Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

knox_harrington posted:

Lol this isn't relevant. What the gently caress?

TheBacon posted:

I think it was trying to illustrate that fatalities/danger escalates exponentially with speed

Yeah, I should have quoted someone for context.

The point I was getting at was someone riding a scooter in 20-30 mph traffic all day probably shouldn’t think much about safety gear.

Or if you’re objecting to me using pedestrian stats, it just seemed like a good proxy for data about squishy humans bouncing off things in traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
My threshold for road rash would be < 5 mph

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A number of years ago a poster here related the story of their cousin, who had fallen off his Harley at a near standstill while turning right at an intersection. He was not wearing a helmet and he hit his head on the curb. The cerebral hemorrhage gave him brain damage and he developed a permanent limp and slurred speech.

I think about this a lot when I am riding down a twisty mountain road, head to toe in armored leather, and there's a guy ahead of me going the same speed on a triathlon bike with no suspension and tires as big around as my thumb, wearing what is essentially a bathing suit.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh absolutely

Also that was an Always Sunny joke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC-OucPbBCo&t=154s

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TotalLossBrain posted:

My threshold for road rash would be < 5 mph

Yeah .. I fell over on my bicycle 18 months ago at, like, 3mph (front tire slipped on a train track in the rain), and even then managed to get road rash on my elbow. At 30mph, you're gonna slide. Whenever I ride a scooter, I always wear helmet, jacket, gloves. Usually I'll wear footwear, and sometimes I'll wear riding jeans, but riding with nothing at all is a high risk low reward scenario for me.

I see more and more people riding without helmets at all, which is kind of surprising. Not just scooters, but motorcycles too. I rode my bicycle to the park this afternoon, maybe 2 miles, and saw someone on a dual sport wearing a bicycle helmet, and someone on a madass 125? wearing no helmet. I also see the same guy on a Moto Guzzi V7, wearing a sport coat and loafers, ride (the wrong way) up to the coffee shop and order a macchiato lol

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah .. I fell over on my bicycle 18 months ago at, like, 3mph (front tire slipped on a train track in the rain), and even then managed to get road rash on my elbow. At 30mph, you're gonna slide. Whenever I ride a scooter, I always wear helmet, jacket, gloves. Usually I'll wear footwear, and sometimes I'll wear riding jeans, but riding with nothing at all is a high risk low reward scenario for me.

I see more and more people riding without helmets at all, which is kind of surprising. Not just scooters, but motorcycles too. I rode my bicycle to the park this afternoon, maybe 2 miles, and saw someone on a dual sport wearing a bicycle helmet, and someone on a madass 125? wearing no helmet. I also see the same guy on a Moto Guzzi V7, wearing a sport coat and loafers, ride (the wrong way) up to the coffee shop and order a macchiato lol

You could make the argument that all fashion is performative, but I think the counterpoint to that argument is "no, I'm talking about this rear end in a top hat" and point to Signore Italia.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

A number of years ago a poster here related the story of their cousin, who had fallen off his Harley at a near standstill while turning right at an intersection. He was not wearing a helmet and he hit his head on the curb. The cerebral hemorrhage gave him brain damage and he developed a permanent limp and slurred speech.

I think about this a lot when I am riding down a twisty mountain road, head to toe in armored leather, and there's a guy ahead of me going the same speed on a triathlon bike with no suspension and tires as big around as my thumb, wearing what is essentially a bathing suit.

I think about this too now that I'm the bicycle guy half the time. I credit extensive motorcycle experience for keeping me out of trouble thus far.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My partner knows a couple people who died doing that kind of bicycling and one guy who used to be a huge prick who crashed his bicycle and developed a whole new personality.

Apparently it was an improvement, but that is not the norm. Mostly what I see at work is people with TBI’s just trying to find someone who will help them regain some of their old life back.

So uh … wear your helmets!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My girlfriend is a keen cyclist and back in London did a crit racing league, and subsequently track league. The amount of crashing and injuries is incredible, mostly collar bones and road rash but sometimes a lot worse. They all wear helmets and I'm not aware of any TBIs. But yeah it is pretty dangerous.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
In ~24,000 miles of cycling over 7 years I managed to go down with a road bike only once or twice. Any road rash sucks and you really don't have any options for protective clothing. One of the times I crashed I was wearing a long sleeve mountain bike shirt. It was a <10mph fall in a corner with gravel I didn't see. It still hosed up a ~1 inch sport on my sleeve (tattoo) permanently. poo poo sucks.
To think that I've actually gone 56 mph on the same bike in less clothes :allears:

I've crashed more so with my mountain bike, but not much more tbh. I crash more on my dirt bike now, but it's generally much softer terrain

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah saw some dude on a proper scooter wearing just a bicycle helmet. Like, do better.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

For the record I don’t think I have seen anyone here sans helmet, just other gear. And no brain buckets, but cast majority are 3/4 with face shields.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'm a cyclist. Most of my speed is 20-30km/h. Even at low speeds you can expect a nasty abrasion. Got a few of those in my life. Never fell on the part of my head that a cycle helmet protects.
Only fell on the part that would be protected by a full face helmet but i'm not gonna wear a motorcycle helmet on a bicycle lol

I don't wear a helmet for my day to day commute. Cycling conditions in the netherlands are so safe that although a helmet would reduce the risk, making them mandatory would move people from bicycles to mopeds (where helmets are mandatory) and the higher speed + the fact that you ride between the cars instead of on a cycle path would mean more deaths anyway.

I am gonna buy a bicycle with drop bars sooner or later, and with that posture, together with the higher speed, i am gonna get a cycle helmet. Your field of view is mich worse with drop bars than on a more upright bicycle.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I ride bicycles a whole lot and crits just seem really dumb to me. You race a tight circuit in a business park and crash and get all mad at each other and have pissy little man dramas. At least that’s what I can tell from YouTube

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

A MIRACLE posted:

I ride bicycles a whole lot and crits just seem really dumb to me. You race a tight circuit in a business park and crash and get all mad at each other and have pissy little man dramas. At least that’s what I can tell from YouTube

Yeah I think that's why she ultimately ended up on track, which seems to have less frequent but higher consequence crashes. The crit series did seem to be a drama factory.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A bicyclist in my town died about 15 years ago after losing her balance while stationary because a bus scared her at a traffic light, and she fell and hit her temple right into the curb. Had she worn a helmet she probably wouldn't have had more than a scratched arm if that.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Crits can be fun unless it’s an office park rectangle. Also once I got into the category pro/1/2 races (they are often combined depending on event), it was much safer because everyone knew what they were doing for the most part.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Sagebrush posted:

A buddy of mine was telling me about his Coleman minibike, and how he doesn't wear a helmet bombing around his neighborhood or campsites because it doesn't even get above 20mph. I told him to think about standing upright in his living room, and then just falling backwards to the floor without stopping himself, and how would that feel? Okay that's 0mph to hardwood or carpet. Think about any speed higher than that with rocks or cement.

He wears a helmet now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was once riding my Elite 250 from the back of my house to the front, literally 40 feet or so. I hit the brakes to turn on to the driveway, vastly underestimated how not grippy the street tires were in wet grass, and had the front end wash out on me. I fell perfectly so that I smacked my head on the corner of the driveway concrete, right by my temple.

It could have been really bad, and thankfully wasnt, I just got a tiny bit of road rash on my head, but man, I never considered that I needed a helmet for that, nor did I consider that I could have taken a corner of concrete to the temple.

Am I saying that you need to gear up to walk your bike out of the garage? No, but some weird poo poo can happen when you dont expect it

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 5, 2023

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Strife posted:

A buddy of mine was telling me about his Coleman minibike, and how he doesn't wear a helmet bombing around his neighborhood or campsites because it doesn't even get above 20mph. I told him to think about standing upright in his living room, and then just falling backwards to the floor without stopping himself, and how would that feel? Okay that's 0mph to hardwood or carpet. Think about any speed higher than that with rocks or cement.

He wears a helmet now.

Yeah, my version of a similar scenario: Imagine you’re running as fast as you can, which for an average person is only like 10 mph, and, without bracing yourself with your arms, just smashing your head face first on the brick of your house. Now double that speed on what most folks would consider a slow road.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I fell perfectly so that I smacked my head on the corner of the driveway concrete, right by my temple.

It could have been really bad

:staredog:

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Don't need braincells to post!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

agreed

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I’ve ate poo poo plenty of times on my MTB and thankfully the few times I’ve needed it the standard bike helmet saved my rear end. However about a month ago I tripped over a vacuum cord and hit my head on my coffee table and woke up a few minutes later in a pool of blood.

Head injuries are no joke and while I admit I’m not an ATGATT poster child I won’t even look sideways at my bike without my helmet on.

I’m always shocked at how willing some of my friends are to grab one of those rental bikes/scooters and bomb around without any head protection. I’ll spend up for the Lyft.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 5, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

All mopeds including the 25km/h ones have a helmet mandate one now. The rental ones come with a helmet in the underseat compartment now!

They were a convenient way to travel before, but ewwwwww ain't gonna wear a random size helmet shared by countless people. I'll go on my folding bicycle, thanks.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Planning to do a loop around the Olympic Peninsula on Friday and Saturday starting from Port Angeles. Going to break it up into 2 days on account it being a lot of distance to cover and that the ferry schedule back to Victoria from Port Angeles is really only worthwhile if I stay overnight. Seems like a lot of cool stuff to see. I was thinking of doing a counter-clockwise loop based on this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oly...8!3e0?entry=ttu

Not sure if I'll camp somewhere, I could probably fit my tent, bag, and pad in my softbags but not much else, or just find a cheap motel somewhere in the boonies.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
If you pull a long day and don’t want to camp on night 2 I’d recommend the Chevy Chase Cabins. Little bit off the route but I’ve used it as a stop off for some peninsula runs in the past. Port Townsend isn’t too bad of a town to spend an afternoon in.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Probably not an ideal location given your starting point but there's a 2-wheeled only campground a little bit off the 110 between Forks and La Push and looks like it might be a good time: http://www.rainforestrun.com/about.html

Here's the entrance, can't miss it: https://goo.gl/maps/xkheAPkeyjmWKaKu5

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LimaBiker posted:

All mopeds including the 25km/h ones have a helmet mandate one now. The rental ones come with a helmet in the underseat compartment now!

They were a convenient way to travel before, but ewwwwww ain't gonna wear a random size helmet shared by countless people. I'll go on my folding bicycle, thanks.

Bring your own headgear or worst case, a shower cap.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

numberoneposter posted:

Planning to do a loop around the Olympic Peninsula on Friday and Saturday starting from Port Angeles. Going to break it up into 2 days on account it being a lot of distance to cover and that the ferry schedule back to Victoria from Port Angeles is really only worthwhile if I stay overnight. Seems like a lot of cool stuff to see. I was thinking of doing a counter-clockwise loop based on this:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Oly...8!3e0?entry=ttu

Not sure if I'll camp somewhere, I could probably fit my tent, bag, and pad in my softbags but not much else, or just find a cheap motel somewhere in the boonies.

Re: camping. I've ridden through there and bunk-a-bikered. There's quite a few rad folks that'll put you up for free on the peninsula.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

epswing posted:

Yeah, my version of a similar scenario: Imagine you’re running as fast as you can, which for an average person is only like 10 mph, and, without bracing yourself with your arms, just smashing your head face first on the brick of your house. Now double that speed on what most folks would consider a slow road.

Ive got a hosed up shoulder from basically full speed running into a wall in highschool after attempting to hit a tackle dummy and instead hitting a wall shoulder first. I use that as an example of why I wear a loving helmet all the time.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I think I'm going to stay at a cheap motel in Ocean Shores rather than deal with camping on this trip. I want to go moto camping soon but I'll probably just stick to something on Vancouver Island later this summer, I know tons of spots already.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yea I would do moto credit card touring first and figure out the easy parts then add in the extra complication of camping. I’m gonna start doing moto camping here in pnw this year. But first have a hotel trip up to Bellingham and back from humboldt for work on the Honda.

I might also go sailboat shopping while I’m up there

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

LimaBiker posted:

Occasionally my work, starved for ways to distract people from the fact that our jobs suck, will do things like get everyone on the team out for go-kart racing. Every time that happens, I bring my own helmet, because I have a rule about putting rented things on my head. It's kind of awkward because people think I'm super into go-karting because I brought my own helmet, but in reality I'm just super into not having head lice.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Helmets are like underwear. You don’t want to share them with people, especially strangers, except in the event of total emergency

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Relevant to the discussion: https://www.theonion.com/pool-owner-has-bathing-suit-that-touched-his-penis-you-1819575301

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I discovered a new Stupid Motorcycle Trick! I can make an I4 sound like a triple, and all it takes is a: not having access to anything other than E10 gasoline, and b. not switching to reserve for a couple months!

(Remembering the issues I had last year with garbage gas down at the reserve pickup, I decided to start switching to Res for the first ten minutes or so after a fill-up, so I did that at lunch. Turns out there's some garbage gas down at the reserve pickup right now, and one cylinder briefly dropped out. Power suddenly weakened and the exhaust note sounded all gargly like a Subaru. It came back in a couple minutes after I put the petcock back to regular. There's a filter in the gas line now, so I'm reasonably sure it's a case of nonburnable liquid and not debris.)

Phy fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 9, 2023

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I don't understand how older gas can stay static at the bottom of a tank after the agitation of filling the tank up with new gas

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
It's not "old gas", it's water because of e10 blend. Etanol in gasoline (and I think in significantly much lesser degree gasoline itself) absorbs water from air. Water is heavier than gasoline and will sit at the bottom (if water is 1, gas is 0.6 afair) and when in the tank does not blend out again that much. Unless you routinely ride your bike upside down.

Reserve is just a lower drain outlet in the same tank. So never using reserve in theory can collect water over the long term.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

It's not "old gas", it's water because of e10 blend. Etanol in gasoline (and I think in significantly much lesser degree gasoline itself) absorbs water from air. Water is heavier than gasoline and will sit at the bottom (if water is 1, gas is 0.6 afair) and when in the tank does not blend out again that much. Unless you routinely ride your bike upside down.

Reserve is just a lower drain outlet in the same tank. So newer using reserve in theory can collect water over the long term.

Yeah it's this. I would recommend draining the tank fully at this point so it doesn't start rusting.