Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

SiKboy posted:

If it tells you that your convoy is under attack (shipping stuff to shops for money) and you need to defend it, it wont initially show you where it is. Its in the frontier, so fast travel there. Once you are in the frontier the marker will show up.

Some of the chases are apparently ridiculous, but the only one I have had a problem with so far I took another goons advice and hit the dude with a poison dart. That slowed him enough to catch him.

The peg leg collectable missions are actually fairly fun and a decent length, so they are worth doing.

They just released a patch that made chases easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

SkySteak posted:

What general things should I know about Just Cause 2?

Play for a few hours and then go download mods that remove annoying stuff like the blackmarket helicopter cutscene and fixes the 100% bug.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm not too far into Xenoblade Chronicles, so you got anything for me on that front?

Talk to all the townspeople a few times each, even at different times throughout the day.
Use the combo attack system as much as possible. You get more XP and drops when you kill guys with it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Derek Dominoe posted:

Just started playing Mass Effect. I checked the wiki, which gives some contradictory information. I have some specific questions.

1. I know somehow characters and decisions persist through the sequels. Will certain decisions end up costing me a lot of story in sequels? E.g., if you let such-and-such die, you miss a lot of cool dialogue/backstory/quests.

2. If you do multiple playthroughs with one character, can you complete multiple ally achievements? Do they all persist in the sequel?

3. For that matter, does any amount of min/maxing or achievements apply in any significant way to the sequels, or do you get a somewhat fresh start in terms of your character?

4. For party composition, how important is diversity? I'm really digging Wrex's and Garrus' dialogue, but they're kind of redundant for my soldier.

5. Can you switch Shepard's class on a subsequent playthrough without starting from scratch? I know soldier is supposedly the easiest for the first game, but is there any big story/content advantage to choosing a different class?

For background, my main interest in an RPG is usually getting the most story content. I generally don't have time for more than one or two playthroughs on most games these days, so I try to get the most out of each run. This often involves min/maxing mainly to unlock the maximum dialogue. I'm willing to do fetch quests if they unlock something really useful, new quests, etc. but not for crap like development artwork or something equally inane.

Conversely, if I'm not going to miss much by just pursuing stories/missions without trying to find every hidden piece of debris on each planet, then I'll just press forward.

People hit on most of this but heres a little more.

2 & 3: Ally Achievements dont carry over at all. As people said, level+P/R points give a bonus and the money achievement gives you some extra minerals and credits to start off in ME2.

4: Choose whoever you want but Garrus with the ability to unlock doors/etc maxed out helps.

5: Bioware didnt want class factor in to the story (Shepard will never use biotics in cutscenes) so its not even mentioned ever, play what you want.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Luisfe posted:

Anything I should know about Chivalry: Medieval Warfare?

If you yell while standing/walking, you taunt. So sprint everywhere and mash the yell button for the true Chivalry experience.

KoB
May 1, 2009

CowboyKid posted:

Just got Binary Domain. Heard good things.

What should I know?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blowing robots to pieces gets you more credits than a mere kill. Just keep shooting as they fall to knock pieces off. It'll also give you a Trust bonus to your active squadmates. Oh and keep rotating them around - the squad trust meters affect the ending somewhat.

Also, use BIG BOOOOOOO and the English guys while you can, you get stuck with the Japanese sniper and another guy for like the middle 1/3 or 1/2 of the game, so it can be tough to increase their trust if you didnt at the beginning.

KoB
May 1, 2009

pentyne posted:

in addition to her being blindingly stupid about Shepard and Cerberus, to the point where While Udina is setting up the Council to die and tells Ashley to protect them she'll back him and either Shep or Garrus can shoot her.

Im pretty sure this is the same for either of them.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Are there any mods I just need for Just Cause 2 before I start playing?

Bolo mod for unbreakable tethers and long tethers. There are mods to cut out the delay for the black market as well.

KoB
May 1, 2009

NaDy posted:

Just bought Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition for cheap on steam. Never played it before, put about 30 mins into it so far as a human warrior (yes boring) and I'd love some essential tips. The combat isn't what I'm used to and if there are any skills to avoid or get quickly let me know. Any other advice is greatly appreciated too. Thanks!

Two handers arent very good.

e: I'd recommend getting a respec mod, just because shapeshifter on Morrigan is useless. There's also a mod that gives Sten his additional Specialization point which is good if you want to use him (for some reason he just doesn't get his first one).

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 25, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009
Anything for Din’s Curse?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

There is a woman who will ask you if she should burn a plant or secretly plant it. You must tell her to secretly plant it. It's fine if you miss her, she will show up in a different location later and is always accessible. But above all you must not tell her to burn it, or you will miss out on a big sidequest.

I will also agree regarding the black box treasure chests and Ayla's Charm ability (basically, never take Ayla out of your party and Charm every boss). Just to elaborate further on the black chest thing, I believe it only applies to ones in 600 AD. And you must try to open them in 600 AD first, specifically select "No" when prompted, and then re-try in 1000 AD. Then you'll get the powered-up item. It won't work if you skip straight to 1000 AD.

Just to be clear, you can then go back to 600 and collect them again for twice the loot. Dont worry about paradoxes or anything.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im just starting out on the new Tomb Raider. Any tips where I should allocate skill points or upgrades early in the game?

KoB
May 1, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

Any tips for Dragon Age Origins (on steam, the complete edition with all the DLC), beyond what's on the wiki? In particular, with all that DLC, when and how do I access it (like when can I get the golem companion, for example)?

I think the DLC is kind of broken since they shut down the servers.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Twitch posted:

Sorry if this has been covered already, but what should I do about properties in GTA5 to keep from screwing myself over? I've only done one heist, and I've played far enough that I have all three characters. So far the only properties I've bought are the gun running hangar for Trevor, and Franklin bought the weed store, because I switched to him and he was working out at the beach nearby when he got his cut of the heist, and immediately walking across the street and buying a dispensary seemed funny.

Basically, I figured I'd try to spread the properties between all three characters, will this be good enough?

People seem to say just keep all the money and dont do the assassination missions (Lestor's) until after the last heist. Then do the assassination missions with all that money, getting stock in the appropriate companies.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cliff posted:

The extended cut and the original endings are more or less exactly the same. The extended cut just adds a fourth ending you can choose. You will feel deeply unsatisfied regardless.

They add some other bits that make it make more sense.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I disagree about the EXP-Share, grinding is a loving chore. Just use it and use whatever monsters you want (i.e. the ones that are fuckin rad looking).

KoB
May 1, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I've heard Tales of Graces F can be the wrong side of grindy, especially for Skill Points. Is it worth getting the double SP DLC for that? Anything else not on the Wiki worth remembering?

You arent meant to max out your characters in Tales games unless youre playing on super hard or just feel like it for shits n giggles. You can get to level 200 or more but the main game usually ends before you'd get to 100 when playing normally.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Anything for Valdis Story: Abyssal City?

KoB
May 1, 2009

McCoy Pauley posted:

So I tried Starbound last night and realized I basically had no idea what the hell is going on, have barely touched Terraria, and having never played minecraft or similar games. Any basic tips or strategies for starting out? Like namely what to do and how to do it. I got as far as cooking some meat, and then I had my guy make a bed, but I was feeling lost as to what my general goal should be.

Make a pickaxe & axe as soon as possible, strip mine the surface of the planet, throw your coal (you can make charcoal at the furnace with wood as well) into your spaceship and fly away. Repeat.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

100000000? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get past adventurer.

Just go as fast as possible and match anything, since everything is beneficial in some way. Focus on weapons if you need to, but generally just match as fast as you can.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Oh hey - that IS an issue I have. Thanks. Anything for quicker elevator rides?

Oh yeah - I seem to remember some builds posted in this thread (a thing about endless non-overheating sniping?) but I can't find them at the moment.

Theyre not player builds, you can just use the best weapons with heatsinks and just never stop shooting.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Did they hella buff the difficulty in D2 or something? This sounds completely different from what I played like a decade ago.

KoB
May 1, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Was playing through Just Cause 2 and I sort of started cheating by unlocking all of the black market.

Is it worth it to start over without cheating? Does it feel grindy to unlocking all the weapon upgrades or is it just busy work before you can start having real fun?

The fun part is loving around. The most popular mods just unlock everything in the Black Market and make it more accessible. Have fun! That game is super dumb in the best ways.

KoB
May 1, 2009

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Any tips for Persona 4 G? 2 and 3 are in the OP but not 4...

Constantly fuse new personas. You'll get the largest boost from just making new ones than leveling up early on.

When hanging with friends, make sure you have their persona arcana with you, you get a boost to S-link experience.

either pick the S-Links you're interested in and max those or follow a guide to max all the S-links if you really want to max them all. I would recommend just playing it through doing whatever you want though. If youre hankering for a 2nd playthrough, do it then.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Anything I should know for Divinity: Original Sin?

KoB
May 1, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Offhand, here's what I remember, others will probably have more:

-triad experience is harder to max out than cop experience
-get arm/leg break to make crowd control much easier and also they're awesome
-use environmental hazards all the time
-there's this one mission where you defeat monks at a temple; it's endless and you don't have to keep fighting forever
-listen to the radio all the time because it's awesome
-for the surveillance missions, I believe you can activate a bunch of cameras before going home so you can just do all the surveillance bits at the same time instead of running home for each one
-you're not a man unless you have a pork bun in your hand

-Always smack people with your car door.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

Does anyone have anything for Defender's Quest?

Dont be afraid to play levels at low difficulty and then come back for the stars on harder difficulty.

Archers are the best unit so prioritize getting them new bows over other units.

I dont find armor particularly useful until harder difficulties.

Fire will remove Ice debuffs so Im not a fan of the Dragons either. The Ice mages are probably most important after Archers, then Knights for armor removal.

If youre really early on, replay levels for XP.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I'm about to play regular Skyrim (no mods) on the PC. Played through it a bit before, didn't really get into it, felt kind of bland, in a way that's sort of difficult to describe, but I'd like to give it another shot. Are there any mods people would recommend to make it better, as well as any mods in general that improve the overall nature of the game (like...uh, SkyUI I think it was called)?

Something that made magic not completely terrible would be nice, but anything is good too.

Jump in and just play. Then when you go "You know I wish _______ was more like this", go get a mod that does that.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Getsuya posted:

Could I get some beginner tips for the Super Robot Wars series? I've been getting into it after starting to read some of the LPs around here, and some Japanese friends told me it's best to start from Alpha so that's where I'm at right now; about 5-6 missions into the first Alpha game. My main questions are:

- How the hell do I know which units to upgrade and which are just going to be dead weight? I don't know enough about old mecha shows to know who is a main character and who is support. I mean yeah it's obvious when they're piloting the title mech, but a lot of the Gundam shows seem to just have a whole cluster of folks in mechs with random names and I don't know if I'm supposed to ignore them and just focus on main characters or not.

- Is there a way to actually predict how much damage you're going to do? The numbers next to each attack seem to be only good for telling which attack does more damage than the other, not how much it's actually going to do against any given enemy. I keep thinking 'oh this enemy has 1500 health left, I should be able to take it out with this 1800 attack... nope'

- Should I sweat over getting the secret/hidden stuff or not? I'm doing all the special hidden point things just because they're stupid easy but some of the secret character/mech things seem to be a lot of trouble, and if they're not necessary to my enjoyment of the game I'll just ignore them.

- Should I be saving my points or spending them between each battle? I know the mantra of 'supers get armor, EN and HP/reals get EN and Dodge' but I'm curious if it's actually necessary to spend all my points between each round buffing up the guys I have, or should I wait until later and buff up all my units once I have them all? Or something?

- Finally, are there any other 'you must play this Super Robot Taisen game or you're not getting the real experience' games in the series? I'm planning on just reading the LPs of the Z series (assuming they do all the way through it), but any other one I'm open to getting, and I can get pretty much any of them really easily so whichever one folks suggest I'll probably just pick it up.

Sorry I don't know how much this thread talks about import games or if there's a SRW expert around to answer these questions but if someone could that'd be awesome.

We have a thread as well thats always cool about giving advice: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621713

KoB
May 1, 2009
e: crap, I meant to edit this into my last post :v:

Getsuya posted:

- Is there a way to actually predict how much damage you're going to do? The numbers next to each attack seem to be only good for telling which attack does more damage than the other, not how much it's actually going to do against any given enemy. I keep thinking 'oh this enemy has 1500 health left, I should be able to take it out with this 1800 attack... nope'

Unfortunately, not really. Its easy to get a feel for it over the course of the game, but it changes each game as things are revamped. Theres quite a lot going into damage output: mech attack power, pilot stats, morale, spirits, friendship/love bonus, special abilities (Mazin Power, Lambda Driver), etc.

quote:

- Finally, are there any other 'you must play this Super Robot Taisen game or you're not getting the real experience' games in the series? I'm planning on just reading the LPs of the Z series (assuming they do all the way through it), but any other one I'm open to getting, and I can get pretty much any of them really easily so whichever one folks suggest I'll probably just pick it up.

SRW Z is still fantastic and OGs 2nd (this is separate from SRW OG2 on the GBA) is one of the best games in the series.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I believe the Arcane Art has to hit for the Mystic Arte to activate?

Yes.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Okay I have no idea what I'm doing wrong with this game but I'm in the Tower of Ishal without any real agency over what my party is capable of and the very first fight I have to use items faster than the game lets me. I must be doing something horribly wrong.

(I also have powerful but I'm not going to take another screenshot just to show it)

I'm at a loss as to what I could be doing wrong. I can't go blowing through my items this fast since there doesn't seem to be a way to get any more and... the game just won't let me. Is there something I could be missing?

Get Cone of Cold on the mage. Use that a lot.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Going to go ahead and second the guy that said buffs and debuffs are actually useful. Theyre really useful.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

The devs just patched the game to change data files and make it harder to mod, and they sent takedown notices to all the mods online they could find.

Kinda dickish.

They claim they took those down to protect the online multiplayer they have coming, but are putting in some kind of mod support for single/Co-op play.

KoB
May 1, 2009

me your dad posted:

Is there a good first-time guide for Diablo 3? I just started playing the Ultimate Evil ed. on the PS4. I have never touched a Diablo game before this.

Diablo isnt that hard, dont worry about it. Theres no choices during level up until youre 60+. While running through the game the first time just choose whatever character you want and experiment with skills and runes to see what you like. If you want to delve deeper and sperg out about min/maxing check it out once youre 60.

You can change the difficulty on the fly. Just start on normal to get the hang of it but you can probably bump it up to Hard pretty quick. Hard is still pretty simple and nets you bonus xp/drops. Adjust it until it feels good, you can change it any time.

I recommend playing with friends if theyve got the game.

KoB fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 21, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Well I was able to refund it, so whatever.

You should definitely play Cities though.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Anything for Yakuza 5?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Persona 5

You dont need the matching Arcana for Sun/Moon, they will level up every time regardless.

KoB
May 1, 2009

al-azad posted:

The joke is he's a cat so of course he doesn't want to do poo poo.

Hes not a cat!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

One more tip for Persona that I missed, hitting square on the quick travel screen will show you which bonds are available in that area!

This is also explicitly said in game with a popup tutorial.