Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

FLX posted:

What do you guys use to fight the cable mess that's behind every desk as soon as you add more than a tower and a monitor?

I have cables hanging down from the whole width of my desk and beyond, going into the tower from various sources and back again, so regular cable tubes don't work for me.

I have a Dell 2007WFP, which allows me to route things through the monitor stand. Other than that, I'll tie as many things together as I can with twist ties (because I have plenty laying around--you may prefer velcro straps if you need to buy some). This will leave 2 or 3 bundles of cables coming out from behind my desk instead of a huge chaotic mess of wires. It also helps that my PC tower is under the desk, so the cables generally follow a neat path from point A to B, instead of dangling behind the desk in a "U" shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

glompix posted:

This part I'm not so proud of. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with top-of-desk cabling?

Your Dell monitor has a clip on the back of its stand. You should run everything you can through it.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

BigPoopMayor posted:

What chair is this?

Looks like a Herman Miller Mirra.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Martytoof posted:

That looks like every desk I've ever seen sold at Staples or Office Depot tbh.

Like 90% of them, it looks like it's a laminate desk that has those hard 90 degree edges that get chipped and peel really easily. I can already see it happening in the photo.

When I got my cheapass desk over 4 years ago, I made sure to get one with rounded edges so that wouldn't happen. So far, so good, despite heavy usage.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Handen posted:

I can't seem to get used to my digital camera. Everything's either way too dark or blown out.

Have you checked to make sure it doesn't have any retarded default settings like ridiculously high contrast?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Something else is going on too though. Not only are the monitor and lamp at clipped-out white, the speakers and everything underneath the desk is clipped-out black. Plus, the whole picture is grainy like the brightness is being cranked up post-exposure (did you do this in an editor or did it come out of your camera this way?).

That's why I was wondering about contrast settings.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Is this a btx case?

Those series of Lian Li cases are just ATX turned upside down with the motherboard mounted to the left wall.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

PopeOnARope posted:

It's colloquially termed as WTX.

Are you sure? WTX defines larger maximum motherboard dimensions than ATX, but I don't see anything about orientation. I don't think the Lian Li case mentioned earlier accommodates the larger dimensions either, especially since this related model is listed as ATX.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Surely it's a misconception if anything.

Well, there was that thread about case cockroaches.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Only Shallow posted:

I just moved into an unfurnished apartment and picked up a corner desk at a consignment shop. Right now I'm still trying to find a good configuration for my equipment. I want to try and keep my tower off the floor (dust), but I also really hate having my speakers like this. They need to be elevated a bit, and I want them to be further back:

I also need to get a drill so I can install my cable management rack without splitting the wood.

Holy crap my family got that desk sometime around 1994. I thought the keyboard tray was a piece of crap for several years until I found out the brackets that allowed you to adjust its height were installed backwards.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Homebrew on Xbox 360? Either you suck at lying or I'm missing something really cool

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Only Shallow posted:

The Wii homebrew thread in Games is kosher, I guess a link couldn't hurt.

Yeah, I'm a regular in the Wii, Xbox, and PS2 softmodding megathreads. The point I was getting at is that people who usually have two 360s use one unmodded for online use and the other with the DVD firmware reflashed for use with backup discs--something that's off-limits for discussion here.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Xachariah posted:

Using laptop atm as desktop is broken and I'm making a new one. Bonus picture of my cable management below to give OCD guys a brain aneurysm.

Click here for the full 1680x1006 image.

I smell cats...

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Footboy posted:

I may have you bested, in that regard.

There's no elegant way to fit an entertainment center and home office into a 7'×4' space.

I currently use a rear projection set from 2002 with no HDMI and the whole setup looks three times as bad as this despite my anal retentive tendencies and not being posed with the challenge of cramming everything into an office. Can't wait until I get to use HDMI.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Jetfire posted:

I'm more curious about the mannequin's hand.
If it's not a paperweight, I'm guessing it's catproofing (knowing the relationship between cats and printers)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Anal Volcano posted:

This reminds me: are there any desk headphone stands for <$10? I don't feel like paying $30 for a piece of plastic.

As is usually recommended in the headphone megathread, he's using a banana stand, which you should be able to get for dirt cheap.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Molten Llama posted:

Businesses and universities love Herman Miller poo poo; it's extremely cost effective because it lasts forever and carries a good decade+ of warranty. Buying cheap crap will bleed you dry in a high-usage environment.

The last couple buildings my school added are furnished in nothing but Herman Miller, and they'd already been adding Aerons everywhere even before that.

Military seems to love Aerons too. They were pretty much the only things that were G.I.-proof when I was in.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's still one of the most instantly recognizable computers ever made for anyone who was around computers in the early 90s.

[img-seinfelds-apartment]

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

spookygonk posted:

Yup, based on the flexy diy design.

Nice. I wonder how easily this can be adapted to make a TV stand with shelves for A/V hardware and game consoles. Something that's lower and wider than the original--like 3 or 4 narrow-spaced shelves and a 3 x 2 set of beams like this:

code:
|                           |
|  O          O          O  |
|___________________________|
I'm not too keen on the idea of spending $200+ on a cheapo 4-shelf unit if I can make something much nicer for a fraction of that.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Centipeed posted:

I ended up pulling so hard that the CPU came out of the socket with the lever still in place / the pins still locked in.

How the gently caress that CPU escaped unscathed I'll never know, but building PCs is stressful as poo poo.

I've done that more than once. Barring the older ones with the exposed surfaces that could be chipped off, CPUs can take some abuse. ZIF sockets don't apply a huge amount of force, just enough to ensure contact on all pins, so it's entirely possible to accidentally pull the CPU out nondestructively if the thermal paste bonds too strongly.

Maybe it's because I regularly repair laptops, but fixing desktop PCs is about as zen as it gets. Working on liquid cooled PCs with leaky joints, that's another story.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

illamint posted:

Redid my cabling, re-positioned some stuff, cleaned the desktop:

I'm guessing there's no way you got the mouse and keyboard to reach that far without USB extension cables.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

diospadre posted:

Turn the desk upside down, problem solved.

It's particle board, not to mention the screws holes that are under there. (unless you're joking)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

tripsevens posted:

Is there a reason why everyone went for the T legs over the A legs?

"A" legs get in the way, especially if your chair has arm rests.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

horchata posted:

also are galants supposed to be this wobbly? even with a little downward push the monitor shakes and the mouse cursor moves a little. Even typing is enough sometimes

The Galant in my office only shakes a tiny bit if I use a bunch of force, like when if I shove away from it in my office chair.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

CommieGIR posted:

And yes, every computer in this photo is on and in use right now.
That makes the assumption an OLPC is capable of being used for something.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 19, 2012

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Wibla posted:

Splice in a resistor on the power wire to the LED, voila!

Or change it for a green one like I did for my Antec P180 (plus amber for the HDD lights)

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Josh Lyman posted:

I've actually wondered why people would use a "real" headphone stand like above instead of a banana holder when the headphone stand compresses the earcup padding.

I know I'd be worried about the sharp edge of the hook puncturing the headband padding if I was careless while hanging them up. I'd also be worried about the hook putting undue pressure in the middle of it and causing a permanent indentation there.

Also, my earpads compress themselves anyway when not being worn (Beyerdynamic DT 770), so that wouldn't really be an issue for me.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Edit: oops, this belongs in the Monitor thread.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 27, 2013

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

titaniumone posted:

re: headphone holder chat. I asked what that guy's was just because it looked cool. I actually use a Rubbermaid Fasttrack hose hook, which was $10 at Home Depot. Just stand it up so the rubberized part is on the desk. Then, glue some foam rubber onto the top metal part which would hook into the wall track.

Costs about $15 total, works great, and isn't obviously homemade at a glance.

Banana stands suck because they will compress the poo poo out of the point they're pressing on.

It looks like a Brainwavz Peridot Stand (and the screened logo visible in that guy's post seems to verify that).

This type of stand seems to be referred to as an "omega stand", and a few others show up when you search for that on Amazon and elsewhere. The one I linked seems to be the least expensive.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Wasabi the J posted:

Chair is a huge piece of poo poo, though; next thing to get replaced.

Yeah, I see a Steelcase Leap with green upholstery in your future

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I was going to ask about how to clean up the cables, but I realized the solution is to get a "real" laptop that doesn't need all that poo poo attached all the time.

Pretty much. Those Metal Cordies are $5, but a used docking station for a business-grade laptop would have been $10-20.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

KillHour posted:

If that's a mechanical keyboard, there's no reason to ever get rid of it; it will outlive your grandchildren. If you ever do, I'm partial to my Das Keyboard. It's just so clicky. :3:

I don't think Gateway has ever used anything but rubber dome keyboards, even in the 1990s. Our family had the keyboard seen in the photo. It came with a model purchased in 1999, and while it was a nice keyboard, it definitely didn't have buckling springs.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Or it probably had something to do with this:

64fanatic posted:

Just moved

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Microsoft posted:

[ ] Tabbed browsing in Explorer
[ ] Color management at the desktop
[x] Cementing the taskbar to the bottom of the screen so applications know where the it is

Good job, multi-billion dollar corporation. You really nailed your users' priorities with this one.

I'm glad to see that it wasn't just me losing my poo poo over a feature others may have not have cared about one when I first encountered it. Whoever made that decision should be forced to do web development work on one of the many 16:9 1080p laptops that still make up at least 95% of the market. Once the taskbar, browser controls, and developer console all take their angel's share, you're left with about as much visibility as Geordi LaForge in a modern Camaro. Moving the taskbar to one side makes this at least a little more bearable. And it's still super beneficial on 16:10 screens as well.

I was originally opposed on principle of using a whole shell replacement as a solution to the only major dealbreaker I have in Windows 11, but StartAllBack does such a good job of replicating the stock UI that I don't care as much.

beuges posted:

And those same apps running on windows 10 magically are able to handle the taskbar on any edge of the screen just fine. That person’s explanation is quite honestly insulting.

Even Windows 11 could do it up until last year, even if it took a registry edit to accomplish, but they went out of their way to remove it. Microsoft isn't just being complacent anymore, now they're actively hostile against their users.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
I switched to a foam mattress 3 1/2 years ago. While it was a major upgrade over what I had before, it can make my back ache if I stay on it for too long because the memory foam tends to sink in the middle after a few hours. Ironically, the Steelcase Leap v2 I paid $100 for 10 years ago provides instant relief from all this.