Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

SpaceAceJase posted:

I've just started Phantasy Star IV, the first time playing this series. Any tips for a Nintendo kid? I'm a few hours in and I've died for the first time. Not sure if I've got a firm grasp of the skills and battle system.

This is an old school game so you ought to grind at least 2 or 3 levels between dungeons, level scaling hadn't been invented yet.

Gear is VERY expensive in this game so grind accordingly.

This game features magic combos: if two characters that are next to each other in initiative cast certain spells, those spells can combine and form potentially devastating combos. A few early ones: Chaz (foi) + Alys (zan) => Flame Tornado, Han (wat) + Alys (zan) => Blizzard, Chaz (cross cut) + Raja (holy power) => Grand Cross (this is VERY abusable), however there are many more, including the impractical Destruction which involves 4 characters.

Do not level any character to level 99, this game suffers from a serious bug where reaching level 99 makes you lose stats and skills. Once you reach lvl 80, finish the game.

Some equipment can be used as items to cast certain spells, use a FAQ to find which. Also some weapons can cast a spell on a critical.

Make sure that you keep going back to Aiedo (the town where Chaz lives) to the Bounty Hunter guild to get some sidequest and some very sweet gear.

Go back to Rykros once you finish the quests there, Chaz can get his most powerful spell there after a tricky quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

juliuspringle posted:

edit: Remembered something I meant to mention earlier. I'm convinced there is only really one NPC in J&D and it's the Loch Ness Monster because every person I meet wants me to give them 90 precursor orbs.

God drat Loch Ness Montser, I ain't givin you no 90 precursor orbs!

[EDIT] If it were EA, the NPCs would actually ask you for $3.50 microtransaction.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Lorini posted:

Any thoughts on classes for Disagaea 5? I know the game defines grind, but there are so many classes and I was wondering which I should either definitely get or definitely not get. Thanks.

There's not really much you can do wrong, honestly. I hired one of one and, really, ended up using only a very small subset of them. Feel free to mix and match!
That being said, here's some stuff I wish I knew about certain classes:

- The game starts you off with a decent variety of classes that are essentially the same role, divided into male/female, but some of them are better than others for a lot of the game. For instance, the female Valkyrie's unique passive/Evility gives them bonus damage for each square they move, so they become more effective later when you can stack a bunch of +move items onto them, but less effective early on compared to the male Fighter. YMMV, but here's my take:
Fighter > Valkyrie, as Valkyrie is more gear-dependent for the above reasons.
Magician > Witch. Magician spends more SP per cast, but deals more damage, while Witch spends half SP and later gets an SP regeneration skill. This makes Witch better for long-form marathons such as Item World (but, really, you should be using a Sage for that), while Magician only needs to spend a pittance of HL to refill its health between maps.
Clergy ~= Cleric. Both have their upsides: Clergy's healing magic also works as Espoir, removing status effects, but Cleric's healing is twice as effective. You get a good healer in the form of Christo pretty early on (and you should use him, as he becomes very useful later in the game due to his unique evility), so either option is probably fine.
Martial Artist > Fight Mistress. These are pretty much the same as Fighter/Valkyrie but with a defensive slant (Fight Mistress gains Evasion per tile moved). I didn't really like either of these classes, though, as Armor Knight largely obsoletes their 'tank' role.
- Maid seems pretty dull early on, but later they learn the Afternoon Tea skill, which allows another unit to move and attack again. Needless to say, this skill is incredibly good! Don't make the mistake I made: bring a maid with you whenever you can, if only to be an Afternoon Tea bot.
- Don't knock buff and debuff skills! I didn't give the Professor class much consideration, until I looked at the numbers and realized that their buffs are enormous, especially when leveled up at the Skill Shop.
- It's handy to have a few Celestial Hosts in reserve, as they can learn Miracle of Love, a move that kills them but resurrects another unit that's died.
- Sage is probably the best class in the game by a comedically huge margin, but it's also almost certainly the last class you'll unlock as it requires rank 4/6 of Magic Knight, which'll take a fair bit to get to without excessive grinding.
- None of the generic DLC classes are particularly good, but most of the named DLC characters range from decent to absolutely bonkers good.
- I never really used any of the Monster-type enemies since I found that Mon-Toss and Magichange weren't worth losing Throw for, but they're probably good?
-Don't change the subclass on your generics willy-nilly, as you'll stop gaining class EXP for whatever their class is in favor of gaining class EXP for the new one, which means you'll stop progression on learning their new skills!
-However, leveling other classes will get you access to their evilities, which can be really useful. Maxing a class allows you to gain their Unique Evility, which can drastically buff a character (once you get more Unique slots, later in the game).
-DO change the subclass for the non-generic characters, though, since they'll just be wasting their class EXP otherwise.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm planning to dive into the megathread later but I'm enjoying Monster Hunter World from the four hours I've played so far. I've bounced hard off MH games in the past - the entire hunter genre isn't usually my thing, unless there's a hook like Soul Sacrifice's absolutely ridiculous art and lore - but I can tell I'm going to be playing this one for a while. I'll be burning through the megathread for a while but is there anything people who have played the beta/past games in the series can point out? Don't be afraid to mention something just because there's a tutorial about it - there's been a page or three of tutorials for everything I've done so far and if there's some easy-to-miss mechanic or tip buried in the deluge I'd rather know early.

e: how do I capture big stuff instead of killing it?

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 27, 2018

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

food court bailiff posted:

I'm planning to dive into the megathread later but I'm enjoying Monster Hunter World from the four hours I've played so far. I've bounced hard off MH games in the past - the entire hunter genre isn't usually my thing, unless there's a hook like Soul Sacrifice's absolutely ridiculous art and lore - but I can tell I'm going to be playing this one for a while. I'll be burning through the megathread for a while but is there anything people who have played the beta/past games in the series can point out? Don't be afraid to mention something just because there's a tutorial about it - there's been a page or three of tutorials for everything I've done so far and if there's some easy-to-miss mechanic or tip buried in the deluge I'd rather know early.

e: how do I capture big stuff instead of killing it?

You'll need traps and tranquilizers. Traps come in two varieties: Pitfall and Stun. Tranqs are either Bombs you throw, or Ammo you shoot from the bows/guns.

Beat up the monster until it's limping, chase it down to lay a trap, then throw tranqs while it's stuck.

(I'm still downloading the 6 gig patch, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i haven't done a capture quest yet but if it's like in past games low-rank capture quests will be kind enough to give you a couple traps and tranqs in the supply box at your camps

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SpaceAceJase posted:

I've just started Phantasy Star IV, the first time playing this series. Any tips for a Nintendo kid? I'm a few hours in and I've died for the first time. Not sure if I've got a firm grasp of the skills and battle system.

Use your buffs on bosses. This is the basic suite:

Saner = agility (initiative) boost: all but your super-slow characters will usually go before enemies
Deban/Warla/Blessing = physical defense boost (they don't stack with each other, most recent overwrites earlier)
Barrier = magic defense boost
Shift (single-target)/War Cry (self-target) = physical attack boost

More generally, you've got techniques (which all draw from a shared - and largely finite and hard-to-restore - TP pool) and skills (which have a set number of uses). Except for skills you're particularly attached to for boss fights, feel free to use the other skills on random encounters. Especially the instant-death skills, as well as weaker multi-target skills. (Generally speaking, so long as you're not doing something dumb like using a mech-only instant-death attack against a biological enemy, instant-death attacks work surprisingly well in this game.)

On the technique side of things, if you've played any other RPG ever, you presumably know how to budget your TP (MP equivalent). Bear in mind that this game does not have an equivalent to ethers or elixirs. To restore TP you basically have to get a full heal at an inn or healing pad, though one party member has a TP-restoring skill named Ataraxia.

Steal the Wood Cane that Rune joins with early in the game. It's free (albeit fairly weak) infinite healing if used as an item in battle, which helps longevity, and it's not the only piece of equipment which can be used as an item like that.

More generally speaking, hang on to potentially interesting weapons and shields (especially if they never seemed like an upgrade in the first place - Wren's Pulse guns and Rika's Silver Tusk are more useful than their attack power might imply). Feel free to sell old headgear and armor for cash and inventory space, since most of those are just straight defense upgrades with the occasional minor stat boost here and there, but no more interesting properties than that.

Dual-wielding weapons with different elemental properties (this primarily applies to Rika) works in your favor. The game will roll with whichever element works better for you.

When you're able to cross oceans, knock out the remaining hunters guild sidequests. Some of them are missable if you proceed too far in the plot after that point, and in one case this can include missing out on some top-tier gear or new skill unlocks for one of your party members.

Vil fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 27, 2018

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anything I should know about the weapon and skill upgrade options in Tomb Raider 2013, or should I just enjoy the game about a college grad racking up a higher kill count than Arnold in Commando? :haw:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mister Facetious posted:

Anything I should know about the weapon and skill upgrade options in Tomb Raider 2013, or should I just enjoy the game about a college grad racking up a higher kill count than Arnold in Commando? :haw:

All bow, all the time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sebmojo posted:

All bow, all the time.

Really? I'm not exactly on the highest difficulty (Normal), but firearms are really working for me.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Yeah but how many games feature a bow as a main weapon?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Facetious posted:

Really? I'm not exactly on the highest difficulty (Normal), but firearms are really working for me.

That will all change when you get napalm arrows.

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...
Anything I need to know about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Madoushi posted:

Play literally anything else and save yourself from experiencing a bad game.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Mister Facetious posted:

Bow is the most unique thing, but if you want to 100% the thing (which I did while unable to get achievements, because why not) then you'll be able to pick up everything. If any of the options are "get more of resource" probably get those earlier, while the game doesn't expect anything of you. Pretty sure there's at least one perk like that.

Madoushi posted:

Not as a game, no. It's very linear, and the mechanics are very limited. But I thought it was pretty, so it's got that going for it.

Polyseme fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 27, 2018

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
In the unlikely event that anyone has any Ride 2 tips beyond “turn off auto-braking”, what would they be? Thank you in advance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mister Facetious posted:

The other weapons are fine but you'll probably just want to use the bow 100% of the time, and you can.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I remember the pistol and shotgun both being fun, the latter especially once you get all the fun CQC stuff unlocked, and have never understood the obsession people have with the bow, as alright as it is. Honestly I think I might have enjoyed Rise less because I tried going all bow, and that has even more bow stuff than the first game, IIRC.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Final fantasy 15. I did get the day one edition which comes with masamune so please take that into account

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

I remember the pistol and shotgun both being fun, the latter especially once you get all the fun CQC stuff unlocked, and have never understood the obsession people have with the bow, as alright as it is. Honestly I think I might have enjoyed Rise less because I tried going all bow, and that has even more bow stuff than the first game, IIRC.

I'm playing with a controller (endorsement: the PDP Bonetroller on PC is top quality and has a recessed cable port so it doesn't get hosed up), and I find aiming with the bow to be a pain in the rear end to get headshots. That said, I unlocked the environmental rope hook tricks you can do with it, and those are fun.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 27, 2018

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

oldpainless posted:

Final fantasy 15. I did get the day one edition which comes with masamune so please take that into account

The game throws a ton of side quests at you, including bounties. You might not want to do all of them right away since they'll make the main story quests really trivial. But really just do whatever, I don't think there's anything missable and clowning around in the car with your boy band buddies is a lot of fun.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

oldpainless posted:

Don't be in a rush to leave the main map. The story falls apart once you get on a train and becomes very linear. Having said that, also don't be afraid to progress the story; there is a mechanic later that lets you go back to any area you've previously visited so you are never permanently stuck in the endgame.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anything for Transcendence? Just playing the free version for now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Anything for Transcendence? Just playing the free version for now.

Pay attention to damage type as well as total damage. You might be doing a ton of say laser damage, but later enemies will be practically immune to low-tier damage types like laser and kinetic.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

The wiki page for Dark Souls 3 hasn't been updated in a while. Anyone care to give me a rundown on any changes I should know about?

E. Also, I've played every other game (incl. DeS and BB), so I get the basics.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Only thing I can think of is when to do the DLCs - Ashes is about level 60, Ringed City is endgame/post-game.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Recently finally got to Nier: Automata. Actually felt like kind of a slog for endings A and B but a few things eventually started to click and wound up being a good time.
  • While locked on, tilting the right analog stick is actually for target swapping rather than just swinging around the camera like most games. This works with the game intending shooting stuff to death with bullets and your big gently caress off laser being a valid combat approach rather than just all melee all the time. If the camera's being fucky, back off and use sound cues until it corrects or drop target lock to use it normally.
  • Light purple bullets can be shot down, dark solid purple bullets can be taken out by melee attacks and this also applies to the flying sections. On the ground, the ranged attack works independently of 2B for the most part, so just spamming the machine gun can give you solid cover for the ranged attacks if you're facing the right way, but the melee ones are more for opening holes with deliberate attacks since wild swings tends to get you hit.
  • I've heard the game compared to a JRPG with action combat and it feels pretty apt. Do some subquests and explore around rather than running fight to fight like a Bayonetta or MGS: Revengence. Along those lines:
    • You can store 99 of various healing items and stocking up on lights/mediums is a good idea.
    • Pressing down on the D-pad selects the last item you used. Leaving it on the healing item of your choice seems to be best since fumbling with the list mid-combat leads to pain.
    • Do side quests after you unlock fast travel early on since they carry story hints and anything you earn carries through to the other playthroughs after ending A. You eventually unlock a chapter select so don't worry about missing anything, though.
    • Upgrade the plug-in chip capacity when you can afford to and tinker with the load out. Customizing is part of the game and, despite what the game says, you'll want to manually change it up eventually since the auto-setting doesn't distinguish times when some character specific chips become irrelevant. You can save 3 loadouts to swap between, so it's still not too bad.
  • Experiment around with weapons. A lot. I spent way, way too long with the first two swords since they were the most upgraded and listed way higher stat numbers. The numbers don't seem to make nearly the difference it seems like on paper and this is where the game really opened up for me. Weapons behave differently depending on whether they're equipped on light or heavy attacks and what weapon they're paired with so go hog wild. I didn't touch fist weapons for the longest time since they listed 1/5 the damage of the swords, but you put them on light attack and they air juggle enemies, you put them on heavy attack to punt robots across the room and you pair them with a heavy sword to bat them at enemies like a baseball. I was just expecting it to be the bayonetta hands/feet weapon system or something but it's way more elaborate and it's amazing.

yook fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 29, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I want to start playing Expeditions: Conquistador, any advice for this, especially party creation?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

1redflag posted:

The wiki page for Dark Souls 3 hasn't been updated in a while. Anyone care to give me a rundown on any changes I should know about?

E. Also, I've played every other game (incl. DeS and BB), so I get the basics.

Briefly holding down on the d-pad will automatically select your first consumable item, by default the Estus Flask. Illusionary walls are opened by attacking again. Equipment weight below 30% gives you the lightest roll, but in practice the difference between it and the <70% roll isn't that big so don't worry about it too much. You can change covenants on the fly by equipping their respective covenant items, and there's no penalty for doing so. You need to beat an optional boss in the second area (Undead Settlement) to be able to turn boss souls into stuff, the NPC who does it sitting on one of the thrones in Firelink Shrine.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Something I found out about Dark Souls 3 recently, if you completely exhaust your stamina, then you will not be able to sprint for several seconds, even if your stamina has refilled. I always thought the sprint button was just broken.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

I want to start playing Expeditions: Conquistador, any advice for this, especially party creation?

Pick guys with compatible traits when possible (i.e. decide to go full racist or not).

If you've already bought it, ignore this; otherwise, Expeditions: Viking is a signfiicantly more refined version of the same game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gerblyn posted:

Something I found out about Dark Souls 3 recently, if you completely exhaust your stamina, then you will not be able to sprint for several seconds, even if your stamina has refilled. I always thought the sprint button was just broken.

I think this has been the case in the past games as well.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

It's a good idea to have 2 doctors, so if one is out of comission you can still heal your squad.
Hunters become beasts around veteran level, but it's good to have a mix of all classes in combat.

KoldPT posted:

Pick guys with compatible traits when possible (i.e. decide to go full racist or not).

If you've already bought it, ignore this; otherwise, Expeditions: Viking is a signfiicantly more refined version of the same game.

Did they make any improvements to the UI? I liked the original but it was way too easy to move somebody by mistake in combat and inventory management was a pain.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Could someone maybe add some more general tips onto what's already been said about Monster Hunter World (and Monster Hunter games in general). I just got the game after not having played a MonHun since what I believe to be the first one on PS2 and it seems like what little I thought I remembered has changed...

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

CordlessPen posted:

Could someone maybe add some more general tips onto what's already been said about Monster Hunter World (and Monster Hunter games in general). I just got the game after not having played a MonHun since what I believe to be the first one on PS2 and it seems like what little I thought I remembered has changed...

- Be sure to snag things from gathering nodes as you do missions. Grabbing a few herbs and some honey every now and then goes a long way toward not running out mega-potions, to toss out an example. You do gain the ability to to grow plant/mushroom/insect harvestables in the game town, but you can only choose a couple of things to grow at a time.

- Blunt damage to the head can stun monsters. Sever damage can cut off tails, assuming the monster has a tail that can be removed (if it's big enough to practically target, it probably can be, especially if it's used to attack). Remember to find the severed tails and carve them for more loot. In fact, always have quick look whenever it says that a monster part was broken, there can be bits of monster loot to pick up.

- Flashbugs and flashpods are great for bringing flying monsters to the ground. Just make sure they're looking at the flash.

- Every time a monster is inflicted with a status effect its resistance to that effect increases, and mounting a monster counts as a status effect. Faster weapons tend to be better at inflicting status effects.

- Your Palico gets new tools by making friends with grimalkyne tribes. When you unlock a new area, it can be worthwhile to do an expedition to find them.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 30, 2018

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Random Hajile posted:

- Blunt damage to the head can stun monsters. Sever damage can cut off tails, assuming the monster has a tail that can be removed (if it's big enough to practically target, it probably can be, especially if it's used to attack). Remember to find the severed tails and carve them for more loot. In fact, always have quick look whenever it says that a monster part was broken, there can be bits of monster loot to pick up.

- Your Palico gets new tools by making friends with grimalkyne tribes. When you unlock a new area, it can be worthwhile to do an expedition to find them.
Thanks a bunch! Couple of questions: Is damage type dependant on the weapon? It probably is, and it would make sense, but I got the feeling that most people chose a weapon and stuck with it for most of the game, which makes sense considering how wildly different the movesets are between weapons, but it would mean that most people also chose one damage type and made do for the whole game.
Also, to find a Grimalkyne tribe, do I just walk around in an expedition until I find wild cats? I think I just unlocked the second area and I haven't found them in the first yet.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

CordlessPen posted:

Thanks a bunch! Couple of questions: Is damage type dependant on the weapon? It probably is, and it would make sense, but I got the feeling that most people chose a weapon and stuck with it for most of the game, which makes sense considering how wildly different the movesets are between weapons, but it would mean that most people also chose one damage type and made do for the whole game.
Also, to find a Grimalkyne tribe, do I just walk around in an expedition until I find wild cats? I think I just unlocked the second area and I haven't found them in the first yet.

Damage type is dependant on weapon type, yes.

And as for how to find Grimalkyne tribes, when on expeditions in the first few areas, you can find doodles to inspect that let you track them like monsters - go into the area map and select them as your active tracking target to get your scoutflies help out. If you're still having trouble, go between areas until the "Lynian Researcher" is in the area you need a hint in. Find him (he'll be a green dot on the map), and he should help point you in the right direction.

It’s also not a bad idea to track down each type of researcher once in every area, the others give you research tasks to unlock new ingredients to make canteen meals better.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CordlessPen posted:

I'm not actually sure if the grimalkyne tribes can be discovered unless a lynian researcher is in the area - it always seems that I only ever find their doodles when he's there. Might just have been strange luck for me though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I just bought Nioh, no DLC, and I'm curious what I need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
E: wrong thread, my apologies

BrightWing fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 30, 2018