Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I would hurt myself so fast on that Trail 125

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Got my annual motorcycle trip in, and finally got to rent the Africa Twin (it's been rented out the last couple of years). We rode from Calgary out to a campground just outside Balfour BC (near Nelson), then on the second day looped through Nelson and back to Cranbrook then up to Radium for our campsite there, then back to Calgary on the last day. Here's my mini review of the Africa Twin, and comparisons to the Triumph Tiger 800 XRX I had last year.
The AT has a far sweeter engine and drivetrain compared to the triumph. It's more engaging, sounds better, the transmission is better, basically put that engine in the tiger and suddenly the tiger is not a characterless conveyance with nice suspension.
The rest of the AT though? The seat is horrible. My rear end was crying out for respite by the time we hit our ~300-350km fuel stop. It was painful by 250km.
The non adjustable windscreen super-duper sucks, and I had to remove the brim from my AGV AX9 because anything above about 60km/h felt like sticking my head in a subwoofer. Even without the brim, highway speed brought on some weird eyeball vibration. I debated just removing the windscreen and putting it back on when I returned the bike.
The ergos weren't as good as the Tiger, the pegs felt a little cramped, but the Tiger was all farkled with risers and huge metal off-road pegs and such so it's not a like for like comparison there.
The Tiger had much more plush suspension. Not that the AT was bad, but it wasn't magic carpet smooth like the Tiger.
Ultimately, if I had to buy one, I'd probably buy the AT because you can fix the seat and windscreen and even suspension with aftermarket stuff, but it's like, I shouldn't have to, given that it'd probably add a few thousand to the price to do it. The engine reminded me a lot of my old Multistrada 1000. Similar feel, power, power delivery, and sound. It does sound good when you rip on it, and it has a nice lumpy vibration that lets you feel that there's an engine doing things down there to move the bike.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The 2021 Yamahas are starting to show up online and the new R3 is rad as hell.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
gently caress. I'm officially old, because that red-blue 3D glasses paint job gives me a headache. BRING BACK THE PEARL WHITE, YAMAHA

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Rolo posted:

this makes me think of fruit roll-ups

e: I mean that as a good thing btw

FBS fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 5, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

gently caress. I'm officially old, because that red-blue 3D glasses paint job gives me a headache. BRING BACK THE PEARL WHITE, YAMAHA

Looks like an early 90's exup to me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Rolo posted:

Bold :pcgaming: new graphics for the model year 2021.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

That was one of the color schemes they sent me in an email survey. I liked the purple one better :/

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Reminds me of these toys from the 90s.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jazzzzz posted:

Put your glasses on old man.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
This weekend was a major clean up and organization effort in my garage in preparation for a couple projects.
Came across this little guy and got a bit nostalgic..

Looking down at Albuquerque about 5500 feet below.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
I grew up with a CT110 and I rode that thing loving hard in the Colorado mountains in summers. It's got a dual range transmission, like a tiny tractor! Love that they're bringing it back.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I keep trying to get my buddy to pick one up. The fact that they're like $4k new makes the old ones selling for $2k on Craigslist look like a joke.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
New ones aren't dual range though, for some reason that option has gone the way of the dodo. (They're geared low though, so they should be okay off-road, also it's a semi-auto centrifugal clutch, chainsaw style)

Edit: and if you're really comparing them to the old ones they're about double the power

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 8, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

In the course of getting ready to move I'm throwing out some old magazines but taking one last leaf through a few of them including some ten-year-old issues of Sport Rider. I found a product that was, sadly, too pure for this world: https://www.motosport.com/sportech-cranker-tank-bag-obs

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Mirconium posted:

New ones aren't dual range though, for some reason that option has gone the way of the dodo. (They're geared low though, so they should be okay off-road, also it's a semi-auto centrifugal clutch, chainsaw style)

Edit: and if you're really comparing them to the old ones they're about double the power

Well. I'm also not so much of an 80 lb child anymore, either.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

FBS posted:

In the course of getting ready to move I'm throwing out some old magazines but taking one last leaf through a few of them including some ten-year-old issues of Sport Rider. I found a product that was, sadly, too pure for this world: https://www.motosport.com/sportech-cranker-tank-bag-obs

GDPR can’t read that website. Post a pic of the bag?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Blast that bass directly into my abs :wom:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I just discovered my bike’s flash to pass button. Not sure which thread that was but thanks CA for getting me to look.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I am such a sucker for wheels that aren't painted black. That looks great!

I've often wondered what my grey Ninja would look like with Yama-style neon green wheels. Or even Kawa deep green. I think green would be a great accent colour to build off, even when I had the gaudy Kawasaki Ninja 650 stickers slapped all over my fairings. I was thinking about gradually phasing in some green elements like brake lines just to lean into the colour a little.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 8, 2020

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Gold/dark bronze wheels look great with dark grey paint, especially metallics, but with that flat "armor" grey color on your bike I think I'd lean towards something obnoxious, like a half white/half Kawi green wheel.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Gold/dark bronze wheels look great with dark grey paint, especially metallics, but with that flat "armor" grey color on your bike I think I'd lean towards something obnoxious, like a half white/half Kawi green wheel.

Post the picture, Coydog.

Nevermind, the one I'm thinking of has black wheels.
Anyhow,

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 8, 2020

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
:argh: I will never not post the picture!

I don't like kawi green so I'd say go with Hot pink for wheels if you want a splash of color.

This is a perfect example of the difference between gold wheels [Front] and "gold (actually puke orange)" wheels [Rear]. Gold wheels are awesome. "gold" wheels aren't gold and are gross. When we got cheap chinese flashlights that were "gold" that looked like that, we wrote it off as garbage anodizing QC. But then so many companies realized people are colorblind and just call that trash gold.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

FBS posted:

this makes me think of fruit roll-ups

Hell yess this is a boss af colorway

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

Hell yess this is a boss af colorway

Yeah I had some Matchbox cars like that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think this is the green I always go to when I think of awesomely obnoxious green wheels/accent.

I'd forsake Kawasaki green if I could get my wheels powdercoated in that fluorescent green/yellow. No chance I'd be able to find accompanying brake lines though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Martytoof posted:

I think this is the green I always go to when I think of awesomely obnoxious green wheels/accent.

I'd forsake Kawasaki green if I could get my wheels powdercoated in that fluorescent green/yellow. No chance I'd be able to find accompanying brake lines though.

These guys got lots of color options

https://www.coremoto.com/product_p/cc2089.htm

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I'll be honest, I have a MT-09 on the short list for next bike purely based on this colour scheme:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I hope y'all like wheel cleaning

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

FBS posted:

I hope y'all like wheel cleaning

That's what rain is for!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Finger Prince posted:

That's what rain is for!

lol

This is 500 miles since my last wheel cleaning with one ten-minute ride in the rain ~200 miles ago

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

So as a follow up to where ever the discussion was earlier, USAA does insurance motorcycles directly but only in like 4 states, CA being one of those. Was finally able to go back to USAA this month after the last of a group of accidents rolled off my 5 year history and I’m saving about 75% compared to what I was getting from progressive through USAA. A bit more coverage and $1k -> $500 deductibles even too, though part of that savings is the multi vehicle discount from USAA, however I did have multi bike discount with progressive before. But uh cool beans, if you can qualify for USAA, highly recommend.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Do you know the other States by chance?

Apparently they only insure in States that have a law that if you insure cars you must insure motorcycles, CA being one of those.

Weird that USAA doesn't bother, the military having strict guidelines on safety gear, and dropping motorcycle fatalities by 70% over the last 10 years or so.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Elviscat posted:

Do you know the other States by chance?

Apparently they only insure in States that have a law that if you insure cars you must insure motorcycles, CA being one of those.

Weird that USAA doesn't bother, the military having strict guidelines on safety gear, and dropping motorcycle fatalities by 70% over the last 10 years or so.

I think I remember the nice lady said New Hampshire as one of them but I wasn’t listening too hard. If you are a member I’d definitely call and ask, was way cheaper. I agree they really should just offer it to all their members though :/

E: also I remember from when I first asked USAA when I got my first motorcycle ages ago that they will only insure riders licensed for over 3 years, which does play into the military enforcing safety equipment reducing danger thing you mentioned so v0v

TheBacon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 9, 2020

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

All the new street bikes look so sleek and nice. Then I look at the new adventure bikes and I see boxy bland boring.

But then again who buys an adventure bike for looks instead of features/functions.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Keegers posted:

All the new street bikes look so sleek and nice. Then I look at the new adventure bikes and I see boxy bland boring.

But then again who buys an adventure bike for looks instead of features/functions.

Boomers, and the features/functions ARE the looks.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Another 2021 sport bike livery update:

The GSXR-600 100th anniversary edition

Posting on mobile, pic may be big.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

GSX-Rs all look the same to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m all for accent colour but the green stripe on the wheels is kind of out of nowhere with the blue/gray livery. Not really complementary.