Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

My old phone did that - USB thru the PC it would go into some goofy rear end sync mode. PLugged into a wall it stayed OK. Gotta be something going over the other (non-power) wires that triggers it

Anyway, here's my hole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Yeah, some Philips stereo I got a decade and a half ago but it still works so why change it? It's just got an RCA line in so I just connect that to the mixer out, which is again way more than I need for the sole purpose of letting two computers use the same speakers at the same time, but it was cheap and it works.

Since I'm already being teased for overzealous diagramming of simple concepts, I may as well double down:

You left out the speakers and speakers cables!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

:barf:

Here's my desk and chair. I hope you all like it.

Why is it offcenter? makes my neck ache just looking at that

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The Lord Bude posted:

Back in my day you had a row of physical buttons down one side of the tv, with little channel numbers Next to them that would light up when you selected that channel. And when you wanted to change the channel you had to get your fat arse off the couch and push the button.

How often did your father yell at you for pushing them too fast?

Buttons > Dials

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

or use Orange innerduct for a futuristic look

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

ufarn posted:

Here's a weird question.

I have an audio interface with matte dials on it. The dials have concave depressions as indicators, but these are completely useless in a darker setting - or if the light just isn't angled the right way.

I considered getting a silver marker or something, but I won't be able to remove it without damaging the original dials, so is there a better option that is viewable in the dark and removable?

Same, I've got a lil amp thats tucked under a side monitor. I used a couple drops of dayglo orange nail polish in the depressions, dabbed in with a toothpick. Looks good in the light, low light it's OK. In the dark not much will help short of a LED or actual glow in the dark paint. On mine, the ring around the knob itself is lit, so the knob is easy enough to find and give it a bump up or down if needed

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Where to look for inspiration/parts/ideas for mounting PC under desk?
It's a small tower (15"H x 6.8"W x 14.6"D). USB and jacks are on the front, power button is on the top corner so need either a little clearance or ability to slide forward a bit. Carpeted and cats, so I don't really want to just go directly on the floor.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

That is p good looking. I guess all I’d seen before were just a bracket and some straps. Just gotta make sure I got enough ballroom leftover and cables still reach where they gotta

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Is there a reasonable way to paint or stain or darken laminated tops? Currently they're marbley white/offwhite/grey and would like to end up black or another dark shade

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

I used similar to these under my desk. All the way to the back edge, screwed to the bottom so the 'fingers' are pointed down. Think I used 4 total along a 6' section of desk. For cables that are way too long I did some doubling back inside the channel

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

With black light tubes I can feel my eyeballs vibrate after a few minutes

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Oxyclean posted:

Anyone ever use a monitor stand like this? I'm debating between something like that and something more basic like this for lifting my monitors up a bit more. (Got them stacked on some textbooks for the moment)

I have some monitor arms at work - but it's a separate arm for each monitor. The ones I have at work feel very easy to bump out of position and hard to get "quite right" as silly as that might sound. Having a cat who loves to rub his face on the corner of my monitor also makes me consider something more fixed.

The arm solution I linked certainly looks more elegant and would free up space under the monitor, though I'm curious how well the design works - it feels like it could easily get front-heavy.

e: Oh, apparently its on amazon for much cheaper, and there's a ton of designs like it.

The freestanding style like that is ok. Be advised though that if you get too wide or too high it really makes it unstable. I actually bolted mine to the desktop to keep it from moving or tipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Rings that easily split and can screw in or fasten to the underside are great. Many different sizes, flexible since you’re attaching them. I start at each end of the desk, and if it sags I just add one or more in the middle.

I used to work with racks a lot so we always had cable management pieces around, I took a few and screwed those in along the back/bottom of my desk. Nothing to cut since those are designed to allow cables in and out

Zip tie and Velcro can also be fastened along the path but these can be a pain until you are finalized. Lots of undoing and redoing