Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Nate RFB posted:

I know that personally I started RE4 on the Gamecube maybe 3-4 times and kept getting stuck on that one first village area, and it wasn't until years later on the Wii that I actually got past it and went on to love the game all the way to beating it on Pro. The village battle to me is a roadblock for some people, and there's no real detriment to avoiding its hardest parts your first time through. Certainly going to be plenty of "oh poo poo" moments coming up after that that have no easy way out.

RE started this in 2, with the initial run to the Police Station. CV did almost the same thing. RE3 added the ambush in but didn't give you control over it so it became nothing more than a cutscene. It sets an oppresive tone, but too bad they don't often go too far with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Is there a benefit to picking up the corpses of downed enemies in Valkyria Chronicles?

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

al-azad posted:

Uncharted 2

Don't underestimate firing from cover without aiming. It hits often enough. Also, some running and gunning and finishing with a punch is also very useful.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

21stCentury posted:

I started playing Medievil (PSone classic). I beat the first boss so far. Seems pretty straightforward but, any specific thing I need to watch out for?

I played it when it came out and got 100% on my run without really trying so I think you should be OK. Sorry but this is pretty much all I remember

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
It's not.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Nick Buntline posted:

No, it's definitely possible. The level multiplier on high XP fights regularly shift people around plus/minus levels relative to each other, and you recruit people higher level than you at several points in the story. The way I remember it, I found the recruit when the hero was ~level 43, and then came back to get him ten minutes later when the next recruit I found was a level 45 elderly person (the librarian, I think?). Numbers are vague recollections, of course, but it does happen. Anyway, it's all irrelevant if the requirement was less strict than I thought it was (although it'll still be more difficult to meet if you power-level).

I't a Suikoden game so "elderly" means 26

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Astfgl posted:

[*]Roving Trader Hat/Outfit: The hat and the outfit provide +5 to Barter each, which amounts to +10 when worn together. You should carry this at all times and put it on before dealing with ANY merchant. There's no real single place to find it--sometimes you luck out and a merchant has it in stock, but more often than not you have to kill some poor traveling merchant in the wastes and take it from his corpse.

The easiest and earliest way to score this set is to shoot the guy who tells you about the star bottlecaps in the face. Plus, he's carrying some star bottlecaps. win-win

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

OxMan posted:

Because typically "hallway" zombies that you continuously run into as you're running through the mansion should be dodged. Me, I suck at the game so I wait until one is next to me, shoot him while aiming downwards which stuns him for like a second, then run past him. The only zombies you SHOULD kill are the ones in rooms you're only going to be into once, which is the majority of them.

Or, you know, the total opposite of this. Kill and burn the zombies next to the save rooms so you never have to worry about them again. The gold hallway with the mirror is another place to burn them. Dodge the others.

I can give better REmake advice if you tell me where you are

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
When is the best time to run through the Shivering Isles expansion to Oblivion? Does it matter?

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Dead Space:

OptimusShr posted:

-Put power nodes in your suits' health rather than air. You can get through the game with ZERO air upgrades.

I never had an issue with air, just don't gently caress around in a vacuum. Near the end is a tight spot but there's a few ways around it. An air can for instance.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Grawl posted:

Some tips regarding scanning:

3. poo poo you did in the first two games affects your rating at the start of the game. If you missed quests and/or made some bad decisions in the first two games, it can cost you. Allegedly, starting ME3 fresh with no import already costs you a couple hundred effective points.

It does, because the fresh start scenario is pretty terrible. Most of the previous supporting cast are dead, and they're each worth 25 or so points. Import a character if you can, especially if you've played the other games because you'll be wondering where everyone is. Personally I think it'd be worth renting ME2 to finish off a character before starting 3.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Oblivion myopia ITT. Look, you're never going to finish the quest with your first character. You're going to run around and do stuff until you get bored and want to see how a different character plays. You'll notice little things that bug you and wonder if using a different skillset will fix it. It will, but will present its own problems. Your second and third characters will likely go the same way and you'll begin to understand the caterwauling here. By your fourth or fifth character you might have finished the main quest (unlikely) and you'll have moved on to something else.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
For clarity's sake on the above the PS3 controls are the L1 and R1

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Cliff posted:

Anything for Resident Evil 6? Specifically, is there any kind of store where I can sell all the extra grenades and remote bombs I'm carrying, or should I just stop picking them up?

No. Remote bombs become useful but not necessary later on so you'll have a chance to eventually move through them. There's really no reason to have more than five though so just drop them if you need the space. There really isn't a situation that can't be made better by a grenade or two. Don't stockpile, use em.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

Oh, well, in general you get credits straight away from whatever it is you're hacking / bypassing.
Sometimes optional side rooms with some interesting logs and yet more credits will be locked by a door you have to bypass.

In general you're not going to miss out on a lot, although unlike in ME1, equipment in ME2 actually somewhat matters so you actually have some use for those credits.

The games aren't terribly difficult anyway;
Bypass is basically playing Pairs. You have to connect all the node pairs with the same symbol.
Hacking will show you an image of text highlighted in different colors on the top of the screen and you have to wait for, select, and then click on the same exact image from the ones scrolling past the screen, and repeat this three times. Don't select a wrong image and don't scroll over red highlighted screens.

There's the occasional upgrade. For certain I know there's one behind a hacking screen during Garrus' loyalty mission, but I don't know any others off the top of my head.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

GhostBoy posted:

...pay attention to what is said in the final hour of the game...

What in the Jiminy Crickets' kind of advice is this before I play?

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
There's no need to buy guns thru DLC for ME3. The standard weapons work just fine.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

I picked up Resonance of Fate

Your tri-attack can be interrupted if a character collides with something, and it's not always clear what/when your characters can slam into something and ruin a perfectly good attack run. Try to keep your running paths as open as possible.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
You can also dodge twice (I always went right dunno if left works) and the debris will miss you, then you can run up and get a few hits in. He is an rear end in a top hat.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Nah. You can punch him, but you lose nothing for starting lethal and switching.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Pneub posted:

Waving the chloroform handkerchief in front of you is hilariously broken in hand-to-hand boss fights.

I love that I never thought of this

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I'm playing the original Dead Space blind, and I figured hard wouldn't be that bad.
Fast forward 1 hour and New Arrivals being cleared later, help

Carry a spare node around with you at all times. The node doors are ALWAYS worth it.
Suits > nodes > anything else
Don't bother upgrading O2 if you can help it. I think there's only 1 place where default can be an issue, but once you've gotten through it you'll never have trouble again the track outside leading to the rail gun

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Learning under different Masters will also drastically alter the way your party members level their stats (they'll show the stat differences in the Master's menu when you're asked who'll study under them).

Certain abilities can only be learned by certain characters through Guarding, but once they're obtained they can be moved to any party member via the book inside your tent at the campsite (just pick Camp from the overmap). The first one you'll probably pick up is Burn, a fire spell, from Mage Goo's, and it's well worth moving to Ryu (or whatever you name your mute protagonist) just so you can spit out fire/wind combo spells on-demand without having to pop his Dragon form. You'll need an item called an Aurum to move the skill over, and you get those from enemy loot.

Certain enemies, like the Treant and its palette-swaps, get stronger if you light them on fire, and are worth more XP. Some get pissed if you steal from them. The bestiary (square?) in the battle menu will usually tip you off if there's something interesting about a certain enemy or if they have a skill you can learn. Don't overstress about Ershin's armor crafting. I am told Ershin is a monster tank anyway and farming items is perfectly fine if you want to, but I never stressed about it and it worked out OK for me during my playthroughs. Likewise, the item trading sidequest happened pretty organically and is l o n g. Look it up if you must and don't feel bad if you do.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Wild ARMS 1 has a gamebreaking item duplication trick preserved in the PSN version. If you get frustrated looking for duplicators, or are just ready for things to get weird, look it up.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Agreed. You don't have to do it all, I would do like half the story and then dick around for awhile before you finish it. But lots of people are surprised the game pretty much opens up almost entirely from the get-go so you can just piss off and kill orcs all day if you want. And... pissing off and killing orcs the way you want is REALLY fun. But you should get some of the basic abilities first.

Also halfway through you open a second area and can freely travel between them, and they have their own orcs which evolve independent of each others' forces, so if you're dicking around its really nice to have access to both. The second is nice and green and grassy while the first is brown and muddy.

Before I play for the first time, what is halfway?

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Pneub posted:

It... wasn't the most carefully planned game by all official accounts. Although after you beat dracula you unlock a $200,000 accesorry that makes all single-use items infinite.

What sorcery is this? I must have played through the game a dozen times at least.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

I might be misremembering, but dont completely ignore the fishing mini-game. You need to do it to actually progress late in the game

You can completely ignore the fishing game if you want. The fish, as items, have some useful effects and can make life easier, but it's not wholly necessary. You might be thinking of the one quest where you need to catch a certain fish to feed to the guy, but you can complete that with starting gear. Its not any easier or harder depending if you spent 30 hrs or 30 mins on fishing to that point.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Draile posted:

There is a useful master for Ryu who requires fishing points to unlock, though.

Unlocking masters is not required for progression.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

The Marsh Cave, as someone else mentioned, is the first (and sort of only) really big hump to get over.

I recommend you grind by fighting the ogres on the patch of plains North East of the elf town. Get enough money so that whoever can use one can get a silver sword. Also, get a cottage to use right before you enter the cave. It will save your game so if you have some lovely encounters, it's not the end of the world. If I remember right, most of the treasure in the cave is rear end, so you don't need to worry about exploring fully.

IIRC the stuff on the bottom floor is what you're after anyway treasure and plot-wise, but you'll have to get through a tough encounter first. Grind grind grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

For ME3:
And that one other thing can be Tali's mission, and it's a hoot if you take Legion along.

Oh goddamnit.

For Andromeda, I just had a few priority missions dumped on me, and I'm assuming that although they seem time sensitive, they're really not. Is this correct? Can I dick around as much as I want before getting on with it, or is someone going to have a temper tantrum eventually?