Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Omi no Kami posted:

How limited are trait points in Remnant: From the Ashes? Can I randomly sprinkle them on whatever looks nice at the time, or is it like Souls stats where I need to sit and carefully think about what kind of build I want to be heading towards?

XP needed to gain a level caps at 1,500, and each area has one or two skill books that instantly give you a level as well.

Throw points at whatever looks neat, but keep in mind that all traits cap at 20 so you'll eventually cap out your main things and start spreading out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

juliuspringle posted:

I've been putting them on every ground window level it lets me (though almost entirely on the west just because of how I worked through) way to late to start over now but I had read online you only need to board certain ones instead of everyone and wasn't sure which was correct because eventually I'll replay it.

Basically, if you know you'll be going through there multiple times, board them up. If you just run through once and never have to go back, don't bother.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Kennel posted:

Is there any notable drawbacks in starting a killing spree, if my non-lethal approach fails in MGSV?

Not particularly, aside from not being able to fulton a corpse if their stats were good.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

SkeletonHero posted:

You actually hit them with this after they’re dead. They’ll go into a floaty slow-no death animation, and then you hit them one more time with the right brush stroke for the fang. Usually it’s power slash or blossom, but later enemies have some pretty unintuitive ones. It’s not always a technique that has to “hit” an enemy either.

Also keep in mind that you have one hit, period. If you're mashing attack and hit them after the slow-mo animation starts they'll instantly go into a much faster animation and can no longer be hit.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Eldred posted:

Exceed was already covered, but Nero's flow is through devil breakers. He gets more in his toolkit as the game goes on, he won't feel sparse for options for too long. He gets pretty good mobility off his air attacks too.

The only important devil breaker is the Mega Buster, as it changes your jump animation to Megaman's NES jumping pose.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

food court bailiff posted:

Anything for God Eater 3? Explain things like I’m a an idiot who has never played a hunting game for very long or while very sober.

Ignore the custom bullet mechanics. Unlike 1 and 2 where you can get up to some really wacky stuff with them, GE3 nerfed the hell out of them by giving you a maximum cost limit on how many you can bring. Previously, custom bullets used the same ammo of your normal bullets, in 3 you can only take something like 1400 total cost and every bullet you bring takes up some.

Make a fancy bullet that has a cost of 200? You get seven. For one element. For the entire mission.

To make it even worse, when you start getting multi-stage missions later on in the game, custom bullet ammo carries over between stages. So suddenly you have 7 uses total of that shiny new round for 2-3 missions.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

food court bailiff posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I’m still early in the game (just a couple of missions into the Chrysanthemum - REALLY early) but I’m really barely ever using guns at all. Is that something I should work into my routine more? Like I said, I’m usually garbage at hunter games but the flow and aesthetic of this one (outside of some of the thirstiest anime poo poo ever) has me kind of hooked.

For the most part you can go melee only, but there are some aragami later on that have a heavy weakness to guns.

If you want an easy to use gun type go with Ray Guns. Their gimmick is that you can dump your OP into a reserve, which you then use to fire a laser that gets stronger the longer it fires. So you just take a second every time you cap out on OP to fill your reserves, then spend some time unloading at a distance once it caps out.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

One thing to note is that Ivy-type Blood Veils, which shoot out a field of blades when you use their charge attack, will let you move the attack around and nail an enemy at a distance.

The range of the charge attack is longer than most enemies can aggro from, so you can open every fight with a free burst of damage and a boost to your ichor cap.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

CuddleCryptid posted:

Resident Evil 8: Village

- Do not sell meat for cash! It is not renewable! You will open up a much better path for it later in the story, but you are not told this when you first start being able to collect it.

- The first area after the village cannot be accessed again after you leave it.

- The game follows the RE4 tradition of having treasures that can be combined to make far more valuable ones. You can tell if this is true by the item description, if they are named as "combinable". Some of the second halves of those items are spaced far apart, so don't sell off the pieces unless you are truly desperate.

- The map will have each room go from red to blue when all items are taken from it. Said items can be anywhere. Under chairs, inside drawers, even glinting gems in the ceiling. If you want to clean the place out make sure you look up.

- Some horror games demand you stop and fight enemies. This is not one of them. If you can just book it right past enemies then do so. Yes you can get items and cash from their bodies, but a bullet you don't have to spend is often better than one you have to buy.

- Just like RE4, upgrading weapon capacity fully refills your weapon. Burning all the ammo you have loaded will give you a ton of free ammo on more expensive weapons.

- Some weapons have upgrade parts that increase capacity. These also fully refill your weapon, so holding off on equipping them will let you use them as an instant reload in a fight.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Anything for Lobotomy Corporation?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Another thing for Elden Ring:

- Using a Furlcalling Finger Remedy allows you to see summon signs, but locks out using ashes to summon NPC spirits even if you walk into a boss arena with no phantoms with you. Using the Finger Remedy a second time will let you cancel the effect and refund you the Remedy if you don't find any summon signs and want to use ashes again.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Pennfalath posted:

When in doubt, black magic or Sage while your party members use their skills to gain attention.

If you really want to shut down the game, Sage/Sage lets you use two stagger bars while not losing your Sage stacks whenever you swap.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Ainsley McTree posted:

Having spent some more time with Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga, my biggest tip would be:

* Don't stress about clearing the map of collectibles etc on your first run through the game. Many of them (including the ones in story missions) can only be reached via free play after you've unlocked all the character types. Furthermore, scavengers don't get their full set of abilities until you unlock them in certain story missions (i'm pretty sure i'm right about this anyway), so if it seems like you can't reach something, you genuinely might not be able to yet, it's best to play the episodes first and come back later if you're aiming for 100% completion.

Scavengers get their full set of gear fairly early into Ep 7, iirc, so you can dip in to get those and then hop back to whatever Ep you want to start with.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Rockman Reserve posted:

Anything for RE8? I feel like as a direct follow-up to 7 it’s probably pretty straightforward, but as someone who doesn’t usually play horror games I like to know if there’s any easily missable stuff.

-don't sell any fish or meat you find, it gets used in a mechanic introduced later
-some guns have attachments you can stick on for an extra stat boost. If the attachment boosts ammo capacity, you can save it for when you're out of ammo for a free refill in the middle of a fight
-the game's format sends you to the village, to another place, then back to the village, repeat. Any time you head back to the village, whatever place you left is locked out for the rest of the game, making any leftover loot unavailable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

*The first thing you should do is start slimming down your folder so you can try to have 4-5 chips in your hand every turn. A 2 code folder is ideal, 3 codes is useable, 4 codes and beyond will make it likely that you'll go into a turn with one chip in your hand.

**BN1 lacks the wildcard * code, but you can use 10 copies of the same chip so getting a 2 code folder is still feasible.

* You get higher ranks in virus fights by winning quickly, not moving, not getting hit, and getting double/triple deletes. You physically cannot get an S rank by killing viruses one at a time. This also means that fights against a lone virus cap out at rank 9.

**BN3 has S+ and S++ busting ranks if you're in Custom Style. S+ has the point requirement of S, but you're not allowed to use your buster, charge shot, or navi chips. S++ has the same restrictions but you also can't reopen the custom screen.

* Beating a Navi boss in under 30 seconds without getting hit is an automatic S rank. Getting hit once knocks you down to a 10 if you're trying to get V2 Navi chips.

* Chip codes are determined by busting rank, so a preferred code for your folder might require you to take a few hits

**Nothing in game lists what the requirements for a code are, so you'll have to look up a guide.

*The buster in 1 is actually insanely good, but falls off hard in all other games. Prioritize Charge, then Power, then Speed.