Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Orvin posted:

Thanks for this. I eventually figured out that the game auto targets an enemy ship in the middle of the formation, which greatly reduces you accuracy. You need to remember to target something at the front of an enimies formation at the start of battle.

The game is still pretty hard in the second area, and I am. It sure that grinding is going to get me much just yet.

The game goes through peaks and valleys w/r/t difficulty. Usually when you get to an area with better ship types or when a fleet size upgrade is around the corner.

Also there are a fuckton of modules, blueprints and crew hidden everywhere. I guarentee even if you're going over every area after every plot beat you'll probably still miss a bunch of them. Guides are helpful if you want to find stuff.

Like after a certain story trigger going in and out of the Help menu 30 times gets yoy a crew member with an insanely high melee stat and one of the best Cool+Calm skills in the game. Nothing hints at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

A Bag of Milk posted:

XCOM2 - when is the best time to install/play the dlc?

Enable the story missions for the Alien Rulers, it'll let you trigger them when you want as otherwise they'll show up without warning. I'd probably do the first mission once you have the first squad size upgrade since 4 dudes in conventional+Bradford have a fun and tough fight. Wait for Mag weapons if you have a harder time with the game, Rulers play by different rules and you have to play differently to beat them which is why the DLC is divisive.

Shen's Last Gift has a good, but tough, story mission. Probably want either both squad size upgrades or Mag weapons. Also bring a Grenadier with Shredder. Sharpshooters are basically deadweight on the mission as well so maybe avoid them.

This is all going to be changing with the new Expansion once its released as we know its modifying how the DLCs work.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Vidaeus posted:

Anything for Dishonored 2? The wiki is scarce. I just started, decided to choose Emily (only because she's different to Corvo in Dishonored 1) and got through to the safe house at the start. I think I want to do a stealthy but lethal playthrough first. Did I make the right choice picking Emily?

Emily's got a super fun powerset. You really can't go wrong with either character, they're both good.

Emily definitely makes more sense as the protagonist storywise a well.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

gently caress it, I'm gonna add a tip in ME3 about the Indoctrination Theory.

Or you could not be a weird goon about it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

I always liked the Omega one for ME3, but that's mainly because it unlocks an absurdly OP biotic skill. Also, Captain Anderson had a girlfriend??

Kahlee Sanders. She shows up in the Grissom academy mission with Jack and does a pretty low key "Tell David not to die" thing. Also she helped him investigate Saren back when he was getting considered for Spectreship when that blew up.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

im cute posted:

I'd also like to know. I wrote up a short thing from the demo, but the demo is really limited, so...

I'll crosspost my answer from the main MH thread.

Zore posted:

Heavier and smellier eggs are better. Heavier means more slots while smellier means better genes.

Make the Rathian or Pink Rathian sets as soon as you can. They increase the chance of a monster retreating which is the best way to get specific eggs.

On that note, the paintball effect that increases the chance for the monster to retreat lasts 3 turns so to maximize the chances have your hunter throw paintballs while your monstie chips the last of the opponent's health.
Ex
Qurupeco is god. Its ability generates encounters which lets you get in fights with rare spawns a hell of a lot easier than tracking them down. Ive literally never seen regular Rathian without it.

The patterns on the eggs tell you what monster they have. There's a visual guide on Gamefaqs if you're curious.

Your Rider quickly becomes support for your monster with rather anemic damage. Make sure you're doing sidequests to unlock support abilities for your weapons to keep them relevant.

The only monsters that aren't really endgame viable are the 1-2 star stuff; the *aggis, *dromes, Herbivores etc. They just lag too far behind stat-wise.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

im cute posted:

By the way, is there anything special to know before playing Fire Emblem Warriors as someone who’s played Hyrule Warriors and quite a lot of musou and FE games?

Pair up and the weapon triangle are really important. There are two kinds of break gauges, one is the lovely one that does single target damage and one is a yellow one that does a ton more damage and is AoE. You can normally only get the good break gauge if you have WTA or are in Awakening mode, but there are a few other things that can trigger it.

1) If your pair up partner has WTA against the opponent and you call them for a dual strike you they trigger a good break gauge
2) Bow Users and Tome Users have ways to trigger the good Break Gauge through their basic heavy attack since they're outside the weapon triangle. Bow Users need to fully charge up a H1 while Tome users fill a gauege while attacking. Once full, if they use an H1 it'll trigger the good break gauge. Importantly, these are the only way to trigger good breaks on Monsters/Manketes/Bows/Tomes unless you are in Awakening mode or have weapons that hit their weakenesses (mount slayer, dragon slayer etc).

Other than that the only thing you should really be aware of is the 'Topsy-Turvey' property which makes a weapon use the opposite stats and hit the opposite stats (Tomes use STR and hit DEF, other things use MAG and hit RES). Only really useful for Sakura since she has garbage strength and really good magic as a bow user, but it can help other people with middling magic if you're fighting Def heavy enemies.

Also there are a fuckton of clone movesets. Chrom/Lucina, Marth/Celica, Takumi/Sakura/Anna, Caeda/Cordelia/Hinoka and Leo/Elise all share movesets and most of them have similar stats so you can basically ignore the ones you don't like.

Promotion is just a flat stat increase and unlocks the final 2 normal combo moves and some badges, do it whenever. It doesn't reset levels. It also unlocks hilariously bad costume changes for people who were promoted in their original game, but you can change costumes at any time.

Importantly everyone can learn every skill, but to unlock it on everyone's badge board you need to unlock it with its unique character first. This also costs way fewer resources. So if you want to get Luna on, say, Takumi, you need to unlock it with Chrom first.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 31, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mayor McCheese posted:

Dishonored 2 has a bunch of helpful tips on the wiki, but I have a few questions:

Does it matter who you pick when you start the game?

How crucial is it to keep primary objective targets alive? I played the first one with ultra low chaos levels and I found that method to be a pain/tedious. I kind of just want to only kill when I need to and to occasionally murder targets.

Yeah, Emily and Corvo have completely different powersets. Corvo basically has all his Dishonored 1 stuff back with a few new tricks while Emily is completely different.

Corvo also has more/better tools to go loud with while Emily's powers tend to complement stealth a bit more. Either one is good at both though, so play however you want.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kenny Logins posted:

The second one is much less difficult than the first and has a decently developed stealth takedown mechanic. The tone and method the story is told is considerably lighter and different as well.

It's fun but like sale fun.

It does sort of retroactively ruin the first game's protagonist for no real reason which kind of annoyed me, but you don't play Prototype for its plot so :shrug:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

What, you didn't like the scene where Chie tries to hook her best friend up with some transfer student they just met a few hours ago?

It was okay, but she should have been able to tell Yosuke was too in the closet to deal with it openly.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There are I think 2 or 3 voiced party members with backstories and set builds, and you also eventually get the ability to hire faceless mercs with more customized builds to round your party out. You can even do some settings fuckery to make them playable too (4 player coop)

There are 4 voiced party members (A Water/Air Mage, Two handed warrior, Bow person and Dual Dagger thief)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Picking up Tales of Symphonia for the first time in ages, but I've totally forgotten how the Exsphere stuff works. What should I be going for per character in the T/S scale? And how is it I unlock personal skills?

Look at a guide because the personal skills tend to be locked behind stupid combinations you probably wouldn't figure out on your own.

The general trend for the T/S scale is

Lloyd- T
Collete- S
Genis- T
Raine- T
Kratos/Zelos- S
Sheena- S
Presea- T
Regal- T

You can also do fun meta-gaming for some of them and get Raine's S attack spells and T healing spells, or go full T until you want Heavy Tiger Blade for Lloyd but its dumb and you shouldn't bother.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tollymain posted:

iirc you can't knock out or incapacitate somebody with physical force on a time scale longer than seconds without seriously injuring them, so

You can't knock people out period without risk of serious injury. Getting knocked out is really loving bad for your brain.

And you only have to look at that Russian hostage situation where they pumped in knock out gas and killed over 200 hostages because getting the right does of tranquilizer to knock someone out and not kill them is difficult.

video games obviously abstract this for the same reason your sword can mostly phase through armor or not get caught on muscle and bone when you hit someone. Because real life violence is horrific.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

So I recently received a copy of Fire Emblem: Awakening and was told I had to play. I don't know the first thing about Fire Emblem omgwhatdoido?

Heads up that Chrom will get married via plot after chapter 12 even if you don't try to pair him with anyone. His marriage options are Sully, Olivia, Sumia, female Robin, and Maribelle. Whoever has the highest support level at the end of Chapter 12 just gets instantly promoted to S rank (you gain support points by having units involved in battle while next to or paired up with other units). It's really easy to make sure he ends up with whoever you like... Except Olivia since she joins on the chapter it's determined so if anyone else has even some support with Chrom you aren't getting her.

Also in general pairing your units up will get you extra maps and units.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

They changed the way the rulers worked thankfully, they get 2 actions for all of your squad actions, rather than a 1-1 ratio.Also they only show up when you are attacking facilities so they won't normally appear anyway.

No they didn't change Rulers in that way. They work the almost exactly same they just don't get a reaction for reload or actions outside their LOS anymore.

You can avoid them in 3 ways.

1) delete the DLC
2) don't integrate the DLC and never do the mission where you trigger them
3) integrate the DLC and never attack the specific facilities you get a pop up warning to show they're guarding them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

They did change them in that way too, rulers only get reaction turn with 25% chance when your soldier does an action(that's in addition to excluding reload and out of sight actions). Rulers are pushovers by comparison to what they were in original DLC release because then ruler reaction triggered every time you did anything.

Are you sure that isn't a mod you have on.

I played a few days ago and they still got reactions to everything in their LOS. I also know there's a mod that works as you describe.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyone for Warhammer 40K: mechanicus? Just came out but haven't found many impressions online.

Its fun but pretty buggy and really easy to break over your knee once you understand the combat system. Grab the level 1 perk that has your dudes generate insight every turn and you won't have any issues rolling through it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Nohman posted:

Anything I should know going into the new Spider-Man?

If you care about getting Platinum use your challenge tokens to buy all the suits before upgrading any of your gadgets. Getting Gold on challenges is hard as hell, but you can get Platinum with mostly Silvers as long as you prioritize suits.

Get the upgrade that improves your Spider-Sense ASAP. Its super useful.

Otherwise its really hard to go wrong. Its a really fantastic game and nothing's missable or anything.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tylana posted:

I... would suggest the opposite, kinda.

Get one suit power you like. Maybe prioritise whatever passive bonuses you like (I seem to recall you can only equip 3?). But the gadgets are pretty solid.

The advice mostly comes from people who want to plat without getting all golds in the Taskmaster challenges. Since you needed all suits but a more limited number of gadget upgrades the advice in the Spiderman thread was just not to buy Gadget stuff until you had all the suits since you could otherwise be stuck trying to grind out the tokens on the hellishly difficult challenges for the last few suits.

With the DLC that isn't really an issue any more, and it never was if you were okay with not having some suits unlocked.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Emily also has a bunch of less lethal powers than Corvo does so it doesn't lock out as much of your arsenal if you want to go low chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm playing Persona 4 Golden and the wiki says to not even bother trying to max out all the social links on your first run through the game unless you want to follow a guide (I don't). However, having played Persona 5, and knowing that I don't find grinding social stats (courage, expression, etc) to be fun, I used a trainer to just cheat them up to max so that I could focus on s-links and whatever other activities look fun on my first playthrough instead.

Assuming you don't need to worry about leveling the stats up, do I need to worry about prioritizing any of the S-links first to max them all out, or can I just sort of do whatever I want and be fine with time to spare? I know that Justice and Hierophant apparently disappear early, and "the school" ones disappear in summer (I'm not clear if this includes my fellow student party members or just the cultural and sports clubs though), but I'm not sure how tight the timing is on new game + (which if this works the same way p5 does, I effectively am after cheating)

(I could probably just use the trainer to max the links, but I do find leveling them up gradually to be more fun so I don't want to do that)

I guess I'm also curious if any of the S-Links are extremely missable entirely? I've found a few that only got unlocked behind optional activities but so far the game has pretty obviously telegraphed "hey you should go check this thing out!!" all of them. Are there any that I'm likely to miss if I'm not randomly talking to every NPC every day, or does the game do a good job of steering you towards them if you have half a brain?

Most are pretty obvious, but there are a few obscure ones like Death or Fortune you might need to look up.

Also if you cheat your stats to max you should pretty trivially be able to max all of them.