Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mirconium posted:

does that include theft coverage? Around here dirtbikes/dualsports get stolen way more than sportbikes do, but maybe that's just Baltimore.

I live in Charlotte and people get into my gated parking garage if there’s a dual sport.

My neighbor got his stolen then got his replacement stolen. Like dude just move if you gotta have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lmao at those insurance rates — I was paying $75 per MONTH for my Ninja 250.

Ontario is so garbage for bikes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Martytoof posted:

Holy crap that’s almost as much as my car.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Ontario is so garbage.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, when I started riding in Ontario it was $1800/yr for insurance. $150/mo. Granted I was a new rider and under 25, but it was also a 40-year-old 350cc Honda that struggles to hit 90mph downhill. And there wasn't even the option for collision coverage because the bike was "too old" -- liability only. Just a total ripoff. They wouldn't even be paying out in case of a crash! Canada has universal healthcare!!

I asked the lady if I could save some money by only getting six months of insurance, since I wouldn't be riding in the winter, and she got really haughty and said "Oh no absolutely not, we've already factored that in." Ugh.

Now in California I pay $350~ a year for two bikes with a million dollars of liability.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Martytoof posted:

FWIW those insurance rates seem way cheap to me. Insurance requirements in the US are also really low. Even in California you only need like 15k of liability, which if you put someone in the hospital covers maybe a single day? I carry much higher coverages and my insurance is closer to $50-60/month (I pay annually and don't remember the exact number), and doesn't include collision, which is just way too expensive, something like an extra $150/month. I guess my risk profile is bad.

I'm not saying Ontario isn't bad, just those rates are suspiciously low to me.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I think last year I paid £1200 for insurance.
This year it came down to £900 or something.

London is the worst.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just spent like half an hour freaking out because my bike wouldn't start. Reconnected the battery, checked the fuses, no loving idea what the issue is. Is the starter motor knackered? How much is that gonna cost me to replace?

It wasn't in neutral.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah to be fair I actually don’t really consider my insurance rates terribly onerous until I put them up against other areas. Maybe this speaks to some financial privilege I enjoy but I’m happy to pay my $1500/year for my 650 with good liability without much of a second thought.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

:canada:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

I think last year I paid £1200 for insurance.
This year it came down to £900 or something.

London is the worst.

Sigh.

£670 annual comprehensive insurance for the Harley. £95 annual VED (tax).
£65 third party, fire and theft insurance for the Honda 125. £20 annual VED (tax).

Annual MOTs are about £30 a piece.

:scotland:

edit: added tax and MOT info too.

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 21, 2021

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Season plates for the R6 And SV 650 cost me 87 Euro insurance and 32 Euro taxes per year. For both bikes together :hundi:

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

My 1999 sv650s costs me something like €35 per month. Dirt cheap because i opted for a limit of 5000 or 7500km a year (i don't recall exactly how many) but i can ride year round.
And then 11 euro per month in road tax.

They don't register each year how many km you rode, so if the average is okay from the time you insured till the time you get an accident, you're gonna be fine.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

My 2007 650 Vstrom is about 33 Euros a month for insurance, full coverage including fire, theft, vandalism, animal collision and own error into the ditch. No taxes or yearly inspections for motorcycles here.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I pay 120€ mandatory insurance (I think with an increased protection sum)
120€ theft vandalism etc. (Basically anything but breaking it myself)
140€ Motor tax
381€ per year for my CB500X

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My state is supposedly going into the 60’s later this week. Gonna go ahead and get my bike lubed and detailed when I get home tomorrow.

Woo!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

$278 / 6mo for my Energica Ego with full coverage. Not bad, imo.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
AU$65 a month for fully comp + road tax/third party on a DRZ400SM. Has been about the same for the past 5 years across multiple states.

mincedgarlic
Jan 4, 2005

I've been blown up, take me to the hospital.

Not exactly sure what thread this fits in but it looks p cool.

https://twitter.com/MotoAmerica1/status/1364696612522631169?s=20

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I would watch a bagger series but no fancy Ohlins suspension that's cheating, oem setups only.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

I would watch a bagger series but no fancy Ohlins suspension that's cheating, oem setups only.

Tbh I think the poor factory ground clearance would stifle rider skill expression in favour of ever-greater horsepower. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I wish I could post this in the pictures thread, but I had a dream last night that Honda made a new Rune. It was satin white with charcoal striping and accents. Somehow the bulk of the bike was behind the rider... It had an enormous booty. The footrests were somehow attached with little struts, sort of like long steering dampers, so that they were adjustable and something like stirrups. It was very feet forward.
Anyway, I hope to you're taking notes, Honda.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I really want to get a small bike for messing around, like a 250 or 300 or something. But jesus loving christ, they seem to have cancelled all of them for this years lineup and there appears to be absolutely 0 used models. I would have to pay about double for a used 250 of what I would pay for every other 1000cc bike.
Seriously, my country seems to consist of 90% liter bikes on the used market.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

I really want to get a small bike for messing around, like a 250 or 300 or something. But jesus loving christ, they seem to have cancelled all of them for this years lineup and there appears to be absolutely 0 used models. I would have to pay about double for a used 250 of what I would pay for every other 1000cc bike.

Buy a 1000cc and pull 3 of the spark plug leads off?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Finger Prince posted:

When I was having carb issues with the Rex a couple years ago and only two cylinders were getting fuel, it sure didn't feel like a 550. More like a 50cc scooter. Now that I think about it, that's probably because the dry cylinders had turned into air compressors and it might have actually run somewhat ok if I'd yanked the plugs .

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

When I was having carb issues with the Rex a couple years ago and only two cylinders were getting fuel, it sure didn't feel like a 550. More like a 50cc scooter. Now that I think about it, that's probably because the dry cylinders had turned into air compressors and it might have actually run somewhat ok if I'd yanked the plugs .

I was going to say pull the plugs out, but then I thought what about the fuel?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Finger Prince posted:

I was going to say pull the plugs out, but then I thought what about the fuel?

Just think of it as total loss cooling :pseudo:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

just get a gixxer brah

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

Truly a bike you can "grow into".

I actually wouldn't mind a bike you could put in "low displacement" mode as needed. But you could still rev it out and bang through the gears. No, I don't know how that would work.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean cylinder deactivation is a feature that's been explored on some cars, so I assume like that, with variable valve poo poo to stop the other cylinders having to fight compression on the dead ones.

Alternatively just a plain big motor with an exceptionally low rev limiter on it that comes off when you hit the TURBO MODE button :rice:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just a big NOS button that sends a WOT signal to the ECU while pressed. Countdown timer like ecigs comes up on the gauges; 5 second limits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

I actually wouldn't mind a bike you could put in "low displacement" mode as needed. But you could still rev it out and bang through the gears. No, I don't know how that would work.

This is called a LAMS mt07, there is a plate that stops you opening it past 1/3rd, but you can still rev all the way. Gotta get the screwdriver out to swap modes though.

But also all the big electronic boondoggle bikes already have selectable power modes.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 26, 2021

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That throttle block seems annoying, but also a decent solution. If I get a fancy pants future bike next, something that neuters it is a requirement. I don't always want to go balls out.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Coydog posted:

Isnt that just rain mode on half of these ride by wire bikes

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m so excited the bike posts are gonna start ramping up as we get into riding season 2021

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coydog posted:

That throttle block seems annoying, but also a decent solution. If I get a fancy pants future bike next, something that neuters it is a requirement. I don't always want to go balls out.

Let's see if I've got this straight... You don't trust your right hand enough to not get your balls out at inappropriate times?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

I’m so excited the bike posts are gonna start ramping up as we get into riding season 2021

I haven’t ridden in two years and I cannot tell you how much I wish I could just sleep until summer.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Finger Prince posted:

Let's see if I've got this straight... You don't trust your right hand enough to not get your balls out at inappropriate times?

Sometimes I like to give my balls a break, ya know?

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

Sometimes I like to give my balls a break, ya know?

Bike wearing you down Travis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rolo posted:

I’m putting mine in crates and sending them on a 6 month solo journey to the other side of the world right as the weather is getting good :(

Gonna have to live vicariously through the forums.