Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had the day off so I took the sv to the mountains again. The weather couldn't have been better and the leaves were in full bloom.After riding for hours I turned to head the 1.5 hour drive back home. Rolled on the throttle a little bit and the chain snapped leaving me stranded with no cell signal at 530 when all the shops are closed.

Some very nice people with cell coverage pulled over, helped me find an open shop, and waited while I arranged things with them. Even though they were minutes from close, Union powersports had someone there who drove to pick up my bike after hours and set up to repair the bike tomorrow. The pain of having to have a friend pick me up and to have to drive mack up here to pick up the bike really sucks. That said, at least I didn't have to arrange a tow and wait hours for help. It could have snapped mid corner or some place without a shoulder, too, so I got lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
WELL I JUST HATE THESE TWO WHEELED DEATHTRAPS. I was minding my own business, a mere TWO WEEKS into bike ownership, when THE MAIN DRIVING PART of the bike broke. I mean, if they cant even get that right what are these good for. Clearly these "motorcycles" are just a passing fad.

Really though I'm hoping all my problems were chain related. It didn't look loose, but it may have been or installed wrong or some odd scenario related to it. The shop I left it with seemed like it was staffed with very skilled cycle enthusiasts. The guy who picked me up had been riding since he was a kid. I'm sure my bike is in good hands and everything will get sorted out.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I spoke with the shop working on my bike and they are replacing the chain and sprocket set. They were going to try and get me out with just a chain, but they saw some "odd marks" on the front sprocket and were not comfortable leaving it as is. I asked them what caused this and got a definitive "The chain was installed incorrectly. We have checked the rest of the bike and found nothing loose or out of the ordinary in the axels or tightness of any components."

While the wheel was adjusted to the furthest point back, the chain didn't look loose. Maybe an inch or two of play. Certainly not like that guy in the video. Incinerating $300 (including tow) right off the bat isn't fun, nor is putting a friend out to take 2 hrs to the shop to pick up the bike. Not having a bike right now is the LEAST fun. That said, it's a used vehicle and not brand new off the lot so stuff happens.

I check over the bike before getting on it most times (tclocs). I should be doing it every time but I do keep a close eye on things. It's apparent that a mechanical issue while riding can end much worse than on a car. The issue I've reported previously was completely non reproducible. Wheels and axels were OK, it happened twice in 600 miles, then performed flawlessly every other time. Above what I did, the only thing to do was ride it. A shop wouldn't have been able to reproduce it any better than I could, and what isn't broken cannot be fixed.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Coredump posted:

drat for real? It was my first chain and sprocket install but I would like to know what I did wrong if you find out. I used a torque wrench and everything on that front sprocket. :(

I'll get as much specifics as I can when I talk to them next but he said too many links and the end of the rivit wasn't pressed properly so it came undone. Guy also said it was reasonable for it to work for a while, and even had an anecdotal story of it happening to himself years ago.

I keep trying to think of what I could have done to prevent this, but really I don't know what to look for or what's bad. I just have car amature mechanical experience and some bicycle experience from way back. "Yep, that's a chain." haha

Coredump, I'm starting to think you are my curse. Did you fix anything else I should have them look at? :P Don't kick yourself too hard. You didn't deceive me and had no reason to believe it would fail.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 23, 2013

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thank you all for your help and reassurance here. I've been real chill about it because, while it sucks, it is what it is. I feel like when I pick it up Saturday people might not see me for a while. I want to be out riding FOREVER. Monday was incredible with the changing leaves in the mountains. With the viewing angle of the helmet and focus on the road, it was like rocketing through a bright tunnel of gold, red, and green.

Unrelated, that guy on the GSXR is who I DO NOT want to be and one of the reasons I worry about lane splitting. Granted, I'm polite and wary of areas police set up, but still. He did go the extra mile to enrage and piss off all police in that area. gently caress that guy.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
"Coydog, we checked your clutch cable but you don't have one. For some reason there is only peanut butter in it's place." CURSE YOU, P.O.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I know you are all sick of hearing about my sv with the chain and phantom wobble. That said, mystery solved. The shop contacted me and let me know the bearings were shot in the rear and they had completely eaten the spacers. They couldn't figure out how the wheel hadn't locked yet and sent me into a firy fate other than that the wheel was really tightened on and everything kind of held together. So I'm very fortunate that the chain snapped and put it in the shop when it did. I was a moron for not taking your advice and putting it in the shop for inspection right away.

I was already beside myself in anticipation of getting the bike back this weekend and it kills me to wait until next week. At least it won't cost me that much more and the bike will be safe now.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Engine sound answers.

Thank you for weighing in on this. I've been puzzling over this hard for the past few months and cannot figure it out. The SV with stock muffler sounds like rear end anywhere but lugging and 9-11k rpm. It's so frustrating because almost every other sportbike sounds great. Nice high pitch whine from the engine at high rpm and airy rushing at low rpm. The ones that sound good are the ninjas, too, which apparently also have a vtwin? I secretly think its the parallel twin ones I hear that sound so good, but it could be exhaust, too, given what you said.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Snowdens Secret posted:

Ninja 650s are parallel twins. Kawi doesn't make a V-twin non-cruiser.

Serves me right for believing cycle gear employees for a second.

Slavvy that does me good to hear. I thought my engine was hopeless, but I'm currently looking into a yosh, which I like more than all the other aftermarket ones I've heard by a large margin. I'll look into the scorpion too.

And yes, I4 are completely magical sounding hands down all day every day. Not ready for one of those yet. :)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I admit I don't understand that situation. If someone you love would force you to sell something you love, why not just cut it off? I realize it's a very non bike discussion, and I've definitely kept at it when I should have left prior relationships, but why play games? It's not even that the wife wants them to sell because danger or whatever, it's that they are buying a paltry amount of time. It's going to come to a head pretty soon. I don't expect anyone is going to say "well he just could never sell that bike until he wanted to buy another bike so I guess I'll just let him keep it" or "Yes my wife and I have been married 50 years and she still thinks I can't sell the bike."

In bike news, I drove 4.5 hours round trip tonight to get a reasonably smokin deal on a NIB yoshimura rs3 (150). Have to wait til Saturday since the install is more involved than I expected, but it looks good so far. The guy who sold it to me was pretty cool to chat with. I'm excited to hear what it sounds like.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

A gas cylinder breaking and flying up your rear end? Jesus christ, that's the thing of nightmares.

Don't kink shame please.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
SV1000N

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm sorry to hear that. That must feel really bizarre and sad. It's always a very very unpleasant thing to have to deal with that sort of information. I'm with slavvy, though. Take a lot of comfort in your safe decision making.

edit: Last weekend I was in the mountains joyriding, and saw three bikers. Well, I heard them way before I saw them. They were doing REALLY HOT runs over and over in a stretch of mountains. Full face helmets but sneakers and maybe no gloves. They obviously were skilled and confident, and I don't like to pass blame ignorantly, but they were taking it really fast. Like I could see a bend a few miles down the mountain, and they were getting there twice as fast as other bikers that were going "fast". They were fine, but there was debris on the roads and who knows what else. This is how these things happen.

For me, though, Its always so very weird to hear about motorcycle deaths. I am fully aware of the danger, but that is such a final price to pay on what is to me a pretty "ordinary" thing by now. It would be as if someone said "oh yeah another person died in the shower today".

Coydog fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 17, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You think they deliberately ignored your sizing specifications on a costly custom made suit and you rate it A+?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That definitely sounds like a terrible job I'd pay someone else to do, but I'm lazier than some shade tree mechanics.

Being able to want to and easily stop to check on stranded motorists is one of my favorite things about having a bike. It's so easy to stop, hop off, then get back to highway speed. I actually got huge hugs tonight, and I wasn't even able to help them much. Apparently they had been by the side of a busy road in the dark for over an hour and nobody had stopped to check on them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow lucky break. I'm still at the point where I sweat it out when the light is on, only to find I had at least half a gallon left when i get to the pump. Nothing worse than seeing the light on and think "wait...how long has that been lit?"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Look at you guys with your spiffy "reserve" tanks and fuel switches. All I get is a light and a prayer that I've been riding like 40+ mpg and not 30+ mpg. Kinda nice not to have to fiddle with a switch every time I get on the bike, though.

Razzled, we should go for a ride sometime. Assuming you won't ninja frontflip onto me when I least expect it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Highways are definitely easier than back roads, but don't ever push yourself further than you personally feel like going. Take your time, and you'll have plenty of riding years ahead. And ignore that little voice in your head urging you to do hoony things.

For gas, I've even been dong it the same way in my car. Clear the trip each fill up, and trust that number more than my gauge.

And get the super Duke. How could you not.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
There are backroads, and then there are backroads. Backroads where razzled and I are are loaded with lights, poor road conditions, cars pulling out, zombie cars, stop signs, businesses and distractions, and oncoming traffic that is seemingly approaching at warp speed. Now It's no big deal, but to a new rider it's very daunting. Lots of stops and starts and needing to shift and signal and shouldercheck and look far enough and people making abrupt stops in front of you because they need to turn RIGHT NOW.

The highway is wide open spaces, less speed differential to those around you, and nothing much happens. You are probably the most agile and quick person around you, so if you stay alert its not so bad. The wind buffeting is disconcerting at first but not a big deal.

The night I bought my bike, I took only backroads because I was warned that the highway would seem too fast an the wind buffeting would freak me out. For some this may be the case but my ride home was harrowing and I let the bike fall over twice before it was done. I got on the highway a day or so after, and it was totally no big deal. When I got back off, it was far more complicated. Nothing like that first ride right out of MSF, but still something to get the hang of.

That being said, I did and do need more parking lot time with emergency stops and tight figure 8s so Razzled is making the right and mature choice sticking to that.

And seriously razzled ignore that voice that tells you it's ok to push the limits and hoon. Even three or four months down ignore it. You can get really hurt when it goes wrong. Take it slow.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Razzled posted:

Yeah no worries I was mostly kidding, I'm fully committed to just taking it slow and enjoying the ride and developing my skills.

btw where are you at? I'm up in the Johns Creek area-- the Honda MSF course was :krad:

Rock on! Don't think I'm being harsh or anything. I know you are doing it proper and stuff, and how hoony I'd be on the SM. So envious of your bike. I'm in roswell-ish, so not far from you at all. Wasn't that Honda MSF totally great?! Well maintained sumos to train on, non gross helmets, and an incredible staff. I found it by accident because it was close, and I'm so glad I did. What a great experience. Everyone I've spoken to since has reiterated that it's the best around and I recommend them to any prospective rider I meet in our region.

I'm sure you found em already, but the roswell cycle gear has a really great staff. There is also a really nice and knowledgeable private bike mechanic in Alpharetta I can pass you the number for down the line. Mounted my tires cheap and stored my bike really nicely while it was in his care. If I ever have a job with the bike way above my effort level, I plan to call him first.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Angryboot posted:

Aprilia dealers generally allow for test rides.

Because they know. They *know*.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Agreed, I'm very happy with the feel and presentation of my cheap ebay levers. That said, I picked chrome so its not fading, and they were cheap. I do feel bad about buying knockoffs, though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Second on engine braking. When I went for mountain runs with my car buddies, I kept spooking them going into corners because they were looking for my brake lights, which I didn't need (I wasn't pushing hard). I was just downshifting going into corners, and that was enough.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The helmet excuses are always so far fetched that I think it's a joke every time I hear them. When it dawns on me that they are SERIOUS, like they have wisdom against the madness, I don't even know what to think.

What do they think happens to the head if it is introduced to those kinds of forces without a helmet? If the helmet catching on something is what bothers them, what do they think stops a helmetless head from "catching" on that same thing?

I'd be ok with them doing whatever they wanted, but they are just so drat smug about it. That and ruining it for the rest of us via insurance, perception, etc.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's so funny to see the exact same thing I ran across. SVrider is not a fun place to be, and no I just cannot do reddit for anything. Not even a snob about it, it's just bad. I have seen a lot more FB than I normally do, though....

I'm coming up on 30k in the SV, and dreading that I have some major overhaul waiting for me. Searches online and in manuals show me I don't have to do anything, and the bike is running great, so I'll just keep riding.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I got let go from some pretty egregious speeding right in front of a patrol car. No idea where he came from because I look before I leap, always. As soon as I saw the lights I motioned that I saw him and was pulling over as soon as I could, and did. Then I was just really polite, asked permission to remove my helmet and dismount, agreed with him that what I was doing was not safe, etc. Got a concerned warning to not do that and be safer because he really didn't want to make a call on my dead body. Then he just let me go.

I don't plan on riding like that through there any more, so it worked, but I was shocked. I've never caught a break for ANYTHING, no matter how small, in this state. Now that I'm on a bike, I expected even less.

Nice guy. I hope it actually did help that I stopped and was polite.

VVVVVVVVV Not stopping all the way, but coming to a 1mph or less roll, looking, then going on your way. You know, what you do almost every stop sign.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 27, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ain't nobody got time to take their feet off the pegs.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That sucks, blackmk4. I know that feeling well, and concur with others that hooning is pretty good medicine. I mean, be safe and don't take risks, but it does help. Just last week, riding home I decided to ride in much lower gears and aggressively scream through the route. I wasn't going so fast, but it felt and sounded like motogp. Really washed the bad vibes away like nothing else.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Finally, turning the tables on car thieves who just toss our bikes in their cars and go.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Still waiting to become a hipster piece of poo poo and pick up my SR400. No dealers within a 50 mile radius of me have them. They are apparently quite popular (among the piece of poo poo hipster crowd). Just give me my bike already!

I don't even like that sort of bike and I think they look really spiffy. If I had to have something like that, I'd want it to be a brand new, un-worn, version. Good luck on your hunt. Bet that is going to be really fun.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's amazing. I would not have called that. Now go buy that shiny nu-skool bike!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hahaha After getting a bad result from my insurance company about covering my gear (they wouldn't) , I ignored them for a few weeks while I thought and researched. I just got a call that they will cover my shoes and maybe pants, along with the helmet (the only things I have receipts for. Not much more, but it will work). Those shoes were 2-3 hundred. They alluded they might cover whatever I could get them receipts for tomorrow, in frustration at wanting the matter settled.

If they cover those two things, and my jacket, I'll be done and done.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

BlackMK4 posted:

Try on a size larger of what you're interested in and it'll pretty much feel like the smaller size broken in that you order online.

I might be taking your meaning out of context, but this might answer some confusion I've had. The AGV helmet's I've had have broken in to feel "loose". IE, you can shake your head and have it shift back and forth. CLEARLY, they have worked find for me when they actually needed to do their job, but I've always wondered if I did something wrong in size/type choice. I dread hunting down another helmet because most don't fit my head and those that really do are like $600 shoei.

Related, though I guess this belongs in another thread, can I get by with a normal helmet for light offroad/trail (newbie stuff), or should I be hunting down a dedicated high airflow dirtbike helmet? Most of my riding will be around town and it'd probably not be suitable for that. (I know I know "just get both").

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

astrollinthepork posted:

A near little climate control unit you put on your tail:
http://www.bikeairusa.com/how-entrosys-bikeair-works.html

Seems pretty nifty, but somewhat impractical. Decent price if it works really well.

"Huh, that looks really dumb. What kind of ninny can't handle summer wea-*sees heat setting on remote* OKAY how much are they and when can I get one*sees FIFTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS* nah I'm good."

Truly, that WOULD be perfect to strap to your kitted out bmw, but 1500 buys a lot of warm or cool gear, that (gear won't look like you are riding on life support).

edit: I live in a very hot and humid/cold climate, but it's nothing like what people up north or in arizona get. For them, this would be great, and I'd probably consider it too.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
One of the standouts from Jurassic World was the scrambler modded bonnie. I really wan't to toss dirt tires on a multitude of naked bikes now, even though I know it's bad and terrible.

At least the hipster scrambler trend is much more palatable than the cafe racer trend.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Took me forever to realize what you meant by "rearstand". You mean that jack thing you hook into the grooved part on the rear axle? I never had trouble with that, and am glad you figured it out. Will make your life easier.

With the sidestand down, just hook in one side and kind of line up the other with it on an angle, grab the rear grab bar (or something like it), and foist the bike over while guiding the hooks into the spots. Once its all in place, use your foot to raise the rear of the bike.

But you already know all that now, so whatever.

It really sucks not having a bike you can jack up from the center, though. I always wanted one with one of those lifts so both wheels were off the ground. Seemed so much nicer.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Radbot- I understand you aren't joking, but this is all very silly. Check the bike out. Old/bad tires need to be replaced, if the bike rides funny get it fixed, make sure the chain and sprockets are good and well maintained. Believe me, I know what it's like to go down at high speed for something that is out of your control, but obsessing over the "newness" of a bike isn't very rational.

Besides, your only sample section was an 80s bike. That's like being afraid of cheesecake because you got sick from eating that cream cheese you pulled out of a dumpster that one summer. What makes you think that a factory produced new bike is going to be perfect in every way, and that it won't require you to maintain it or give it a good check over before rides?

Your girlfriend/you are gunshy and it's making you both irrational. I understand where that's coming from, but you are barking up the wrong tree.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

then swear off anything but buells forever.

This truly is luck lower than the abyss.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Try being without a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ripoff posted:

Any luck on getting a check from the insurance company? You going for another dual sport or are you going to go for a Buell Blast to keep the thieves away?

You joke, but I was contemplating this very thing tonight. No luck yet, and I don't hope for much. Might be another month or two before I'm back at "starter bike" bike fund.

Honestly, I don't know. My main priority for a bike was, and is, anything with two wheels that runs that I can ride while I save for something better. Slower and smaller is better, blah blah. But now I think that rules out any sort of dual sport, since a bike that's going to go missing isn't something I can ride while I save. That's pretty sad.

In interest of owning and riding as many different bikes as I can, I'd like something different next, and always wanted to give the ninja250 pregen a go. Barring a crazy deal, or something else, I'll probably go that route.

And a cover, though I doubt that will help much.

edit: I probably SHOULD get a blast. With my luck, it would never break, or crash, or get stolen, and I'd be stuck with it for years.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 26, 2015