Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

This has probably been explained elsewhere but what exactly can moonshell do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Buml0r posted:

I got my :siren: a CycloDS Evolution for her birthday, and it's excellent.

I wondered whether it had anything to do with the "Save mode" you get in the Evolution menu. I can't seem to find any information to explain what it actually means by "Normal" or "Alternative," even on the CycloDS website. Either way, it doesn't appear to affect ZXDS.

Save mode I think just puts saves either in the same spot as the game you're playing or in a folder marked SAVES for easier organization I assume.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FAG posted:

you haven't homebrewed your psp? does that mean there are decent games out for it now?

My psp and ds are getting about equal time between them at the moment, but that's because my 3 in 1 died so I got to use my psp to play mother 3.

Not homebrewing your psp is fairly common among people I know. Though I think a lot of it is all of us are lazy. I know thats my excuse. But beside emulators (that my laptop can play perfectly fine) whats the point in modding a psp?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I guess that would be something but I dunno still seems like a lotta work compared to the cyclo. Anyways sorry to sidetrack this conversation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

From my understanding it isn't a piracy check but the save file is bigger than the cyclo can handle right now. The site was up earlier today though so its probably just a bunch of traffic taking it down for a bit

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Either i'm incredibly stupid or there's something wrong with the cyclo forum register thing. I failed the captcha 6ish times and ran out of email to try because it bans the email if you fail. Anyone else have this problem?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

m2pt5 posted:

They don't accept free email service addresses (hotmail, Yahoo, GMail, etc.)

You'd think thats something that should be somewhere in bold on the registration page.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

So they disable free emails that require effort to sign up to but something that doesnt even require registration slips right by? Sounds that a great decision. Anyways signed up now thanks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kea posted:

I have just added a very possibly useless feature to my DS, offline wikipedia. Limited usefulness but it puts me one step closer to the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy I always dreamt of.

If the launcher for it isn't labeled "Don't Panic" in large friendly letters you are not even close. :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Isnt Shiren one of those peramdeath games? Cant you just go get him killed and then start over?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know whats been up with the cyclods forums lately? They've been down for a few weeks now and it's kind of scary.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The reaction to that at GBATemp is priceless. How dare Nintendo have the audacity to take away their ability to pirate games!

THOSE BASTARDS! I spent good money on the ability to steal all the games I wanted. It just isn't fair for them to take that away from me. Fail DRM is fail anyway.

(Not serious at all please don't think it is.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

adisca posted:

Well, it seems like it's time to upgrade my old slot-2 M3 Adapter, but I have no intentions of getting a DSi.

Any suggestions? The CycloDS was the new hotness, but that was over a year ago. What's the consensus on the DSTT lately? I can't believe it's only 7 rubles... that's really appealing. Compatibility and continued support for updates are probably the most important feature to me, but it sounds like it would be hard to go wrong with the DSTT given the price, yes?

Cyclo is still the new hotness and if I'm remembering right the DSTT broke 2 systems not too long ago.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FAG posted:

How sad.

Anyway, is there a mirror or something for the cyclods betas? The site seems to spend as much time down as it do up, and I really want to get the beta 5 firmware.

Sites back up right now. But heres a rapidshare.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheap Shot posted:

Where are people getting the latest beta version of the cyclods firmware? I can't seem to find it anywhere on their site. 1.56 right?

The latest is 1.56b3. You have to register on the website to make it show up. But you can't just use any email they have spammer protection and it has to be what they deem a "real" email. You should be able to download the beta here unless I broke the link.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cheap Shot posted:

I've been trying to register for the Cyclods forums, but every email I try to use says it has been banned by the administrator. I've tried two different emails, a hotmail and a gmail. What's all this then? I've never contacted or used my email in any thing to do with Cyclo. How can I be banned from something I haven't joined yet?

Edit: also their link for the latest moonshell doesn't seem to be working, and their evotools download doesn't seem to contain the cheat editor. Jeeze.

You can't use free emails. It has to be something they deem "real".

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

m2pt5 posted:

That's a pretty limiting exploit just to get rid of the warning screen.

Hey those extra like 5 seconds it takes to pass that screen is just too much.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone had any experience with the enhanced menu of the CycloDS not working in any game? It worked fine up until a couple days ago when it just stopped working for everything. I'm currently using the newest beta but had been for a while before it stopped working right. I'm currently browsing through their forums looking for the answer to my problem but figured asking here would work as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

clamiam posted:

I had this problem in the past, where the in-game menu wouldn't consistently work right; it's worked fine since a release or two ago, though. So yeah, it seems some cards might be buggy or something.

I managed to just fix it by a reformat of the sd card and reinstalled the beta firmware. I'm just going to assume it was technology being special and call it a win.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sourpalm posted:

Anyone having problems soft resetting with combination of NDS and CycloDS running FW 1.55?

I just got my first CycloDS after my R4DS didn't want to do nothing properly, but I just can't soft reset a poo poo with it. Both screens go completely white and nothing happens after so I just have to hard reset it everytime.

It's pretty annoying feat since I got so used to soft reset homebrew to another without bothering with the power button.

I had some issues with soft resetting not too long ago only it was the button combination not doing anything. I reformatted the card and it started working again. Is this for every game or just certain ones? I've noticed some games get pissy with the menu at least for me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

absolutely anything posted:

I seriously can't even imagine playing Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan without the rumble. Other than that it's completely unimportant.

Rumble works on those!? I'm going to have to find my rumble pack now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New cyclo firmware out. It apparently has a new mode thats supposed to get past things like Spirit Tracks so it's finally possible to make your backups work without having to jump through any hoops.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 17, 2009

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ignore this. I'm stupid.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 17, 2009

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

helopticor posted:

Call me stupid but I thought they were just complimenting the Cyclo team on working on a method that wouldn't depend on the individual game.

poo poo that would make sense. Sorry I thought I was getting yelled at by the internet :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Aggro Craig posted:

there's an error when trying to create a new account

What email type are you using because they don't accept free emails for some reason I'm not entirely sure of.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

m2pt5 posted:

Nah, they just let the usual crackers figure that out then copy their fixes. See: Spirit Tracks.

But Spirit Tracks was fixed by the Cyclo fix all of Stealth Mode wasn't it?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I bought the Lucasarts Adventure Pack off Steam for their holiday deal and I was wondering if any of those games (Loom, The Dig, Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis and Last Crusade) worked in the ScummVM DS and if there was a way to use the Steam files to make that work

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

m2pt5 posted:

It looks like they (or at least LOOM, the only one I have) have the necessary files. You'll want to check the ScummVM homepage to see exactly which files you need for which games, but I can give you a solid "probably".

Edit: LOOM's file structure is steam/steampps/common/loom/LOOM. You need the whole second LOOM folder. Here's a list of all the games that ScummVM supports (obviously the DS version won't support them all) and the files it needs.

Probably a bad thread to ask in but is LOOM good? I only bought the pack for Atlantis since the entire pack cost the same as that one game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I know SNES emulation isn't the best but how does Super Metroid fare?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

clamiam posted:

Google is your friend :eng101:

I will not lie I did not think to google that at all. But hands on experience with it would also be appreciated. Can anyone vouch it has flaws but is playable?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

clamiam posted:

Well, instead of waiting for the Internet to answer, you could just, you know, try it yourself. I'd imagine both approaches take a similar amount of time.

Shush you with your facts and logic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Scaevolus posted:

Why not just find a cheap used Metroid: Zero Mission cart?

And I've already beaten it this week :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Keito posted:

The same question was asked on the previous page, it's pretty playable. BUT. At least one of the bosses is invicible, you have to swap layers (that's done on your touch screen) during that fight unless you want to battle it blindly. I stopped playing on my DS shortly after that, so I can't comment on the whole game, but if it's your first time you might want to try it on another platform.

I'll stick with the SNES version then since I still haven't actually finished it ever for some reason. Thanks for the input and I'm sorry for my lazy bastardness at not looking this up properly before asking.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

They also recently made the BETA section available to people who aren't registered users.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is http://cheats.gbatemp.net still the place to get new cheat files? It hasn't been updated in a few months which is why I ask.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nope, it got moved to their file repository at FileTrip.

That page isn't very updated either. I did go into "temp" and found a recent cyclo file though.

Len fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 15, 2010

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

New Cyclo beta firmware is located here.

quote:

Pop-up menu added to game list for performing various operations on the currently selected item
Cheats codes are now managed on a per game basis through the pop-up menu
A bookmark system has been added. Any ROM (game/homebrew) or folder can be bookmarked, and bookmarks can be displayed in one of two possible modes. The first mode displays each bookmark as a square icon on the main menu, while the second mode displays the bookmarks in a list and is accessed through the moonshell icon. The modes can be toggled via the settings menu
Support for multiple save slots has been added, with the save slot selected through the pop-up menu
RTS file management has been moved to the pop-up menu
Basic file operations (copy/move/delete) have been added and are accessed through the pop-up menu. File operations can be globally disabled through a setting in the configuration XML file
The scrollbar now works correctly
Several settings which were previously only accessible from the configuration XML file can now be manipulated through the settings menu
Different "wallpapers" for the bottom screen can now be specified for the main menu, the game list and the cheat list
Built-in icons for folders, NDS games and GBA games can now be replaced with custom icons
Tweaks to touch screen operation
Game compatibility fixes (4341, 4716, 4723, 4726)
Probably several other changes we've forgotten about

Len fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 18, 2010

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

m2pt5 posted:

First, you should change that code block to a quote block so it's not breaking the gently caress out of the tables.

That new bookmark feature is awesome. Adding icons to the main screen is amazingly convenient. Also, I quite like that you have to manually activate/deactivate cheats and it no longer asks you every loving time you open a game. Having a built-in option to change the enhanced menu hotkey is nice too, so you don't have to set it manually in the ini.

Sorry about that. Tables unbroken.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My friend said some guy he works with was getting cyclos for $5 off some website so maybe they did leave since their card didn't work with the DSi and the 3DS on the horizon. It wouldn't be completely absurd to assume that at least. Just means I may have to pick up the next thing unless someone picks up firmware development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone happen to have the cyclods beta firmware? My card cocked up and I can't find it since their forums have apparently exceeded their bandwith.

• Locked thread