Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Open Sorcery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've got one for the thread:
It's an early-ish PSX game, from before '97-'98 or so. It's a strategy game with a fantasy setting. Not an SRPG though, more like Ogre Battle or Dragon Force IIRC, where your units wander around on the map and then enter a separate screen for combat. It was almost certainly real time. I can't remember if there was any sort of base building component to it, but I think you played as the leader of a mercenary company. Mostly, I remember whenever your units got caught in a surprise attack, they shouted "AMBUSH!"in extremely hammy VA.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat?
I can't find anything definitive, but I think this is it.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Was it Ogre Battle 64? Different console, but right around that time and matched your description.
It was definitely a PSX game, and it wasn't any version of Ogre Battle, which I've only played on SNES.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, at the very least I remember being able to play Warcraft 2 in both DOS and Windows. You could only run the level editor in Windows though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The funny part about those games is that the first one used to be titled "Holy Invasion of Privacy, Badman!" but they had to change it presumably because DC/WB threatened to sue.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Genpei Turtle posted:

It could be Animation Construction Set Movie Maker, which came out in 1985 and was very primitive. I don’t remember the hamburger face, but it sounds kind of on point as the software came with some weird stuff—one of the default movies was a Christmas scene where Santa goes down the chimney into a lit fireplace and burns to death.
:ohdearsass: :flame:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm trying to remember a game from the 90s or early 00s, console, probably an RPG, that had Kraken mis-translated as either "Clarken" or "Klarken".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There's a (relatively, compared to The Neverhood) new game out called Everhood or something like that and I get really confused when people talk about it because I keep thinking of this game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Everhood is really very good, if you like rhythm games! And the soundtrack is (unsurprisingly) baller as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNQ1FBh40TM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSj7OhJ1v2w
I'm sadly a white dude with no sense of rhythm so rhythm games are not exactly my cup of tea. I turned off the rhythm mode in the Cadence of Hyrule demo and still had problems with that game.

Dip Viscous posted:

Great, now I'm going to mix up Neverhood with Foreverhood AND Everhood.
Glad to be of service. :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm trying to remember the name of a game, NES-era though I can't remember if it originated there or was a port, about a family of adventurers. IIRC it was three "generations" of the same family, with grandparents, parents, and children all playable (simultaneously, it wasn't actually a generational game IIRC) and with different powers. I think it was a side-scrolling platformer game with maybe mild RPG or Zelda/Metroidvania elements.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, that looks like it, thanks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

wb posted:

well at least i helped someone <3
I downloaded the installer after finding out about it through you. Haven't done anything with it yet, but I'll mess around with it eventually.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Her Majesty's SPIFFING is a point-and-click game that does a lot of parody, and if you turn on the "American" VA option in the menus, you get... a laugh track.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Prodeus is a Steam FPS, but it came out this year so that can't be either game you're thinking of.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The natural extension of the Duck Hunt dog.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah pretty sure that's Sword of Mana.

Also I thought Waffleimages was dead?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The art style is also very similar to Seiken Densetsu 3, the second SNES Mana game. Or, y'know, Secret of Mana, the one everyone knows about.
I'll agree that Sword and Trials (as it's known in English nowadays) have a very similar artstyle, but Secret actually looks pretty different IMO:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xam dna Mas.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Asking this one on behalf of a friend:

quote:

anyone know a game from 90's (possibly a dos game) that involved boats possibly pirates going around a map like a boardgame
When I threw out the obvious "is it Sid Meier's Pirates" I got the answer:

quote:

i dont think it was
it was top down
and used ether cards or dice (or something) to move/attack
dont think it was "3d"

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Pulsarcat posted:

It wouldn't be Redhook's revenge would it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Aq868Sqmuk
Seems like this is the one! Thanks!

EDIT: It seems that Redhook's Revenge is not the game; it's apparently "super similar" but the game in question had "more bits" (better graphics).

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Another one from another friend:

quote:

it's a fighting game very polygonal like virtua or vipers but it came out on pc at the time I think some characters had weapons and it was lots of city scapes
It's not either One Must Fall game, it had human characters apparently.

EDIT: Never mind, it was Last Bronx.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 15, 2024