Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Colon V posted:

Check the wiki for some other basic tips, but, the first ones that come to mind:
-Robotanks are both kind of buggy and kind of worthless. Just bring a Rookie instead, they're cheaper, easier to replace, and might actually get better at some point.

S.H.I.V.'s were patched and now they work as-designed. They're brilliant mobile cover. Oh and a good pair of skills for Snipers is Squadsight and drat Good Ground. Put them somewhere atop a hill or building and watch them murder anything your team can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

You have a choice at that rank between squad sight and an ability that lets you move and shoot on the same turn; if you're like me, you might be dumb and think "oh, well, snipers were annoying to manage because I couldn't move and shoot them on the same turn, so I'll take that ability of course!" on your first game, but that is the objectively wrong decision, you want squad sight. No, they can't move, but with squad sight, once they get set up in a good space, they don't really ever have to move (and they can shoot things that can't shoot them back).

Just as a general rule for theshim and anyone else getting into X-COM:EU, your snipers shouldn't be moving at all unless it's one of those maps with very narrow lines of sight. And even then, they should be at the rear of the group covering everyone else as they advance. Find somewhere high up with a good view of the map behind cover, and leave them there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

StashAugustine posted:

Dead Space. What should I put upgrades into? Do Rig upgrades stay if you get a new one?

- Always have your plasma cutter, and take the time to upgrade it. There's a reason it's possible to run through the entire game with just the Cutter and that's because it never stops being useful.

- The Line Gun is also worth holding onto and upgrading. It'll sweep away rows of limbs when you get hordes of Necromorphs charging at you (though do take the time to up it's firing rate as well as damage).

- You don't need many nodes in air - just one or two will do . Stasis duration and charges are moderately useful, but again you can get by with the default in a pinch. Kinesis isn't worth upgrading at all really as any puzzles that use it are built around its default range.

- The Pulse Gun's the only "real" gun. The secondary fire's close to useless, but it's a solid damage-dealer with lots of ammo per-clip as long as you remember to aim for the limbs.

- Above all else, stomp the poo poo out of everything - crates and corpses. Even if you think it's just a corpse left out as scenery stomp it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PJOmega posted:

I am restarting and it's been awhile. Does drat Good Ground play well with Archangel Armor?

No it doesn't. They have to be standing on actual ground for the bonus.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gynovore posted:

Also, be sure to visit the ladies' restroom before talking to Pritchard. :stare:

That's a new one for me. What's the reason?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Oh, and I hope you've been talking to your friends at the table, especially about Erica and Toby.

You should be talking to everyone in the bar each night. Hang out until closing, as some of them come in late, and make sure you've got a few bottles in you to make the climbing a bit easier.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RatHat posted:

Anything for Binary Domain?

Don't use Faye and Cain early on. You'll get plenty of time with them later, and affinity does affect some things.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I pretty much never stealthed in that game and I found it basically trivial on medium. I used a gamepad. The bow is very strong but there's no real reason not to just blast dudes apart with the assault rifle if that's how you feel like doing it.

I found the bow better, just for Napalm Arrows. One shot's an instakill :unsmigghh:.

(Spoiler is for one of the best story-given weapon upgrades in the game)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

theshim posted:

I've read the wiki entry, but does anyone have anything else to add for Xenoblade Chronicles?

Take the time to get the portable gem furnace, it saves a lot of back-and-forth'ing. If you want a really good easy pairing for gem crafting; stick Reyn in the first spot and Shulk in the second (can't remember the actual naming terms of the top of my head). Their relationship will max out pretty drat fast and that affects the gem creation quality quite a bit. Gem crafting itself is moderately simple - pick your cylinders, get something over 100 and you get a gem of that (200 gets you a gem a grade higher), anything else makes a fresh cylinder.

Oh and take the time to do some sidequesting, the game balances itself on the assumption you have. You don't have to do every last sidequest in every area, just do some as you go along. The story gives you a few spots where it's fairly blatant in saying "plot's taking a breather, go knock out some sidequests now if you like".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinity Gaia posted:

I dunno if that's particularly good advice, as some particularly annoying sidequests are also the ones that reward you with a new skill path or whatever they're called for your characters. Besides, Xenoblade is all about the sidequests, it's practically MMO-like in that way. Some of the best content in the game is in them, in my personal opinion. You don't need to sperg out on doing EVERY one, but try to do as many as you can handle, and keep the points of no return in mind. They're pretty clear and give you a dialog option to the effect of ARE YOU SURE YO?

Just to clarify; There are all of (maybe) three points of no return, and they're all for relatively small areas that are very obviously event-driven dungeons. You can freely backtrack about 95% of the places you visit in the game via the world map in the menu (the quick-travel map button only gives you locations for the area you're currently in).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doflamingo posted:

Got myself a PS3 and catching up on all the classics-- anything I should know about Valkyria Chronicles before I jump in? :)

Scouts are insanely abusable. Buff one up with the single-unit attack buff Order and they can kill most tank types if they have a clear shot at the engine grill on the back. Try to save some gold aside to keep an eye out for if the guy at the cemetery is in a teaching mood. Also Vyse and Aika should never leave your squad. Partly because they're both great units, and mostly because it's goddamn Vyse and Aika from Skies of Arcadia :allears:.

edit: Oh and at some point around the halfway (I think) point through the game, you'll be able to purchase some side-chapters. Do them. They'll give the character they're centered around an extra Perk for completing them.

:byodood:VEG-TA-BLES!.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 6, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

It's worth pointing out that cemetery guy takes EXP, not gold, and the "Squad 7's R&R" side mission doesn't net you anything except an empty wallet.

Agh, he does too :doh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tender Bender posted:

Related question, does this kind of scheme apply to Dishonored? I'm in the first mission and I don't want to check a guide but I'd be annoyed if I missed out on saving Captain so and so because I went to find Miss whatever first.

You can take your time. Those kinds of moments have triggers for when you arrive, so you have a few moments to gently caress with things before they step into the room/hide in a good ambush spot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SiKboy posted:

In the starting town (Goodsprings), stand facing the general store. To the left of it is a blue container that you wouldnt normally bother opening because its marked as "empty" (in the fallout games empty stuff is marked as empty so you dont have to waste time opening every wastebin in the game, just those which turn out to contain a nuka-cola bottle or an ashtray). Open it. As you are playing a courier, this is a drop box for the courier company. It does nothing.

The next town you come across to the south is Primm. In primm there is a courier office. It has another, identical, empty drop box. Open it.

Now you have opened 2 drop boxes, you can use them to ship stuff from one to the other. So take all your loot that you dont want to sell or carry, dump it in the drop box in Primm and it will be waiting for you whenever you want to pick it up at the drop box in Goodsprings and vice versa. There are other dropboxes in the game but you only need 2 to have been opened to use them for storage like that.

I've dumped over 50 hours into New Vegas and never knew about this :magical:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SnipeShow posted:

I just bought... Lego City: Undercover. Anything I should know before I pop them in?

Take some time to wander around each town and explore. Chances are you'll run into something that nets you a fancy new disguise or super bricks.

There's several Red Bricks worth hunting down that unlock the ability to scan for disguises, red bricks and super bricks at a distance with the gamepad.

Any mission with a super build will always give you enough super bricks to complete it. Just look around for things you can interact with, or places you haven't been through/destroyed everything.

Destroy EVERYTHING you can in Special Assignment. You never know what will be part of a badge piece goal or be used to rebuild into something else.

If you come across a door or device that says you lack the disguise needed in a Special Assignment, just leave it and go on. You can replay ones you've completed from the map and it's the only way to get the gdisguises/red bricks/badge piece tasks they usually block off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mierenneuker posted:

The best hunting rifle you can find is probably Lincoln's Repeater, which can be found in the Museum of History. It's in the middle of DC, but if you're doing the Galaxy News Radio quest you are in the neighborhood anyway.

The important thing to note with Lincoln's Repeater is that it doesn't use the standard rifle rounds - it uses 44. magnum rounds. Shoot someone in the head with it and they're going down a few hat sizes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpazmasterX posted:

There's one that you literally can't hit without taking damage.

Regen Pressens are the only thing that work on them without hurting you, but that first combo-starting neutral strike will still cause you damage.

owl_pellet posted:

Just got Remember Me from GameFly and there is nothing on the wiki. I'm mostly interested in knowing about crappy skills/abilities I should avoid and missable collectables/achievements. What should I know?

There's not much that isn't readily obvious. Just know that the game goes downhill in quality as it progresses and if you enjoy that first Memory Remix, the rest don't turn up until the last quarter of the game. Also hits take a second or two to complete, so don't buttonmash your way through a combo. And abuse your S-Pressens. They recharge pretty fast (and faster still with the right Pressen strikes in the right place in a combo), so there's no reason not to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonny Angel posted:

So my buddy and I just picked up Halo 4 and we're doing split-screen co-op through the entire Spartan Ops mode. The only FPSes I've played before are RPG-type ones (Deus Ex and Borderlands serieses) and class-based ones where I can avoid having to actually be a gunfighter (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory). What do I need to know in order to not be a horrible burden on my co-op partner? I assume a lot of it is just gonna be "You'll suck initially, but you'll figure out a feel for when and how to engage" territory, but are there specific things to the franchise that'll serve me well?

Basic Stuff (ie; this applies to any Halo game)

Plasma weapons (mainly the Storm Rifle) do nasty things to shields. A Plasma Pistol might not seem all that useful, but a fully-charged shot will take down an Elite's shields (it'll also EMP a vehicle) and give you a clean shot at killing them before they recharge. Generally you want a plasma weapon and a projectile one as your carried pair.

Whenever possible, don't use the basic Assault Rifle - use either the Pistol (make sure you've got a good weapon other than this, because it's not good for anything BUT shooting weaker enemies in the head), the Battle Rifle (three-round burst) or the DMR (semi-automatic rifle with a 15-round clip). Grunts (the little dwarf dudes with gasmasks) and Jackals (the ones that look like lizards or featherless birds) both go down to a single headshot from any those weapons. You need to learn to headshot them (and hold onto something to do this with) so you can clear them out quickly and give yourself breathing room for the real threats - Elites (the armored dudes about your size with an energy shield like your own). Elites will also die to a single headshot once their shields are down, incidentally. As a side-note, if you see a Gauss Rifle don't bother with it - you can hold gently caress-all ammo for it and it's rare enough that it's never worth using.

Also, Grunts might look comical but they will gently caress you up if there's enough of them (hence headshotting ASAP). Some of them come packing Fuel Rod Guns (basically rocket launchers, and well worth making use of yourself) and they will ruin your day if you're not careful. The Birthday Skull is really worth having active while you play, simply because you'll know when you've shot a Grunt in the face from the little puff of fireworks and children shouting "hurray!" (Never gets old, I swear). Also Plasma Grenades EMP vehicles, so be careful if you're driving something around near Grunts.

Also, it's not stated anywhere but you can hijack Wraith tanks. Kill the gunner, jump aboard if you dare when the prompt appears (careful that it doesn't ram you down), then ignore the prompt to plant a grenade and start pressing the Melee button instead. Even odds that the pilot dies before the Wraith does. If you can pull it off, get in and enjoy the best vehicle in the game.

Forerunner Stuff
The Forerunner pistol's overcharge is largely worthless. It's only real use is the same as the Marine Pistol - headshots. Crawlers (the dudes on four legs) go down in one hit if you can shoot them in the face, and that's just what you should do. The Scattershot (Forerunner shotgun) is an insanely powerful weapon at close range. If you can get ahold of one, it'll put the hurt on Knights (the Forerunner version of the Elite). Just remember to take out their little flying buddy first if they deploy one - those fuckers can heal their partner Knight and have a bunch of nuisance tricks to protect them from you.

Incidentally, are aware the main story campaign has full co-op too?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 23, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brasseye posted:

Edit: got to disagree with the other guy about the gauss rifle. Its a lot of fun to use and definitely worth picking up especially if you have a lackluster or easily replaceable weapon in either slot. A clean shot with it will send anything weaker than a knight flying on most difficulties, and getting a long range shot with it is satisfying as hell.

This is the problem with it - anything weaker than a Knight will go down just as easily to almost any other gun with a little effort, and it has horrible ammo capacity. It'll most likely see you through a single room, and then you're not going to see another one for several entire levels (not to mention leave you scrounging whatever's lying on the ground as a replacement).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

I'm not trying to snipe on this for MAJOR EPEEN POINTS but, are you sure you mean Scarab?
Scarabs are the massive, four legged walker things that you have to blow the core up for.
Wraiths are the Covenant equivalent of tanks. The things with the plasma mortars and the little dude in the gun on the front.

I mean, if you actually could hijack the Scrab that'd be pretty loving cool but I don't even remember if one was in the game.

No you're right, I always get those two mixed up. Fixed it now :ninja:.

Brasseye posted:

This is true and while I wouldn't advise picking it up with a view to keeping hold of it for longer than a couple of minutes, if you have a bad weapon in one slot or say youre carrying a plasma pistol to get rid of shields, generally you might as well grab the gauss rifle and quickly empty it into whatever youre fighting at the time for quick kills against elites and other stuff.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. No point letting it sit there if you've got a Hunter in your face, etc.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 23, 2013

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NihilCredo posted:

Anything on Crysis 3?

e: I'd like to know about easily missed content or useless/"noob trap" upgrades. Tactics, playstyles, weapons etc. I'll just figure out along the way.

Special Ammo is plentiful. Don't be afraid to lug around a Typhoon or Grenade Launcher, unlike in the previous games. Same for arrows - go nuts with the special arrowhead types, you'll find arrow stockpiles pretty regularly. That and you can retrieve the regular arrows from walls/floors/corpses. The Airburst arrows aren't your typical explosive weapon - they're essentially proximity grenades. You only have to aim near a Ceph or soldier to cause them to detonate as they pass by.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Count Chocula posted:

Just got Far Cry 3, Sonic Generations, and Gears of War 3. What do I need to know? I've played all the other Gears games.

Something for Gears of War 3 - Sniper Rifles no longer use standard ammo (:argh:), and the Retro Lancer is a great Locust-killer if you don't mind the recoil (fire in short bursts and it kills things over long distances just fine).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Also be aware that they didn't "fix" the save-corrupting bug so much that they just disabled saving in the PEC room altogether. I think technically it can still occur in the Crew Quarters. Basically I would still avoid saving in any puzzle room if possible. Remember, thanks to the flowchart you can always duck back to a previous point and save there.

The Crew Quarters bug is a different one - something about the poster-scratching puzzle can (on very rare occasions) cut out all recognition of the touchscreen, requiring a reboot. Also just play on Hard Mode. There's no good reason at all to play on Easy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pentyne posted:

Its best to play before the point of no return, the assault on the Cerberus base. That way you get every character encounter you've unlocked and have seen every person that could be alive by that point in the game, plus get max attendance to the party.

Actually it's best played after you finish the game. It's entirely self-contained and waaay more light-hearted than the main plot. The entire Citadel DLC is basically Bioware having a bit of fun before putting the trilogy to bed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpazmasterX posted:

-Play missions, prioritize the ones that are marked with smaller sized letters. The big ones are "main" story missions, so it's good to pop out all your available side missions first.

-Take cover, you can't take much more than a few hits unfortunately.

-I'm serious, this game sucks at warning you you're about to die.

-Upgrading cars is complete fluff, save your money for guns and properties

-Franklin's special ability to slow down time and take extreme control of a car is super useful, and you can basically use it constantly since it recharges from stuff like driving at top speed and narrow misses on other cars. Click it on to take a sharp turn or dodge traffic, then click it off, and you should never run out.

-When flight school opens up, go and finish it. You'll get a free parachute every time you enter aircraft afterward. Plus it can take Micheal's lovely flying stat to 100 before it's done, and you'll want that.

-When you're wanted, try and find tunnels, covered areas, or back lots where you can hide. It's much easier than just running.

-When you plan a heist, go with your best crew members even if someone says "Oh, this guy won't be as important because blah blah blah" because it's bullshit.

-Don't do assassination missions until you're in the post game. The whole point of them is to abuse the in-game "stock market" to make money, and you'll have a lot to invest after the final mission.

If you pick a guy that fucks up in an early heist, give them another shot in a later one. They really do improve.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spalec posted:

Do you just need to finish flight school or get gold for everything?

Just finish it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ainsley McTree posted:

Any more tips for escaping the cops in GTA 5? They seem much more relentless, even at the 1 and 2 star level, than in previous games. I can do ok in the city, by ducking into alleys and hiding out on foot, but out in the countryside I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do. They're usually faster than me which means I can't outrun them, and because it's all open space everywhere, I can't seem to hide from them, either. I usually just let them kill me unless I'm in the middle of a mission or something.

I'd ask in the main GTA V thread but I'm paranoid about spoilers and don't want to go there until I'm done.

Also, are there any basic things to know about making money on the stock market? I've figured out how to game it with assassination missions (you'd have to be pretty braindead to miss it) but other than that I'm not sure if there's a real system to figuring out when a particular stock is going to go up.

Go offroad, it makes it a lot harder for the cops to follow you. And save the assassination missions for after you finish all the main story missions so you can pour a shitload of cash into buying stock before you off the target(s).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pentyne posted:

Shadow of the Colossus: Check the strategy guide for how to beat the bosses, some of them can take up to an hour if you don't know where the weak points are. The game is crazy atmospheric and half the enjoyment is wandering around while searching for the next boss monster.

Raise your sword up when near a Colossus and it'll focus on its weak spot. Getting to said weak spot is half the fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

Most bosses its not a big issue but there are a couple like the turtle and the one in the city that involve a lot of steps and AI management that can take way too long to figure out just due to their use of one-time mechanics. Well and the turtle boss having a strange hitbox.

The only outright bullshit one is the Bull. hosed if I know how you're meant to get a decent kill on that fire-hating bastard without a VERY lucky jump off the cliff and onto its back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spalec posted:

-Save the Assassination missions until after the main storyline (you have to do the first one to progress the story though), and when you do them invest all your money for all the characters into the stocks hinted at. You end up with about a billion dollars for each character if you invest correctly.

Don't sell your stock immediately after the mission. Wait a little while after and the selling price will skyrocket much higher.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The rebreather's useless - there's maybe one or two areas in the entire game where there's toxic gas, and there's always an easier alternate route.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nohman posted:

Just got Binary Domain off PS+ freebies. Anything I should know going in?

Don't be efficient in your shooting. You get more credits for shooting robots to pieces then you do for just killing them. Don't pick Cain and Faye, you'll get plenty of time with them later in the game and loyalty does affect the ending somewhat.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Primitive Screwhead posted:

There's no need to buy guns thru DLC for ME3. The standard weapons work just fine.

This is just wrong. The DLC packs have some really fun guns and they're well worth getting if you can get them on sale. The Venom shotgun fires a cluster of mini-bombs (it's the big asskicking brother of the that stickybomb pistol). The Kishook sniper rifle fires goddamn two-foot-long harpoons through people. And The Typhoon is pure machine gun fun :allears:.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Or don't be obligated to buy non-gameplay DLC at all, because... y'know, it shouldn't be necessary.

I agree it really shouldn't, but both DLC weapon packs have some of the most fun guns in the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Anything for The Last Story besides the general tips on the beforeiplay site?

e: Also is switching to manual attack really the best idea? it says it lowers the damage you do...

• Switch to manual, because you can mash the attack button and outpace the auto-attack in DPS. Plus it's generally just better to be able to keep it in your control.

• When you can in town, get Bananas (there's a guy by the arena that sells them). Bananas for everyone! :unsmigghh:.

• Find the windy alley in town and take the time to do the minigame there. You'll upgrade your crossbow stat and net some good items. The frog sidequest gets you some good stuff too, from memory (been a while since I've played TLS).

• There's a few side-chapters scattered through the game (I THINK the first one is Chapter 8 or 10, somewhere around there). They'll give you some decent XP and are generally just fun standalone stories. I'm fairly certain you can't miss them either, so don't worry if you suddenly find the Chapter number skipping one.

• You'll only have control of Zael for the first few hours, but after few hours in you will get to command the entire party. Not directly as playable characters, just "you heal, you toss a fireball" and soforth.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Is this a game I can at least get some ironic enjoyment out of? Like is every aspect of it bad, or am I going to be able to play it and have fun describing how bad it is to my friends at least?

The soundtracks for those games are supposed to be good, aren't they?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mock and Droll posted:

I just got XCOM: Enemy Within today. I've played quite a bit of Enemy Unknown, and I was just wondering what was new in this one? What do I have to be aware of in the expansion?

Don't be too worried about stockpiling Mesh, you'll get plenty. Later missions will also yield more than just 10 units per captured tank.

magicalmako posted:

Turn Heavies into MEC suits, punch all the aliens.

Mount Flamethrowers instead and give those goddamn aliens the sweet taste of barbeque :black101:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I really dig the combat. I think the potential of the paradigm system is what's keeping me going at this point (it's sure as hell not the plot). I just wish dad would take the training wheels off and let me out of the driveway already. It's been almost ten hours and I still feel like I'm being led by the hand. I get it, game, paradigms are different and everyone's roles in combat change and you have to figure out what is best for you at any given moment. Fantastic. Now, let me do it on my own and quit trying to cram it down my throat by forcing me to work with certain combinations of characters/paradigms.

Currently irritating me:
  • ANGST
  • Vanille's "accent"

What you see is what you're getting for about another ten to twenty hours. Then you get a slightly wider corridor to run around in and the ability to shuffle your party members and paradigms at-will. So good luck with that :v:. The ANGST and Vanille's accent aren't going anywhere either.

My favourite little :wtc: in FFXIII will forever be Lightning watching Hope talk about wanting to kill Snow and then not only proceed to give him a loving knife, but also encourage him to do it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nohman posted:

Anything on Splinter Cell: Blacklist? Also when did this series become Tom Clancy's Mass Effect...?

When the producers thought it'd make money. You have three ways to potentially do each mission;

• Ghost - You were never there, no-one saw you, no-one was harmed. Distractions (Noisemakers, etc) don't count as being seen, and you are allowed to knock people unconcious. You won't get quite as good a score for leaving everyone unharmed and unaware of your presence though. Oh and close doors as you go through them - Guards will notice and get suspicious (Windows are fine though)
  • Panther - Silent and deadly. They never knew you were there, until they found the bodies long after you were gone.
  • Assault - KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL! gently caress THE SILENCER, BREAK OUT THE ASSAULT RIFLE AND ANNOUNCE DEATH IS COMING FOR THEM! :black101:

The side-missions given by each character (save for Briggs, which are a full-blown co-op campaign) are each centered around one of these play styles. The two gadgets you want to get with your cash as soon as possible (save for some better suit parts that suit your preferred playstyle) are the fully-upgraded Crossbow and the Tri-Rotor. They're insanely useful regardless of however you plan to play.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anything I should know about Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD? I've beaten the original before, I'm just curious as to anything Final ReMix changes or adds. Oh and anything for the two side-games included with KH1 on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Leper Colon V posted:

If/when you play Persona 3, choose the Female main character. She gets to skip the worst of the sidequests, and gets some pretty decent ones in exchange.

That's P3 Portable. P3:FES only has the male protagonist.

Spikeguy posted:

Just saw these pop up on PS3 Store for a bit of a discount. What can you tell me? I've heard some cool things, but I'm interested in hearing some more opinions.

Shin Megami TenseiŽ: PersonaŽ 3 FES

Fuse demons often and as many as you can. The game will kick your rear end if you try to favour a single element, so diversify as much as possible and be aware that unlike a lot of JRPG's most bosses are susceptible to stat drops and sometimes even status conditions (learn and keep something with Dekaja, the buff-nullification spell. It's always worth having on you).

Social Links need to be attended to regularly. Some can Reverse (just talk to them and say the right thing, then they'll be fine) or even Break. A few also need special conditions to even be started. Mitsuru's, for example, won't become available until about halfway through the game and you need to have come top of the class in either of the two exam periods set through the year. Get your Knowledge stat as high as you can by burning some rainy afternoons studying, and then just get the questions provided right.