Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

at the date posted:

I just turn down the brightness of my monitor at night because I don't slavishly believe every idiot marketing ploy I read. I mean, just look at this retarded poo poo:

lmao

I mean, it's not saying that it like damages your eyes like looking at the sun, but that blue light has an effect on our circadian rhythm in a way that's similar to sunlight.

This is a pretty well-researched effect, as per the links, try reading one of the articles instead; they give a more in depth explanation that backs up the claims in a much more in depth way.

Turning down brightness is probably a good call too though!

E: and yeah, it's honestly just pleasant to use, and although it's hard to exactly quantify putting filters on all my various devices at night definitely has helped my sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Anyone have reccs for non-ikea butcher blocks/counters /etc to use as a desk top (costs an extra $200 for Ikea to ship to where I am)? Ideally at a similar price point or less, ie ~150/160 for a 62"-68" top. All y'alls standing desks have convinced me to finally buy a frame (and some back pain...).

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Cool, thanks for all the links/advice. I'll check some local lumberyards first, and if that doesn't work check out some of the links y'all sent. Excited to have a standing desk!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

You probably want a macro pad, or maybe an external numpad where you remap the buttons to button combos you don't use. Pair it with autohotkey as well for more functionality!

I got the DIY version of this and it's worked pretty well, but that's the term to Google to find other options afaik.

E: these are almost certainly better options unless you also actively want to get into this dumb keyboard hobby vv

foutre fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 4, 2020

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

I'm looking at joining the Standing Desk crew. I was eyeing the Husky desks but I am 6'5" and think I'm a touch outside of it's max height.

The WireCutter recommends the UpLift Standing Desk. Anyone here currently using one?

Belated and semi-related, but I'm 6'6" and the Fully with extended range is good. I think the normal height one would just about work as well, unless you want to use a mat or what have you to stand on.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

That's a very good price, yeah.

Edit : didn't find the 24" on the site, but otherwise those specs is around ~$580 new. They're great desks fwiw!

foutre fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 10, 2021

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Thanks to bad self control and a my WFH stipend I need to find a way to mount two ultrawides above one another; the bottom one is 49" (36 lbs), and the top is 35" (12 lbs). It looks like there's basically just one or two ergotron arms that work for the bottom one, so I've got that. Where I'm having more trouble is finding one that works for the top - if possible I'd rather have one that clamps or bolts to the desk, rather than mounting to the wall, since I have a sit/stand desk. Does anyone have suggestions for arms/mounts that work for this?

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

It's uh 5000ish by 1440, it's wild - once I get everything set up I feel like I've gotta try Microsoft flight stimulator or something.

Honestly I'm also dumb with some basic power tools, but a fairly low level of handiness. I have built a desk before, which has held together but is also pretty janky. I don't know if this is legit at all, but can you kind of compensate for lack of diy ability by just adding a whole bunch more screws/wood?

That's definitely an appealing idea, just don't want to gently caress it up ofc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

Has anyone lost their minds and gone with the full 72" husky workbench as a desk yet? I'm tempted because it will physically fit in my space, but I'm worried it will visually be too much

I went 76", it's great. I'm also an absolute fool who has an ultra wide flanked by two portrait monitors, so lord knows I'm not a good judge of what's too much.

That said I think without the million monitors it's not bad at all, v reasonable and great to have all that space.

E: realized I missed a full page, but yeah, with cable management etc it's not bad imo. As a fellow small apt dweller it does admittedly have a lot of visual weight for sure, but not that different than a smaller one imo.