Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If it doesn't have to be an NES game, it might be Run Saber for the SNES.

[EDIT] Ah, a more modern game? Dunno what to tell you then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Could be one of the Lords of Magic games.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Shalhavet posted:

F-15 Strike Eagle III looks the closest, but I don't remember the menu very well. No mention of a code wheel either. It wasn't a Jane's game. Gameplay was hardcore, and there was a campaign, though I couldn't tell you what it was about. There was a mission involving the destruction of a bridge and a convoy in the same area, but I'm afraid most combat flight sims have that.

EDIT: It was on 5 1/4" floppies. Looking around on MobyGames (Thanks for that site, by the way) it looks like it may have been JetFighter II: Advanced Tactical Fighter, but once again, there's no mention of a code wheel for that game.

It sounds an awful lot like a game I had off a big freeware/shareware CD when I was a kid (it also had Might & Magic 2). I want to say it was *something* Raptor, but not the more modern F-22 Raptor game. Hopefully that helps your search. I can't really remember much beyond that and I can't do in depth looking at work.

Honestly, the only thing I remember about it was the bridge blowing up mission and a menu option called "Zulu Alert" which I played a ton because you didn't have to take off and land in that mode. :toot:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Ah, you're right on the name. Nice. I guess the code wheel part was from another game on the CD. How many games had code wheels back then? Jesus.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vrikkian posted:

PC game. I think it was a party based hack n slash that didn't do very well. Came out maybe 10 years ago. The volumes/episodes were called books I think? I remember I only played the first one and you were in a castle for a long time. That's all I remember.

Throne of Darkness.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TroubledWaters posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms! Is that 10?

Looks like 9, actually. It was still fun making a unit of Marksmen and rolling around as in independent wrecking people's poo poo by joining battles in progress.

Marksmen were so overpowered it wasn't even funny. It was supposed to be balanced by the fact that only certain cities could upgrade units to Marksman units, and only with certain buildings. But as an independent you could just ride in, pay for the upgrade, and go wherever. Sure, you only got one unit of them, but 10k guys with guns in ancient China is still pretty nasty.

OSad, was Fate of the Dragon any good?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still waiting for Volume 2 of Rap Jam and Primal Image.

There's a Diablo clone I can't remember the name of. It came out some time in between Icarus and Revenant so late nineties. I'm pretty sure it only came out on PC but it is NOT Darkstone, Clans, or Nox. In the grim dark world of nineties gaming, all I remember for sure is that the setting was vaguely post apocalyptic but had magic/powers and guns also. It was definitely real time too not like Fallout Tactics or Odium.

This is stretching the idea of "Diablo Clone" but it could always be Arcanum.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Funkmaster General posted:

To play faster, you need more good computer.

I can't be the only one that read that answer in the voice of Peggy from the Captial One/USA Prime Credit ads.

Really, every game should have that in its FAQ.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It definitely isn't the Descent games, I thought of those at first too but the only part that really matches is the BFG Missile (which in this case would be Earthshaker Missiles). There isn't really anything scenic or snakey about them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SixtySix posted:

looking at those other screenshots, this has gotta be it. Thanks, it was driving me crazy trying to remember it. I recalled a beach level and I was thinking this was a volleyball game :v:

It didn't help that it was basically played on a volleyball court without the net (but your guys could still jump that high like they were going to spike the ball).

Super Dodgeball was a great game though. I've still got a copy of the NES cart sitting here. You could knock people clear around the world with some of the super shots. :allears:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

poo poo, you're right. I finally may see the end of this game!

Another one, I've posted it in previous "remember that game" threads but I don't think it was ever answered:

A much earlier PC 3d game, from before textures on polygons were commonplace (think StarFox). I believe it was DOS-based, or Windows 3.1. It was a flight combat game, where you piloted a spaceship/hovercraft around the surface of different planets, most of which seemed to be made of shallow valley/canals. I think the plot is that you were some type of mercenary, and you could choose which missions to take and which planets to go to.

That's literally all I know. I believe if I saw a screenshot I'd recognize it.

It wasn't Terminal Velocity was it?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think this was a free PC game. It was a sort of tower defense game where I think it was easy to build a lot of towers but they shared energy. You had to balance the power drain from all the towers. I think there may have been a way to shoot power forward like the prism towers in Red Alert.

If it was a flash game, it may have been one of the Creeper World series.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cassa posted:

Anyone remember a PC modern warfare game from about 6 or 7 years ago, it had a mission where you were mounted in humvees and then got attacked so you had to enter a building while you murdered the attackers. I'm pretty sure it was a co-op game as well.

That could actually be Modern Warfare 2 which had some missions near the start where you're driving through town in a convoy and get attacked by guys with RPGs and end up having to fight your way to an evac point through buildings, one of which used to be a school (but was apparently abandoned aside from the bad guys).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cassa posted:

Maybe, but I'm almost certain it was cooperative. Did the MW games have coop campaigns?

MW1 didn't, I think MW2 and 3 did? I didn't play 3, but I remember playing co-op in 2 a bit with friends.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Has to be, with him mentioning tank treads. He's specifically thinking of Deceased Crab's LP of it, with "Singing Ninja Tank" being the memorable part of the LP.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone remember an old PC flight/space combat sim type of game where you flew around in these sort of futuristic VTOL craft? It had pretty decent looking 3D graphics and the combat was in atmosphere but it played kind of like a space sim. Also it wasn't Hardwar which I know sort of fits that description.

I remember playing a demo of it back when it came out but never played the full version. Since I can't find anything that matches that description on space sim lists it probably sucked but I still want to look it up again.

Was it first person? Because it might be Terminal Velocity (which was such a good game you should try it anyway, even if that's not it).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Robotic_Towel posted:

Mid-to-late 90's PC game, it was VTOL ship combat, one of the first missions took place on Ganymede, one of Jupiter's moons. You were fighting the chinese, and they had stealth ships. I remember playing the demo of this game when I was younger, and I was blown away by the fact that if your ship got blown up, you ejected and could run around with a rifle. I seriously can't remember the name of the game, or much more then that. I for some reason have the begining monologue memorized from it, but googling that yielded nothing.

Wikipedia has a list of games that take place on Ganymede. None of them explicitly mention the Chinese, but maybe that'll help.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

THE BAR posted:

This was a platformer, CGA graphics. I only remember the starting level, as the game was rock hard, but you start by having your spaceship crash into the ground, maybe offscreen to the left, where you'll walk out from and start your standard shooty platformer routine on a rocky surface. This is all I remember from the game, but I distinctly remember the box art, which had a guy that looked uncannily like Simon Belmont from Captain N, some green/grey goblin/alien/monster guy looking menacingly at him, with some kind of metal space city or station behind them and MAYBE a pink/purple background.

It's been bothering me for years on end, as I spent an entire night getting that bloody floppy to work on my old 286!

It wasn't one of the first two Duke Nukems was it? They were shooter/platformers back then, and Duke Nukem 2 started with his spacecraft being shot down. (Which is why Duke Nukem 3D starts with "Those bastards shot down my ride again!")

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mr Cynicism posted:

An old pc game that came out around win 95 that was a ctf game. Two people could play on the same keyboard. You were given 4 or 5 units like a tank, jeep, and I think a man and you played ctf. Don't remember much of a campaign.

Was it a turn based game? I remember one that was CTF, turn based, from roughly that area with various units like that. I can't remember the name, but the title screen had "LAND SEA AIR" on it, and I think it was a sequel (and thus had 2 in the name). Close Combat 2 came to mind, but it wasn't nearly so detailed as the Close Combat games.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I was actually thinking of Operation Combat 2.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I remember being floored by a Colony Wars demo as a kid. I never did get the game. I think I'd be sad to play it at this point, because there's no way it could live up to what I remember from ages ago.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have very vague memories of a game from my early childhood that I found perplexing but haven't seen since. It was on the NES and you were a witch. I remember there being brooms and powerups and the witch changed color. I kind of want to say it was sort of a Megaman-inspired game in that way but I don't really remember much about it. Which is perplexing...my uncle had a copy of it but I never saw it ever again after we played it some. It must not have been very good.

The Krion Conquest. I did a lovely partial LP of it several years ago, and still couldn't remember the name until I checked. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup, that's the one. Thanks.

...wow I was right, that game isn't very good.

I dunno, it's reasonably fun for a game of it's age. It is kind of bullshit in level layouts and boss mechanics sometimes, if I recall. It's probably not the worst Megaman ripoff of all time.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

al-azad posted:

Shadowrun I guess.

If it's not this (which you should play anyway), it might be Soldier of Fortune/Chaos Engine.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The arcade that was in the mall when I was a kid had a really odd poker game that had a gun. You had to shoot the cards to decide what to do rather than just like pushing buttons or whatever. It wasn't there long as it was neither popular nor very good. It was also stupidly hard to win (or maybe I just sucked at poker) and you had to have a shootout when you lost. It sticks out in my mind because of how bizarre it is in retrospect.

I remember two particular extremely stereotyped characters. One was a grizzled, middle-aged gun slinger who offered his gun to cover all bets if he ran out of money and another was a young woman in a revealing dress that offered a ring. I think the dress was blue. I think there was another character or two but I forget. It was a long time ago and I played it like twice.

Showdown?

(Finding a non-MAME ROM link)

[EDIT] Here's a hastily re-uploaded image:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Speaking of racing games, that jarred an old memory I have of a racing game for pc.

I don't know which year it would've come out in, but graphically it was made of primitive 3d polygons. You drove a (blue?) indy car, first person, on a circular track. You could make some specific adjustments to your indy car. Its method of piracy protection was asking you historical race car questions before you could start up a race.

I played the hell out of this on the computers at Middle School. They used the historical question requirement to try and keep us from playing without permission by keeping the sheet locked away (and eventually they threw it out). We got around it by quitting and restarting until we got the question that asked about a specific year, because it was the only question we had the answer memorized to.

We would drive in the wrong direction around the track to smash into the other cars to watch them blow up in all their polygonal glory, because that poo poo was impressive as hell back then.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Sage Grimm posted:

Was it D/Generation? Not turn based but was a puzzle game.

Oh lord, I played this as a kid. It was some halfway creepy poo poo for it's day when you were a little kid. :saddowns:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

UltraVariant posted:

Yes, thank you very much. I remember playing the poo poo out of it.

You might want to look into Chuck's Challenge then. I haven't played it, but it's apparently a game kickstarted by the guy who made the original Chip's Challenge (which I did play a ton as a kid).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The White Dragon posted:

Depends on your region. Are you in Europe or America? If you aren't in the EU, you didn't play Terranigma.

That's probably not strictly true. I live on the east coast of the US and played Terranigma. But that was only because one of my friends was that guy everyone had in their neighborhood that seemed to own every video game and system known to man growing up. At the time I had no idea that there were different games for different regions, just that he had all kinds of games I had never seen in the gaming magazines of the day. I'd love to know where he got all his imports back then.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There was a Nintendo fighting game that was in the same vein as River City Ransom and Double Dragon but ungodly awful. The game was pretty ugly, the controls were total rear end, and the only thing I remember specifically was you would go through this one door and be forced to fight an absolutely enormous, grotesquely obese woman that you just couldn't beat. She just kind of shuffled at you and when she got to you you just died. I'm serious in that she was enormous. She filled most of the screen.

Was it NES or SNES? It sort of sounds like my experience with Combatribes on the SNES, though people seem to love it.

Bad Street Brawler was on the NES and looked like crap too. I haven't played it, so I don't know if it has a fat woman boss.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BlondRobin posted:

There was an old MMO in the days of the big MMO rush, an RTS/FPSish MMO about mining on some distant asteroid or moon. You rode around on a hoverboard (I think?) and could order tanks, buildings, upgrades, gear et. al. from one of four corporations, once of which would be your sponsor. The main sort of gameplay was all about territory conflicts to mine more (special resource) and it went under pretty quickly because its balance was awful with no real goal except 'get more,' iirc, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. Google doesn't have anything on it, as it was too small and irrelevant, apparently.

Anyone remember?

Definitely 10Six. The main goal of it was to troll the poo poo out of anyone weaker than you with absurd bullshit builds. I actually remember it lasting a reasonably long time, a few years perhaps.

It was a confusing game full of weird edge cases and exploits. Fun if you got used to it though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

But Not Tonight posted:

This was a Starfox-like MMO, had a pretty decent goon presence a few years back. It had a few name changes but one of them had Air-something as one of the titles. Anyone remember this?

Ace Online had 3 types of plane and a tank you could play as, with Starfox-esque combat.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cerebulon posted:

For a lot of my childhood I used to play games/demos from the shareware/freeware disks off Mac magazines that my granny had been collecting for years, so this could be from anywhere between 1994 and 2001ish.
I think it was a demo for a full game but it could have also been a free Doom or Duke 3D mod or something as far as I know, but it was an FPS set in the US Capitol (It could have also been some government offices though, but I think I remember the Capitol being on the main menu or demo disk box) and I assume it had been taken over by terrorists? Things that stick out for me for some reason are that there were American flag stands all over the place (Either side of doors and stuff) that you could push around and that there was a bit where you walked near a big row of windows and there was a helicopter fly-by sound effect but no actual helicopter.

Probably the "Duke Nukem Duke it Out in DC" game.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The Joe Man posted:

Could you push around the flags though? I thought all the duke props were static. The only thing that comes to mind for me is the first level of Deus Ex within UNATCO headquarters, but it's probably too new.

I don't know, I didn't play the Duke 3D mission pack games. I just knew it existed, and since he said it might have been a Duke mod so I threw it out there.

There's an LP of it on Baldurk's site, so at least he's got video to look at.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

al-azad posted:

This is the first time I've seen it mentioned. It's certainly no Castle of the Winds, Return Fire, or *insert MECC game you played on an Apple II in school*.

But it is a hidden gem on the console and everyone should play it.

The only way I was ever aware of Ranger X was that somebody recently (I think the Two Best Friends?) did a video including it, fawning over how amazing it was for the time. It certainly looked unique, I had to give it that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

baram. posted:

top down shooter, probably mid 90s. it was a competitive online game set in space / the future with pixel/sprite graphics I think. I think it maybe had death match and capture the flag. the only weapons I really remember were different bright colored beam / plasma orb looking things.

Was it the one Sony released, that you used to be able to play on "The Station" back around the Planetside 1 era? Possibly Infantry Online, though that doesn't match the game in my head I was trying to think of.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mick Swagger posted:

There was an old hacking game for the PC that had similar basic game mechanics and aesthetics to 868-HACK but with the Uplink-like system of doing missions to earn money and buy hardware/software upgrades. Anyone have an idea?

Was it the Shadowrun inspired game "Decker"?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The older SNES Final Fantasies had something similar too, where a spell could only be reflected by Wall once and thus you could bounce a spell off your own party and hit a boss who had a Wall of their own up. FF2/4 had it for sure.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fans posted:

Old PC game back when Floppy Discs were a thing. A Cyberpunk... I think it was traffic cops? But you drove a tank and sometimes a helicpoter in a top down shooter. Main character was a woman who at one point gets blown up and brought back as a cyborg. The whole plot was delightfully pulpy.

Traffic Department 2192.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The first one is almost certain Odallus.