Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

The White Dragon posted:

3) Eventually, you'll run into Sadness and Fury status effects. Fury sucks because it gives you a flat 33% miss chance, so make sure to cure it whenever possible.

Don't listen to this, Fury makes your Limit bar charge faster and more Limits = more better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Don't kill yourself over getting boss steals in IX, it's helpful for sure but for example there are a couple of bosses that have an item in their Rare steal slot which equals 1/256 chance of successfully stealing it unless you have the Master Thief ability equipped. Almost everything you can steal you can also buy or find a little later on.

Even after all of these years I know just who you mean. gently caress you, Hilgigars, and your stupid goddamn Fairy Flute.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Ahundredbux posted:

I bought shadowrun: dragonfall during the steam sale, I've played plenty of turn based games before so is there something related to character build or team selection I should have in mind?

Gonna repost something I posted in the regular Shadowrun Returns thread, with some amendments.

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Let's round up what you should probably know at character creation: unless you have a preferred archetype, you might want to steer toward Rifle or Pistol Street Samurai, Decker/Rigger or Mage. A Street Samurai makes the best use of Cyberware by a mile and a Street Sam using a rifle is the highest single target damage you can get, or you can use Pistols to do cool gimmicky poo poo like using different pistols to dodge cooldowns and have better multi-target damage; Decker/Rigger because the one the game provides you with tends to rub people the wrong way and he's really, really poo poo at rigging because his drone was statted up using the original engine and it's a giant turkey shoot target that gets blown up if it gets so much as looked at and has a horrifically crappy gun; and Mage because you can't get one otherwise, not even as a Merc. The other bases are more or less covered or, if the character's stat block is lacking, their personality tends to make up for it for most people. Some more about these archetypes that's spoilery: another good reason to hem close to these archetypes is that, weapon-wise, a Rifle Street Samurai can get three or four Strength relatively easily from items and cyberware and be able to grab a Vindicator (minigun with AoE potential and very high damage, but at an accuracy penalty) for a relatively cheap 5 to 9 Karma investment and there's a gimmicky pistol called the Slapdash that has a hidden crit modifier that makes it especially potent in the hands of a character with high Pistol skill; as for Mages, one of your teammates eventually gets an ability that creates a leyline at a target location but the teammate himself can't really make good use of it so it's more or less you as a Mage or nothing. Etiquette-wise, depends what you want. If you want to skip fights, get Security and, to a lesser extent, Corporate. If you want to get more money, get Socialite. If you want early dialogue, get Gang. If you want late dialogue, get Academic. If you want to waste Etiquettes, grab Shadowrunner and Street.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

Can I make a hybrid build of Mage + Decking since you always have a datajack? Are there stats that synergize, or are they kind of down separate specializations?

You don't always have a Datajack, you just start with one free of charge if you put one point in Decking or Rigging at character creation. Unfortunately, if you want to run a Mage/Decker character in Dragonfall, you'll have to take a .5 Essence hit for said Datajack. This will reduce your max Spellbook slots by 1 and add 1 turn to all of your spell cooldowns. I've heard it's not a deal breaker in terms of effectiveness (and once you're down the .5 Essence, you might as well get another .5 worth of Cyberware installed to round down to 5 sharp) but caveat emptor and all that. Not sure what you mean by "stats that synergize", can you elaborate?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Ah, then no, Int is just a prerequisite. That said, though, if you're set on technomancing, go nuts. The extra cooldown turn won't kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Faerie Fortune posted:

Sorry if its come up recently but I picked up the Shadowrun Returns collection in the Steam sale and I know little about it except that Hong Kong is the best one apparently? Is there anything super important I should know as someone who hasn't played anything Shadowrun ever? Should I start with the base game and then move on to the expansions or just skip straight to whichever one is considered the best?

"The best one" is either Dragonfall or Hong Kong, depending on your tastes. Both have things they do better than the other; HK benefits from iteration, tweaking and improving on some things thanks to the benefit of hindsight, mainly game mechanics, but there's an argument to be made that Dragonfall is where they used up their best quest/storyline ideas. Both games are great and a must-play, IMO. The first one is considerably rougher. Without going too deep into it, it definitely feels like the "crawl" in "crawl, walk, and then run". It's playable, but far from great. I'd recommend playing them in order so that you don't end up missing the quality of life improvements whose absence you might feel by going backwards and if you ever feel like the first one is a bit of a slog or is not gripping you, don't be too afraid to put it away and move on to Dragonfall. I promise you that it gets a whole lot better.

There's not too much you absolutely have to go on going into the games other than that. Character creation is probably where you might get tripped up, but even that's relatively forgiving. Broadly speaking, magic and technology are largely incompatible due to a mechanic called Essence, where the more tech you have in your body the longer your spells go on cooldown and the fewer spells you can equip, and the Karma mechanic (basically experience) will likely only allow you to be highly proficient in two skill sets at most. More or less any build can work as long as you pick one skill set or two "compatible" ones and don't spread yourself too thin. If you don't have any archetype preference and just want to be optimal, however, here are my recommendations:

Dead Man's Switch: Rifle Street Samurai/Decker. There's enough karma to go around to keep your Rifle and Decking skills high and there are some mandatory Decking sections where having your character be a Decker is a solid boon.
Dragonfall: Rifle/Pistol Street Samurai, Decker/Rigger (either or both), Mage. Specializing in long range firearms is always a solid option and this game has some good Pistols specifically; you have a serviceable Decker you can bring along but people tend to dislike him; and your team covers every archetype but Mage and your Shaman eventually gets a spell that generates a ley line somewhere on the map but he can't really make good use of it so it's kind of wasted if you aren't a Mage.
Hong Kong: Rifle/Melee Street Samurai, Sword Adept, Decker/Rigger, Mage, Decker/Mage. More or less the same as Dragonfall but this time around there are enough goodies, like Cyberweapons and magical swords, to make a melee build competitive, and the introduction of the Cyberware Affinity skill allows a character to pick up extra Essence points, allowing a Mage to install a Datajack without taking an Essence hit for a modest investment in the skill. Also, if you're going guns, we're back to Rifles or bust. There are some disgustingly good Rifles in this game.