Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is there something wrong with the wiki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've finally gotten around to fixing my 360.
What do I need to know about NIER?

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Inzombiac posted:

You'll want to play through at least the second ending, and follow this flowchart when it comes to sidequests.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well thank god for that. I am a huge nerd for hundred percenting games even if it nets me no rewards.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Get all 4 endings on your own, with minimal guide help. It was probably the most amazing gaming experience of my life.

You can back up your save on a memory card before the "final choice", but watching the resulting sequence will probably just encourage you to delete it anyways to complete the experience.

Also the fishing directions in the game are poo poo, find a youtube video that shows how to do it right.

Don't bother with planting anything or finding rare items unless you want to max out your favorite weapon.

Inzombiac posted:

Well thank god for that. I am a huge nerd for hundred percenting games even if it nets me no rewards.

Don't ever try to 100% a Cavia game, they take special pleasure in making it nigh-impossible or tedious.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Apocron posted:

Is there something wrong with the wiki?

Are you asking because it was down?

Usually the problem is only temporary. It's working for me right now.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anyone have tips for Defiance? Which classes/weapons/etc. are crap and which are fun? Does the game have a storyline? If so, can I go through it any time I want or will I have to grind between story beats? I don't really know what to expect outside of it being a third-person shooter MMO.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I've read the wiki entry, but does anyone have anything else to add for Xenoblade Chronicles?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

owl_pellet posted:

Anyone have tips for Defiance? Which classes/weapons/etc. are crap and which are fun? Does the game have a storyline? If so, can I go through it any time I want or will I have to grind between story beats? I don't really know what to expect outside of it being a third-person shooter MMO.

The only difference between "classes" is your starting outfit, so you can use any weapon you want. Besides the alien technology weapons (Infectors, Beam Guns), every weapon family is serviceable. Assault Rifles and SMGs are good allrounders and pistols and sniper rifles are good for getting critical hits. Rocket and grenade launchers were generally a bit meh, last time I played.

As for skills, respeccing is pretty cheap. You can only have one active skill and a number of passive perks equipped at the same time. I prefer Decoy or Overload for active skills. (Don't pick Overload as your starting skill if you enter the promo Ark Hunter codes!) As for perks, Preparedness (reloads your holstered weapon automatically) and Regeneration (Regenerates health and sometimes regenerates you out of "dying" status) are pretty good.

There is a storyline and you do not need to grind to beat it. Defiance is not really a game where levels make much of a difference, because you can only equip so many skills at a time and leveling does not increase your health. (Also, higher level weapons are not that much better than your starting stuff.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theshim posted:

I've read the wiki entry, but does anyone have anything else to add for Xenoblade Chronicles?

Take the time to get the portable gem furnace, it saves a lot of back-and-forth'ing. If you want a really good easy pairing for gem crafting; stick Reyn in the first spot and Shulk in the second (can't remember the actual naming terms of the top of my head). Their relationship will max out pretty drat fast and that affects the gem creation quality quite a bit. Gem crafting itself is moderately simple - pick your cylinders, get something over 100 and you get a gem of that (200 gets you a gem a grade higher), anything else makes a fresh cylinder.

Oh and take the time to do some sidequesting, the game balances itself on the assumption you have. You don't have to do every last sidequest in every area, just do some as you go along. The story gives you a few spots where it's fairly blatant in saying "plot's taking a breather, go knock out some sidequests now if you like".

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

theshim posted:

You see the Nier flowchart for sidequests? Do the same for Xenoblade. Don't sperg out doing all of them because you will burn yourself out. Just knock off kill X monster quests and other things that happen to be along the way to the next town / area.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno if that's particularly good advice, as some particularly annoying sidequests are also the ones that reward you with a new skill path or whatever they're called for your characters. Besides, Xenoblade is all about the sidequests, it's practically MMO-like in that way. Some of the best content in the game is in them, in my personal opinion. You don't need to sperg out on doing EVERY one, but try to do as many as you can handle, and keep the points of no return in mind. They're pretty clear and give you a dialog option to the effect of ARE YOU SURE YO?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Just grab every quest that you can see whenever you pass through a town or NPC area and forget about them, quests auto-complete in Xenoblade so it's not like you have to remember who gave you each quest (and even then, that person will have another quest marker above them if you need to speak with them). I haven't gotten into talking to everyone at all the different hours of the day so I can't speak to how painful that is (probably pretty painful)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Best advice for Metal Gear Solid 4 I can give to anyone is to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzu65wftWno

It's a video CQC tutorial. There's a lot of neat things you can do with CQC that aren't immediately obvious. You could do all of that in multiplayer as well, though sadly they canned it.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno if that's particularly good advice, as some particularly annoying sidequests are also the ones that reward you with a new skill path or whatever they're called for your characters.

It's easy to tell which quests these are because the quest giver will display the mark for a quest but will only offer the quest if the appropriate character is in the lead.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno if that's particularly good advice, as some particularly annoying sidequests are also the ones that reward you with a new skill path or whatever they're called for your characters. Besides, Xenoblade is all about the sidequests, it's practically MMO-like in that way. Some of the best content in the game is in them, in my personal opinion. You don't need to sperg out on doing EVERY one, but try to do as many as you can handle, and keep the points of no return in mind. They're pretty clear and give you a dialog option to the effect of ARE YOU SURE YO?

Just to clarify; There are all of (maybe) three points of no return, and they're all for relatively small areas that are very obviously event-driven dungeons. You can freely backtrack about 95% of the places you visit in the game via the world map in the menu (the quick-travel map button only gives you locations for the area you're currently in).

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Got myself a PS3 and catching up on all the classics-- anything I should know about Valkyria Chronicles before I jump in? :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doflamingo posted:

Got myself a PS3 and catching up on all the classics-- anything I should know about Valkyria Chronicles before I jump in? :)

Scouts are insanely abusable. Buff one up with the single-unit attack buff Order and they can kill most tank types if they have a clear shot at the engine grill on the back. Try to save some gold aside to keep an eye out for if the guy at the cemetery is in a teaching mood. Also Vyse and Aika should never leave your squad. Partly because they're both great units, and mostly because it's goddamn Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia :allears:.

edit: Oh and at some point around the halfway (I think) point through the game, you'll be able to purchase some side-chapters. Do them. They'll give the character they're centered around an extra Perk for completing them.

:byodood:VEG-TA-BLES!.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 6, 2013

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
As this is the closest thread I can find to the topic...

If I liked Space Empires IV as a poor man's Master of Orion, should I try V? The mention of real time battles troubled me, is it just a realtime animation (which is pointless considering the series, but acceptable) or is it like a mini RTS?

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Project1 posted:

If I liked Space Empires IV as a poor man's Master of Orion, should I try V? The mention of real time battles troubled me, is it just a realtime animation (which is pointless considering the series, but acceptable) or is it like a mini RTS?
Mini-RTS. You can Pause as much as you want to micromanage, and use time dilation/compression depending on the scale of the battle. You'll get reasonable results by simply unpausing. By default, ships will choose a target, approach to their optimum firing range, and let loose. In larger battles (or when using specialized ship designs) you may want to manage things more carefully (e.g. ordering fighter wings to stay away from point defenses). IIRC the auto-battle behaviour can be tweaked in the Ship Design window, allowing you to setup missile boats with kiting behaviour. There are also special components (such as boarding teams and self-destruct systems) which *must* be micromanaged in order to be effective. All of the normal weapons are omnidirectional (no "firing arcs") which reduces depth a bit, but also allows the auto-battle AI to function well (since it doesn't have to perform complex maneuvers in order to bring all of its guns to bear).

It differs quite a bit from the MOO combat experience, but I found it to be enjoyable. One nice thing about SE5 combat is that "chase actions" actually exist - instead of ships simply hitting "Retreat" and then vanishing into hyperspace, they need to actually reach the boundary of the combat area. Thus, a fleet of heavy battleships will have great difficulty in forcing an inferior enemy force to commit to battle, but a mixed fleet with fighter support (and/or fast pickets with immobilization weapons) can catch up to retreating ships and inflict damage on them.

There's also a "Strategic" battle mode, where you just view a zoomed-out radar map of the battle with heavy time compression. It's pretty similar to Auto-Resolution. The "Tactical" mode is typically used when:
  • you *want* to view a battle close-up and micromanage a bit (for fun)
  • you've put a lot of effort into researching and deploying a new kickass ship design, and now you want to see it PEW PEW some bug-eyed aliens
  • you've reached a difficult/important battle and you don't want to leave anything to chance
  • the enemy has deployed a new ship type which is causing a lot of damage to your fleets; you need to see it in action so that you can develop countermeasures

The main problem/risk/challenge that I found in SE5 was tech levels. If you out-research your opponents too much then fun tends to diminish. At high difficulty, the AI will resource-cheat and build dozens of ships each turn, but if your ships have {quantum reactors | organic self-healing armour | AI crews | armor-bypassing temporal warheads | etc} then they're basically unkillable, and the fights become more "tedium" than "strategy". The endgame challenge is more about stellar engineering than conquest. The early- and mid-game experience is still pretty fun, but you might find yourself abandoning a game (and starting a new one) whenever you begin to outclass your enemies.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Anything for Shadowrun Returns yet?

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

CaptainPsyko posted:

A few things come to mind:

1. Unless you're playing on "very hard" mode, you don't need to worry too much about min/maxing your main guy. Want to specialize in 2 different guns? Have fun. Want to be a mage with a shotgun? Go for it. The racial caps are pretty generous, so unless you're min/maxing all races can do pretty much anything. Melee seems underpowered early on, but it catches up to guns pretty quickly. Just do what you feel like.
2. Charisma is pretty much useless for conversations. It adds small amounts of money, but that's it. It is useful if you want to make a shamen type character, though.
3. Decking is mostly optional, since you can hire a decker whenever you need one. If you do use your main for decking, don't bother taking the skill above 6.
4. I found the hard difficulty to be pretty enjoyable, but I'm not very experienced with turn based tactical RPGs. YMMV.
5. You can only buy equipment/spells/cyberware for your main guy, but usable stuff (i.e. medkits) can be distributed to party members before a mission... after which they will steal any unused items. Doing this should be pretty much unnecessary for most of the game as long as you take along someone with the heal spell.

ScratchAndSniff fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 7, 2013

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

pentyne posted:

Get all 4 endings on your own, with minimal guide help. It was probably the most amazing gaming experience of my life.

Disagreeing with this. Definitely play through the A and B endings, but as far as I can tell there's no differences on the playthroughs for C and D, and the requirements to unlock them (get all 30 weapons) are stupid. They're definitely worth seeing, but unless you really want to play through the second half of Nier two more times, you might as well youtube them.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CaptainPsyko posted:

If you're like me and tend to get overwhelmed by choice in games, the skill tree looks daunting at first, but is actually not bad at all once you realize that only a small part of it is going to be relevant for your character. Basically just pick an archetype from the selection screen, look at the skills that have been pre-invested in, and say to yourself "oh, I get it now" and focus mainly on those parts of it, branching out when you feel like you might need to (for hit points, or if you want to try casting spells or whatever). If you're feeling extra finicky, pick a race that has a high cap on the skills you're interested in, but, like in most games, you can't go terribly wrong with Human for a first time, I don't think.

(this might be bad advice on higher difficulties, but on normal, investing in only the quickness and gun skills seems to be working for my street samurai just fine)

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Since I saw nothing for Deadpool here, I decided to make a few:

1) If you're looking for an introduction to the character, the setting or the general writing style, this probably won't be for you. For a good primer, look up 'Wade Wilson's War' or 'Deadpool Classic' trades to get used to the character. If you like him, dive right in. If not, save the cash.

2) Learn how to mix your playstyle. Don't stick exclusively with guns or melee, as the game usually forces scenarios onto you demanding one or the other. Melee exclusives will get shredded by cover fire that keeps them from regenerating and shooters will be flanked constantly, which keeps you from shooting. So mix it up.

3) Only get enough kills with the sai to unlock it's expanded move set. Don't boost the damage. The game's combo system works on how many hits you get and how many kills you get, with a certain number of points attributed to each type of enemy per kill. The Hammers give a bonus +50% to kill points when upgraded, while the other weapons only give +20% at max. So, for large combo gains, max out your hammers, thin out the enemies until one or two remain, then use the sai to rack up a large combo (x150 is fairly easy to achieve) for extra points. If you max out your sai, then it kills off the enemies before your combo can build.

4) In this regard, treat the SMG the same as the sai. Never boost its attack power. You can boost its other attributes, but keep the damage low to rack up combo points, then use another weapon for the kill for more kill points.

5) When given the prompt 'Press A to 'Who the f**K is Cable?!'', you had better press A.

6) Your teleport on default sends you in the direction you are facing, but it can be aimed by using the left stick to a point relative to the camera (So if Deadpool is facing left, and you press up+b, he will warp to his right, which is up on your screen), even in the middle of a combo. So if you are fighting an enemy with a long straight attack, a wide area attack or if you want to warp into a crowd before using one of your momentum attacks, the teleport is great. It also has a half second of total invulnerability, which helps out with enemies with powerful attacks.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 7, 2013

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scouts are insanely abusable. Buff one up with the single-unit attack buff Order and they can kill most tank types if they have a clear shot at the engine grill on the back. Try to save some gold aside to keep an eye out for if the guy at the cemetery is in a teaching mood. Also Vyse and Aika should never leave your squad. Partly because they're both great units, and mostly because it's goddamn Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia :allears:.

edit: Oh and at some point around the halfway (I think) point through the game, you'll be able to purchase some side-chapters. Do them. They'll give the character they're centered around an extra Perk for completing them.

:byodood:VEG-TA-BLES!.

It's worth pointing out that cemetery guy takes EXP, not gold, and the "Squad 7's R&R" side mission doesn't net you anything except an empty wallet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

It's worth pointing out that cemetery guy takes EXP, not gold, and the "Squad 7's R&R" side mission doesn't net you anything except an empty wallet.

Agh, he does too :doh:.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Okay, so I'm just heading into the first dungeon of Xenoblade Chronicles and I don't understand most of the aspects of this combat system. Is playing as Reyn, drawing a bunch of aggro, and letting the AI handle actually doing the brunt of the damage like Shulk's been very competent at so far going to bite me in the rear end later?

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 7, 2013

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

alcharagia posted:

Okay, so I'm just heading into the first dungeon of Xenoblade Chronicles and I don't understand most of the aspects of this combat system. Is playing as Reyn, drawing a bunch of aggro, and letting the AI handle actually doing the brunt of the damage like Shulk's been very competent at so far going to bite me in the rear end later?

You can play as any of the characters you like, really. The only character that the AI is bad at playing is the mage girl you will get later.

e: Also, you're going to want ways to either automatically topple/daze or have a break-topple-daze combo in your party.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Any tips for Hitman:Absolution? I've only ever played Hitman 2 way back on the PS2.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hitman: Absolution

I think the first mission does a good job explaining all the gameplay options you have. Don't be afraid to play through it more than once.

- Guards are not psychic like in the early Hitman games. They'll alert nearby guards quickly, but it'll take time for them to radio others.
- If guards find a body they won't go back to their regular routine. If they find a pool of blood however (from a fatal gunshot or a messy melee kill, but having hid the body) they will be cautious, but only temporary.
- When reloading/reverting to a Useable Checkpoint guards will often be reset (even if you killed them before) and previous Challenge progress will be ignored.
- Meleeing someone while on stairs will results in you KOing them without a QTE prompt but with the noise that punching someone normally does.
- Radios are really effective at luring guard after guard somewhere and then taking them out. Keep in mind that you might instantly lure another guard if you don't let the previous guard turn the radio off.
- You can use multiple throwables or a single throwable multiple times to lure a guard far away from others.
- Turn of Instincts Hints in the options. They are usually pretty redundant and just get in the way.
- Instead of blowing through the story I recommend playing a level multiple times before moving on. Just improvise the first two times and then try a very stealthy or super aggressive approach. Or try your hand at some of the challenges. I think that makes the game much more fulfilling.
- All the weapons in the safehouse can only be used in Contracts mode. This also applies to the DLC/pre-order guns and costumes.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 7, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
For Hitman: Absolution. Just a few obscure mechanics that I feel most players missed.

-As you progress through the game, 47 actually gets better 'stats'. Basically at the start of the game, you kind of suck overall, but by the end you do everything faster and better. These unlocks are persistent throughout the game so if you unlock them on Hard they are usable on any difficulty. This means that even though you may be tempted to jump in to the hardest difficulty, I feel like the game is designed to be played on Hard, then Expert, then Purist. Expert adds tons of new guards everywhere that make it pretty difficult to play without upgrades. I think there was a lot of confusion regarding this and turned a lot of people off to the game.

-Using instinct while is kinda like turning on invisibility, because it's important to note that it only works if they haven't already started being suspicious of you, or even started glancing your way really.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Spalec posted:

Any tips for Hitman:Absolution? I've only ever played Hitman 2 way back on the PS2.

In addition to what others have said.

- You lose some points for knocking out civilians. But you gain an equal amount of points when you hide their unconscious bodies, so it is score neutral.

- Do not just move behind cover when sneaking. Use the cover system to "stick" to it. Often enough enemies can see you crouched behind cover but not when you are "sticking" to it.

- Don't feel bad about just shooting your way out of stuff, if you screw up sneaking.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'd like some general tips for Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (and just Dark Athena, I've played Escape From Butcher Bay before).

Also, what's a good place to store loot early on in Fallout: New Vegas? I've yet to start playing it, but I suspect the Megaton apartment in Fallout 3 spoiled me in that aspect.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mierenneuker posted:

Also, what's a good place to store loot early on in Fallout: New Vegas? I've yet to start playing it, but I suspect the Megaton apartment in Fallout 3 spoiled me in that aspect.

Most likely, the first 'apartment' you find will be in Novac. You'll be given a VIP suite for free as part of the main quest, but I hardly ever use it, you can't go to it directly.

If you just drop something on the ground in Goodsprings, it will probably still be there days later.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Just put all your stuff in any given container in Goodsprings, like the dumpster next to the general store.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Mierenneuker posted:

Or just sell it all. New Vegas actually has some stuff to spend caps on beyond ammo and stimpacks!

bokealoke
Nov 10, 2009
I am going to start playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution here soon and would just like to know what to expect. Is it anything like the original Deus Ex or Invisible War? Any particular way I should build my character? Since I have played the first two would it be wise to go ahead and just start on the most difficult setting? And the most important question of all, is sneaking just as broken as it was in the previous two games?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

bokealoke posted:

I am going to start playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution here soon and would just like to know what to expect. Is it anything like the original Deus Ex or Invisible War? Any particular way I should build my character? Since I have played the first two would it be wise to go ahead and just start on the most difficult setting? And the most important question of all, is sneaking just as broken as it was in the previous two games?

It's *more* like the second game than the first but it's kind of its own thing. Sneaking is optimal play and it kind of works like an MGS game or something in that respect. You just need to make sure you grab Typhoon for the boss fights. And yeah it's totally fine to start on the hardest difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It's not a bad idea to pick the perks that let you access new areas early on (wall punching, high-jumping, long-falling, heavy object moving, and so on). Getting hacking (or whatever it's called) up to level 3 earlyish isn't a bad idea either, since computers start becoming higher level after the prologue, and level 3 will let you in to most of them.

The perks that enhance your maximum energy capacity aren't terrifically useful, because your energy will never recharge on its own beyond the first level of battery. So even if you have 5 batteries of energy, to recharge the last 4, you'll need to use consumables. You might as well just leave the maximum low if you're going to have to constantly be using consumables to recharge it, I figure.

A pistol with the silencer and laser sight will probably be your most useful weapon throughout the game. You can find a silencer in the first hub area of Detroit that you enter at a secret vendor. It's a little hard to find, here's a youtube video showing you how to get to him. Or you can play it straight and muddle around without a silencer and see what it's like, it's your call.

There's absolutely no reason to perform melee kills (apart from them looking cool). Non-lethal takedowns are silent and, I believe, reward more xp points. Lethal takedowns make noise and give you no particular benefit, don't bother with them if you're trying to play optimally.