Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
Deadlock is simple but IMO nice and playable even to this day.

edit: and it's currently €1.74 on Steam.

double edit: according to Steam reviews it might be hard getting the Steam version to work. I got it off GOG and have had no issues.

iSurrender fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

ALFbrot posted:

after all these years.... i finally got one before somebody else....

now.... i can die....

I was going to post it before you, actually. But then I thought to myself, "ALFbrot needs a win." So I let you post it.

You're welcome.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

...! posted:

I was going to post it before you, actually. But then I thought to myself, "ALFbrot needs a win." So I let you post it.

You're welcome.

you are a true friend

edit: i clicked the ? by my post and it turned out i had solved one ten years and two weeks ago

what have i done with the prime years of my life

ALFbrot fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 2, 2020

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am looking for a real time strategy game. It is probably from the warcraft2 generation.
There are several, maybe 5, sides vuagely the "colors of magic". There is a campaign for each side but each is very short.
The mood is very magic-heavy. You generally don't build large amounts of units. There is pretty minimal or strange basebuilding, maybe with some age of empires style mechanics.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 5, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Total Annihilation: Kingdoms maybe? It had weird RTS in that some sides just straight-up summon units instead of building bases. Just units making more units. It also has five sides together with the expansion.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Just after posting this I remembered another fact: It became impossible to play right after releast bc it was a dos game that was incompatible with win95.
And based on that I managed to google it: It is Blood and Magic, a D&D licence game by Interplay.

And it had only 4 sides.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Some unknown number of years ago, I found a puzzle game that's played in the web browser. Hard to explain what I mean...not a webpage that launches a game, but a webpage that *is* the game. I remember the vibe being kind of creepy, and you get these little clues about where to click on the page. At one point I had to modify the URL based on some clue, and that took me to the next step, etc.

That might not be enough to go on, but at the very least does anyone know what this type of game is called so I can go seek it out myself?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That could be the "Submachine" games, or "The Impossible Quiz".

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

LargeHadron posted:

Some unknown number of years ago, I found a puzzle game that's played in the web browser. Hard to explain what I mean...not a webpage that launches a game, but a webpage that *is* the game. I remember the vibe being kind of creepy, and you get these little clues about where to click on the page. At one point I had to modify the URL based on some clue, and that took me to the next step, etc.

That might not be enough to go on, but at the very least does anyone know what this type of game is called so I can go seek it out myself?

was it notpron?

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Indeed it was! Thanks

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The one game I recognize, and someone (awful.) beat me to the punch.

I remember giving that a try, I couldn't figure it out. Seemed like you had to think outside of way too many boxes for my little teen brain.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

ALFbrot posted:

you are a true friend

edit: i clicked the ? by my post and it turned out i had solved one ten years and two weeks ago

what have i done with the prime years of my life

I'm going to try that

EDIT-Nope I am useless

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to remember the name of a game that I had played some time in the late 90s/early 2000s.

It had an isometric view of a map, kind of like Transport Tycoon, and it was kinda sorta also like Transport Tycoon in that you had to move goods from one place to another to make money, but it covered like the entire scope of human history, so one scenario was set in like the Middle East and you were working with camel caravans transporting wheat, and then only in later scenarios would you have actual trains

EDIT: it was Trade Empires

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/trade-empires

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 23, 2020

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
What's the name of the platform game about a cat snake in the future that trying to reach enlightenment and it has computers and stuff?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

temple posted:

What's the name of the platform game about a cat snake in the future that trying to reach enlightenment and it has computers and stuff?

Cat Snake

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
TY, its a slugcat. Sorry for the confusion.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There was a shareware game that came with Alien Olympics that I played as a kid which was a 2D platformer where you were a wizard with spells. I think it was called Magician's Apprentice but all I can find for it under that name are reddit/forum posts of people asking about it and receiving no response. Is that what it was called? Did the full game actually exist? I remember I couldn't get past the second or third world and always wondering what happened in the game after that.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

There was a shareware game that came with Alien Olympics that I played as a kid which was a 2D platformer where you were a wizard with spells. I think it was called Magician's Apprentice but all I can find for it under that name are reddit/forum posts of people asking about it and receiving no response. Is that what it was called? Did the full game actually exist? I remember I couldn't get past the second or third world and always wondering what happened in the game after that.

Could be Hocus Pocus, maybe?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nope, this actually came up because someone reminded me of Hocus Pocus! We had that as well but this was a different game. I remember it as having much more elaborate artwork, like painted backgrounds rather than being all pixelly but that might just be my brain exaggerating given this was so long ago.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I saw a trailer of some game that had a similar vibe as Stranger Things, but it was third person coop where all the adults were aliens, or something.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Boz0r posted:

I saw a trailer of some game that had a similar vibe as Stranger Things, but it was third person coop where all the adults were aliens, or something.

Not third person, but The Blackout Club?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

That's it. Seems like it got good reviews too.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I guess this is less about remembering the name and more of tracking down memory of its existence on the web:

Does anyone remember 2AM Games and Chain of Command? I remember things like 2AM Games and GameSpy Arcade and other games launchers or portals being popular in the late 90s, but there seems to be very little evidence of the former's existence beyond a single video like this one (please excuse the generic 'epic' music): https://youtu.be/HSF-941tVfg

Why were these assorted launchers popular in the late 90s? Were things like Steam the inevitable next step as unified launcher/store/games library?

It just seems strange that a lot of people remember Sony Online Entertainment and Infantry but nobody seems to recall that similar isometric multiplayer shooter.

E:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 26, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Organza Quiz posted:

I assume this is your game, as "reviewed" by the least charismatic Youtube stars I've ever seen in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiFEl6PV9zE

Unfortunately that doesn't help in actually identifying it, and they skip over the opening credits which might have helped.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm poking at this a bit; from the other game attached, Alien Olympics, and from the general design it's almost certainly part of that special british dos generation; the graphic design strongly resembles Amiga games. From what I can tell it seems frighteningly possible that the double CD was the only release it ever got; the cut off credits suggest it was a one-man show.

I've reached out to the dude who made the video to ask if he can get any more information about its credits or creator.

vvvvv drat, totally beaten. I suspect this Chris Edwards to be the primary creator on that one.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 27, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
There appears to be a mention of it in here: https://archive.org/stream/gamesTM019/GTM_019_eMag_djvu.txt

Might help to track down the disk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
holy poo poo I'm pretty sure it's this guy:

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/11/second-life-couple-eddie-escher-rip.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cieu3_LJLg

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jul 27, 2020

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I'd say you're right. Funnily enough, knowing the name of the developer still doesn't make it any easier to search for the game. It doesn't help that he was involved in what seems like a dozen companies, and there was a much more popular game by the same name also out in the 90s.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I want to make sure I'm not losing my mind but the search engines give me nothing: I seem to recall some game that was sent to reviewers encased inside of meat, like ground beef or a steak or something, which the reviewers had to then extract from the pile of meat before they could play it. This seems like a very 00's thing to do, but it could have been earlier or later than that. Anyone got any ideas?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Tempura Wizard posted:

I want to make sure I'm not losing my mind but the search engines give me nothing: I seem to recall some game that was sent to reviewers encased inside of meat, like ground beef or a steak or something, which the reviewers had to then extract from the pile of meat before they could play it. This seems like a very 00's thing to do, but it could have been earlier or later than that. Anyone got any ideas?

For what it's worth, I vaguely remember that as well but can't remember what game it was.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Tempura Wizard posted:

That sounds a lot like something Acclaim would do. I was able to find Resident Evil 6 (not Acclaim, obviously) which had a promo event pretending to sell human meat, including sending meat labeled as human meat to reviewers? https://www.svg.com/146628/video-game-promotions-that-totally-backfired/

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Bulletstorm. Searched giant bomb for meat and you eventually get a mail bag where they received it

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Billy Gnosis posted:

Bulletstorm. Searched giant bomb for meat and you eventually get a mail bag where they received it

Yeah, that's the one! Thanks a million!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Tempura Wizard posted:

Yeah, that's the one! Thanks a million!

It was driving me crazy after reading your comment. For some reason I thought it was Blood. I think the expansion box looked like an iv bag or something which I guess technically is similar.

Google was really bad at getting anything remotely relevant.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

cmndstab posted:

I'd say you're right. Funnily enough, knowing the name of the developer still doesn't make it any easier to search for the game. It doesn't help that he was involved in what seems like a dozen companies, and there was a much more popular game by the same name also out in the 90s.

Omg though even this much is really cool! Thanks thread.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

An old NES game I played the hell out of.

You were either a frog, a person, or an ape of some kind. You rode either a skateboard or rollerscates, and maybe you sometimes didn't? Maybe sometimes you rode an inner-tube? I remember the game took place, at least in part, in like a jungle. It was a hard game because you were usually (or always?) on a skateboard and you know how skateboards are in NES games.

I can't remember any more than this. It's weird, because in my head, I can see it, like a memory, but these important key elements are missing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I Googled "NES jungle skateboard" and found it. It's called T & C Thrilla's Surfari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBJGfejVljI

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

credburn posted:

An old NES game I played the hell out of.

You were either a frog, a person, or an ape of some kind. You rode either a skateboard or rollerscates, and maybe you sometimes didn't? Maybe sometimes you rode an inner-tube? I remember the game took place, at least in part, in like a jungle. It was a hard game because you were usually (or always?) on a skateboard and you know how skateboards are in NES games.

I can't remember any more than this. It's weird, because in my head, I can see it, like a memory, but these important key elements are missing.

EDIT: Nevermind, I Googled "NES jungle skateboard" and found it. It's called T & C Thrilla's Surfari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBJGfejVljI

So weird.... I had no idea there were more T&C games other than "Surf Design"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3Y1PvQ_gXQ

I hated that game, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't make me nostalgic as hell for when I'd go to the store near my house to rent games, and this one was there, all the time.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
I'm looking for a browser adventure game that I played in maybe 2003 or so. It was a cartoony, I think French Flash game set on a tropical island with pretty nice background art by Flash game standards. I think it was single-player only, but there was a cave you could go into where you became some kind of rabbid-equivalent little man and could chat with other players and do silly emotes.

The main character looked something like this:

The title was a short nonsense word that was probably either the name of the main character or the island you were on. The game was based on a seemingly somewhat popular web cartoon series of the same name that I never watched, but I think I read that it was racist or otherwise unsavoury.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

EDIT: Bird's-eye view, point-and-click

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 28, 2020

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hated that game, but I'd be lying if I said it doesn't make me nostalgic as hell for when I'd go to the store near my house to rent games, and this one was there, all the time.

Thrilla's Surfari was the sequel, and the one I played the most as a kid because my neighbor had it. It's not a great game but it's better than the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, it kind of sucked, but almost every kid I knew who had an NES had it just because it was cheap to pick up second-hand and available everywhere.

Like most LJN games.