Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
clean your carburetor. supplies:

carburetor cleaner
maybe a clean glass jar from the garbage and a teeny tiny sewing needle if the jets are being stubborn butts and won't come clean by being sprayed
cheapo safety glasses

instructions:

disassemble. separate the rubber and paper gaskets.

spray out all the tiny passages and residues and whatever. don't spray the paper and rubber things.

if you can't see the sun through the tiny holds in the tiny jets, soak em in carburetor cleaner in the jar and poke em with the thin needle

consider muttering some swear words as you imagine that the bits of crud are sentient and staying stuck in the jets because they want to ruin your day and that maybe your needle wasn't thin enough and just accomplished packing the crud in tighter

it will come clean, though with enough soaking, poking, spraying

that's it. put it back together. swear a little more as the float gets stuck on the bowl while you put it on.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd go for the knock-off and dial it in, that's not too big a change to push it out of the realm of feasibility, though it will change the character of the engine a little (most likely a loss of bottom end grunt). Start with the pilot jet, idle and mixture screws (idle/first touch of the throttle); if you can get it to idle and run at all, you're already very close and it's then a matter of playing with the mixture screw, and maybe one step in jet size. After that it's a matter of plug chops and trial and error to get the needle (part throttle) and main jet (full throttle) dialled in.

You won't know exactly what you need to do and what settings to run through inference alone, don't get too caught up thinking about it beforehand. Trial and error will get you there, although some ballpark settings from people who have done the same swap would be a great starting point.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

I like the needle idea but I always had a set of these on hand when I was messing with carb jets https://www.amazon.com/Acarte-Carburetor-Cleaner-Cleaning-Needles/dp/B072JVQ5DT

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Guitar string is pretty perfect. Better than a sewing needle since it’s flexible and thus less likely to scratch brass parts.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Any reason the sprocket vendor would have shipped me a 520 front sprocket when I bought a 525 set? I'm assuming this is a mistake, I'd prefer to have the correct sprocket unless it really doesn't matter. For a 1999 GSX-R750, so 525 is the stock size.

*edit*
I thought the rear sprocket was thicker while it was in the packaging, but I just took it out and it's the same thickness as the the front sprocket so it looks like they sent me 520 sprockets and a 525 chain

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 22, 2020

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Any reason the sprocket vendor would have shipped me a 520 front sprocket when I bought a 525 set? I'm assuming this is a mistake, I'd prefer to have the correct sprocket unless it really doesn't matter. For a 1999 GSX-R750, so 525 is the stock size.

*edit*
I thought the rear sprocket was thicker while it was in the packaging, but I just took it out and it's the same thickness as the the front sprocket so it looks like they sent me 520 sprockets and a 525 chain

you'd be fine if you ran it, but I'd rather have what I paid for than what they they sent ya

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

525 as an awkward semi obsolete size, 520 sprockets will run that chain no problem. 520 conversions for popular sportbikes are so common that my supplier lists 520 conversion kits as a regular chain/sprocket option.

I'd just ask them for a 520 chain to go with the sprockets; if it can handle MotoGP it can handle your old gixxer no problems.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Good to know it's fine, the funny thing is the 520 parts cost more than the 525 parts, and I wanted to do the 520 conversion but they didn't list any 520 rear sprockets for my bike on their site (yet somehow sent me one). Maybe swapping to the 520 chain is the best option, as mailing back both sprockets is probably as heavy as a chain (or close enough).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

525 as an awkward semi obsolete size, 520 sprockets will run that chain no problem. 520 conversions for popular sportbikes are so common that my supplier lists 520 conversion kits as a regular chain/sprocket option.

I'd just ask them for a 520 chain to go with the sprockets; if it can handle MotoGP it can handle your old gixxer no problems.

Guess what bike still comes with 525 stock? That's right, the DR650!!

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Should I swap over to 520 the next time I do my chain? :ohdear: Or will they keep making 525 sprockets and chains for dadbikes like mine?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I definitely know and understand the distinction between 520 and 525 as well as why it's important to know for the future when I eventually have to start replacing things like sprockets and chains on my bought-new motorcycle. It would be a shame if somebody tried to explain to smart, informed folks like me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

FBS posted:

I definitely know and understand the distinction between 520 and 525 as well as why it's important to know for the future when I eventually have to start replacing things like sprockets and chains on my bought-new motorcycle. It would be a shame if somebody tried to explain to smart, informed folks like me.

It’s a weight thing. 525 chains are heavier, they weigh 525 kg/500 m, whereas the 520 chains weigh 520 kg/500 m.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
It’s the chain size. Not a big deal because you can always change out the sprockets and chain together, I just didn’t want to be stuck buying a new rear sprocket unexpectedly or something.

I always thought the whole number was pitch (distance between teeth), but it turns out that only the initial “5” is the pitch and that 20/25/30 are the width. This means you can mix and match in one direction if you need to (wider chain w/ narrower sprocket).

If you’re used to bicycles like me then this similar to 8, 9, 10, 11 speed chains.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah 520 and 525 are basically identical except 525 is slightly wider. I don't know what precipitated the broader shift to 520, or why the two existed side by side in the first place when they're nearly exactly the same.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slavvy posted:

Yeah 520 and 525 are basically identical except 525 is slightly wider. I don't know what precipitated the broader shift to 520, or why the two existed side by side in the first place when they're nearly exactly the same.

mountainbike syndrome maybe "hey this is the NEW GREATEST THING"

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
What is the general consensus on removing styrofoam from a helmet to fit speakers in there? My Schuberth C3 Pro has cutouts for speakers already, but putting anything in there causes an unpleasant pressure against my ears. So I have considered just cutting some more out, but I'm not sure if this would compromise the styrofoam in some way.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

What is the general consensus on removing styrofoam from a helmet to fit speakers in there? My Schuberth C3 Pro has cutouts for speakers already, but putting anything in there causes an unpleasant pressure against my ears. So I have considered just cutting some more out, but I'm not sure if this would compromise the styrofoam in some way.

if you just spoon a tiny bit out it'd probably be a negligible difference. I've done it, but I've also never crashed :shrug:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

right arm posted:

if you just spoon a tiny bit out it'd probably be a negligible difference. I've done it, but I've also never crashed :shrug:
Actually having touched it some more, it seems very sturdy, almost like the surface is coated or something. Not like the styrofoam I know.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

SEKCobra posted:

Actually having touched it some more, it seems very sturdy, almost like the surface is coated or something. Not like the styrofoam I know.

That's the EPS that is there to stop your brain becoming like the styrofoam you know, don't mess with it. Get slimmer speakers.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's the EPS that is there to stop your brain becoming like the styrofoam you know, don't mess with it. Get slimmer speakers.

That's the thing, I can't find slimmer ones. And I'm aware the EPS is there to save my noggin, but I am unsure wheter manipulating the foam over my ears affects the crash-critical areas.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

That's the thing, I can't find slimmer ones. And I'm aware the EPS is there to save my noggin, but I am unsure wheter manipulating the foam over my ears affects the crash-critical areas.

Remember that Schuberth is a German brand, and therefore you should only consider the Officially Approved comms systems specific to your model helmet because to use equipment of lesser engineering would be Verboten.
https://www.schuberth.com/en/products/motorbikes/communication-systems/sc10ua.html

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Finger Prince posted:

Remember that Schuberth is a German brand, and therefore you should only consider the Officially Approved comms systems specific to your model helmet because to use equipment of lesser engineering would be Verboten.
https://www.schuberth.com/en/products/motorbikes/communication-systems/sc10ua.html

Actually they have both a Cardo and Sena product available, both loving expensive.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
My gear shifter ('98 Shadow) moves freely at the top/bottom of the gears, i.e. in 5th gear I can gently toe the shifter all the way up with no resistance and it tells me I'm in top gear, same with pushing down in 1st. It's kinda nice.

What mechanism in the gearbox is allowing this behavior?

This is my first Honda and also my first "old bike", is this something a lot of shifters used to do, or is it a Honda thing?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When you operate a sequential shifter, you are rotating a barrel that looks like this

Each click of the shifter uses a ratchet to turn the barrel around some number of degrees. As it rotates, pins riding in those tracks are forced back and forth, driving the gears (or gear dogs) in and out of mesh. There is also a spring that returns the shift lever to a neutral position after each movement. When you reach top or bottom gear, the ratchet disengages and the barrel no longer rotates but the lever can still move and return with its spring. That's what you feel as the no-resistance extra space at each end of the gear range.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A lot of Honda’s do it but it’s not unique only to them

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I don't know what precipitated the broader shift to 520

I'm positive it's because less rotating mass, even if the difference is nigh negligible.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

A lot of Honda’s do it but it’s not unique only to them

Extra fun are the Chinese/Indian cub knockoffs that decided to skip a few steps, so you can rotate right around from top gear back into first. Invigorating!

Phy posted:

I'm positive it's because less rotating mass, even if the difference is nigh negligible.

Reduced costs seem more likely to me but who knows.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Extra fun are the Chinese/Indian cub knockoffs that decided to skip a few steps, so you can rotate right around from top gear back into first. Invigorating!

Uhhhhhhhh

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Momjeans420 mentioned that 520 parts were more expensive than the 525s, and I did absolutely no followup research on aftermarket prices, so that's why I figured it has to be a "performance" thing.

And now looking at DID's site, they do at least price 520 chain cheaper than 525. Didn't see about sprockets one way or another. So lol, I'm a twit, do your research before you post, people

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

They were more expensive for my bike at Sprocket Center, but probably because 525 is stock?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ok so I know I am a bad motorcyclist, life has just changed a lot the past 18 months and my '06 Ninja 650R has been sitting in the garage more or less collecting dust since last summer. I put a new battery in it last June, rode it around a few times, and then parked it in the garage and put it on a battery tender.

Today I finally got the itch to start it up again, and everything lights up when I turn the key, but when I hit the ignition switch there's a loud buzzing sound that comes from near the top of the motor (presumably the starter) for as long as I hold the ignition down, and then all the electrics die and the bike doesn't start. It never seems to even attempt to turn over the engine or spark fuel. After releasing the ignition, the bike tries to power cycle again, but sounds wimpy. Checked fuses and they're fine as well.

I assume it's probably just another dead battery? After a couple of attempts, it's obviously much weaker when I turn it off and back on -- the fuel pump pressurization sounds weak and the headlights are dim. I've killed a few batteries from lack of use over the years, and each time it has manifested differently but always resulting in the bike not starting

I know it sat for, like, a while but I thought a tender on a new battery would maybe have kept it alive for ~15 months? I hope that's all it is so I can run to the parts store this weekend, and then give it at an oil change and a chain lube at the least as well. Other than eating batteries while parked this thing has given me literally zero issues.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 2, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah your battery is just dead.

Are you sure the tender works properly? How cold does your garage get in the winter? Was there like a month or two where it got unplugged and you just forgot about it and let it get really low?

If it's a flooded battery, it's possible the electrolyte just evaporated too. 18 months is a long time to sit.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

No real idea if the tender is working properly, other than I have used it in the past to (very slowly) charge up low batteries. It's just some cheapo Battery Tender Jr. thing, and I've had it result in dead batteries before so possible that it is trash. The status lights make it appear like it is working :shrug:

It's not out of the question that it got unplugged for an extended period of time before I noticed and hooked it back up. Doesn't get terribly cold here in the winter, and it's an attached garage so never even near freezing.

Glad it just sounds like a battery to you, too. I'll pick up a new one soon and give it a go.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Before you replace the battery check first that the terminals are clean and solidly connected.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Use a multimeter and check the voltage. you can even check the voltage under load if it seems normal when not starting.
But yeah, sounds like new battery time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sacrificing a battery to great consumer garbage god is a time honoured spring ritual.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

Sacrificing a battery to Poseidon, Lord of the Seas, is a time honoured spring ritual.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Poseidon can hook you up with free recycling you just have to be discreet.

Broseidon, lord of the brocean

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Broseidon, lord of the brocean

A legit good song from a great album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Best onion article, :actually:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theonion.com/bro-youre-a-god-among-bros-1819584402/amp