Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It is a circular plain journal bearing which is pressed into a machined hole. If you're familiar with old cars, it's exactly like the cam journals on an ovh v8, it's also pretty much how one side of a Harley main bearing works, and both of those things are replaceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Dumb question time, if KTM doesn't list the main bearing as a separate part, what would you have to do to get measurements for a replacement bearing that could be sourced elsewhere? Assuming the OEM bearing is trashed can you just measure the race and the crank and do some math?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Jazzzzz posted:

Dumb question time, if KTM doesn't list the main bearing as a separate part, what would you have to do to get measurements for a replacement bearing that could be sourced elsewhere? Assuming the OEM bearing is trashed can you just measure the race and the crank and do some math?

Take the crank's bearing journal, the id, od of the bearing, and the specified wear limits from the service manual. work backwards from there. If the crank has some additional wear then you'll go first oversize, etc. Provided you can get them or your friendly neighborhood machine shop has something lying around. You need:
ID, OD, Shell thickness, Oil galleys and supply holes if needed.

A possible reason for having non replaceable bearings like this is blind side mounting them. This is where the old bearing can't be pressed out to be fitted with a new one.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I was curious and did some googling. People have apparently pressed the bearings out and there is a part number on the back which matches the part number for a bearing on a "bajaj dominar 400", so they may be available, but whether they could be replaced is another thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

It is a circular plain journal bearing which is pressed into a machined hole. If you're familiar with old cars, it's exactly like the cam journals on an ovh v8, it's also pretty much how one side of a Harley main bearing works, and both of those things are replaceable.

My guess was gonna be that it was a bushing :justass:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can always just cast a new one yourself from Babbitt metal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sure the STL files are up on thingiverse, just print new cases

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
I too asked this, and as someone (Slavvy?) pointed out, main bearings LOOK like dumb bushings, but in fact there is a LOT of magic inside, they usually have sandwiched layers of different metals due to ~reasons~. So performance if you just put a bunch of oilite bronze in there is going to be possibly catastrophic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It wasn't me but yeah, they're a sandwich of different things because even though the metal parts don't actually touch, the bearing still has to deal with the load in the end - it's just distributed via a cushion of oil. So they're still subject to the usual ways metal parts fatigue and fail, they just don't have to deal with friction etc.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well I finally did it. I finally poo poo after sitting on this pot for ages. I put a deposit down on the GSX-S750! I'm going to pick it up next week. And I managed to successfully avoid nearly all the advice given itt! (at least I didn't buy a guzzi).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Congratulations!

Post some pics once you have it!

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
tried a Himalayan for a couple years. planned on going to a drz but decided i love dirt and hate roads. selling bike, taking season to learn about dirt bikes

electrics are cool, i have tinnitus and i want to start our kids on cheap electric dirt bikes when they are 9-10. so I'm looking at those but generally, i want something great on dirt, street legal is a plus but not required and I'll basically never ride asphalt except maybe short 40mph hops between dirt areas

suggestions for poppy, fun dirt bikes that won't be too loud, maybe even can be baffled, and don't need to be that powerful but should run circles around a Himalayan on single track are wanted!!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

tried a Himalayan for a couple years. planned on going to a drz but decided i love dirt and hate roads. selling bike, taking season to learn about dirt bikes

electrics are cool, i have tinnitus and i want to start our kids on cheap electric dirt bikes when they are 9-10. so I'm looking at those but generally, i want something great on dirt, street legal is a plus but not required and I'll basically never ride asphalt except maybe short 40mph hops between dirt areas

suggestions for poppy, fun dirt bikes that won't be too loud, maybe even can be baffled, and don't need to be that powerful but should run circles around a Himalayan on single track are wanted!!

Where are you located?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sounds like heaven.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Verman posted:

Where are you located?

vermont. not the longest season in the world but we have a ski season, too! for now.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Still sounds like a drz to me. It's your first dirt bike not your last.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

BabelFish posted:

I assume the main bearing is in that slightly smaller large hole in the center left of the bottom image. Do they like... pour the mold around the bearing? Or is it just glued in because they can't be assed. #7 (and 10, and 13) is clearly another bearing, so they obviously know how to make them removable.

I’m imagining in peak “gently caress you” you but the case, and it’s got a little baggie of bearings taped to the inside.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

I had a longer response queued up but I forgot to post it.

You want a bike that's meant primarily for dirt but still needs to be street legal even if just for usfs roads and to be legal while connecting one to the other. Since dirt is the primary usage, buy a bike meant for dirt performance. Any bike can be quieter with a different exhaust and or more packing. Also down turned tail pipe can help. I feel like 4 strokes can be quieter but their low sound might travel further.

That's definitely DRZ, KLX, WR, CRF/X, TTR territory.

Performance options.

These are going to be 95/5 dirt oriented Enduro bikes that in most states can still be street legal. They'll have great suspension, powerful engines, low weight, high ground clearance etc. Think motocross performance but more plush on the trails.

4 stroke - Yamaha wr250F, crf250x, husky/ktm
I'm a fan of the WR250f. These are all over the area and for a good reason. Good performance, reliability, parts availability both OEM and aftermarket. Used WRs are gone quickly around here. 450s are rare as they're more power than most people need here. I see a few of the Hondas but not many. Lots of husky.

2 stroke options seem to be the husky/ktm TE/FE 150, 250, or 300 tpi. They're all over here but we've also got crazy technical trails in the mountains of Washington. People need power and low weight.

Slightly lesser performance options. These are more dual sport and family oriented off road bikes. Less snappy performance, softer suspension, less ground clearance but generally more forgiving.

Kawasaki Klx300
Suzuki DRZ400
Honda Crf230 (Honda XR)
Yamaha Ttr230

More dual sport
Yamaha wr250R
Yamaha xt250

Comedy option Yamaha tw200

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is a WR250F going to have a much more frequent service interval compared to a WR250R (measured in hours vs miles)? Does a TTR230 give you the more relaxed maintenance schedule (at the sacrifice of performance)? I vaguely plan on buying a dirt bike in the next year or two, but I probably don't want something that needs a new top end every 50 hours.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It generally correlates. As one increases, so does the other. A wr250f will have noticeable better performance but yes it will need more frequent service intervals such as valve checks/adjustments. Maybe check the valves every 30-50 hours but top end should last several hundred, especially if you're not pushing it really hard.

Performance
Low ... > ... High

Maintenance interval
Low ... > ... High

The general idea is that two strokes need a new top end more often but they are cheaper and easier to do. Four strokes can go much longer on a top end but when they do it's pricey and more complicated. Plus valves.

It's important to know the wr250F and R models are two completely different bikes. They use completely different engines, suspension etc. The name is confusing since they are so different. My friend has one the same year as my F model and they feel very different even just seated. There's a reason the MSRP is much lower than the F model. That's not to say it's not capable off road. Just needs good tires.

The ttr, CRF, Klx, drz will likely have longer service intervals as they're not so high performance.

Everybody probably has similar stories of friends/family members owning 90s XR 200s that got ridden for 20 years with the only maintenance being gas in the tank and air in the tires. Same went for my friend's TTR. Air cooled four strokes were bulletproof pigs.

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 10, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Everyone watch the video of the DR200 doing a rally again.

https://youtu.be/SwjVUwXYXl0

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 10, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
the wr250r is a 4 pot R1 engine shaved down to 1 cylinder. It comes wit 24,000 mi valve checks. Its a set and forget kind of engine.
Its suspension is inferior to that of the DRZ or the WR250F however it can be fixed by any competent suspension shop.
Go down 1 tooth in the front and its more or less equivalent engine wise with a stock drz but with efi and six gears.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Everyone watch the video of the DR200 doing a rally again.

https://youtu.be/SwjVUwXYXl0

oh yeah I have no illusions about thrashing a 450R. I feel like a 200lbs 10hp bike is far preferable to even 250lbs/20hp, let alone like 45-55hp. But what if I want to put 17s on it and take it to a go-kart track :ohdear: I kind of want to get a DRZ, but the nearest off-road areas for me are like 60miles of freeway from me, which may make for a miserable ride home, which is why I'm leaning more towards actual dirt bike (even if low performance) and renting a van for a half day to go ride.

I think this is the same guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQ0b69_oV8

I've ridden a TTR125L before (although oval track, not trails), and watching that video made me think "yes this will be adequate."

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Great Success!
Pics here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2895016&pagenumber=477&perpage=40&userid=0#post523386990
Really happy with my purchase, it's such a joy to ride! I felt immediately at home on it.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
My MT-03 was stolen after I'd had it ~5 months and finally have a garage to help avoid another theft. Would an MT-07 or SV650 still be too much if I'm not prone to hooligan stuff, or stick with another MT-03? Liter bike and a GoPro?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Spiggy posted:

My MT-03 was stolen after I'd had it ~5 months and finally have a garage to help avoid another theft. Would an MT-07 or SV650 still be too much if I'm not prone to hooligan stuff, or stick with another MT-03? Liter bike and a GoPro?

First of all, ugh, that sucks, sorry your ride got stolen.

What sort of riding did you enjoy most? You have at least some reference now for what you like. Do you want to stay on the pavement? Do you want a little off road ability? Are you staying off the interstates entirely because it turns out THEY SUCK? Or did you find you enjoyed doing long rides out to places and want to sport tour on pavement? Maybe do a little soul searching there.

As far as displacement.. I think of it like this, you need a bike that's going to be a good for teaching you how to ride well. Is that a 430lb 650cc naked? Maybe? But is something lighter going to be better? Very likely. It's not that you can't "handle" the power, it's that a smaller, lighter bike is going to be a better companion in making you a better rider long term.

For instance if i were doing it again, i'd buy a little dual sport (or sumo) like CRF300L rally or KLX300 sumo.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I'm in Dallas, so I'm probably 75% urban sprawl and 25% interstate. The MT-03 sucked on the interstate because of the effective 85mph minimum speed limit. I'm not really interested in off-road but something capable for weekend trips into Arkansas or Louisiana would be nice.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Just get a 675 daytona and bin it on a light onramp

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

schreibs posted:

Just get a 675 daytona and bin it on a light onramp

I thought you were supposed to run those headfirst into a porsche in texas?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TheBacon posted:

That's the R6 akshully

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
The last MT-07 that's going to exist until September was sold the morning. Ran into the guy that bought it as he was starting it up :smith:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

TheBacon posted:

only if you're a YouTube superstar (gently caress yammie noob)

Spiggy posted:

I'm in Dallas, so I'm probably 75% urban sprawl and 25% interstate. The MT-03 sucked on the interstate because of the effective 85mph minimum speed limit. I'm not really interested in off-road but something capable for weekend trips into Arkansas or Louisiana would be nice.

If you absolutely positively can't stay off the interstate (I'm convinced you could ride across Texas on the access roads running parallel to the highways), the MT-07 should give you enough extra juice to not hate life at 85. It's still tractable enough to pass as a quote-unquote learner bike, at least by US standards.

e: welp

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
That was my same thought process (live in sprawl, like road trips, started on a 300, wanted a comfier position)

Got SV650, it is very good and I am mostly happy but the wind protection makes highways a bit suboptimal. Think long and hard about tenere 700, CB500X, or CRF300 rally. (Or klx 300 sumo and a windscreen). Previous posters are also right that the lighter a bike you get, the more connection you will feel to your contact patch, so the better you will get at sensing sketchy traction etc.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Spiggy posted:

Have you looked at the Triumph Tiger 660? That's probably what I would have bought instead of my MT-07, had the Triumph been around back in 2019.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

DR650 SM

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you have the budget and you can actually find one, a Honda cb500x is pretty perfect now that someone else mentions it. I always forget it exists.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I always forget it exists.

Both the worst and best thing about Hondas

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
As a former CB500X owner, I can highly, highly recommend that bike.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Crisis averted- found an MT-03 from a private seller. I messaged a dealer about the '19 MT-07 they had and 9500 OTD literally as much as the new sv650 I looked at Friday :laffo:

I might be taking the side roads instead of the interstate but bike number 3 will be a dad bike for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I still haven't bought my short-commute bike which is giving me far too much time to research inappropriate bikes. Currently looking at a 2015 Ninja 250SL with 2.6k on the clock. Good or bad idea?