Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wiki -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropa_De_Elite

Trailer -

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RoxrdMukQu0

Rotten Tomatoes -

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tropa_de_elite/

quote:

Set in 1997, Elite Squad follows the lives of a BOPE captain, Nascimento, and two potential BOPE officers and childhood friends, Neto Gouveia and André Matias, and their experiences revolving around everyday life Rio de Janeiro’s favelas. Due to high levels of corruption, drug trafficking militias have virtual control within the favelas while the police run their criminal enterprises outside. At the same time, Captain Nascimento must balance his attempts to find a replacement and the fact that his wife is about to give birth. And while Gouveia is quick on the trigger to maintain order, Matias refuses to compromise his ideals, leading him to make some tough choices.

So presumably being made on the success of City of God (Which I'm sure we all know). Tropa de Elite is a fairly decent movie chock full of cliches and convenience to tell the story. While I'm sure everyone who responds to this post, myself included, are hardly one to talk about Brazilian politics and or lifestyle through Brazil, particularly in the favelas. I heard about this film from a couple Brazilian dudes. Apparently it's quite popular or just simply well known over there. It was also brought up in that train wreck of a thread in GBS about the dude who toured the favelas. Simply put, it's an entertaining movie. But simply catered just for that. Entertainment.

I saw a poorly subtitled version of it. So it was a bit hard to follow. The film definitely brings awareness to important topics in Brazil and all throughout the world. Regarding corruption in law enforcement and the state of life of certain people. It has enough action to keep those who want juts that interested. It was a movie that definitely took itself serious. Yet was so lame in certain aspects. Some guy risks his life and his partners life to give some kid glasses. So some cop drives up into the slums to drop off a pair of glasses to some kid? Not to mention the fact that he's failing in school because he has poor eye sight in one eye

also, not to mention the fact that Two cops go up to the slums, just below a bunch of "gangsters" hanging out in a house, to snipe some dude for whatever reason it was.

and Protagonist gets his revenge in the end of the film. "I need to pass on the sword of might to someone I feel should carry the honor! Because I have a kid and can't die!

Honestly, I can go on and on. If you want an entertaining movie that probably doesn't relate much to what it's trying to depict. Check it out. Supposedly it was written with the help of two ex-BOPE captains. Being that the dude probably asked them some questions and fabricated a script and story off of that with his own twists.

Pros - Entertaining. Decent action Slight glimpse into a life we'll never know. Whether true or false.
Cons - Too "hollywood." Even though it's not a hollywood movie.

However, I don't doubt that these guys are all sorts of bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU