Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

CubanRefugee posted:

Who in the world buys CRTs anymore?

If you are doing broadcast video editing it is pretty much a requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

copen posted:

Oh it is definitely not mechanical, but pretty good feel for a membrane. The only thing holding me back from the mechanical is my wife is frequently sleeping in the bedroom next door while I am up late working.

The speakers are Bowers & Wilkins CM1's I got off ebay. I like them quite a bit but benefit from a subwoofer.

You can get some Brown switches and put the little rubber bands in them. I has a Das with Browns and honestly it isn't much louder than my old Logitech G15 membrane keyboard. If you put the silencer rubber bands in them they go basically silent.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Personally I would have killed to have a setup like that when I was doing video/audio work heavily. One can never have enough screen real estate.

The thing I have noticed the most the last couple of years is every single stock trader guy has multiple huge monitors lack that and I am too embarrassed to ask why on earth they need that.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

It's because the programs for trading stocks are all piles of poo poo, and you need 5 copies open to quickly access all the common information/commands.

But why would you need 5 or 6 30-inch monitors?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

I don't day trade (but I know someone who does), but if it's anything like programming, you want as many windows open as possible. I imagine being able to read news articles and have financial reports open and getting able to see stock prices all at once is important.

That makes sense and is kind of what I thought. I just found it odd that all of these guys were going after multiple 30 inchers so I wasn't sure if something mandated that kind of resolution/size.

The whole day trader world seems kind of weird and scary.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

at the date posted:

plumbing pipe furniture is loving horrendous

Not always.

http://imgur.com/a/YFHEb

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TenementFunster posted:

I regret to inform you but that is embarrassing nerd poo poo

I am not much for the NASA space stuff with it but the engineering of how he handled the actual desk construction is fantastic. There is a lot to it that I want to use for my own desk setup. Including the pipe for the monitor mount is a great idea that I hadn't had until I saw this one.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

bigmandan posted:

Finally got my desk cleaned up. It still could use a bit of work though.

What desk you have? That is the size I am wanting.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Hollow Talk posted:

IKEA central! :respek:

Does your Desk wobble much on those legs?

I am using that same table as a desk right now. The caps on the bottom of the legs can screw out to eliminate wobble. It works really well in my experience so far which I was worried since my apartment has a uneven floor.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

VagueRant posted:

Is the Embody really worth it?

It's hard to admit to myself that I spend enough time sitting at my computer that the cost might be justified.

The Embody is amazing, although they are not the easiest thing to find used. If you spend a decent amount of time in front of a computer it is worth it buying a higher end chair that won't ruin your back and fall apart in a year.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elsa posted:

it's the replacement screen for a broken iPad... 2500 x 1500 resolutions (roughly I forget ), cheap ($65) per screen ($35) per adapter.uses 5v power which is already supported in several ways in your motherboard.

And then there's the scaling. With the right card you can push four of these plus 2 more DVI outputs for a total of 6 monitors per card

With a motherboard limit of two of such cards , you could have a setup of 12 screens from what seems like any old desktop rig.

The dimensions of the retina displays are the same as the iPad Retina you are familiar with. You can fit several of them in close proximity to your face.

They're engineered by apple to be great color production, and clarity IPS panels with excellent light production.

All told, along with basic EE know-how (such as soldiering and Volts and Amps) you can build this unit for less than $100 a unit.

I have been wanting to use one of these with a Hackintosh build. Got any advice on the adaptor to use?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

GokieKS posted:

Desktop speaker stands are shockingly difficult to find, especially nice looking ones. I really want to get a set of these, but that's a decent chunk of change. In the meantime, I've been using some Sterlite small desk drawers, which actually work quite well and are the perfect size for most 5" studio monitors (I used them originally with some M-Audio BX5 D2s, and now with JBL LSR305s). Practical too, giving you some extra storage space. My sole complaint is that they only come in white.

A friend of mine has these and swears by them. I'd personally just use the yoga block trick myself. They are dirt cheap, come in any color and they isolate the speaker well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, fair, 1.50 x 0.75 it is.

Now to have to decide whether to make a 'shelf' at the back and how long to make it (monitors are mounted on a vertical stand, so monitor height is a nonissue).

Never make a shelf on a desk. If you need something raised you can always fashion a stand of some sort that is non permanent and moveable. Most people require a lot of flat space, make that your priority. Remember you can always add things to it later but it is a lot harder to take them away if you build it in.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

canyoneer posted:

In process, the underside of one of them. On the left is stained, on the right is not yet stained (I am finishing 3 total)

These really look great as tabletops for $80 plus some garage time.

Shame they don't make the Hammarp in Birch anymore, it was what I was wanting that wood looks so nice.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BoyBlunder posted:

Any recommendations for under desk cable management? I have a bunch of power adapters coming up from a UPS to devices on my desk and right now everything looks pretty messy.

Also, the desk is not wide at all, so an IKEA Signum would come out of the sides so that's out of the picture.

What I have seen several people do is get a piece of vinyl gutter and mount it under the back of the desk. Just throw all your power strips, cables, etc right in there. It is such a cheap and easy solution I am kinda amazed I never thought of it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

skylined! posted:

Also built a tiny PC stand so it’s not sitting right on my desk and I kinda love it. Had scrap from building my wife’s desk left over as well as some hairpin legs from a coffee table I took apart. Threw in some cable management on the back of it and it’s my new favorite piece of furniture. Also I had no money leftover to buy anything after spending it all in computer and speaker upgrades. Oops.

Can you take some more pictures of this? Looks great.