Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fazana posted:

I got my son a DSTWO to use on his 3DS and when it works it's great.

However, it sometimes takes him 10+ attempts to restart it, reseat it etc before it will boot up again without the "An error has occured" screen and a power off needed. We've tried two different MicroSD cards, usb readers and standing on one leg etc but atm we can't identify what the issue might be. Once it works it can be fine for a couple of hours of playing that title, close out that game to start another without touching a thing and bam, another five minutes of Error/Power Off fun. He's just told me while I'm typing this that it works every time on my really old DS so that suggests we are deffo doing something wrong. We've got the latest FW/OS etc from the site and upgraded it on my old DS.

Has anyone any ideas please? I googled it but got so many different ideas on what it might be that I ended up chasing my own arse for the most part.

If it is the original 3DS model he has, I remember it being a pain to make sure the DSTWO was actually far enough in the system for the card to work right when I first got it. You're definitely pushing it in until it clicks right?

Also, is it the 3DS error screen (black w/white text) or the DSTWO error screen (blue w/white text)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Fazana posted:

Sorry for the late reply.

It will be the 3DS error screen then, black with white text. It's fully updated to the latest os/fw etc as we did all that on the old DS to be safe.

Unfortunately now it simply doesn't work at all in the 3DS. We had it sort of eventually working on day 1 after a few retries each time but after a few days that's gone away completely. Works 100% in the old DS but no matter how we try and jiggle it, wiggle it, bend it stretch it etc etc the 3DS won't boot it at all. It shows the icon 95% of the time but then comes up with the error - power off screen.

A friend who bought a 3DS XL and a cart this week is coming round today for us to try his in ours.

The only time I can remember getting a 3DS error screen was with an out of date firmware. Since you have that all up to date I don't really know what could be the problem. Is the 3DS up to date as well?

When your friend brings over his 3DS also make sure to try switching SD cards. Just because both the ones you tried don't work doesn't mean that you can rule that out as a problem until you try one that definitely works.

Also, maybe you can try re-installing the firmware again. Make sure you use a formatted SD card and do disk error checking on it, and only put the bare essentials of the DSTWO on it.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Green Puddin posted:

So, apparently there's a new update with Luigi's Mansion and Pokemon out. Anyone happen to know if this affects any carts (specifically DSTWO)?

Since there is a new update on the DSTWO forums, the new update definitely blocks the old firmware. Here: http://forum.supercard.sc/thread-9465-1-1.html

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Is the new version "V7.2.0-17"? If so it looks like posters on the supercard forums are saying it is still working fine.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
3DS Homebrew is still in its infancy so it is pretty much just for piracy.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

So the same thing as ds flashcarts? There hasn't been homebrew posted in this thread in literal years. And the OP is almost devoid of anything homebrew related.

Yup, pretty much.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

FlyingCheese posted:

How many games can a 3ds store anyway? I don't have one yet.

As many as fit on the removable SD card. Original 3DS came with a 2GB card and XL came with a 4GB card. I have a 32GB card in mine now. I believe it supports up to 128GB cards but only if you format them in FAT32 instead of exFAT. Unfortunately I never ran into space problems before upgrading my card "just because" so I cannot give an estimated number of games that could theoretically fit on each size.

Also save files of digital games can be saved to SD card before/while deleting the game itself so deleting games is an option although re-downloading them is painfully slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

Just not seeing why you can't transfer data at home. And if you're trading an old towards a new one then you've already signed it over before they give you the new making it not yours anymore.

The only time I could see this being an issue is when a new design comes out and you want to upgrade for a reduced price that GS is offering and in that case what they did with the XL was you purchased the new system full price, system transferred it at home, brought the trade in one and they gave you the difference back.

• Locked thread