Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

The Tenere 700s look pretty nice, not sure how they would be as commuters.

I just picked up a 24 Tenere and it’s a great bike around town. It’s comfortable, has enough power, and low on vibrations. It’s not as exciting as my last bike, a 690 smc r, but that was the appeal. I wanted comfort, reliability, and full control of abs for the dirt. As a relatively new father, I also wanted something that didn’t empower me to be such a dong. My only criticism is that the stock windshield causes buffeting right at my helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ant mouth posted:

Tell me what bike to buy: I wanted something that didn’t empower me to be such a dong

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've been seeing some really positive reviews of the Honda Transalp lately. Maybe it's just that everyone expected it to be as bland as warm oatmeal and were surprised when it turned out actually decent. Biggest complaint seems to be no cruise control and factory luggage is expensive for what it is.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Geriatric SA Forums Post of the year

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finger Prince posted:

I've been seeing some really positive reviews of the Honda Transalp lately. Maybe it's just that everyone expected it to be as bland as warm oatmeal and were surprised when it turned out actually decent. Biggest complaint seems to be no cruise control and factory luggage is expensive for what it is.

I actually also stopped by the Honda place and yeah the Transalp looks good. I thought it had cruise control, I guess not. I just don't really want another Honda right now.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

The 1390 Super Duke R has been inhabiting my dreams for weeks now. It's an achievable dream bike (for my circumstances) with the caveat that it's probably a maintenance nightmare and a guaranteed deathwish.

Over my 20 years of riding I've always been the practical type, opting for cheap and cheerful machines while looking down on squids who ride impractical machines beyond their skill levels. I started on a 125cc, moved up to a 200cc, followed by multiple 650cc bikes, and now back down to a 400cc. 20 years on and I'm finding myself unable to resist the temptation of a 1,000+cc V-twin. Should I avoid this urge to buy more bike than is necessary? And is the 1390 the absolute worst option of them all?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

It has KTMs least bad engine and plenty of ride modes to adjust the power.

Dema here has a 1290 and really likes it from what he has posted.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
What is it like to ride and own a 1977 four cylinder Honda cb400? Asking for a friend.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Depends on what you want really. On all levels its "not quite there yet" compared to a 80-90s honda or other late 80+ bikes.

Frame is not as stiff, brakes is not as good, worse ergonomics, electronics are older design(does it even have a fuse block), wheel dimensions are older and not up to modern forms.

Does he want a project that will need more constant maintenance or does he want to ride a bike?

is it even sorted in the first place? ie, does the PO say it runs and drives or have anyone actually sane gone over it?

edit: does he want to have to source parts from special suppliers if they're even available?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
It's in parts, been for several years, as I understand it a chain tensioner issue that escalated into a bunch of "while I'm in there" type engine work and a café racer mod that got interrupted by a baby arriving. Owner says all parts are sorted minus a rusty spoked front wheel that needs re-lacing (new spokes included). Lots of huge warning flags, but there are some mitigating circumstances. The owner is a trusted long-time friend/colleague and known skilled bike wrencher but he's moving out of country and needs to offload his junk. The price is cheap - nowhere near whatever market value for a running bike of this model might be as I understand it. All original parts before the cafe mods are still around, some frame welding required though.
Friend wants to buy this as an adult lego set primarily to wrench on a bike. He's willing to lose his money. God bless him I say, though I wouldn't want a project like this myself and I told him so.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Not to break any dreams, but what he is looking at buying is a pile of parts, not a bike. ie the price should really really reflect that.

Also, have your friend wrenched on bikes before?

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 11, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Oh wow, a pile of disassembled parts is worth less than the complete bike? Well, jump right on that deal!

No it's a very stupid idea. Unless your friend wants to become a bike mechanic real quick, it will remain a pile of parts forever and ever. And will cost ungodly amounts of money, that neither of you are realizing at this moment.

If y'all want to play mechanics, go buy a bike that runs and take it apart for funsies. Or tell the guy that you will take it off his hands for a case of beer, just make sure it comes with a title. He is not going to sell it to anyone otherwise, no matter what he says. It will be yours when it's still taking up room in his shed 3 days before he leaves the country or whatever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A parts pile is not necessarily a bad thing. I've ridden bikes for years that started as a parts pile

An aborted cafe racer project is the real red flag here.

However, a parts pile or a cafe racer project turned parts pile are no good for someone who hasnt wrenched on bikes pretty extensively before. The parts pile will require a lot of knowledge about general motorcycle assembly and design going into the project just to get it together.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
A stock bike in pieces can make an ok project if there's significant support around it.
A stock bike that's been taken apart then had power tools taken to it to convert it into something else is a project rife with pain.

I strongly recommend a project goldwing.

Scam Likely posted:

The 1390 Super Duke R has been inhabiting my dreams for weeks now. It's an achievable dream bike (for my circumstances) with the caveat that it's probably a maintenance nightmare and a guaranteed deathwish.

Over my 20 years of riding I've always been the practical type, opting for cheap and cheerful machines while looking down on squids who ride impractical machines beyond their skill levels. I started on a 125cc, moved up to a 200cc, followed by multiple 650cc bikes, and now back down to a 400cc. 20 years on and I'm finding myself unable to resist the temptation of a 1,000+cc V-twin. Should I avoid this urge to buy more bike than is necessary? And is the 1390 the absolute worst option of them all?

LC8s are fine. Bonus to you the new 1390 has 37k mile valve check intervals.
I've had an early lc8 for 7 years now. It's still a favorite.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I think y'all are looking at this old pile of parts from a motorcyclist's perspective, and not from the perspective of the time honored tradition of a pile of dusty, greasy bits of metal passed from one man (or his estate) to another, to take up space in the garage and exasperate partners, until the next big move/death/ultimatum to clean out the garage comes around, and then it's passed on to the next man.
I say to your friend, go get that pile of junk, and spend the next decade alternating between shifting it around, burying it, and unburying it, if only as an alternative to thinking about how his life come to this, in between being told he needs to pick up the dog from the groomers because Billy ate tinsel... Or was it pick up Billy from the groomers because the dog ate tinsel?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Will it be his only bike?
If not, is his other bike completely reliable?

Having a project bike is alright, as long as you always have something to ride that doesn't sap your energy and funds.

I have my wreck of an FZR600 which is hella fun to ride but also at the like 4 hours of riding = 1 hour of wrenching (literally) stadium of advanced age and deferred maintenance. I love it too much to let it die but i'm also extremely happy that if i'm so loving fed up with that bullshit bike, that i can just hop on my SV and just zoom away and defer some maintenance some more. Cause i like riding bikes, not working on them.
I've spotted 2 new additional things in addition to the things i already planned to fix, if they are as bad as they look, this might actually be the point at which i'm gonna get rid of it...

The FZR would've been gone 2 years ago if i didn't have a working bike.

The SV actually has had a bunch of bullshit problems too last year, and that really gave me a couple of nasty hits to my mental wellbeing. It was supposed to be the Good Bike and then the rear brakes stopped releasing. That's fixed now but it was highly annoying and stressful.

All that said, working on bikes that aren't stock is a lot more annoying than when all parts just fit right onto the spots where they are supposed to go. This is one of the big issues with my FZR. It was a ~streetfighter~ so i encounter all kinds of bullshit that's not quite working like it is supposed to.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 11, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The prospective buyer has a reliable bike, this is meant primarily as a wrenching project, not a riding project. Dude already has too many wrenching p projects but who am I to judge. He's a pretty skilled car mechanic but new to bikes other than regular maintenance. He can machine and weld stuff so if the pile of parts is as nice as he says I think he can probably pull it off if he sticks with it, which is where my doubts come in.

Finger Prince posted:

I think y'all are looking at this old pile of parts from a motorcyclist's perspective, and not from the perspective of the time honored tradition of a pile of dusty, greasy bits of metal passed from one man (or his estate) to another, to take up space in the garage and exasperate partners, until the next big move/death/ultimatum to clean out the garage comes around, and then it's passed on to the next man.
I say to your friend, go get that pile of junk, and spend the next decade alternating between shifting it around, burying it, and unburying it, if only as an alternative to thinking about how his life come to this, in between being told he needs to pick up the dog from the groomers because Billy ate tinsel... Or was it pick up Billy from the groomers because the dog ate tinsel?

Pretty much this is where I'm guessing this will end up. Maybe I'm wrong.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

think im firmly in the #boughtnotbuilt camp

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

think im firmly in the #boughtnotbuilt camp

:same:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If there is a fully functional motorcycle that could be ridden without an advanced notice, then the rest of the fleet could be in small boxes, inside of large boxes, inside of a shipping container, whatever. But I also have a buddy, who likes working on motorcycles more than he likes riding. So he buys salvage stuff, fixes it, sells them and repeats the process. He's never ready to go out riding because none of his poo poo is functioning at any given time, or maybe that's just an excuse. Either way, I stopped asking.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Scam Likely posted:

I just want to share regarding your general impulse, as a small-bike appreciator who spent inordinately long on a 500cc "starter" bike and wanted some grunt for #3 and ended up with a 1200cc Bonneville. The right amount of excess rules, has not gotten old yet in those areas where I feel safe exercising it. I also briefly test rode a ZRX1200 which had way too much for my actual use case of zipping around in traffic and not doing anything especially risky, and would've been a constant exercise in under-utilizing the bike. So yeah absolutely buy more bike than is necessary, but make sure the grunt is where you want it as a safety minded old goon.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'd like to caution against going up the motorcycle size before you are absolutely ready as it will significantly stifle your learning curve. It's a common enough issue, perpetuated by the same people who recommended it to each other. I've experienced it myself. Didn't start learning again until I got a lighter and smaller motorcycle.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

100%, but it sounded to me like Scam Likely's done their time.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i bought a 2007 sv650s

i hope you are happy with yourselves

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Extremely. Because that’s a fantastic bike

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You won the motorcycle selection game, congratulations 🎉

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

I still miss my 2003 sv650s, good going goon.

edit: definitely change out the fork springs and rear suspension bits unless you happen to weigh 130.

ant mouth
Oct 28, 2007

MSPain posted:

i bought a 2007 sv650s

i hope you are happy with yourselves

That was my very first bike. I had 35k trouble free miles with it. Sold it to a friend who put 40k on it. Good bike is good.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
PO put an insanely small pipe on it and threw out the baffle. i'm downright embarrassed to ride it until the replacement arrives.

the bike is an absolute menace in it's current form

from what little tootling around I've done i can tell i'm going to love the handling though

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Thanks for all the information. I haven't ridden on the track in almost a decade so i'm rusty for sure and probably need the most newbie friendly experience possible. I'll get the gear somehow so it's not essential that the provider rent suits but if they do that would be a plus. I'm also new to the norcal/northern Nevada area so having a buddy to show me the ropes would be excellent. PM me (if you want to of course, no pressure) when you're thinking of going.

I PM'd you as well, but posting itt in case anyone else in the area is interested in going to the track, but isn't sure how, doesn't want to go alone, etc.

I just bought tickets for these days.

April 28, Thunderhill East
June 2, Thunderhill East
Sept 1, Thunderhill East

I also bought tickets for 2 private track days. One at Laguna Seca on Jul 8th, and the other at Thunderhill East for Sept 26th. 105dB days at Laguna Seca are expensive; this private day is only 20% more than going with a provider for 50% more track time (and if you sign up before May 17, it's only a 5% premium); 30 minute sessions instead of 20, and groups are limited to something like 25 riders on track versus 40-50. The Thunderhill day is open session and only 12 riders total. Honestly if you only do one day, this is the one to do. I did it last year, and it was awesome. You pretty much have the entire track to yourself. Anyone interested PM me and I can share the sign up info.

There is also Yamaha sponsored day at Sonoma on Aug 28. You have to get a sign up code from a participating Yamaha dealer, but I fully intend on going to this once the codes are available.

Lastly there is an Aprilia sponsored day at Buttonwillow on Oct 21. I am most likely going to this one as well.

There may be one or two more I will go to, but the 5 above are for sure, the other 2 most likely.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

How common is water cooled two stroke Enduros? Early 90s era. It’s a sphere I’m not really in, and I may have found a local unicorn.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

How common is water cooled two stroke Enduros? Early 90s era. It’s a sphere I’m not really in, and I may have found a local unicorn.

Every Japanese brand had one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In the US? They’re a bit more rare. A lot of the dirt bikes were two stroke watercooled, but enduros tended to be air cooled

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

I PM'd you as well, but posting itt in case anyone else in the area is interested in going to the track, but isn't sure how, doesn't want to go alone, etc.

I PM'd you back, twice, because I don't know how PM's work I guess.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone ridden the 8R yet? I'm looking for a sporty all rounder and had my heart set on a new Street Triple until I got my insurance quote for it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I demo rode the 8S and really liked it, as much as you can glean from a shortish guided demo ride anyway. The engine was very punchy and had surprising character.

I owned a Street Triple and would still take that over the Suzuki though. Glorious bike.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah I used to have a '15 Striple R and miss it badly. There's a demo day next week I'll check out and see if I can get at least 85% of the feels for 50% of the costs.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
A DRZ with a reasonable asking price just popped up locally, and I think I might go for it unless someone gets there first. According to the very sparsely worded ad it's a 2004 with 15,000 km on it and new tkc 70 tires. Is there anything special I should look at other than obvious stuff before buying, given that the title is clean (don't know the reg number yet so this is undetermined atm) and the seller isn't super sketchy? I've never ridden a DRZ but when I sat on one it seemed to fit my 183cm body pretty well, the bars were wide and the seat was pretty uncomfortable and that's all I know about these bikes other than it's considered a good light dual sport.

E: Spoke to the seller, everything seems OK apart from it not being road legal at the moment due to not having undergone periodic inspection since 2022, the dude had a reasonable story for why it's been sitting, and it rhymes with the low price for what seems to be a machine in good knick. He also told me the bike has an aftermarket Öhlins steering damper of some sort, and extra large tank not mounted and also sent a picture of a box of parts (right side mirror and and brush guards) and consumables (oil filters, OEM brake pads) Anyways I'm going to look at it tomorrow evening, wish me luck!

Invalido fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 7, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is not too much to worry about on DRZ’s. They are very reliable and well built. For that age machine you should plan to replace the cam chain tensioner with a manual one, some of the early auto tensioners are known to have issues maintaining tension. Suzuki fixed it in later years. Also plan to loctite the stator bolts as they very rarely back out but when they do it takes out the stator and engine case.

The main thing is that they get ridden hard, so check for damage, bent forks etc. Also check for sketchy mods and use any you find to drive the price down further, although from that picture it doesn’t look like it’s really been messed with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Will look into stator bolts and chain tensioner if I end up buying it. According to what little I've read thus far the breaking point for suzuki's fix was model year 2002, and I guess it's entirely possible that whatever needs fixing is already sorted, but the only way to know for sure is to take things apart. According to the D.O.T this bike has had 9 owners so far (which includes dealers) so there's potential for all sorts of fuckery. The seller came down in price unasked on the phone but seemed firm with the number he gave me so it seems like a take it or leave it sort of thing. Which is fine. I don't have to buy this bike, but I hope I will. The story he gave me was it was his friend's bike, who suffered a stroke and can't ride anymore and let the street legality lapse because of this . So dude buys it, doesn't like it (he says he mostly rides a GS1200-something), replaces the offroad focused "hard tires" as he described it with something more streetable, still didn't like the bike and now he's selling it for what he paid the stroke victim buddy plus the cost of the tires. Fair if true and a good lie if not IMO.