Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Invalido posted:

-There's cops around (tapping palm on top of one's helmet, supposed to be reminiscent of flashing roof lights I was told )
-You left your blinkers on (opening and closing your outstretched fingers and thumb, like the "this person is talking too much"-gesture)

I was told both of these as well (California). I mostly ride alone so the blinker thing doesn't really come up, but the tapping your helmet is definitely in use.

Others:

Pushing your hand down, like you're dribbling an invisible basket ball: slow(ing) down. The other way around to speed up, although I use this for if someone faster comes up behind me that I see them and am making room for them to pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Stick out your foot to greet someone back, if both your hands are busy.
The nod if you have already greeted like 10 other bikers and you're spending more time waving then riding.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Toe Rag posted:

I was told both of these as well (California). I mostly ride alone so the blinker thing doesn't really come up, but the tapping your helmet is definitely in use.

Others:

Pushing your hand down, like you're dribbling an invisible basket ball: slow(ing) down. The other way around to speed up, although I use this for if someone faster comes up behind me that I see them and am making room for them to pass.

Yeah, I found this image of signs that could be used in group rides:

Many of these are the same or similar as what I learned in the military for communicating with vehicle drivers, except we had two hands available for signalling and also had signs for forward/reverse, steering, applying neutral+parking brake and the like when guiding a tank or something into a tight spot for example, also some formation/tactical stuff if the radios were not to be used for some reason.

What I meant was meeting some random rider going the opposite direction on the road and communicating by signs, not group ride situations. I guess there's not much apart from "cops" or "blinkers" that can be usefully conveyed in a situation like that. Maybe there are situations where conveying "hazard" or "slow down" would be useful I guess?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Riders in the UK nod to each other.

I have some speed bleeders I want to stick on the Fireblade at the same time as changing the brake fluid. I was originally planning to drain it, swap in the speed bleeders, refill, but this video I found he just undoes the old ones and quickly sticks in the new. I have ABS and want to avoid getting a load of air in the system if I can. Is this a reasonable approach?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EbArlJNYQE

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Invalido posted:

What I meant was meeting some random rider going the opposite direction on the road and communicating by signs, not group ride situations. I guess there's not much apart from "cops" or "blinkers" that can be usefully conveyed in a situation like that. Maybe there are situations where conveying "hazard" or "slow down" would be useful I guess?

I've used a very exaggerated "slow down" with oncoming riders when they're approaching a hazard or traffic pileup around the corner behind me. There's so much less time for the signal, I feel like "hazard" would be mistaken for a two-finger salute in places that do it.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
I think other than 3-4 well known ones like the head pat, you need to pre-arrange with riders that you ride with. Like if you’re on a long ride together, you’ll want to pre-arrange something for “stupid loving Sena stopped working”.

Something that’s never in that chart linked above and which I find useful is smacking my helmet once on the side to say “oops I’m an idiot” when I screw up in a benign way. Like if I realize I left my signal on and some car was held up passing me. At least the cars seem to get a kick out of it.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Invalido posted:

Maybe there are situations where conveying "hazard" or "slow down" would be useful I guess?

Certainly good for pointing out that there's an obstacle in the road ahead. I've seen it done with a foot as well while passing to the left/right of the object for others behind to keep an eye out for.

As for hand gestures, there's also one of "taking a drink from a glass" to indicate that you need to take a break (water, restroom, getting numb). More of something for longer multi-hour road trips.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's common to see hand signals on the trail wrt/ how many more riders are following

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Only hand signals I know, use, and have seen are wave hi somehow as you pass, and tap the top of your head to alert a hazard or trap. “Tap your head, Use your head, ahead.”

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's common to see hand signals on the trail wrt/ how many more riders are following

I just learned this from you, thanks. When I passed some ATV riders once I was wondering how I might hip them to my friend coming from around the bend but came up blank and just hoped nobody hosed up.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

So, uh... Is there anything that can cause a float valve to fail repeatedly, even if it you take apart a carburetor and it seems to be working.

My poo poo has just been leaking gas continually; I take off the carburetor, take the float out, make sure it still floats, realign the float on the pin, fiddle with the float value (with its little spring-loaded bullshit that you can't even see have an effect), put it on, test it, it doesn't leak, a block later, it's leaking again...???

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Has it got a removable float seat? Those have an oring around then that can fail and cause fuel to bypass the float needle entirely.

Alternatively, if there's crap built in m up inside the float seat, even a little bit, it can cause the needle to not seat properly.

I've also seen floats physically jam against the bowl housing because they're distorted or whatever.

The only way to set the float height on a system that has the little spring seat on the needle is to take the carb out and hold it partially upside down at an angle so the valve shuts but the spring isn't compressed.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Thanks. I'll check those things. I also have two spare carburetors, so if worse comes to worst, I'll just swap them.

I just don't get why it it would leak, then after fiddling with it, it would seal, and then it would leak again minutes afterwards. This isn't a bike that's been sitting, either. It's a commuter.

It's also funny, because, if I really need to use it, I can just ride it with the fuel valve OFF and occasionally open it to fill the float bowl, and it runs fine that way.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Has anyone used a stand-alone cheap gps speedometer on their bike? Apparently sustained heat above 80*C will demagnetize a magnet. I have a Beringer brake rotor that I put a little speedo magnet in the buttons and after maybe 30 minutes of kart track riding the speedo stopped working. The speedo magnet is no longer magnetized and I'm sure replacing it would just be a temporary fix until it overheats again. Looking at amazon there's a billion lovely options and just wanted to see if anyone else had tried this before and if it has legs or not.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That seems strange as I've used those magnet type sensors on different bicycles over multiple years in up to 115F temperatures. One bike used the same magnet over 20,000 miles / 7 years

Edit: ooof, 80C not F. Yeah that makes sense.

Double edit: wait a minute, Trail Tech uses the magnet type speedo on their units. I'm pretty sure I've got one mounted to the brake disc on my Klx300

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 23, 2023

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

TotalLossBrain posted:

This was the first signal I was taught when learning dirt, and seems pretty universal at OHV parks (I assume for very good reasons.) Left hand up, fingers for how many riders behind you.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Like my China bike exploded and I am sick of unknown parts\doing research. I would rather just go to partzilla and order parts for a known bike at this point.
My rear hub exploded along with a bunch of other things, like the brake pad ears also snapped off due to all sorts of craziness that happened. It's really shot, not worth fixing. Bearings shot. Axle bent. Not going to try to fix the Baodiao rear hub, it is dogshit. I ordered a OEM Honda wheel, hub, and cush drive insert from Partzilla, they are known to fit the clone bike I have.
A grom swingarm would also fit, if I shaved off a little bit on the frame with a grinder.
I am looking at Ebay swingarms....2018...2020...2016...oem Honda swingarms all have some rust on them.
Are there any non-junk aluminum swingarms? Known manufacturers? Do the OEM Grom or aftermarket grom chain tensioner adjustments fit aftermarket grom swingarms?
Sorta contradicting myself looking at non-oem parts but being sick of non-oem clone parts.
I am on the fence about replacing the swingarm - probably only will if the stock brake doesn't work with the new wheel and hub. Worried about the offset on the disk tbh. Using a grom or grom compatible swingarm, everything would fit and use known parts.
So loving annoying.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Go for it. If you end up needing spacers or misc aluminum adapters just use the webapp on https://sendcutsend.com/ to model up and order

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Like my China bike exploded and I am sick of unknown parts\doing research. I would rather just go to partzilla and order parts for a known bike at this point.

*snip*

So loving annoying.

This is the world of knockoff bikes. They're cheap, and basically disposable because good loving luck getting replacement parts.

If you've had fun with it as a proof-of-concept dirtbike to gently caress around and find out on, start saving money to buy an older Suzuki or Honda that they still make parts for. Yeah, even the older ones hold their value, but poo poo like this is why.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Couldn't you just get a normal bike

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
I mean I have a normal bike, the Kawasaki. I am on the little one a lot because it is easy to get in and out of the garage. It actually has a VIN\registerable\insurable\street legal. I'd rather just keep replacing all of the parts until nothing stock is left I guess. I am wondering if there are non-junk or known Grom alu swingarms? If not, they are all Thai ebay specials, I'll probably just go with the Grom swingarm if things don't work out. At some point it is going to be like 90% grom parts with a Daytona Anima 190 or YX or Lifan 150 engine. Once nothing stock is left on it it would be an OK bike. There are about 3000 miles on the tires...those should be changed at some point soon...

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 23, 2023

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Only do this if you enjoy fabricating a weird frankenbike together. It will be more expensive and ride shittier than just getting a mid-2000's yamaha wr250f

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My experience with Grom parts is that if they are Japanese (Takegawa / Kitaco / Yoshimura / etc) then they are probably well thought out and well made. Everything else can be hit and miss. I generally prefer OEM Honda parts though.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Thanks. I'll probably just stick with a Honda OEM swingarm _IF_ I replace it. The swingarm itself is fine, I just hate the chain slack adjusters, and now the chain slack adjusters are wrecked because they partially got sucked inside the swingarm.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

TotalLossBrain posted:

That seems strange as I've used those magnet type sensors on different bicycles over multiple years in up to 115F temperatures. One bike used the same magnet over 20,000 miles / 7 years

Edit: ooof, 80C not F. Yeah that makes sense.

Double edit: wait a minute, Trail Tech uses the magnet type speedo on their units. I'm pretty sure I've got one mounted to the brake disc on my Klx300

https://www.apexmagnets.com/news-how-tos/how-temperatures-affect-neodymium-magnets/

Extended exposure to temperatures over 80 deg C are harmful to neodymium magnets.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I ordered a $30 bicycle GPS thingy off amazon so we'll see how that works. The Trailtech Endurance had like a 1 second refresh rate so a GPS receiver won't be much worse

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
At 1,000 miles there is a service for my bike, change the oil, check torque on things like the exhaust, and adjust fuel injector synchronization. Would it be dumb to skip this, change the oil myself and just take it in for them to pull any codes? I don't know how important the fuel injector check is, or if it is important to have this on the bike's record that I took it in.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Doing it yourself would be totally fine from the bike's perspective but idk what it would mean for your warranty ie they might reject your claim if your engine blows up on the basis that you did the first oil change yourself.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Okay, than I may just do the first one there, just wanted to avoid the $300 glorified oil change. I'll find out through them though I am sure they will imply I need to do it with them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also check your local laws. A lot of places have laws about doing your own maintenance and how manufacturers can’t deny warranty claims over it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Anyone know if Partzilla ships partial orders?
Honda parts in stock or nearly in stock. Kawasaki backordered with no current date. I have both on the same order. Their chat service is non responsive 🙃

Edit: They don't. You need to contact customer service and remove the items not in stock. They responded eventually. Man...it is hard to find parts for a lot of things right now...

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 24, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Anyone know if Partzilla ships partial orders?
Honda parts in stock or nearly in stock. Kawasaki backordered with no current date. I have both on the same order. Their chat service is non responsive 🙃

Edit: They don't. You need to contact customer service and remove the items not in stock. They responded eventually. Man...it is hard to find parts for a lot of things right now...

Revzilla will ship partial orders if you want to reorder through them.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

How functional do y'all suppose Apple's Crash Detection works in a street bike context?

The GPS trackers always seemed like overkill for my riding which is 100% public 99% paved roads. I've never owned an Apple phone because I see no reason to learn a new mobile OS but since flagship phones have stagnated in the past few years Crash Detection is the kind of feature I'd switch for, if it works.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I still manually detect my crashes :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I still manually detect my crashes :(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

FBS posted:

How functional do y'all suppose Apple's Crash Detection works in a street bike context?

The GPS trackers always seemed like overkill for my riding which is 100% public 99% paved roads. I've never owned an Apple phone because I see no reason to learn a new mobile OS but since flagship phones have stagnated in the past few years Crash Detection is the kind of feature I'd switch for, if it works.

https://www.specialized.com/ch/en/stories/angi

I ride with this sensor from specialized stuck onto the back of my motorcycle helmet. Funny enough I don’t have it on my bicycle helmets.

Gives my wife some piece of mind while I’m out brapping around. It uses an accelerometer to detect crashes. There is even a test mode in the app to try it out if you want to toss/shake your helmet violently. If it detects a crash, you have a 15-90 seconds (you can set this) to disable the alarm before it sends your coordinates to your specified contact via text or email. You download a free app and you hit go before your ride, there is an option to gps record the ride if you want.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

FBS posted:

Apparently well enough that at the last couple track days I did they made an announcement to people to turn it off or leave their phones behind when they're in a session (didn't realize people took their phones on track but apparently it's a thing), it had happened at least once and they wanted to make sure another ambulance wasn't dispatched to the track :lol: Sounds like that was an expensive day for someone

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

People take their phones on track because there are lap timer apps which also show data from the phones accelerometer(s) such as lean angle, lat/long acceleration, speed, elevation, etc. It's going to be a crude measurement, especially if the phone is on your body, but a fun novelty I guess? Pirelli has a free one, but trying to open it now, it seems like it no longer works :hehe: I used it once or twice, but I ride in a one piece now, so I just leave my phone back at the pit.

I found these old screenshots of it. Yeah definitely not believe these G and lean numbers. This was before I put rear sets on my bike, and I seriously doubt it had 50˚ of lean available. I was scraping all the time. I probably had the phone in my pocket (two piece), so probably what it detected based on hang off (or just getting jostled around). You can see the GPS refresh rate is not nearly fast enough nor the connection reliable enough.

Top speed 83mph :wth:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ah I could see that. Though at the same rider's meetings, they've also been strongly suggesting people not listen to music while out on the track so I think a variety of factors are at play at the ones I go to!

I just found out if you have a GoPro with GPS, you can upload the file to one of the software programs that will extract it for you, I've been playing with one lately and it's a lot of fun. If you set up the camera on a flat surface on your bike, you can also do lean angle which seems pretty accurate. I'm using the GoPro software from Race Technology, it was able to find my track and overlay the session info on it and let you set up lap markers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Anyone know what could cause a carbed bike to run RICH at 1/3rd to full throttle?

I recently fixed my leaking float valve, and in the process, decided to try fitting my stock carburetor that I had swapped out many years ago for an e-bay special. The stock carburetor is as its name suggests, stock. In doing so, the motorcycle would not pull above 1/3rd throttle. Sounded like a 2 stroke idling when I tried.

I thought that this might be a lean condition, so to test this, I removed the air horn leading to the airbox, which has taught me in the past that this leans out the mixture going into the bike. To my surprise, the response and power immediately IMPROVED (could get to about 3/5ths throttle now). Which points to a rich condition. Which is baffling me. I have not modified this carburetor...

Edit: The slide/diaphragm can be ruled out. In curiosity, I exchanged them with one of my other carburetors. When I used the ebay carb with this stock carb's slide/diaphragm, it pulls great, just as it always had with its own slide/diaphragm. Meanwhile, the stock carb sputtered and 2-stroked and could not reach full power, just like before.

Slide Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 26, 2023