Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Len posted:

So the same thing as ds flashcarts? There hasn't been homebrew posted in this thread in literal years. And the OP is almost devoid of anything homebrew related.

That's more because a lot of DS homebrew stopped being useful considering the limited power of the thing and limited resolution. There will be worthwhile homebrew and ports on the 3DS for a while once development is able to really ramp up, especially with the 3D screen stuff and the fact the system isn't restricted to assy old wifi standards.

Like, no one since 2011 or so has needed a browser running in 8 MB of ram (with expansion pack) and two 256x192 screens for browsing the internet, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Saoshyant posted:

Eh, this time one can't even use the "it's more convenient to carry all my games in one card" excuse as the DS era, since you can buy the drat games digitally, retail, eShop-exclusive, or virtual console.

Yeah and then lose them all if your system breaks! It's a great system.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah and then lose them all if your system breaks! It's a great system.

Yeah, do tell me about all these people that had this happen to them in the nearly four years the system has been out globally. Oh right, if you try to track down this information you find the opposite: Nintendo always gives back what you lose if your system breaks or is stolen.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 15, 2014

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
While you're right about that, it's still nice to not have to call in and all that jazz, or deal with GS being a bitch about not letting you transfer systems.

It has its benefits but yeah it's mostly for :pirate:

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
How many games can a 3ds store anyway? I don't have one yet.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

KingSlime posted:

While you're right about that, it's still nice to not have to call in and all that jazz, or deal with GS being a bitch about not letting you transfer systems.

It has its benefits but yeah it's mostly for :pirate:

Oh no GameStop doesn't want you standing around in the store wasting time? I don't blame them.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Len posted:

Oh no GameStop doesn't want you standing around in the store wasting time? I don't blame them.

Yeah how dare people get what they pay for amirite.

Where did all these self righteous PIRACY IZ BAD trolls come from anyway? You guys make it sound like DS flash carts were any different.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

FlyingCheese posted:

How many games can a 3ds store anyway? I don't have one yet.

As many as fit on the removable SD card. Original 3DS came with a 2GB card and XL came with a 4GB card. I have a 32GB card in mine now. I believe it supports up to 128GB cards but only if you format them in FAT32 instead of exFAT. Unfortunately I never ran into space problems before upgrading my card "just because" so I cannot give an estimated number of games that could theoretically fit on each size.

Also save files of digital games can be saved to SD card before/while deleting the game itself so deleting games is an option although re-downloading them is painfully slow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah how dare people get what they pay for amirite.

Where did all these self righteous PIRACY IZ BAD trolls come from anyway? You guys make it sound like DS flash carts were any different.

Just not seeing why you can't transfer data at home. And if you're trading an old towards a new one then you've already signed it over before they give you the new making it not yours anymore.

As for what you're paying for it's a new ds. You already paid for the games knowing that it's tied to the system not an account. You can't blame them for not wanting to just push you out the door.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Just not seeing why you can't transfer data at home. And if you're trading an old towards a new one then you've already signed it over before they give you the new making it not yours anymore.

The only time I could see this being an issue is when a new design comes out and you want to upgrade for a reduced price that GS is offering and in that case what they did with the XL was you purchased the new system full price, system transferred it at home, brought the trade in one and they gave you the difference back.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Flagrama posted:

As many as fit on the removable SD card. Original 3DS came with a 2GB card and XL came with a 4GB card. I have a 32GB card in mine now. I believe it supports up to 128GB cards but only if you format them in FAT32 instead of exFAT. Unfortunately I never ran into space problems before upgrading my card "just because" so I cannot give an estimated number of games that could theoretically fit on each size.

Also save files of digital games can be saved to SD card before/while deleting the game itself so deleting games is an option although re-downloading them is painfully slow.

Oh nice, I figured the big N wouldn't allow games to be written to the SD card for piracy reasons, only to be used for music or something. That is very good to hear.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FlyingCheese posted:

Oh nice, I figured the big N wouldn't allow games to be written to the SD card for piracy reasons, only to be used for music or something. That is very good to hear.

Well, only certain games are available for sale digitally still, but that's as much up to publishers being weird as Nintendo.

Normal 3DS cartridges hold between 1 GB and 3 GB of data, the 3DS cartridge format is capable of holding up to 8 GB of data without revisions to the hardware being needed. So, a 32 GB card, which you can get these days quite cheap, can easily hold 16 or so normal games as well as a bunch of smaller download only titles.

Sidebar here but: Remember the PSP using UMDs? Those only held 1.8 GB and required that whole clunky motor setup. :v:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Smealum is putting out his homebrew exploit next week. It doesn't allow for pirating 3DS games, but you'll be able to play a minecraft clone and emulators. It requires a game and save exploit.

https://www.twitter.com/smealum/status/533522344543649793

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wasn't there talk it also allowed to get rid of that pesky region locking?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Saoshyant posted:

Oh that pesky region locking. It'll be like ps3 homebrew. "We did it to install Linux on the ps3! Honestly!" No. They did it for piracy.

The 3DS has been out since 2011 can we collectively as a forum just agree bitching about region locking here won't solve anything? We get it you guys think it sucks. Go complain to Nintendo.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Len posted:

The 3DS has been out since 2011 can we collectively as a forum just agree bitching about region locking here won't solve anything?

Getting a flash cart will. Hooray for second-hand piracy supporting because of anti-consumer practices! :toot:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah the pirate carts already allow you to evade that, since breaking the protection against pirated games also breaks region locking.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

But I don't want a pirate cart -- I want to import games and play them. I have been curious about that smealum custom firmware because I heard it would get rid of the region locking, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I was asking about that specifically since that smealum guy seems to contradict himself when he talks on Twitter about what the firmware can and can't do. Instead I got some idiot moaning I shouldn't be complaining (which I wasn't) and should talk to Nintendo(??).

I rather doubt the Gateway allows one to load a bypass program and then swap in a legit card like those old boot CDs from the Dreamcast era. If it does, though, I'm all ears.

How legit is that smealum guy, anyway? People have been hyping him up for months now and he has yet to show anything for it. I'd imagine the naysayers would be all over him, but if they aren't I assume people trust the guy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Saoshyant posted:

But I don't want a pirate cart -- I want to import games and play them. I have been curious about that smealum custom firmware because I heard it would get rid of the region locking, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I was asking about that specifically since that smealum guy seems to contradict himself when he talks on Twitter about what the firmware can and can't do.

If the homebrew firmware works on the same basis as the pirate carts(which it probably will, as it's allowing unsigned code), then yes region protection will be neutralized. That's all I'm saying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Saoshyant posted:

But I don't want a pirate cart -- I want to import games and play them. I have been curious about that smealum custom firmware because I heard it would get rid of the region locking, but that doesn't seem to be the case? I was asking about that specifically since that smealum guy seems to contradict himself when he talks on Twitter about what the firmware can and can't do. Instead I got some idiot moaning I shouldn't be complaining (which I wasn't) and should talk to Nintendo(??).

I'm just saying instead of posting about how bad the region locking is in the 3ds general thread on the Something Awful forums and here you would have more luck posting about how awful it is in a place Nintendo sees.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Len posted:

I'm just saying instead of posting about how bad the region locking is in the 3ds general thread on the Something Awful forums and here you would have more luck posting about how awful it is in a place Nintendo sees.

You're being weirdly defensive about all this and making GBS threads up the discussion over a beef from some unrelated thread. He said the region locking was "pesky" and you had a hissy fit. Chill out.

On a related note, Nintendo has said that they're "looking into" eliminating region blocking from their consoles, but as slow as Nintendo is to change I wouldn't expect that to take effect until the next round of consoles/handhelds. In the meantime, I still need a way to play Culdcept on my 3DS.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sarchasm posted:

You're being weirdly defensive about all this and making GBS threads up the discussion over a beef from some unrelated thread. He said the region locking was "pesky" and you had a hissy fit. Chill out.

On a related note, Nintendo has said that they're "looking into" eliminating region blocking from their consoles, but as slow as Nintendo is to change I wouldn't expect that to take effect until the next round of consoles/handhelds. In the meantime, I still need a way to play Culdcept on my 3DS.

That's because goons as a whole have been bitching about region locking as a whole since it was announced the 3ds had it. I don't know if it's still true but for the longest time one post a page in the 3ds thread had someone complain about region locking.

We get it. It's bad. Complaining here won't fix anything.

I just think it's semi-amusing that people don't think a 3ds flashcart will be used for anything but piracy. Well over 50% of the people it to get around region locking won't import it. They'll just pirate the game instead.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Len posted:

I just think it's semi-amusing that people don't think a 3ds flashcart will be used for anything but piracy.
True words, brother

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I agree, but homebrew is really nice too. I got more fun with homebrew on my Wii than official software (but that did have a strong community). Emulators are especially nice, but a lot of those games are getting sold again, so I guess that's piracy too.

Ardulac
May 31, 2005

"There is a difference between fear and caution."

Len posted:

That's because goons as a whole have been bitching about region locking as a whole since it was announced the 3ds had it. I don't know if it's still true but for the longest time one post a page in the 3ds thread had someone complain about region locking.

We get it. It's bad. Complaining here won't fix anything.
Some people just want to vent, and some of them are just explaining a reason they are interested in advances in bypassing Nintendo's security.

quote:

I just think it's semi-amusing that people don't think a 3ds flashcart will be used for anything but piracy. Well over 50% of the people it to get around region locking won't import it. They'll just pirate the game instead.
That's probably true, but who cares? So Nintendo loses some business due to their ridiculous stance on region locking. Frankly, I like the pressure that piracy puts on companies to make not pirating so easy and convenient that there isn't a strong motivation to find ways to pirate in the first place.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
NinjHax (the new name of SSPWN) will be coming out this evening.

You need a copy of Cubic Ninja ($40 used at Gamestop, $15 in random Walmart bargain bins, $20-$100 online) and a file that will be released soon. It will allow for playing only user mode homebrew, so no region free or 3DS Roms.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Any thoughts on starting a Cubic Ninja train to pass it around? Anyone actually have the game?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There's no Cubic Ninja "train" happening. You need the game on the system at all times to use any homebrew.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Saoshyant posted:

There's no Cubic Ninja "train" happening. You need the game on the system at all times to use any homebrew.

Oh really? I thought it was just to install the OS. Well that's less interesting right now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Cubic Ninja supports level creation. The Homebrew Channel is literally a "level" that you load in the game to then load homebrew apps.

It's pretty much useless, IMO: there's barely any homebrew (i.e. a SNES emulator that doesn't run games right), while system resources are not entirely available due to Cubic Ninja still being partly on memory, and said game had a shovelware print run which is to say there's waaaaay more demand than stock for it -- which is especially true in Europe, where 3DS games are printed in much smaller quantities than the rest of the world due to lack of demand for Nintendo games -- so few will be on the exclusive club of not doing anything with it.

Basically, this was hyped like hell for no good reason.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Yeah and screw that smealum kid for not releasing the name of the game until the god drat holiday shopping season.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dehry posted:

Cross post from 3DS thread:

http://www.gateway-3ds.com/support-for-firmware-9-0-9-2-coming/

Gateway 3DS will support 9.0-9.2 firmware soon. Do not update beyond those firmwares.

Are we past the point of needing a plain DS to work with the gateway? Or do you still need one?

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are we past the point of needing a plain DS to work with the gateway? Or do you still need one?

As far as I know you don't need a plain DS system, but you do need to use the DS cart that comes with the Gateway to enable running homebrew off the 3DS Gateway cart.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What's the big difference between the r4i and the gateway for 3ds? The $50 price disparity suggests there should be a huge difference

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Gateway 3DS is a 3ds flash cart. R4i is a DS flashcart.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh, I didn't realize that. The r4i site makes it sound like it loads 3ds roms

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

People selling weird gray-market electronics with deceptive marketing? Why I never :v:

I think someone other than Gateway actually did have a 3DS flash card out, but now that the 3DS (alone) supports downloading retail games, even (begrudgingly) from Disney, arguing the ethical side of a dual-use thing like a flash card - at least in the context of a 3DS - is really really difficult.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Not where the digital version costs more than the physical version. Like in the PAL territories.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
And not if you like buying used physical copies either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Remember the old cat and mouse game? It's back. (Don't upgrade to 9.3 if you are using or want to use Ninjhax)

Hope you updated your ORAS/SSB! (I didn't :doh:)

• Locked thread