Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I just remembered a 4x game I used to play when I was young. It was shareware, presumably made for Win 3.1, and very similar to Masters of Orion and Space Empires. It was fairly simplistic, with a lot of the ship graphics being blue colored blocky blobs.

If it helps, I think it was made by "MVP Games" as there was a splash screen to that effect. Or was it "MVP Software"? It was MVP something.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Grey posted:

Searching Mobygames for scifi/strategy/MVP Software turns up Facing the Empire. Is that it?

Thanks for the try, but looking at the screens that's definitely not it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cobweb Heart posted:

2. Very old game for MS-DOS. I barely remember anything about this and don't expect to find it. You played as a guy, I think teenage or college-age. I think you were fighting against aliens, although I don't remember any of the actual action, so it might have been a puzzle game or something. At one point (or maybe the whole game, I dunno), you collected soda cans. I remember the graphics being pretty primitive, but the level I can remember had a rather distinctive layout - I recall being underground.

This sounds a lot like Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

HereticSenility posted:

I just remembered a 4x game I used to play when I was young. It was shareware, presumably made for Win 3.1, and very similar to Masters of Orion and Space Empires. It was fairly simplistic, with a lot of the ship graphics being blue colored blocky blobs.

If it helps, I think it was made by "MVP Games" as there was a splash screen to that effect. Or was it "MVP Software"? It was MVP something.

Still curious about this one, I haven't been able to find so much as a trace of it. I'm thinking the "MVP" thing was a red herring, that I remembered it wrong or mixed it up with a different game.

It was on one of those crappy "1,000 Games for Windows" CDs, I might look and see if I still have it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

0staf posted:

The only game I can think of is called Facing The Empire (http://www.mobygames.com/game/facing-the-empire) which was developed by MVP software, but the graphics look just text based, so more primative than you suggested:

Thanks, but its been mentioned before and that's not it :(

I found the disc it came on, but unfortunately I can't run it on my 64-bit system, as I thought. If I can find an older computer to run it on I may be able to find out what it was.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

HereticSenility posted:

Thanks, but its been mentioned before and that's not it :(

I found the disc it came on, but unfortunately I can't run it on my 64-bit system, as I thought. If I can find an older computer to run it on I may be able to find out what it was.

Found it! It's Crusade in Space.

It's no Master of Orion, but I had fun with it back in the day.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SourceElement posted:

The other game I know was at least part of a series. I distinctly recall there being two of them, and I'm pretty sure they were also on one of those shareware CDs. This game had really crappy graphics and they were overhead 2D. It had a very basic character creation and then you wandered the world to quest, I guess. No, it wasn't NetHack. I think it only had 256 colors available, because there weren't any complex colors on the map screen. Grass was bright lime green, water was a deep blue color, swamps were a darker green, etc.

Was it a Dragon Quest clone? If so, it may have been a Sword Quest(DOS, not Atari).

It may also have been an Exile game, I'm pretty sure those are common on shareware CDs.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sapato posted:

This game was on the forum less then a month ago but I can't find it. I never played it but it's a final fantasy tactics type game but you only control 1 player. I think its a free to play online rpg as well, its not poxnora though, It also has an isometric angle, and pixel style graphics.

This is probably Vantage Master Online

EDIT: or Dofus

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 18, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Okay, I just remembered a game that was an oddball in the computer lab of the elementary school I went to, as it was pretty non-educational. It was an RPG where battles had an RTS-like format, and you could play as several main characters, each based on a particular element and having different units. The Death guy was the main villain I think, and had to be unlocked by beating the game.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sounds like Lords of Magic. The Death guy's name was Balkoth, rode a giant bat.

It was more a strategy game with RPG elements, though. There wasn't any real plot to speak of.

Yeap, that's it all right. The character select screen is exactly what I remember. Thanks mate.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Akoogly Eyes posted:

Quite a few years ago, I played a game on my PC that placed you in the role of a prehistoric caveman. You had to travel around, gathering food by hunting or foraging while avoiding enemy tribes and dangerous animals. One really cool thing about the game was the crafting, you could make hatchets and assegais (some kind of a spear I think) out of flint. This is what the crafting interface looked like:

Another thing I remember from the game was the conversation system. While wandering around in the wilderness, you'd find other people who you could talk to. Sometimes they'd get angry and threaten to kill you, but you could talk to them and threaten them back and sometimes they would get absolutely terrified and beg for mercy.

The version I played was only the demo version, the village elder of my home village gave me a task to hunt some food for the tribe and after I came back with the food he went "Thanks for the help! If you want to play more, buy the full version of the game!". I think I might have axed him in the face after that and gotten the entire tribe angry at me.

That looks and sounds identical to The Lost Tribe, is that it?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kemmler posted:

There's this cyberpunk vampire adventure pc game? .. innit Van Helsing was a vampire, bit the main character, who had a chip in his brain keepin him from turning to vamp.. had a cyberpunkish name that I cant recall.. so halp?

Would this be BloodNet?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Was it GameBiz, or its sequel?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DarthJeebus posted:

That's it, thanks! Geez I knew it was kinda old, but I didn't think it was "Windows 3.1" old.

Edit: Okay so it's not technically that old, but I didn't think to look on Abandonia for it.

Actually, the first is about 2004 I think, it's more a (poor in execution) aesthetic. Abandonia Reloaded is kind of a sister site to Abandonia more dedicated to freeware as opposed to abandonware. I'm pretty sure updates are ridiculously infrequent these days.

EDIT: Looking at the news on the site, they're apparently going to change the name to just Reloaded, which makes total sense.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 17, 2010

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Van Ishikawa posted:

Today I was hit with a very old memory of a game my grandpa would let me play sometimes. It was a DOS game where you played a diver and had to avoid a bunch of obstacles and collect treasure, and there was some kind of extra challenges that you needed to actually progress to later levels. It had pretty cool pixel art for the time, I think. Might have been an educational game and I just didn't notice :downs:

If it was educational, I'm pretty sure there's a game in the Super Solvers series where you play a diver. If it helps, the mascots of sorts were adorable little starfish guys.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PSWII60 posted:

Here's one, I remember a game from the early 90's or late 80's ish area. Essentially it was a side view maze game where you were an orange sub searching for some sort of space meteor-x or something. Periodically you'd have to solve a math problem to continue, taking damage for an incorrect answer. You also had ink pellets to incapacitate sea-life temporarily. I'd love to play it again.

Definitely Operation Neptune.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Caufman posted:

There was an old edutainment game collection on all the school computers in my old elementary school. It had a few unrelated games, one of them being a marching band simulator, where you can set up and program a field of band kids do simple things like turn left, turn right, move forward, and the like. Anyone else remember something like this?

If I remember correctly, there was a marching band simulator in one of the Thinkin' Things collections.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Yakattak posted:

This is a stretch but I remember playing it on a Apple Performa. Basically you had to go around collecting parts for a plane and everytime you got a new part you'd try to fly it and see how far it'd go. I remember a crazy scientist, and I think it was a platformer. Also the icon was like a yellow gear thing. I know it's not much to go on but maybe one of you guys has played it as well.

This could be Super Solvers: Gizmos & Gadgets. I think you had to build several different kinds of vehicles, and the last one(?) was a plane.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kontradaz posted:

The game I'm thinking of is a 2D Shooter/Side-scroller. The most I can remember is what I believe to be the ending, where you have this guy with guns and maybe a jetpack going around a space-station/rocket place trying to save this one girl from dying. PC-Game, 1995-2003

Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Pierzak posted:

I remember a game from late EGA-early VGA age: a platformer where to activate switches/puzzles/platforms you had to answer history trivia etc. It had civilization-themed episodes (Egyptian, Asian, etc.). Anyone know the title?

Sounds like it could be that proto-Super Solvers game. Challenge of the Ancient Empires, I think it was called.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cwapface posted:

There was a game I had on CD-ROM when I was little that, to the best of my memory, was part point-and-click adventure game, part minigame-collection (colouring-in and poo poo) based on Peter Pan. I don't think it had anything to do with the Disney movie, and I thought it was Lucasarts for a long time, but I can't find anything to do with Peter Pan in their back catalogue. The copy I had came bundled with another game, which may have been Eagle Eye Mysteries, but I can't remember.

Does anybody know it?

Sounds like Peter Pan: A Story Painting Adventure, by the short-lived EA Kids. I think they also did one for Around the World in 80 Days.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bondematt posted:

So I've had one that has been bugging me for years.

In elementary school my Brother was selected to test a console that was made for educational games. I don't remember much about the console itself, but I remember the games alright.

This would have been between '94-'96 and was in Poway, CA at Midland Elementary. One of the games the main character was a moose who rode a rocket powered surfboard and his catchphrase was "Hang loose with the moose". It was terrible. I remember you had to ride on the sidewalk and when you hit things it really slowed you down. You had to do something in between flying down the street, like answer questions I assume.

Another was a kind of set up a kingdom thing, you could place people and they would interact, but I don't remember any specifics cause I couldn't figure poo poo out.

The third almost looked like a lovely Myst, but you answered math questions and solve puzzles to collect...something. One level was in the sky in a Victorian like bathysphere-ish environment, or possibly underwater. Another level you were in a cave and the most detailed part I remember is answering questions while swinging across between ropes over a pit.

I have never found any information on this. My dad remembers it too, but unfortunately got rid of the forms he signed for it years ago. I'll ask my brother for any details he remembers, but I am pretty surprised "hang loose with the moose" doesn't get me anywhere.

I'm pretty sure it was disk drive.

With some research I've found a possibility.

Could they have been the "Lightspan Adventures" series of educational titles for the PlayStation?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Got two weird ones...again.

One was a game where you build floating ship-like islands that battle each other. You could put spikes on them and cannons, think there were other weapons too. I got a demo of this in a demo CD pack. You had catapults too.

This guy is looking for the same game: http://ask.metafilter.com/105126/Name-these-strange-older-PC-games

And another: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110326051932AAV4WfN

Edit: I missed the answer on the first link :downs: Stratosphere

Another was a game where you start out on a space station, and you were supposed to be a captain of a ship or something. There was a shop that sold weapons and I think you could recruit crew mates. I could never figure out how to actually start a mission. I think this came from the same, or another demo pack. I remember it looking kinda cartoony.

I may still have the disks for these, but each one has a ton of games on them.

The second could be a number of spiritually similar games. Starflight, Star Command, Star Control, or Star Control 2, perhaps?

E: nevermind, saw your E:

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Wideshanks posted:

PC game from late 80s, early 90s. Color. You controlled a spaceship in a screen that was constantly-scrolling upward.

You were surrounded by all manner of other ships, some going faster, some going slow.
Occasionally a "police ship" would appear at the bottom and make its way past; if you fired on another ship when the police were present, their sirens would go off and they'd chase you.

All the ships constantly pointed toward the top of the screen, so the police chasing you was really just it moving closer to you without swerving or appear to change its direction.

I saw this the other day:

and it reminded me of the game, except the game was 10x slower than the animation it shows.

I think I had that on my Mac Performa. Was it Spaceway 2000 by any chance?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Trying to remember the name of some odd, humorous...RTS I think? The idea was that you designed tanks by slapping parts on top of each other like a stack of pancakes. I think sheep were some sort of resource? It made very little sense IIRC.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

JordanKai posted:

That's definitely Tanktics.

That'll be it! Thanks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

odd2k posted:

Here's what I think is a really tough one:

The game was a first person 3d dungeon crawler for Windows 95 (I think), I got it from on one of those demo CDs somewhere around the late 90's. You controlled one character, and could choose from various races/classes at the start, some pretty weird ones like sasquatch/yeti. You started out in the town, with a big door leading into the dungeon. I remember you could tame the mobs inside the dungeon, although they would eventually turn feral again. You could have them whipped in town to increase their tameness. I remember an easily tamable mob called a psuedodragon. I think the stage 1 boss was this huge guy called a slavemasher/slavekeeper or something like that, huge guy with lots of tiny slaves.

All the UI in the game was based on regular Windows form controls, and it looked hilariously awful. I have no idea if this game ever made it past the demo stage, all I know is that I can find no mention of it anywhere on the internet.

I played this a lot from a shareware CD when I was a kid. It's Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol.

There was a spiritual sequel called Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan that is clunky as hell but somehow a fun dungeon crawler despite that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

andrew smash posted:

I'm stuck on one. This was an old freeware or shareware title I got off of AOL or compuserve back in 95 or so. It was a bog standard fantasy RPG with low fi sprite graphics and a tile-based overworld. The only specific thing I remember about it was that I found a note in the game referring to an npc named Jamall and the inventory referred to it as "Jamall note". This has been bugging me for years. If anybody knows it I figure this thread will.

Could be one of the Exile games from Spiderweb Software.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

excusemeprincess posted:

I should add it was in space.

edit: it was super low key in the thread. I won't be surprised if nobody can tell me what it is, but it would be awesome if someone could remember it. I've tried google but I can't think of any good searchs to bring up anything useful.

Is it Iji, by any chance?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Cheez posted:

So it's been bugging me for a while but there was this game for DOS, or at least I'm assuming it was. You were trapped on a desert island and you had to continually make decisions to try and survive and escape. I don't remember it being very complex but I believe you could at least make an attempt to get food or signal for help in various ways.

The only reason I'm aware of it is because of it being on a school PC, but I wasn't at that particular school on a permanent basis so the name of it and other details just never stuck with me.

Could it be:

-Wilderness: A Survival Adventure
-Robinson's Requiem
-Deus

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Deakul posted:

I'm trying to remember an indie game that was in development a while back.
I think it was either a god game or a city builder but its gimmick was it was stylized like a flipbook or something and they released some kind of demo that let you set everything on fire.

I wanna say it was 2 years ago when I last heard about it.

could be godus or reus

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

Maybe, but it's not a strategy game.

I suppose one could be confused, though.

fallout tactics, or maybe one of the jagged alliance games?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I just remembered a few things.

The first is a game that plays a ton like Dungeon Master, played it in the early/mid 90s I think. The player characters were modern kids IIRC and the enemy theme skewed very heavily towards oversized bugs though that might've just been for the early levels. I think it was a windowed 3.1x/95 game.

The other is an archery game with a big Robin Hood theme, you moved up and down and fired on moving targets like balloons etc.

I believe both of these were shareware.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

:colbert: I rest my case.

?

That's definitely the second, thanks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Trying to remember the sort of game that would've been on shareware CDs and such.

It was a text adventure game RPG where the ultimate goal was to defeat some sort of evil king. I think it was a BASIC application but I'm not 100% on that. You can level up and such, and I remember fighting gulls while traversing the ocean.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Terebus posted:

The game I'm thinking of was an old platformer where you could choose between 3 different robot characters that had their own unique models. I believe they could transform. Some of them could hook upwards. It was pretty dark. I'll try to remember other details if anyone can help.

Metal Warriors?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've been trying to come across details for an arcade game I played at, of all places, my elementary school. When I was in first grade (1992/1993), my school acquired an arcade cabinet with an anti-smoking/anti-drug game. I don't remember a lot of details about it, but the school had it for a week (sat in each of the two first grade rooms for a couple of days and then was available to play at the PTO carnival that week) and I haven't come across any details of mention of it since. There were 3-4 levels to choose from and one of the levels involved a personified cigarette riding a machine (lawnmower?), but I don't remember any of the other levels or characters.

I've spent years searching for this game and the only indication it actually exists is that a few of my classmates remember playing the game as well, one of them bringing up the cigarette trying to run the protagonist over with a machine of some sort. I've even gone so far as to contact my old school to see if they have any paperwork from that far back, but they weren't able to find anything. I'm unsure whether this cabinet/board was available outside a school trading program.

The thing that frustrates me most about this search is that I went to a fairly small public school in rural Illinois and I refuse to believe my dinky school was the only place this thing went to. I thought maybe it had something to do with D.A.R.E., but I'm not coming up with anything. Likely created in mid/late 1992, possibly early 1993.

The one anti-drug arcade game I really remember is NARC, could that have been it?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Ball Cupper posted:

Ages ago I played a freeware game. It was 2d top-down, and a space combat game. You plan the move that your space ships will make (including firing), and then you hit "go" and the move plays out at the same time as the opponent's moves. It plays for about 3 - 5 seconds, then the next planning bit happens, and so on. What would you call this, simultaneous-turn-based?

I remember there being different types of space ship, and the plan-then-action setup of the game stood out to me, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called! Any ideas?

Was this game mostly combat, or was this the combat system within a 4x/strategy game?

Because if the latter, it could be Stars! or VGA Planets

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

No, those are a bit closer but not what I'm remembering. This seriously was a lovely little game included on one of those WOW! 1000 GAMES!! shareware CDs. I've been digging through abandonia.com and mobygames for the last hour or so to no avail, so I'd be surprised if anyone could come up with it with the meager description I provided. The graphics were REALLY basic, it may have even been in black and white.

Does this look familiar? I had been looking for it in the past which is why I'm aware of its existence.

http://sharewarelair.tumblr.com/post/113315105795/game-1-crusade-in-space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I've been having little luck searching for a game I remember that was "hidden" on a shareware CD (on the disc, but not indexed in the little readme thing that was on it). I think it was a Wayzata disc?

The most I can remember about it is that it was a Dragon Quest clone, complete with combat that's kinda a box over the map, and the towns and such looked like they'd fit in Ultima IV (IIRC building names were set down as text in tiles like in Ultima)

Oh, and it ran on DOS