Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, it's been a while since I played but I don't remember feeling like their dynamic came out of nowhere. I will agree it's mostly on Hubert though.

edit: a shameful snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Quick question for you folks: I bought Symphonia when it was on sale, only to realize that it was a really cludgy port... I know there are third-party fixes and stuff, but would I be better off tinkering with the PC version, or just playing the gamecube release?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the fix is just one easy to install injection tool so if you already have it there's no reason not to try it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Alrighty cool- thanks! :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the fix does not fix all of symphonia's issues, so

like the pc port is perfectly playable but on a technical level it's still a much jankier experience than the gamecube version with a handful of bizarre bugs and a much lower framerate, none of the new content is really significant enough to be worth those small issues over just emulating i feel

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i would've advised against buying the port but they already have, so no reason not to at least see how they find it right

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i guess the hilariously wonky version of the presea scene is worth it

legitimately, it's something worth seeing once just to marvel at

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Apart from the typos and occasional mild slowdown I didn't have any technical issues with the PC version (just regular issues).

Unless pushing blocks went at a reasonable speed on the Gamecube and was somehow 10x slower on the ports?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
symphonia pc runs at 30fps instead of 60 so it is actually a little bit slower

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

that definitely always sucked

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There's an HD texture pack floating around for the GC version that you can apply with Dolphin, and honestly outside of losing the couple extra scenes the PC/PS3 version adds in it is a way better experience since you get the 60 FPS battles and an acceptable graphical upgrade.

You also don't have to deal with the PC port's jank.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Colonel posted:

symphonia pc runs at 30fps instead of 60 so it is actually a little bit slower

Isn't that because it's a port of the PS2 version which was ALSO 30?

And what's the Presea jank in the PC version?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chieves posted:

Isn't that because it's a port of the PS2 version which was ALSO 30?

And what's the Presea jank in the PC version?

it's a port of the ps3 version which is a largely unaltered port of the ps2 version, most of the bugs remaining in symphonia pc at this point are carried over from those two

the whole scene with presea and regal on top of the building later in the game has been bugged in all of those ports so their voice files are completely messed up, resulting in wonky stuff like presea randomly playing one of her sister's voice lines

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It kinda really sucks to not be able to just restart from any wipe in Graces and have to load your save. It feels like I have a choice between playing on Hard and steamrolling most of the game or Chaos/Evil and have enemies not melt instantly but get my poo poo ruined by spell casters.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I never played Legendia and so I thought Genis' kendama was the weirdest weapon in the series, but does Norma actually use a bubble blower.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

It kinda really sucks to not be able to just restart from any wipe in Graces and have to load your save. It feels like I have a choice between playing on Hard and steamrolling most of the game or Chaos/Evil and have enemies not melt instantly but get my poo poo ruined by spell casters.

Honestly I think my favorite part of berseria was finally getting to absolutely destroy spellcasters as Magilou.

It was nice to be able to turn the tables on them for once in a tales game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I never played Legendia and so I thought Genis' kendama was the weirdest weapon in the series, but does Norma actually use a bubble blower.
yea

its probably the weirdest weapon besides the weird chain bell knives one of the innocence boss squad uses, but she isnt playable so

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm reaching the end of Zestiria (I think) and the music in this game is very good. The elemental shrine themes are all great and the vocal themes that kicked in for the Tiamat fight at Glaivend Basin and the subsequent night time talk came out of nowhere and had me immediately looking them up on the OST.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

spoilers, they're all on disc 3 of the ost

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I broke down and bought a used copy of Abyss for the 3ds. I don’t dare hope the deeply buried sidequests are any less annoying but any chance the overworld is less laggy?

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I finished Zestiria with my wife. Camera issues continued all the way into the final boss with the camera pulled so far back we couldn't hear any jabber from the characters. They really did not test two player camera at all.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HellOnEarth posted:

I broke down and bought a used copy of Abyss for the 3ds. I don’t dare hope the deeply buried sidequests are any less annoying but any chance the overworld is less laggy?

The 3DS version is a constant 30 FPS in all circumstances. So while yes the overworld and the overworld dungeons are no longer unbearable laggy messes, the battle FPS has been halved from 60 to 30.

e. The load times are infinitely better on the 3DS as well.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m currently playing through Zesteria and I haven’t had too many problems with the camera. Combat is pretty good overall imo

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

You are very lucky.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The beginning of Zesteria is all big open fields and such anyway from what i remember. I think your tone will change when you get into a battle in any narrow rear end hallway.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I appreciate that they tried to have battles occur on the field where you are, but it did lead to a lot of copy pasting of corridors and rooms in dungeons. The variable framerate with different distances is pretty noticeable though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Shame Boy posted:

The beginning of Zesteria is all big open fields and such anyway from what i remember. I think your tone will change when you get into a battle in any narrow rear end hallway.

I think I stopped playing after a dungeon with narrow-rear end hallways and spawns with 3 or more casters.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I did have a bit of a hard time in the fire shrine. Got stuck somehow between one of those silver flame lamps and the door and I just got wailed on by those fire wolves. Super annoying but i was able to dig it out somehow.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Playing Abyss for the first time since it came out when I was 18. I certainly like Jade a lot more now, now that I’m almost the same age as him. I’m also a lot less annoyed by (early game) Luke, I’m more in the mindset of “goddamn kid your parents really let you down huh” because him not knowing like, the most basic part of the setting is like a second grader not what gravity is. Plausible but also kind of alarming.

Like drat there was a complete lack of actual effort put into this kid for the last seven years, nobody explained how a store worked?

No wonder he falls for Van’s bullshit, he’s the only one who actually seems to take an interest in teaching this kid anything.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Remember that Luke is still a rich kid, him not knowing that sort of thing is only slightly worse than the norm.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It honestly comes across as insanely neglectful iirc in the context that Ion is a two year old replica of a now-fifteen year old, so while the whole “he’s actually seven” is a good excuse for how emotionally stunted and sheltered he is they also didn’t try very hard, unless I’m remembering something wrong.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Last Celebration posted:

It honestly comes across as insanely neglectful iirc in the context that Ion is a two year old replica of a now-fifteen year old, so while the whole “he’s actually seven” is a good excuse for how emotionally stunted and sheltered he is they also didn’t try very hard, unless I’m remembering something wrong.

His parents saw that it would take effort to get him functioning and why waste effort on a kid who you are already slotting to be sacrificed?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Last Celebration posted:

"He's actually seven" always struck me as a weird way to look at it since your mental age isn't just a function of how many years of memories you have.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hunt11 posted:

His parents saw that it would take effort to get him functioning and why waste effort on a kid who you are already slotting to be sacrificed?

Yeah it's this, although the explicit confirmation is - in true Abyss fashion - gated behind an obscure sidequest, specifically the one surrounding Guy's family sword. Duke Fabre knew the score about Asch/Luke's role at Akzeriuth presumably since Asch was born, and so was intentionally cold and distant because he didn't want to get close to a son he knew was ultimately going to die. His mom was nicer but she's also bedridden half the time from illness and so couldn't really take an active role in raising her kid. Luke and Asch were effectively raised by Guy, who hated Asch because he was the son of his sworn enemy and didn't warm up to Luke for what is implied to be a couple years. It's actually kind of a surprise Luke isn't even more of a mess.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Zesteria was tolerable for me, but I used Cheat Engine liberally to cut down on the grind and mostly avoided random encounters except for a few grind spots where I would multiply xp gains by 10-15 or so to catch back up to the point where my part would stop freaking out about how tough the monsters were.

Of course, since my equipment was up to par, the monsters that my party freaked out about were obliterated before they could finish freaking out about them, so it was somewhat amusing.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i ended up dropping the difficulty to easy for the final boss in zestiria because that gimmick where you have to damage it enough before you got instakilled was clunky and sucked. i enjoyed the rest of the game though.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Clarste posted:

"He's actually seven" always struck me as a weird way to look at it since your mental age isn't just a function of how many years of memories you have.

Same tbh, but that’s the way the game puts it so :shrug:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Clarste posted:

Stuff like this is always going to be weird since it's not something that can happen in real life, so I tend to at least try and see where the writers are coming from. I think they're not so much saying Luke is mentally a seven year old, but that he has only gotten seven years to experience things. Even if he's mentally 18, he's only got seven years of learning the ways of the world.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I'm working through the DLC for Zestiria and what seems to be the final stretch of the last dungeon. The enemies have suddenly become giant HP sponges 10+ levels over my party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Last Celebration posted:

In addition to what everyone said, they probably made Ion with basic functionality (walking, talking, etc) so he could fill the role of Fon Master soon after creation. Without the neuroplasticity of an infant brain those probably took a few years for Luke.