Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'd like some pointers for the RTS section of Dragon Commander, because for srome reason I seem to be doing worse than my NPC generals when doing combat. And I don't want to switch down to Easy or just delegate everything to the risk map. (Because I want to be a flying dragon with a jetpack, dammit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm thinking about picking up Monster Hunter for my 3DS. Anything I should know?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone have anything for the Knights of Pen and Paper +1? I keep getting stuck and having to grind monsters forever. :(

Knights of Pen and Paper +1

Your first playthrough will garaunteeably hit a brick wall because a) you have no clue what you're doing and b) you have to unlock all the classes and c) you'll be burning cash on gameroom items. However, gold, game room items, classes, and players carry over between games.

Stun is god. You should always have a thief and a mage in your party because they both have stun attacks. There is a game room item that adds an additional turn to all status effects letting you stunlock up to 4 monsters at once.

On your first playthrough try to buy as much of the game room items as possible. +% XP and 1hp/mp regen are completely worthless and should be avoided. Take the items that bolster your offense or improve gold collection if you really want more cash.

The table top items can all be active simultaneously so you should be bee-lining for those.

You are ready to begin your second playthrough once you've unlocked the barbarian and bard and ranger, have at least all the table top items, have unlocked the developers as playable characters, and have about 500-600 gold.

When you start your second playthrough for easy mode (and the ability to beat Mom), you'll want Barbarian, Bard, Thief, Wizard, Ranger. Additionally, you'll want to match the players to these needs so increased aggro on barbarian etc. This whirling pile of death provides maximum DPS, solid healing especially on your tank, and 4 enemies being stunlocked a turn letting you easily fight 7 stronger foes without worry.

If you need cash do dungeons. They spew money and items.

Don't start crafting any items until you've leveled up the blacksmith an appreciable amount and have the table-top item which improves all die rolls by +1. If you really hold off you can buy lucky braclets (+5% crit rate, +1 to all rolls) until you have a 100% chance of success. Craft all your items, take them off and put better gear on, get killing.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 11, 2013

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Anything for Risen aside from what's on the Wiki?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Barudak posted:

Knights of Pen and Paper +1

Your first playthrough will garaunteeably hit a brick wall because a) you have no clue what you're doing and b) you have to unlock all the classes and c) you'll be burning cash on gameroom items. However, gold, game room items, classes, and players carry over between games.

Stun is god. You should always have a thief and a mage in your party because they both have stun attacks. There is a game room item that adds an additional turn to all status effects letting you stunlock up to 4 monsters at once.

On your first playthrough try to buy as much of the game room items as possible. +% XP and 1hp/mp regen are completely worthless and should be avoided. Take the items that bolster your offense or improve gold collection if you really want more cash.

The table top items can all be active simultaneously so you should be bee-lining for those.

You are ready to begin your second playthrough once you've unlocked the barbarian and bard and ranger, have at least all the table top items, have unlocked the developers as playable characters, and have about 500-600 gold.

When you start your second playthrough for easy mode (and the ability to beat Mom), you'll want Barbarian, Bard, Thief, Wizard, Ranger. Additionally, you'll want to match the players to these needs so increased aggro on barbarian etc. This whirling pile of death provides maximum DPS, solid healing especially on your tank, and 4 enemies being stunlocked a turn letting you easily fight 7 stronger foes without worry.

If you need cash do dungeons. They spew money and items.

Don't start crafting any items until you've leveled up the blacksmith an appreciable amount and have the table-top item which improves all die rolls by +1. If you really hold off you can buy lucky braclets (+5% crit rate, +1 to all rolls) until you have a 100% chance of success. Craft all your items, take them off and put better gear on, get killing.

Much appreciated! I was wasting money on xp items. :3

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Monster Hunter for my 3DS. Anything I should know?

The game starts with a fairly long tutorial of very basic stuff, stick with it.

There is a lot of important information that gets mentioned once or twice in passing text-boxes.

Armour Skills are very important. Any piece of armour gives skill points which do nothing until you have enough points to activate a skill. So, 7 points of "Attack up" does nothing, 10 points gives the skill "Attack up small". You don't have to keep track of this yourself, the Status and Equipment menu display all of your skills and skill points.

Don't dive straight into online/port quests, do the village until you know what you are doing, otherwise you will be annoying people by wiping like an idiot.

Use a wide variety of weapons. They all work differently, feel different and are better or worse against different monsters.

If you Abandon Quest, you lose nothing and go back to how you started. You can use this to learn a monster's patterns for free.

There are a few big walls in the game, if you get stuck, try mixing it up.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.
As I'm kind of addicted to this game, I am now obligated to tell you all about Naval Ops: Warship Gunners 2, one of the most underrated games of the Playstation 2. Its a very cool naval combat game made by Koei (the fine folks behind Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Warriors Orochi, Hokuto No Ken: Ken's Rage and many Romance of the Three Kingdoms titles). You control one ship, customize its weaponry, engines, systems, flag and perform brave deeds against the vastly superior forces of the Empire.

The plot takes place in an alternate universe where whats now coastal China was conquered and settled by the Dutch who formed the Kingdom of Wilkia. You start in a training exercise gone awry, go back to base, discover a coup d'etat has taken place and are in charge of securing the exile of the Royal family. The fleet escapes to Japan, a friendly country, where your fleet is detained and your crew interned. With the help of a brave Japanese officer, you manage to escape in a much lesser ship than the one you arrived with the newly created Empire of Wilkia hot on your tails. As you flee to the United States for succor, strange reports of ships larger than anything designed anywhere else in the world are heard.

You should play this game if you like combat against overwhelming odds, have a set of stones the size of a ship boiler, post or read the TFR Air Power thread and/or Zack Parsons' "My Tank is Fight". Some of the weapon designs in this game would have given Nazi Germany a bad case of priapism. The difficulty curve is nice and not abusive but the game will take the kids' gloves halfway through the game.

You should avoid this game if you are a simulation sperg who cannot appreciate mounting a 100cm main gun on a cruiser or using bow thrusters to swing around a battleship and give it a torpedo broadside. Also, gently caress you.

The game revolves about naval combat. You are sent on a mission against vastly superior forces. You are assigned a main objective, which can be to sink a number of enemy ships or prevent an enemy task force from shelling a vital port. There are secondary objectives like sinking all aircraft carriers, battleships or ensuring certain enemies do not escape. You play in third person view but can zoom the camera a little. As you sink enemy ships, they can drop health refills, ammo refills, parts for your ship, extra repair crews or extra money. Also, part of the enemy crew will be left in life rafts and you get extra points for rescuing them. Once the mission is complete, you will be assigned a grade depending on how many ships you destroyed, how many rafts you rescued, how many objectives were met. Score highly enough and you'll get extra swag once the game enumerates the gear you picked up in the mission. Afterwards, you will go to port where you can design/modify your ships and research new tech. R&D is big part of the game, you can research improvements for engines, hulls, systems (accessories like Radar, Sonar, Fire Extinguishers, etc), aircraft (yes, you can play an aircraft carrier or just a small heliport for VTOL and choppers), weapons (BFguns, dril missiles, 80cm rockets, supersonic torpedos, nuclear mines and 406mm Gatling cannons, are among the few) and many others. This takes money which is gained both by picking it up during the battle and at the end of the mission. There is some tech that you won't be able to find/research until your next playthrough like lasers and such.

There are many play styles, you can play as destroyers, cruisers, submarines, aircraft carriers, battleships, battlecarriers, frigates and some unique ships. You can play in many ways, brawling and exchanging cannon fire with the enemy or dashing around the slower ships, showing them you care with torpedos, rockets and mines. If you prefer to pretend you are in Das Boot, you can play a submarine too.

What you should know about this game: there is a lot of stupid advice in the gamefaqs page about this game so I'll cherry pick it for you.

-Many guides were written with the moronic assumption that someone who is just starting the game has access to all the game breaking equipment that you can find later in the game.

-Engines are the most important thing you can research at the beginning, followed by propellers. Speed is life and a properly speedy destroyer can get you through half the game. Try to keep destroyers, cruisers and frigates above 30 knots as anything slower will get your rear end sunk to hang out with Poseidon and Amphitrite. Bigger ships can be uparmored to take hits better but still, try to design them to be fast.

-You don't have to research every variant of every hull. Most hulls have 3 to 4 variants (US Destroyer 1, UK Destroyer 1, Ger Destroyer 1 and Jpn Destroyer 1). They vary in the layout, hull weight (dead weight), hull capacity (how much crap you can put in the hull), endurance (no idea what this does, you don't manage fuel on this game) and the number of aircraft you can carry. Generally, hulls with bigger capacity are better because you can mount bigger guns but some higher tier hulls have a smaller surface to mount guns at.

-Armor is important but don't sacrifice guns or speed to carry it. Some of the later missions will make you realize that, yes even swarms of obsolete aircraft can give you the death of a thousand cuts, regardless of your armor.

-Make sure you do training missions to farm money, moolah, cash, dinero. You cannot pimp out your ship without money. You cannot research without money.

-The game starts easy enough but stops giving a gently caress about fairness or balance when you reach Gibraltar. This is probably where you'll be sunk for the first time. The mission will separate men of the sea from kiddies riding tyre tubes doing a sewage channel. Sure your ship is pretty strong but when the enemy has 30+ stronger ships, you'll understand why men like Horatio Nelson and Heihachiro Togo are considered masters of the sea. Naval combat is more than just bring the biggest guns and pointing them at your enemy. Feinting, enfilading and dividing your enemies becomes more important. There are missions where you WILL die if you do not use your brain. Read about the battles of Tsushima, Trafalgar. Maybe Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy or Shout at the Devil by Wilbur Smith for inspiration.

-Research makes or breaks the game. Keeping a technological lead will help balance out the fact that the enemy outnumbers you. Eventually the enemy will start catching up and boy will you scream. Don't spread the research too much until you reach the limits of what you can research (tech in this game unlocks both by time and enemy drops). Engines, Hulls and Guns first. Once you start encountering carriers, you will need to research AA missiles and a decent radar.

-Not every mission can be played by submarines so keep a decent ship in case the game decides to not let you use your sub.

-Autofire is adequate at the beginning and completely useless after half of the game. Once the enemy starts fielding antiship missiles and jet aircraft, you will want to intercept some of them manually.

-The AEGIS system applies to most missiles and torpedos. It allows you to lock on to as many as 10 targets of the same type and fire at them simultaneously. This is imperative to use when you have swarms of ships and planes around you.

-Some guides warn against trying to make ships all purpose but I think they are foolish. If you could coop multiplayer, sure, let someone else handle part of the combat but given that you go on missions ALONE, you drat better be capable of handling everything the game throws at you.

-You and every fan of this game must write to KOEI and ask them why they haven't released a PS3 or PS4 version.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Golden Lumber posted:

Just got a hearthstone beta key. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I already leveled a few classes to 10 but I don't really know how to tackle arena.

First of all, check out the thread if you haven't already. We're always welcoming to fresh blood!

On to tips:
-Hearthstone, moreso than a lot of other card games, is really dependent on the concept of card advantage. If you come from an online gaming background you might have the notion that having more dudes than them is better. If you come from a card game background, you know this isn't true in the slightest - cards are your main and best resource. Generally, cards that either replace themselves (like Novice Engineer), destroy more cards than they use (like Arcane Explosion for mages), or have some effect upon immediately being played (like Shattered Sun Cleric's +1/+1 buff) are almost always at least okay cards to use.

-The best strategy to play is to keep the game momentum only slightly in your favor. Unlike games like Magic, Hearthstone is very swingy - you can easily go from a winning position to being on the ropes in a single turn. You want to be barely winning constantly to minimize the losses from the inevitable Flamestrike/Mind Control/whatever.

-Don't spend cash on it. It's really easy to get all the cards you need, even the rarest ones, and you get gold at such a rate that you can open a pack or two every few days. Plus, the card they give you for spending cash is super lovely :shrug:

-This is more of an advanced tip, but keep in mind certain 'magic numbers', which are, conveniently, the first four primes plus one (:spergin:): 1, 2, 3, 5, 7. A lot of the most effective cards have power and/or toughness equal to one of these numbers, so if you have no better ideas what cards to use, look for one of these. Of course, when you're actually playing anything goes because of buffs and whatnot, but it's good to keep in mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir from a local store's bargain bin. I'm familiar with vanilla NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer, so can anyone point me in the right direction for Storm of Zehir?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cythereal posted:

I picked up Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir from a local store's bargain bin. I'm familiar with vanilla NWN2 and Mask of the Betrayer, so can anyone point me in the right direction for Storm of Zehir?

The main thing to know about Storm is that it's the Icewind Dale to MotB's PS:T. It's plot and character light, designed to be a more lighthearted, combat heavy romp of an adventure. Towards that end, the various NPC's that can join your party are basically all two dimensional and worthless and you should just build your own party for the most part. Skills are also a bit more widely useful than in the base game - notably, it helps to have a PC with Survival, as well as dialog skills.

You'll probably reach somewhere in the range of level 12-16, so plan character builds that come into their own before then. You can eke out more levels with a smaller party, but it's probably not worth it. You probably won't reach epic.

Spend some time exploring the world map - some of the random encounters are the best part of SoZ.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TerryLennox posted:

-You and every fan of this game must write to KOEI and ask them why they haven't released a PS3 or PS4 version.

They should take the From Software route and release it on PC. Playing it in an emulator is ok, but being able to play it with the mouse with PC graphics would kick rear end.

Which reminds me:

- Towards the end of the game you will start to unlock laser weapons. They all suck hugely compared to the "conventional" weapons you'll have unlocked at that point.

- The game has three plot branches (and new game + to explore them in!) Which branch you're in depends on how you play two early missions:
  • branch "W": sink all enemy ships in mission FAR-C-060
  • branch "G": in FAR-C-060, flee without sinking all enemy ships. In FAR-D-070, complete the main objective, then flee without engaging any other ships.
  • branch "J": as in "G", but in FAR-D-070, complete the main and secondary objectives and then hang around until friendly reinforcements arrive.

- A lot of missions have a secret treasure hidden somewhere. These often give you a look at weapons or gear you wouldn't normally find until much later, and can give you a significant edge. It's worth looking them up in an FAQ because they are a total bastard to find unassisted.

- Aircraft are not, in general, a viable offence. Helicopters are useful for collecting packages and interceptors will help keep enemy aircraft out of your grille, but you aren't going to be sinking a lot of enemy ships with bombers. (This may change in NG+ once you unlock crazy sci-fi aircraft, but it's definitely the case on a first playthrough)

Now I want to play WG2 again.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

- Aircraft are not, in general, a viable offence. Helicopters are useful for collecting packages and interceptors will help keep enemy aircraft out of your grille, but you aren't going to be sinking a lot of enemy ships with bombers. (This may change in NG+ once you unlock crazy sci-fi aircraft, but it's definitely the case on a first playthrough)
This is in a way why aircraft carriers are a bit of a R&D trap -- without a "viable offense" in aircraft, there's not much point.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Figured this would be a good place to ask. In Baldur's Gate II (Enhanced Edition if it matters) What is max level I can safely dual class and still reach a respectable level with both classes? I'm currently a level 11 Swashbuckler and I was thinking about dual classing a fighter. I pretty much just started the game and am still in Chapter two. Or should I just forget about the idea?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I've heard Tales of Graces F can be the wrong side of grindy, especially for Skill Points. Is it worth getting the double SP DLC for that? Anything else not on the Wiki worth remembering?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've heard Tales of Graces F can be the wrong side of grindy, especially for Skill Points. Is it worth getting the double SP DLC for that? Anything else not on the Wiki worth remembering?
I never had to grind overmuch. Just don't actively avoid the monsters that show up on your way somewhere and you'll generally be fine.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You'll only really need to grind for SP if you're really dead set on reaching mastery in every title. So, as long as you just grab artes and important skills like the CC+ ones, you should be fine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CaptainPsyko posted:

The main thing to know about Storm is that it's the Icewind Dale to MotB's PS:T. It's plot and character light, designed to be a more lighthearted, combat heavy romp of an adventure. Towards that end, the various NPC's that can join your party are basically all two dimensional and worthless and you should just build your own party for the most part. Skills are also a bit more widely useful than in the base game - notably, it helps to have a PC with Survival, as well as dialog skills.

You'll probably reach somewhere in the range of level 12-16, so plan character builds that come into their own before then. You can eke out more levels with a smaller party, but it's probably not worth it. You probably won't reach epic.

Spend some time exploring the world map - some of the random encounters are the best part of SoZ.

Started playing, but might as well ask: I used the toolset to let me have a party of six player-made characters from the start, but invariably half or more of the party just sits at the entrance to any area rather than following the character I'm currently controlling. Is there a way around this?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

You arent meant to max out your characters in Tales games unless youre playing on super hard or just feel like it for shits n giggles. You can get to level 200 or more but the main game usually ends before you'd get to 100 when playing normally.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dragonrah posted:

Figured this would be a good place to ask. In Baldur's Gate II (Enhanced Edition if it matters) What is max level I can safely dual class and still reach a respectable level with both classes? I'm currently a level 11 Swashbuckler and I was thinking about dual classing a fighter. I pretty much just started the game and am still in Chapter two. Or should I just forget about the idea?

This depends a lot on what classes you're dual-ing from/to, since there are different XP gradations for each class, as well as different break points in terms of when each class gets access to various perks or bonuses.

The PIH wiki has a pretty good breakdown about when you should switch from/to for any given combination. http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur%27s_Gate:_Dual_and_Multiclassing

For a Thief->Fighter, 6 and 11 tend to be the magic numbers, though for a Swash, 10 and 15 are also good choices.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Started playing, but might as well ask: I used the toolset to let me have a party of six player-made characters from the start, but invariably half or more of the party just sits at the entrance to any area rather than following the character I'm currently controlling. Is there a way around this?

Yes, you have to screw with the obtuse settings on the bottom-right of the screen (I can never remember what they are). Alternatively, you can right-click and select the "Follow" command, but I don't think that will fix what you're describing.

More for NWN: Storm of Zehir

-There is an overworld map, and your "lead" character will determine your success/failures in finding hidden stuff and potentially evading combat. These are dependent on that character's skill in Survival, Hide in Shadows, Move Silently, Listen, Spot, and probably some other poo poo. A ranger is a good idea, or maybe a rogue. Random encounters can be really annoying sometimes, so have at least one character level up all those skills.

-Set up trade routes as soon as you can, and upgrade them as soon as you can. It gives you the most trade bars for the least effort, in my opinion (and trade bars will be important).

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Anything for The Last Story besides the general tips on the beforeiplay site?

e: Also is switching to manual attack really the best idea? it says it lowers the damage you do...

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Having a hard time getting into ICO. I enjoyed Shadows of the Colossus. Having to escort a helpless girl by hand everywhere is frustrating and boring. What can I do/keep in mind to make the game more fun?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AASman posted:

Having a hard time getting into ICO. I enjoyed Shadows of the Colossus. Having to escort a helpless girl by hand everywhere is frustrating and boring. What can I do/keep in mind to make the game more fun?

Nothing, really. Except for the first 20 minutes and the final 20 minutes Ico is a game about escorting a helpless girl by hand everywhere. If you leave her two or three screens behind then she'll get kidnapped and several sections deal with you running off to solve a puzzle then dashing back to her as monsters spirit her away. If you don't like it now you won't like it later.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Aw, maybe I should try replaying it when I'm in a better mood.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anything for ToME (Tales of Maj'Eyal)? The roguelike?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AASman posted:

Aw, maybe I should try replaying it when I'm in a better mood.

Don't feel too bad, I couldn't get into it either. I wanted to, because everyone raves about it so much, but it just never really clicked for me.

Shadow of the Colossus, on the other hand...

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

The Leper Colon V posted:

Anything for ToME (Tales of Maj'Eyal)? The roguelike?

Unless they changed it lately, the Crystal Caverns starting dungeon for mages and elves(?) is brutal and you're expected to get owned by fire crystals a lot. Try something like a dwarf and a warrior type for easier time. You can, and probably should visit all the other races' starting dungeons for exp.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

AASman posted:

You can get a second player to control Yorda, if I remember right. Maybe grab a friend and dick around like that.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

pigdog posted:

Unless they changed it lately, the Crystal Caverns starting dungeon for mages and elves(?) is brutal and you're expected to get owned by fire crystals a lot. Try something like a dwarf and a warrior type for easier time. You can, and probably should visit all the other races' starting dungeons for exp.

It's just the starting dungeon for Shalore, and you seriously ought to save it for later. I usually do the starting dungeons as follows: Trollmire >> Norgos' Lair >> Heart of the Gloom or Kor'Pul (depending on whether my aoes or spike damage are better, respectively) >> the other one >> Scintillating Cave >> Rhaloren Camp.

Let's see, some other stuff for Ainsley:

Don't play on Roguelike for your first few games. a) the game's extremely long, even by roguelike standards, and b) a lot of your deaths once you get past the initial learning hump are going to be getting ambushed by bullshit in one form or another. Play on Adventurer instead, you'll get a bit more wiggle room while you're learning the game.

Your starting regeneration infusion/shield rune sucks hard, get a new one as soon as you can.

There are four alchemists around Maj'Eyal, three in Derth, Last Hope and Elvala and one somewhere out in the wilderness. You're going to want to talk to all of them for a quest.

Make sure to visit Derth before you hit level 10 or so, there's a quick quest in there that gives you a few more generic points to throw around.

Most of the very dangerous mobs in the early game are casters of one form or another. In general, casters do lots of spike damage from a distance and melee mobs rely more on status effects and lockdowns while still keeping up a reasonable amount of damage. The other big killer in the early game are random enemies, usually rare enemies and adventurer/Ziguranth patrols. Whenever you see any kind of randomly generated enemy, make sure to check its talent list (right click >> Inspect Creature >> Talents) to see what you're up against.

As far as the starting classes go, rogue and shadowblade are super tricky to play, bulwark's an early-game powerhouse that kind of falls off towards the endgame, alchemist is a murder machine (don't bother with heat alchemy, go bombs and golems and never look back), and berserker is KJKLDGHILHGKLHJALKGFHGKILL KILL KILL

If you're playing with chat on, ignore every loving word that comes out of Aura of the Dawn's mouth. Better yet, just put him on your ignore list.

If you've got any more specific questions, hit up the thread on here (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457973&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)or the official forums. Good luck!

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Anything for a single player playthrough of Borderlands 2? Nothing on the site.

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Present posted:

- Slag is a new element type. Does nothing on its own, but hitting an enemy with slag, then with another type of damage (shock, fire, corrosive, etc.) will greatly increase the damage that enemy receives. Resistance still matters though, i.e. don't use fire weapons against fire enemies even if you slag them first.

- Keep a good corrosive weapon on hand since you fight a ton of robots, especially late game, and they are weak to it.

- If you really enjoy the story then get Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep since its acts as a kind of coda to the tale.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Present posted:

- Axton or (DLC character) Gaige are probably the safest newbie characters for SP, since they both can summon distractions if you get overwhelmed.

- Respeccing is really cheap. No, I mean really cheap. And the first playthrough is also really forgiving (more on this later). So put your ability points wherever you like and experiment with different builds as often as you like. In particular, when you hit level 31 try out all three skill trees.

- Money is abundant: always have a generous amount of money saved up so that if a vending machine has a fancy Item of the Day for sale, you don't miss it. Any money beyond that can only be used on Moxxi's slot machines in Sanctuary (and should).

- Speaking of Moxxi, tipping her enough times will net you a good Corrosive SMG with life-stealing; do this when you're about to go into a mission full of Hyperion robot enemies. Further tips for the rest of that playthrough will occasionally net you a similar but Incendiary SMG.

- The first playthrough has little or no level scaling, so if you do all sidequests you'll be massively overpowered. There's lots really fun (and funny) sidequests and some fairly lame ones, so do the most funny ones. If you stick around for a second/third playthrough or for a different character you can do the others later. Or even at the end of the same playthrough, it's not possible to permanently miss or fail sidequests afaik.

- If you've seen other players on the internet talking about this or that legendary item and you really want to play with those, cheat (if you're not totally allergic to the idea), at least by increasing drop rates; all the info is in the thread OP. The vanilla drop rates are ridiculously low, you can easily never see any legendaries at all in whole playthrough.

- Any tip you read on the internet to "save [x] until the endgame / level 50" is effectively outdated if you can get the various DLCs, since they push the level cap really high, and the people who actually reached level 72 + Overpower levels report that the game is borderline broken at those levels. So basically do any content you like whenever you find it the right level of challenging.

- There is no fall damage. Use this for easy escapes/shortcuts.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 14, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anything for The Last Story besides the general tips on the beforeiplay site?

e: Also is switching to manual attack really the best idea? it says it lowers the damage you do...

• Switch to manual, because you can mash the attack button and outpace the auto-attack in DPS. Plus it's generally just better to be able to keep it in your control.

• When you can in town, get Bananas (there's a guy by the arena that sells them). Bananas for everyone! :unsmigghh:.

• Find the windy alley in town and take the time to do the minigame there. You'll upgrade your crossbow stat and net some good items. The frog sidequest gets you some good stuff too, from memory (been a while since I've played TLS).

• There's a few side-chapters scattered through the game (I THINK the first one is Chapter 8 or 10, somewhere around there). They'll give you some decent XP and are generally just fun standalone stories. I'm fairly certain you can't miss them either, so don't worry if you suddenly find the Chapter number skipping one.

• You'll only have control of Zael for the first few hours, but after few hours in you will get to command the entire party. Not directly as playable characters, just "you heal, you toss a fireball" and soforth.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Had the urge to dig out my old original Xbox. Ninja Gaiden Black? Dark Souls doesn't have poo poo on this game. I'm only on the second area and I have enemies that block everything, wave after wave of enemies, some jerk on the sidelines spamming ki attacks, the controls and camera aren't the best... any tips?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

AASman posted:

Had the urge to dig out my old original Xbox. Ninja Gaiden Black? Dark Souls doesn't have poo poo on this game. I'm only on the second area and I have enemies that block everything, wave after wave of enemies, some jerk on the sidelines spamming ki attacks, the controls and camera aren't the best... any tips?

Google search "on-land charge" and spam the poo poo out of it. Added bonus, you look like a total badass. Only downside, it uses up the xp/health souls in the area, but if you do it right, you will get HUGE xp from the last guy in the area you kill.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

AASman posted:

Been a long time since I played this, but I remember the Flying Swallow sword technique was a good crutch to get you through many of the regular enemies. It is quick and has priority over most other attacks.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Chortles posted:

This is in a way why aircraft carriers are a bit of a R&D trap -- without a "viable offense" in aircraft, there's not much point.

This is correct. I have only found carriers useful in some circumstances. The maximum size of cannons you can mount are 25.4cm which is very crappy. Eventually you can remove the cannons and just play a carrier missile boat. Antiship, Antiair and ASROCs. Get a decent radar, Automation III and AEGIS and you can make it work. Carriers can be useful on missions where you fight fleets that include large numbers of Carriers and BattleCarriers as having your own birds can help manage enemy plane swarms which can and will thousand-cut you to death. I also find that your birds tend to distract the enemy so they fire less at you. Don't try to take carriers to boss fights because even while using the heaviest bombers with the largest bomb loads will still take forever on their own.

Destroyers and Cruisers can remain viable in late game if you make sure you can equip hard hitting but light weapons. Oxy torpedos, Supersonics, Guided torps are still very useful. You'll have to get bow and forward thrusters so you can dance around the enemy. Its unlikely you'll be able to get the armor plating heavier than 20cm plating so don't bother. If you are not good at maneuvering, avoid using these ships in the late game as many battleships and bosses can OHKO you.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I have a question about Diablo 2 before I drive over to my brother's house to borrow his disc. Can I play it offline without needing the cd key? I'm never taking the character online.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Pneub posted:

I have a question about Diablo 2 before I drive over to my brother's house to borrow his disc. Can I play it offline without needing the cd key? I'm never taking the character online.
The CD Key is needed to install. If you use his key, then you can both use it as long as you never get online.

There might be other options for how to get it to install, too, aside from having a legitimate CD key, but any discussion of it would probably be :filez:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

The Leper Colon V posted:

The CD Key is needed to install. If you use his key, then you can both use it as long as you never get online.

There might be other options for how to get it to install, too, aside from having a legitimate CD key, but any discussion of it would probably be :filez:.

Thanks. Now to see if Blizzard sends a hitman to my house.