Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
When my G5 broke (:rip:), I bought a G402, and while the cable feels slightly flimsy, I have been happy overall with it.

And since we talked about the Ergotron LX masterrace (please excuse the bad quality, my choices are limited to either cellphone or film camera):

The two loose cabels are for a TV that stands on the other side of that armchair, not much I can do about that. Also, apparently, my monitor needs to be cleaned.

Desk is a conglomerate of IKEA Linnmon/Olov/Lerberg, with Lerberg simply because having 5 Olov legs is a bit wobbly. Also, the table doubles as a dining table, since this is a studio apparentment, so another Lerberg on the left wasn't really an option.

Headphones are my mobile headphones, since my trusty Sony MDR CD550 headphones finally gave up the ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

niss posted:

As someone who also had a stockpile of 518's and has since moved onto the 502, I would agree with this statement. If you can overlook the "gamer" stylings, it is a very comfortable, functional mouse. This is also coming from someone who has had on and off issues with CTS/RSI

This is extremely comforting, as my mx518 is actually finally dying, and I bought a 502 last night to replace it. :( :(

E: My phone's google services is futzing out, but I'll get some before and after pics of my desk up later. Currently my desk has the honor to hold an mx518, and an mx500. :hellyeah:

surc fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 20, 2015

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

With the KB/M and monitor at different angles in that picture, I can't tell if you sit at an angle or perpendicular but tilt your head, but either way that doesn't seem very comfortable.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

GokieKS posted:

With the KB/M and monitor at different angles in that picture, I can't tell if you sit at an angle or perpendicular but tilt your head, but either way that doesn't seem very comfortable.

It strongly depends on what I am doing, really. If I type, I tend to angle the keyboard and the monitor is pushed back further then. The picture is from me reading, where I don't really need the keyboard. I also sit slightly angled in front of it. The main problem with this space is that the whole flat is very small, and since the left of the table needs to stay clear, I lose some adjustment options. When I installed the Ergotron, I played around with the extensions, which would have given me more options for monitor placement, but they either extended too far to the left, or blocked the closet door you can see on the right. It's not ideal, but it's also temporary. The laptop/keyboard/mouse/monitor(:sigh:)/mount are coming with me, the table etc. most certainly won't. So yeah, it's a mixture of sitting at an angle and tilting my head. One day, I will have a perfect workspace. One day...

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Can't you just physically move where the arm is mounted on the desk and have the monitor parallel to the desk where the MacBook is, and maybe move the chair a bit to the right?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

GokieKS posted:

Can't you just physically move where the arm is mounted on the desk and have the monitor parallel to the desk where the MacBook is, and maybe move the chair a bit to the right?

Moving the monitor back is no problem, however, that creates a huge gap between laptop and monitor, or I would have to angle the Macbook, which would have the same result. This would only be "fixable" by using both extensions alongside moving the base rather far to the left; another alternative would be to move the desk away from the wall, use both of the extensions and point them backwards, but that doesn't really work here either. I played around with it, and this is as good as it will get for the time being. One day, this will be an ever better setup! :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Customer gave me a $400 monitor arm they were getting rid of. this thing is incredible.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Don Lapre posted:

Customer gave me a $400 monitor arm they were getting rid of. this thing is incredible.

Nice, what monitor is that?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

concise posted:

Nice, what monitor is that?

Samsung 34" SE790C. One of or the only va 34" ultra wide.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
got a new desk that i'm finally proud to show off

need to replace my chair at some point, but i like my workspace otherwise :3:

i also need to decorate a little bit since that area is so bare and boring

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 23, 2015

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

e: wrong thread

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 27, 2015

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I've been wanting to put together an IKEA desk for a while, and now that the kids are big enough to be able to sit at a grownup sized desk instead of a kiddie table, we're in business.

98" birch Hammarp countertop, 2 Lerbreg trestle legs, and 2 Adils legs 11" off center in the back just in case. Cut to length, about 20 minutes with an orbital sander and 220 grit sandpaper, and a coat of minwax clear poly. Less than $200 on the raw materials and it's 85" across, plus I can packup the kids laptop and use the other end as a workbench.

I need to do something about the cable management yet, any suggestions on something that mounts on the back or under the desk? I have about 3" of space between the rear and the wall I can play with.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

CommanderApaul posted:

I've been wanting to put together an IKEA desk for a while, and now that the kids are big enough to be able to sit at a grownup sized desk instead of a kiddie table, we're in business.

98" birch Hammarp countertop, 2 Lerbreg trestle legs, and 2 Adils legs 11" off center in the back just in case. Cut to length, about 20 minutes with an orbital sander and 220 grit sandpaper, and a coat of minwax clear poly. Less than $200 on the raw materials and it's 85" across, plus I can packup the kids laptop and use the other end as a workbench.

I need to do something about the cable management yet, any suggestions on something that mounts on the back or under the desk? I have about 3" of space between the rear and the wall I can play with.

Ikea sells all sorts of under desk cable management - Google "Ikea Signum". They have a canvas type too, but I can't remember their Scandi nomenclature. I personally like taking one of those long Tripp Lite power strips and mounting it under the desk and then using a rain gutter or something to hold all of the excess cable and line lumps.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
Yeah my IKEA desk came with the canvas under desk cable management and it works pretty well. There are probably pre-drilled holes on yours that it can fit into.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

WorkingStiff posted:

Ikea sells all sorts of under desk cable management - Google "Ikea Signum". They have a canvas type too, but I can't remember their Scandi nomenclature. I personally like taking one of those long Tripp Lite power strips and mounting it under the desk and then using a rain gutter or something to hold all of the excess cable and line lumps.
IKEA recently released these beauties: Romma which makes cable management a breeze. I have two and they really really removes a lot of the cable clutter paired with Montera. The glue on Montera is so-so (clean your surfaces ...) but for the price I'm just swapping them whenever a great need to do so arises. I also have terrible lightning at home and an even worse camera as can be seen in these pictures:

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Where I spend all my time, I should really get a new keyboard to replace this 98' Gateway model. I have grown very used to the feel of it though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

copen posted:

Where I spend all my time, I should really get a new keyboard to replace this 98' Gateway model. I have grown very used to the feel of it though.

If that's a mechanical keyboard, there's no reason to ever get rid of it; it will outlive your grandchildren. If you ever do, I'm partial to my Das Keyboard. It's just so clicky. :3:

Edit: What monitors (speakers) are those?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

KillHour posted:

If that's a mechanical keyboard, there's no reason to ever get rid of it; it will outlive your grandchildren. If you ever do, I'm partial to my Das Keyboard. It's just so clicky. :3:

I don't think Gateway has ever used anything but rubber dome keyboards, even in the 1990s. Our family had the keyboard seen in the photo. It came with a model purchased in 1999, and while it was a nice keyboard, it definitely didn't have buckling springs.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

Edit: What monitors (speakers) are those?

Oh it is definitely not mechanical, but pretty good feel for a membrane. The only thing holding me back from the mechanical is my wife is frequently sleeping in the bedroom next door while I am up late working.

The speakers are Bowers & Wilkins CM1's I got off ebay. I like them quite a bit but benefit from a subwoofer.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

copen posted:

Oh it is definitely not mechanical, but pretty good feel for a membrane. The only thing holding me back from the mechanical is my wife is frequently sleeping in the bedroom next door while I am up late working.

The speakers are Bowers & Wilkins CM1's I got off ebay. I like them quite a bit but benefit from a subwoofer.

You can get some Brown switches and put the little rubber bands in them. I has a Das with Browns and honestly it isn't much louder than my old Logitech G15 membrane keyboard. If you put the silencer rubber bands in them they go basically silent.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You can get very quiet mechanical keyboards nowadays. Corsair in particular have several lines of good keyboards that come in every switch type under the sun.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've also got a keyboard with Cherry Brown switches that I put rubber bands on and as long as I don't hammer down on it, it's every bit as quiet as anything else.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Are there any wireless mechanical keyboards made by reputable companies yet?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

WorkingStiff posted:

Are there any wireless mechanical keyboards made by reputable companies yet?

I'm not aware of a wireless mechanical keyboard period, reputable or otherwise. It's long been a dream of mine, and it should be kickstarted or something.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm not aware of a wireless mechanical keyboard period, reputable or otherwise. It's long been a dream of mine, and it should be kickstarted or something.

There are several of them out made by companies like Matias and Rapoo, hence my remark about reputable company. Even some of the more well known keyboard manufacturers /re-branders already have absolute poo poo warranties and customer service so I'm not going to plop down a couple of hundred bucks for an unreviewed device from a sketchy company...

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Matias is pretty reputable company as far as I know. They've certainly been around quite a while, and I've never heard any complaints of widespread issues.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

WorkingStiff posted:

There are several of them out made by companies like Matias and Rapoo, hence my remark about reputable company. Even some of the more well known keyboard manufacturers /re-branders already have absolute poo poo warranties and customer service so I'm not going to plop down a couple of hundred bucks for an unreviewed device from a sketchy company...

Yeah, a solid, reputable wireless mechanical and compact keyboard, that also uses a standard battery so it doesn't become a useless lump of timeout plastic in a couple years is something of a white whale for me also.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
KBTalking used to make a bluetooth mechanical but they stopped producing it a few years ago.

Filco and Matias both have bluetooth models, though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Get clear switches

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I have a Filco 60% BlueTooth keyboard. Very solidly built (in fact a bit heavy for its small size). Not likely to break in any way unless you use heavy blunt instruments. Uses standard AA batteries that seem to last forever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I have a Filco 60% BlueTooth keyboard. Very solidly built (in fact a bit heavy for its small size). Not likely to break in any way unless you use heavy blunt instruments. Uses standard AA batteries that seem to last forever.

This looks very promising. Be a little while before I can drop that much on a keyboard with this Apple Wireless still working so well, but I was certain this sort of thing didn't exist.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
New setup!

Finally found a way to get all 5 monitors mounted with the hardware I've got. (2 single monitor arms, 1 triple monitor array)
Just waiting on a 15' Displayport cable for the bottom left monitor.

I eventually want to reconfigure the monitors to accommodate a large factor, roughly 50" central 4k monitor with 4-6 'satellite' monitors surrounding it. And a move the portable AC unit into the office to deal with the heat my video cards are going to be putting out. But that can wait till summer. At least I'll be warm all winter :allears:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm trying to imagine what game would benefit from a setup like that. You play Eve, don't you?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

KillHour posted:

I'm trying to imagine what game would benefit from a setup like that. You play Eve, don't you?

epeen.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Moey posted:

epeen.

Goes well with the carefully staged vape and glass of whiskey.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Magnus Praeda posted:

Goes well with the carefully staged vape and glass of whiskey.

Still missing the hat rack filled with fedoras.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Moey posted:

Still missing the hat rack filled with fedoras.

That's out of frame. I think it might be behind the trash can box with the discarded Rockstar cans and paper plates.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

doctorfrog posted:

This looks very promising. Be a little while before I can drop that much on a keyboard with this Apple Wireless still working so well, but I was certain this sort of thing didn't exist.

Matias also makes a bt mech kb but it's uglier than the Filco.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

KillHour posted:

I'm thinking his chiropractor benefits from him having a setup like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zest posted:

New setup!

hahahahahahahahaha what the gently caress are you doing? this is the saddest nerd bullshit ever

is your bed a race car, too?