Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

Playing Castlevania SOTN for the first time, just wandering around not knowing what I'm doing. Got to a boss I can't beat. Anything I should know about?

Always remember where you got blocked and in which way (need higher jump, locked door, etc) and when you get the appropriate relic go back and explore.

Use your throw-item specials. I found crystal useful for reaching weirdly positioned enemies and holy water deals good damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

OptimusShr posted:

To expand on this, while there are many spells the most useful by far is Soul Steal (Back, forward, half circle back, forward and an attack button.) It kills all the enemies on screen and gives you health back.

And then if you rely on this too much, Doppelganger and the Demon will give you a harsh lesson in vanishing enemies :unsmigghh:

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Real hurthling! posted:

dead rising

also i passed kent's quest but i don't know what he wanted or what exactly I did that got me the right picture. i just took like 50 photos of him jump kicking zombies until one of them was good enough. learned how to reload the camera which is good i guess. is there a way to check mission criteria while you play? are lots of missions as vague as this early one?

Kent's quest is the most obscure quest in the game, from what I remember. Nothing else depends on the game judging your photos.

The tip about stocking up on mini-chainsaws and the durability books that extend their lifespan is Easy Mode. I'd suggest not doing that unless you're really feeling stonewalled by some challenge.

Climb everywhere. There are lots of good items in odd, hard-to-reach places.

Make note of any blenders you find. Experiment with making juices.

Don't reload whenever anything goes wrong. Dealing with consequences (and coming back stronger / better equipped the next time) is part of the fun. It may take you an hour to meander over to Carlito the first time, but after getting to know the mall you'll be skateboarding to him in the first five minutes of the play.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

OptimusShr posted:

To expand on this, while there are many spells the most useful by far is Soul Steal (Back, forward, half circle back, forward and an attack button.) It kills all the enemies on screen and gives you health back.

I am trying this and it doesn't seem to do anything or Im doing it wrong. I have 56 MP

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

African AIDS cum posted:

I am trying this and it doesn't seem to do anything or Im doing it wrong. I have 56 MP

It's not an easy spell to cast until you get the hang of it. Just keep at it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Mayor McCheese posted:

It's not an easy spell to cast until you get the hang of it. Just keep at it.

Ah didn't realize I had to do diagonals

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
A very easy and effective spell to use is Hellfire: up, down, down+forward, forward, attack. It's Dracula's signature triple fireball move and you can use it to dodge projectiles too.
The easiest one to pull off is Summon Spirit: back, forward, up, down, attack; creates a homing projectile you can use to cheese bosses with impunity. There's a far more powerful variant but I don't remember the combo for that one.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

A very easy and effective spell to use is Hellfire: up, down, down+forward, forward, attack. It's Dracula's signature triple fireball move and you can use it to dodge projectiles too.
What the game doesn't tell you is that Hellfire has 2 additional variants: trigger the combo, then hold up to shoot 2 big fireballs instead, or hold down to not shoot fireballs (if you need a harmless teleport for some reason).

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Spells are pretty tricky to input in general I found. Despite going through the game multiple times I've only once managed to cast Sword Brothers.

Soul Steal is a bread and butter spell though. Heal and damage if you can get the stupid thing to go off, great for trash mobs.

I was always fond of Dark Metamorphosis. I found it easier to pull off and enough things bleed that it can keep you topped off for health if you're careful.
Dark Metamorphosis (10MP): left, up-left, up, up-right, right and square

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Zushio posted:

I was always fond of Dark Metamorphosis. I found it easier to pull off and enough things bleed that it can keep you topped off for health if you're careful.
Dark Metamorphosis (10MP): left, up-left, up, up-right, right and square

I don't remember there being enough bleeding enemies for it to be useful.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

juliuspringle posted:

Anyone have anything for Dungeon Defenders? The original not II or whatever subtitle the abandoned remake has. I have all the dlc so literally any tips.
-If you're playing solo, you can switch out your guy during build phase to lay down another character's traps
-Easy mode to start with is generally knight bumpers plus monk auras(which get pretty OP)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

OptimusShr posted:

I don't remember there being enough bleeding enemies for it to be useful.

Early in the game, when you're fighting zombies and such and don't have a lot of MP, dark metamorphosis is useful. Later on soul steal becomes your best heal, especially against tough or invincible enemies because you'll do a ton of hits and each one heals you for 8hp.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Soul Steal will also destroy breakable walls because it hits those too.

Dark Metamorphosis requires Alucard to get hit by the blood splatter from an enemy, which requires him to use a bladed weapon & to hit an enemy with blood.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This thread finally got me to play SotN.

I almost sequence broke by accident and I'm not sure if that's good or not.

Namely, I spent a good 20 minutes trying to cross the collapsing bridge with the wolf form, and only stopped because that LAST floating mini skull on the third bridge section kept loving me up.

Then I went to find a book subweapon and found the right path by accident.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Feel free to sequence break SotN. Getting past the bridge that you described is perfectly fine, but expect the game to turn it up a notch in the next session as it doesn't expect you to be there just yet.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
So, Divinity Original Sin. Anything I should keep in mind for character creation specifically? I want at least one magic-user, but there are so many options I feel a bit lost.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

For Original Sin they've changed the balance as they went I think but back at launch or so having a wizard was top notch but I found making the kind of cleric option was very very lackluster. You would be better with a sword and boarder type. The two original companions you meet a little in were a wizard so you can have all the spell combinations and a dps singleweapon character. Gradually the healer eventually became the tank for me, better to build that from the start i thought by the end of the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

a glitch posted:

So, Divinity Original Sin. Anything I should keep in mind for character creation specifically? I want at least one magic-user, but there are so many options I feel a bit lost.

Make sure you're playing the Enhanced Edition instead of the base game as they're separate in your library, for one.

Also you can get two other characters in your party in addition to the pair you make yourself. As far as characters with personalities go there are four available (Knight, Wizard, Rogue, Ranger) in the first city, so if you want to cover as many different skills as possible you might want to check their stats beforehand from here.

Personally I recommend having at least one archer, either one of your own or the Ranger companion, simply because D:OS has perhaps the most fun archer "class" in any RPG. In addition to their skills, they have access to a huge amount of different kinds of special arrows you can find and craft which gives them a lot of cool options and answers to practically any situation.

Talent-wise, you might want to get one of your guys Pet Pal since talking to animals gives you a bunch of extra dialogue and helps in certain quests as well. Due to skills requiring more and more points to increase the more you invest into them, Scientist (+1 Crafting & +1 Blacksmithing) is surprisingly valuable as well as aside from both being useful skills, skill points received from sources other than directly invested points (meaning ones from talents, items or personality traits) are considered "free".

What I mean by that is that normally, going from skill level of 0 to 5 requires an investment of 15 skill points (1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 points for each level respectively) which is many levels' worth. However free skill points don't count towards the increased cost, so a character with Scientist who intends to max out both Crafting and Blacksmithing immediately saves 10 skill points with that single talent as they only need to increase both skills up to 4 instead of 5, skipping the final 5-point investments.

You can also get another free point in Crafting (but not Blacksmithing) by picking Pragmatic conversation options over Romantic ones (Romantic personality gives +1 to Lucky Charm instead) with that character, meaning a Pragmatic character with Scientist only needs 6 skill points to max out Crafting instead of 15. I'm not 100% certain but there might be pieces of gear that give one more free point, so a Pragmatic character with Scientist wearing a piece of gear that increases Crafting could max the skill out completely with only 3 skill points.

Goofballs posted:

For Original Sin they've changed the balance as they went I think but back at launch or so having a wizard was top notch but I found making the kind of cleric option was very very lackluster. You would be better with a sword and boarder type. The two original companions you meet a little in were a wizard so you can have all the spell combinations and a dps singleweapon character. Gradually the healer eventually became the tank for me, better to build that from the start i thought by the end of the game.

This is a bit outdated as they added a rogue and a ranger companion to the town as well, I think that was before EE even. Plus like you say, skills have also been rebalanced quite a bit since launch.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 19, 2015

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kanfy posted:

This is a bit outdated as they added a rogue and a ranger companion to the town as well, I think that was before EE even. Plus like you say, skills have also been rebalanced quite a bit since launch.

There's a pretty huge range of henchman companions available as well, if you don't like the 4 properly written party members. They don't say anything or have dialogue, but you can fill pretty much any roll with one of them.

Other tips:

- Have one point of blacksmith on someone and give them a repair hammer, they can repair anyone's gear, so it won't break. You don't even need to transfer it to the blacksmith's inventory, just select repair and it's all automated. Hilariously, you can even repair gear like this mid-battle, making the whole breakable gear thing utterly pointless.
- It's a good idea to have access to all 4 main elements: fire, water, air and earth. The simplest (and recommended) way to do this is to have 2 mages covering 2 schools of magic each, but archers and other characters can use special arrows and grenades in a pinch.
- Lock Picking seems like a poor investment, I never took it and had far more loot than I needed, same with pick-pocket.
- Always pay attention to what's on the floor, moving through fire, electrified water or poison gas can really ruin your day
- Pay attention to what quest givers say, quite often dialogue will give you vital information that can really screw you over if you skip over it
- If you're short on money, then sneakily stealing art and crockery from round town is a legit way of making sure you can afford all the skill books and things you need
- A lot has changed in the new Enhanced Addition and most of the guides online haven't caught up, so using walkthroughs when you get stuck won't always work

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

African AIDS cum posted:

Playing Castlevania SOTN for the first time, just wandering around not knowing what I'm doing. Got to a boss I can't beat. Anything I should know about?

Knives and fists are pretty much the most powerful kind of weapons you can get in the first half of the game, if you're willing to get in close. It's risky, but if you're close enough to touch the enemy with your elbow you'll do about 3-4 hits a seconds, somehow. I think the Combat Knife is the strongest knife in the first half, but it has a dumb double-swing animation if you're standing still, so you'll have to duck and hold forward if you want to do rapid hits.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pneub posted:

Knives and fists are pretty much the most powerful kind of weapons you can get in the first half of the game, if you're willing to get in close.

If you want a really nice weapon and don't mind grinding, though, the Chakrams that the Disc Lords in the catacombs(?) drop are wonderful. You can throw two returning projectiles at once per equipment slot, decent damage... they're nowhere near the most powerful weapon in the game, but they're definitely my favorite as utility goes plus how fun they are to use.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Another SOTN question. Whats with weapons you get that you can only use once? I just got magic missile and tried it once and its gone. Did I do something wrong?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

African AIDS cum posted:

Another SOTN question. Whats with weapons you get that you can only use once? I just got magic missile and tried it once and its gone. Did I do something wrong?

They're used once, yeah. They're generally ranged have high attack.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

African AIDS cum posted:

It... wasn't the most carefully planned game by all official accounts. Although after you beat dracula you unlock a $200,000 accesorry that makes all single-use items infinite.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Some weapons also have special moves/attacks associated with them, too. Most are either back, forward, attack or the classic Hadouken. Fist of Tulkas for example has two: a fireball and fist flurry

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

African AIDS cum posted:

Anything with the [use] tag is a consumable item.

Primitive Screwhead
Dec 11, 2007
Yes sir, listening. No sir, no touching.

Pneub posted:

It... wasn't the most carefully planned game by all official accounts. Although after you beat dracula you unlock a $200,000 accesorry that makes all single-use items infinite.

What sorcery is this? I must have played through the game a dozen times at least.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Primitive Screwhead posted:

What sorcery is this? I must have played through the game a dozen times at least.

They're talking about the Duplicator which can be bought from the Master Librarian for $500,000 in a cleared game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I think it's not strictly in a cleared game; you just have to have a cleared save to unlock it in all new games as well.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

The White Dragon posted:

If you want a really nice weapon and don't mind grinding, though, the Chakrams that the Disc Lords in the catacombs(?) drop are wonderful. You can throw two returning projectiles at once per equipment slot, decent damage... they're nowhere near the most powerful weapon in the game, but they're definitely my favorite as utility goes plus how fun they are to use.

You can get an even better version of the Chakrams if you feel like grinding on the Cloaked Armor in the Clock Tower for a couple hours, way before the game actually picks up in difficulty. SOTN has a hosed up amount of options for doing things.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Should I be able to go completely stealthy in Sniper Elite V2 or am I always going to have to fight off a horde of guys after picking off 1 or 2 with the rifle? I was expecting to be a stealthy sniper that only has to fight guys off with my alternate weapons if I made a serious mistake but maybe that is not the normal gameplay loop.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

owl_pellet posted:

Should I be able to go completely stealthy in Sniper Elite V2 or am I always going to have to fight off a horde of guys after picking off 1 or 2 with the rifle? I was expecting to be a stealthy sniper that only has to fight guys off with my alternate weapons if I made a serious mistake but maybe that is not the normal gameplay loop.

V2 doesn't have real stealth mechanics. If you so much as fart, every guy in the county will know where you are at all times. If that's a deal breaker but you still want to shoot Nazi balls, V3 implemented proper awareness and repositioning mechanics, and it's very possible to stealth through.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Just started the inverted castle in SOTN, whats the item called that shows the full map when I hit select? I need to go find it, hard to go back to stumbling around blind.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

African AIDS cum posted:

Just started the inverted castle in SOTN, whats the item called that shows the full map when I hit select? I need to go find it, hard to go back to stumbling around blind.

There isn't a buyable map like in the first castle.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anything for The Last Of Us (Remastered)? I started the game, put it down for a few months, now I'm in a dilapidated collapsing office building with a clicker and half a dozen runners and I have no goddamn idea how I'm supposed to make it through with the absurdly lovely supplies I have on hand.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pneub posted:

There isn't a buyable map like in the first castle.

Fortunately, if you have a map of the first castle, you have a map of the second castle :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Anything for The Last Of Us (Remastered)? I started the game, put it down for a few months, now I'm in a dilapidated collapsing office building with a clicker and half a dozen runners and I have no goddamn idea how I'm supposed to make it through with the absurdly lovely supplies I have on hand.

This is probably the hardest part in the game because you're so ill equipped for it, the clicker has its back to the wall so you can't stealth kill, and there are two patrolling runners that inevitably cross your path. I'd say the best thing to do is take out the runners around the corner (standing directly in front of the clicker). Then toss a bottle or brick to distract the clicker and make a mad dash to the platform you're supposed to climb to continue (facing the clicker it's behind it to the right). From here the runners will chase after you but they have to climb up the platform one at a time. Save your ammo for the clicker which should be madly flailing about.

-Best way to avoid clickers altogether is use the crouch-walk. You're completely silent and they won't notice you unless you bump into them.

-Throwing bricks/bottles at runners (and later humans) stuns them which lets you auto-kill with the next melee attack.

-You'll first reach a workbench in the Museum basement but save your parts until later. Your first upgrade should be the holsters. The game favors ammo drops for weapons you're holding so having two more weapons means a better spread of ammo.

-The clicker-shiv ability is the weakest IMO. Shivs are a limited resource that also act as treasure keys. This ability wastes one and doesn't even kill the clicker that's attacking you. Beyond the first encounter you'll rarely be forced to fight clickers, they're almost always avoidable or can be stealth killed.

-Soon you'll get the bow which is the infected killer. A single head shot kills clickers. It's 100% silent and attracts all infected to the spot if you fire an arrow at the ground.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 23, 2015

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Also, firebombs are your best friend. Throw a molly at a clicker or regular zombie and all the others will swarm towards it, getting caught in the blaze. You can easily take out 3-4 zombies (the one you hit, plus any lookie-loos) in a single area, more if you're lucky. There's also a couple of training manuals that'll upgrade their blast radius, so keep an eye out for those. They're not as effective against humans though, so try to exhaust your other option first.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also, firebombs are your best friend. Throw a molly at a clicker or regular zombie and all the others will swarm towards it, getting caught in the blaze. You can easily take out 3-4 zombies (the one you hit, plus any lookie-loos) in a single area, more if you're lucky. There's also a couple of training manuals that'll upgrade their blast radius, so keep an eye out for those. They're not as effective against humans though, so try to exhaust your other option first.

Molotovs are also fantastic for deep-frying Bloaters while you run and hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Oldie, but anything for Ghost Trick?