Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Elijah. posted:

I have quite a weird one. This is one of the first games I remember playing on a PC.

It was some sort of adventure game for kids. It was 2D, and if I'm not mistaken, was at a side-scrolling perspective for the whole game. All I remember is that you play as some sort of green monster kid (I think? I do remember the color green, and I don't think the character was human). It may have been a series of games, but in the one I played it centered around exploring an old (haunted?) mansion. The only specifics remember is that there's a lot of travelling in an elevator, and there's encounter with the Mona Lisa at some point. I'm pretty sure that the painting talks to you.

Hugo's House of Horrors?

Endorph posted:

I remember seeing some trailers for a game 2-4 years ago. I can't remember anything about it, other than the visual style: It was in a celshaded black and white style, sort of like the Sin City movie.

If it's older than the wii game metioned, perhaps it's XIII.

bluegoon posted:

Used to be a coin-op game I that really sticks to my mind, all I can remember is a little ninja, shooting a Scorpion like hook, and big giant red enemy ninja heads in a dungeon, anyone care to give it a shot?

Ninja Spirit has the grappling hook and was a coin-op.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, it's entirely possible that this game exists only in my fevered imagination and garbled memories of childhood, but here goes.

I'm looking for a game involving cybernetic implants. It's not Deus Ex, either System Shock, or Iji. I want to say that it's a brawler or 2d sidescroller, with a heavy melee component; my main memory is leg upgrades to run wicked fast.

Is this an actual game that exists, or am I just crazy?

Bioforge was about a cyborg and I remember it being really melee heavy. Although if that was the answer I figure you'd have mentioned beating people with a severed arm.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Sonance posted:

Arcade game from the early/mid-90s. It was an "on rails" space combat game with shaded (but probably not textured) 3D graphics. The version I played had a sit-down cabinet. Gameplay consisted of flying over and around huge capital ships, fending off enemy fighters, knocking out gun emplacements, etc. You'd loop back round for several passes of the same ships. Frame rates were nice and smooth and the game generally felt very slick, if a little short-lived. May have even been a laserdisc-based game, but it didn't contain any hokey "live action" nonsense, just well-rendered Tron-esque 3D graphics.

I don't suppose this would be StarBlade or Galaxian3?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

The first game is, I believe, an arcade game made in the 90's. It's kind of like a rail beat em up with the camera behind the character. You're this super buff crocodile dundee type guy out to rescue your girlfriend from these hordes of animals and beasts. It's kind of gory and high-impact. I never played it, I saw a youtube video of it a few years ago and thought it was awesome. I can't seem to find the clip anymore after an hour of using various keywords.

The First Funky Fighter?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo what the hell is this...

Don't ask just download. You play with the num pad because the original was literally a conversion of whack-a-mole.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Baldbeard posted:

Haha yep. Thanks. Now to figure out if this game is truly hard or if my child self just didn't have the coordination.

It's really, really hard.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

delirious pancake posted:

I watched a friend play a game around the mid-90s (probably 1998 at the latest), may have been SNES but he had all the systems - even the unpopular ones. I remember watching him explore sand dunes from a far out POV, and he had a team of 4 or 5 members. I think the battle screen had a setup sort of like Earthbound with the player names and stats on a rectangle at the bottom of the screen. The characters looked more like a Western comic book than the JRPGS I was used to.

I wish I could remember more, but it was a looong time ago and I was just a little kid. It's been bugging me for years! Any guesses?

I'd be shocked if this was it, but everything that you've said seems to apply to Wasteland.

Exploration:

Combat:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

al-azad posted:

PC driving game from late 80s/early 90s. The objective was to drive across the states although I don't remember from which end to the other. I can't remember if it was first person or third but I'm leaning on first considering the crappy CGA graphics (I remember lots of blues and reds) and it's a DOS game that I owned on my Windows 3.1 computer. If you drove over the speed limit too long you would be ticketed by invisible police?

The one thing I concretely remember is that I believe it was a product placement game for a certain car manufacturer. It was definitely someone who made sports cars and convertibles and you could upgrade your car using money you earned over time. When you won you got a crappy cutscene that kind of reminded me of winning Outrun.

One of the first three Test Drive games, perhaps? Or Ford Simulator?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

kaschei posted:

There was a game that was vaguely Worms-like that was very popular in 2003-2005 or so. It was one of the first big free-to-play with microtransactions you could use to spruce up your little tank or tank driver. It was basically cartoony and I think developed in Korea.

I specifically remember it had a boomerang launcher that was extremely affected by wind but did a ton of damage if you could calculate the right trajectory and gave it a high arc. Most people used a beetle(?) tank that shot four explosive balls that would roll before exploding.

Gunbound

moller
Jan 10, 2007

The Interloper posted:

An Amiga action game where you fought through a Nazi fortress or similar from a top-down view, as in only head and shoulders are visible most of the time. I think the player character was green. Not sure of any other details because I never played it, but always wanted to.

Castle Wolfenstein was on the Amiga, although I think the player sprite was more purple than green.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Arcade game: You drive a jeep in... Africa? I think? And catch various animals. Gotta play with a little stick shift thing and shift it to the right zone to catch them, or they get away.

Sucker ate a billion of my quarters.

Sega's Jambo! Safari.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

The Postman posted:

This is from my early memories so bear with me. The game was a sidescroller for the NES where I believe you played as someone sneaking around a dark city in the first level. Thats all I played of it but I can still remember the tune that played.

It could be Rescue: The Embassy Mission if you never got past the moving the snipers into position part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i93e_DcCQc

That part had bitchin' music.

moller fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 29, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Anatharon posted:

I vaguely recall a game that was a 2D fighter (not smash bros) that had large fighting areas with some kind of platforming involved. I think there was enviromental weapons maybe? It was pretty old and I think it was pretty bad, too.

It might've been made fun of in one of slowbeef and Diabeetus' retsupuraes.

Perhaps The Outfoxies?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

JPrime posted:

Another longshot. Sometime in the 1986-1990 timeframe, I remember playing an arcade game that had an anime/akira-looking style to it, I think. It was sort of sci-fi/futuristic, I think? And I think the gameplay style was very similar to dragon's lair/space ace.

Time Gal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Gal

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Heart of China? Seems like you would remember the Chinese theme, but it is a very pulpy first person adventure game where you hijack a tank at one point.

If not that, Dynamix made another similar game called Rise of the Dragon.

Heart of China also had a pier/dock as its very first screen.

RotD was cyberpunk though, no tanks or nazis. Also the action bits were side scrolling.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 20, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Kulkasha posted:

Need help remembering a game from my early childhood. Probably NES, platformer where you play as a Conan-looking dude. The only gameplay I remember is going through a beige-colored forest and entering in doors in the trees and getting keys Mario 2-style. The doorways were shaped like gothic arches.

Wizards and Warriors? (or Wizards and Warriors 2: Iron Sword)

Admittedly, you're a non-descript twit in armor rather than a conan looking dude, but the beige forests and gothic arch doors check out. Also, the cover of the second game had Fabio on it.

Edit for bitchin' Rare music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGWiNiLAy94

moller fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 10, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Wing War looks amazing. I suppose it had a spiritual sequel in the AM2 developed Propeller Arena for the dreamcast.

Which was never released.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

No Gravitas posted:

A very long shot, but what the hell.

My only memory is that there was a level called <SOMETHING> heart, dark heart.

That's it.

Yeah. :(

http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/ddsom_bosses.html#stage106

The final stage of Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara called Inner Heart, Dark Heart?

Edit: Rats.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

murphyslaw posted:

Someone on the forums (I think - could easily have dreamt it) talked somewhere about a new(ish?) game that was reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus in that it had something to do with crawling all over big monsters or -something-. I loved that game and am up for anything like it, please tell me I didn't just hallucinate something like a stupid bastard. Tia

Dragon's Dogma has climbing on monsters. There's also Titan Souls on steam which is a puzzle-boss rush. And, obligatory :darksouls: mention.

vvv

Edit: Yeah, I included Dark Souls under the "or -something-" clause. It doesn't have boss climbing but it does have puzzle bosses and an obfuscated narrative and made up languages and a seamless explorable world and moral ambiguity and a sense of overwhelming odds and a bunch of other stuff that's SotC-y. Or perhaps both DS1 and SotC are different takes on grimdark zelda.

I can't think of another game with a horse buddy though. Agro!

moller fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Cheez posted:

It doesn't match nearly anything of what you said, but if the artist is Bill Plympton and the game was called Take Your Best Shot, it would.

Huh, his description of "boxed collection of minigames + screensavers based on a famous property" made me think of Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time, which was also by 7th Level.

Edit: Also, the hair and builds of "Joe" and "The Boss" kind of seem like they could be evocative of regan and gorby. Kinda. Sorta.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 11, 2015

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

Holy poo poo the ending of this game is amazing.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

No, it's not. I never had a Spectrum and I remember the graphics were almost entirely green, grey and brown, but the design looks so similar that the game I played may have been a clone.

Morkin 2?
Magic and Mayhem?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

SevenSocks posted:

The second one I have low hopes for, but I'm pretty sure it was an early 2000's partial FMV exploration horror game, the kind of FMV where pictures or stills of real people are transposed on the world for the characters, or something similar. I only picked up the box, but the front cover was some old dilapidated barn, and on the back there were screens of the area around it and some old west town. I want to say the implication was some plot about limited time travel to certain places, and the whole aesthetic was washed out. Tagline was something along "There's something more beyond the barnyard."

?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Fans posted:

A game I played on Playstation 1 and PC, about a future where Police drive robots with a surprising amount of guns. It could transform between a fast transport mode and a walker mode.

It was a Co-op game and had a really good Multiplayer mode which was a rather early tower defense game where your base would spawn minions while you tore around the map capping bases and occasionally sending out a super unit.

In one of the earlier missions you set fire to a crowd with a flamethrower while it shouts "Crowd Control", in an excellent display of good future policing

I think the name of it actually had a date and the word Police in it.

Future Cop: LAPD?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I wonder if this was finally cancelled because they started working in earnest on that official Cyberpunk 2020 game or what.

Now that I think about it didn't a bunch of "the devs of _____ are doing a cyberpunk FPS now!!" games get announced around that time? Besides They there was Cyberpunk, Hard Reset (which did actually come out, this was the first game from the Shadow Warrior people who had also worked on Painkiller) and also Samaritan from Epic Games/Cliffy B. There's one other I can't remember.

The devs of Yakuza did a cyberpunk TPS around the same time - Binary Domain.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Suffer like G did.

Also I feel bad for you since the version where you use a keyboard and all the agents have Dreamcasts on their back is clearly the canonical one.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

If it's PSX it could also be the concisely named Irritating Stick.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone remember a World War 2 airplane shmup where you end up flying to the moon? I thought it was 1940-something but there were about 10 different 194_'s

Strikers 1945

Giant Enemy Crab :v:

Edit: Bonus Aerofighters 2 Screenie:

Oliester posted:

I'm looking for some sort of robocop type game, dark and you can upgrade to get a drone and poo poo. It's not actually robocop, just something like that. SNES or DOS

Total shot in the dark here but Shatterhand was a NES game with a dark palette where you were part robot and punched dudes. The main upgrade mechanic was a drone that flew over your shoulder and got different weapons. IIRC the ultimate upgrade gave you a full suit of robotic armor.

moller fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 13, 2017

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Artelier posted:

Help please! Old 3D game for the PC (DOS I guess?). Like, really old.

WHAT I REMEMBER:
- Models are made up of solid colours that are in various ball shapes, some more ovally than others. Don't think there was any textures or the like.
- Pretty sure it starts with E. I keep thinking Eschalon but that's an old-school RPG made quite a fair bit more recently.
- I think it had monsters and demons and stuff?
- Pretty sure it got a sequel.
- Maybe you could choose male/female character to begin the game?
- Fixed camera iirc, Resident Evil style, but I believe not pre-rendered.

Every year or so I'll think of this game, and then I'll blank on the name, and it drives me nuts. Possibly the first game I played on computer, or at least the one that made the biggest impression, even though I know for sure I never owned it, hah.

al-azad posted:

"Hello, this is IT. Have you tried Ecstatica, Castle of the Winds, or Return Fire?"

baka kaba posted:

It's Ecstatica and I bet without looking that it's in the op!

Ok there is no op, i guess that's in the other thread. Anyway it comes up a lot!

Sloober posted:

Alone in the Dark comes to mind, nothing had textures but the backgrounds, all models were largely flat, altho there was some mottled ones.

It's almost certainly Ecstatica, but I did notice that everything he said other than "begins with E" applies equally to Alone in the Dark - PC/DOS, barely textured ballmonsters, surprise demons, got a sequel, male/female character selection, fixed cameras.

Although researching how both Ecstatica and AitD did their "backgrounds" it seems Ecstatica used, ehr, "sets" made of environmental objects also rendered in ellipsoids, as opposed to simply flat pre-rendered or drawn backgrounds.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

And yeah, he did lead with "balls" which is generally a 100% Ecstatica ID (unless it's Ballz, I guess.)

I'm pretty sure the monsters in AitD also exploded into a cloud of balls when they died. Balls.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

That's the Game of Life, but Conway, not Parker Bros. AKA Life.

Edit: I didn't know he originally developed it on a Go board and it later moved to computers. That's neat.

moller fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 17, 2017

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I was thinking about changing my avatar, and I have a vague, possibly invented memory of a cute snake enemy who rolls at you ouroboros-fashion, from some sprite-based game. I want to say it was red, and maybe from an obscure-ish NES game like Ufouria or Utusurun Desu. At the very least, that's the sort of art style I'm picturing.

I think that is utsurun desu or maybe kendo rage?

EDIT: Scrubbed through an utsurun desu speedrun and ole' otterman seems to only fight humans, books, ghosts, and pairs of shoes. I swear I've seen the sprite you're describing in the last year or so.

moller fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 2, 2017

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Karanas posted:

Jesus Christ

I love this thread so, so much.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Master System Castlevania clone where you have a sword and fight Jack the Ripper (maybe??) anyone?

I feel like this is too easy but Vampire: Master of Darkness?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Spiteski posted:

Double post but:

Holy poo poo I was wrong.

I haven't actually played it but I know it by reputation as "that game with a cute kid and dog on the cover that is actually about graphic dismemberment."

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Is this not the Paradox 4x Stellaris?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

The Sengoku trilogy are SNK beat-em-ups with a character switching gimmick. I don't think any of them let you play as a Sumo, but the transformations are sometimes unlocked by defeating bosses.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

It adds a nice emphasis.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Drunk in Space posted:

Trying to find a futuristic flight sim I played a demo of back in the 90's. From what I recall you flew some kind of VTOL vehicle around an industrial city at night time. I remember the city had these big bright circular lights everywhere, as well as lots of factories. It was a 3D game with simple but quite nice-looking polygonal graphics, and a kind of purple/black colour scheme, I think?

I wish I could remember more about it. I think I actually played it off a PC mag demo disk sometime around 95/96, and it might have in fact been more of a tech demo type thing, so who knows if it was even released as an actual game.

1997's G-Police?

moller fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moller
Jan 10, 2007

MonkeyforaHead posted:

engage in solo battle with other units in what feels like a weird action-strategy spinoff of chess or something

This part sounds like Archon but the rest of the details don't really fit since that's "a literal chessboard" rather than "move screen to screen"