...

Since this quick cake appears to be a colossal failure, and in the interest of culinary experimentation, allow me to provide you good people with a super-delicious alternative, my five-minute, microwaved Huevos Rancheros!

As it stands, it's one of the simplest and quickest microwave recipes, and boasts one of the most flavorful experiences in regards to other stuff you've tried to cook with microwaves.

Ingredients:

2 Huevos
1 Rancheros

Instructions:

Place eggs in a cup, put salsa on it.

Put in microwave for 3 minutes on maximum power (1000watt)

Scoop contents back into the mug enjoy!

Tony Bologna fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 16, 2008

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
http://dook.us/~coolguy/cake/

Let it begin!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I have cooked regular chocolate cake batter in a mug in the microwave before (small amounts of batter left over that wouldn't fit in my weird sized cake tin) - and while the texture can get a little funny if you're not careful, it tastes just fine... I line a small mug with 2 muffin liners and microwave it at medium until the top stops looking wet (and it passes the toothpick test). I think using a whole egg for such a small amount of cake might be contributing to the weirdness in the OP's recipe. Usually it's only 1 or 2 eggs for a full-size cake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chezeberger
Jun 9, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Tony Bologna posted:

Since this quick cake appears to be a colossal failure, and in the interest of culinary experimentation, allow me to provide you good people with a super-delicious alternative, my five-minute, microwaved Huevos Rancheros!

As it stands, it's one of the simplest and quickest microwave recipes, and boasts one of the most flavorful experiences in regards to other stuff you've tried to cook with microwaves.

Epic. I have to try this.