Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

What sidebar was it talking about? I had to get the Next version by manually finding http://www.opera.com/browser/next (even though it still says 12.12). About time, glad to see it. Don't forget to fix your search engines after upgrading.

Also, anyone having weird problems with the forums box pop-up at the bottom of the page that lists the forum hierarchy (I think they call it breadcrumbs)? If I'm in a thread in Private Game Servers and I middle-click or new tab any other higher forum it'll just go to the Private Games Servers subforum. Regular clicking seems to work fine, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, I see what happened. I had a panel covering it, and the page didn't reformat for whatever reason (even if I tried scrolling right). That's kinda facepalmy on Opera's side.

No one else having that other problem, the breadcrumbs one? So far I can only trigger it in PGS.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

spoon0042 posted:

Yeah, I'm getting the thing with the breadcrumbs too, anything other than just left clicking doesn't work. I just assumed it was the magic javascript poo poo messing up.
Okay, I posted about it in the applicable forums thread in QCS.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, I don't know, I mean that might make sense (and, heck, Opera improving Webkit might be cool), but... I'll be honest, I'll miss the nobody-should-take-seriously browser war stuff :lol: Not too long ago I remember Presto was actually really impressive in some of those benchmarks, along with all the other "firsts" Opera did or tried to do over the years. I was kinda sad when Nintendo moved away from Opera, but the DS and Wii ones were pretty bad, anyway. Maybe they'll try and change to make their mobile browser more competitive, and continue to developer their desktop browser in their own rendering engine like they've been doing. It has been really slow lately, even with the long winter breaks they usually take.

That said, they just released (already?) the RC of 12.13 (aka 1725):
Normal release:
Windows
Mac OS X
Linux/FreeBSD

Next release:
Windows 32-bit
Windows 64-bit
Linux/FreeBSD
Mac OS X

Oh yeah, the "Opera Ice" video is still on YouTube, so if they're pulling it they're not doing that good of a job. The page it was hosted on (where it comes from) also has some interested information.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 25, 2013

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Apologies for the double-post (of sorts), Opera 12.13, different from the last RC (1733 vs 1734), has been released (no Next version, at least yet). Now, that said, Opera pretty much ignored a bug that causes crashes due to the updater checking :bang:, and I've crashed already a couple times out of nowhere on the last RC (once doing nothing on Gmail, the other when scrolling through my feeds), so you might want to wait until 12.14 or whatever.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yes - might be a windows maximized-only feature? Chrome actually does the same thing by default.

I guess our usage patterns and priorities differ distinctly then, because i vastly prefer a UI setup that takes up less than half the space of your example while also giving me direct access to all tab(stack)s and extensions.

I'm pretty sure even Firefox does this now (just press the Alt key to pop the toolbar menu up). I'm not sure if they were the "first" or not, but Opera did the single Opera button thing in... 10.50 apparently.

That looks vaguely familiar to me... is that Linux? Gnome 2/Mate or something?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Huh. That certainly puts a new light or two on the recent hiccups.

If only we'd all have used Opera Unite Fridge and "revolutionized the internet" as promised. :negative:

Woah woah woah, you guys aren't using Fridge? What's wrong with you!? Let me post my Fridge ID (or whatever it used, because seriously who the gently caress used Fridge Opera Unite Fridge).

Riso posted:

Doesn't sound so bad after all.

Here's the current/final top upvoted comment. Makes me feel a little sick, honestly, so I'm posting it for prosperity's sake, whether Opera turns around or not:

quote:

It's worse than the article describes. Those laid off are terrified to say anything publicly. From what I can gather, the total may be double the quoted number. In addition, morale is at rock bottom, with a number of people leaving on their own. Opera as we knew it is gone.
I worked for Opera for seven years, three of them managing the core testing team. I left a year ago. It breaks my heart to see how the current management treats some of the best engineers I've ever met, loyal to the company for a decade, like disposable rubbish. Here's your ten-year watch, now gently caress off.

In the 2010 downsizing (described by the HR VP as "rightsizing"), they at least tried to make the decisions look good internally, blaming the economic downturn. The last two rounds they didn't even bother. No explainations, just individual talks - and a wave of fear.

The only good news is that there's plenty of fantastically skilled engineers available. I've hired one myself. If you need anyone, drop me a line, and I'd be happy to recommend someone for your open position. My loyalty is to my old team and the technology - not the current mismanagement. /c:

hifi posted:

I assume it's a reference to the V8 javascript engine.
Here's the difference between Chromium and Google Chrome. It will use Google's V8, but the insistence on saying Chromium and V8 makes it seem (to me, anyway) to incorporate a lot more than just replacing Opera with a different rendering engine (WebKit). But I could be offbase; we'll have to wait and see what will make Opera Opera besides just the UI (they already mentioned trying to write a tool to quickly port extensions). Probably the "biggest" browser I can think of that uses Chromium is SRWare Iron, though some of these niche proprietary ones might be bigger.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 12.15 released (very minor differences from RC). Please also see the Google forking WebKit: say hello to Blink thread, as Opera is part of it.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Looks like the regular schedule is pretty slow as usual! :)

In the spirit of the thread title, i'm a big fan of "enable plugin on demand" to stop dozens of YT tabs pre-loading and taking up memory at the same time, but i noticed it also disabled other flash plugins like the twitch.tv chat which didn't display a "click to activate" placeholder.

Turns out it's actually a setting you can set per site! :toot:

Yeah, super slow lately. I've been meaning to ask here how the newish Opera mobile beta is. They recently allowed Google Play on the Nook HD so I got to try out an older version of the regular edition, and although I use it I'm a tiny bit unimpressed with it (just so used to being able to customize everything to a tee I guess).

Oh, for "Enable On Demand Plugin Placeholder" thing, you can also click on the plugin icon in the Address Bar to load all the plugins on a page with a single click (including ones that are basically hidden). Doesn't work correctly 100% of the time, but good enough I don't usually bother with custom rules.

Riso posted:

Just in case anyone is wondering, the hardware acceleration is still more trouble than it is worth.
I'm not surprised. I got tired of bitching about it in comment sections and turned it off awhile ago. Whenever I'd minimize Opera and tried to bring it up it would just be a black/blank screen until it crashed shortly thereafter. Speaking of tired of bitching, I still get Webfont problems.

Good to see some activity in this thread, though. It will probably need a new OP whenever they start migration over to the new thing.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Weird that I just mentioned it, but Opera Mobile (now just called Opera) for Android is out of beta and released.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, no Mail? As in no RSS Feeds? That's odd, but I wasn't planning on switching over wholesale right away anyway. It's weird to me because I always thought they should expand Mail (well, the Feed portion of it anyway), and I've always preferred it to using Google Reader or any of the other browsers' systems. There's not even a trash system for Feeds!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

flappin fish posted:

Bad things (that haven't been mentioned yet)
The "Discovery" thing is aggressively bad, too, a built-in web portal. Probably just a revenue thing, or as a hold over from the mobile browser, as you can not remove it (like Speed Dial). Because this is the new mobile browser, almost to a tee, right down to absolutely no advanced settings. It's like the Win 8 of new browsers or something only worse because you can't add your start menu back or whatever. That said, beta :words: and if I was switching from Opera I'd probably move to Chrome anyway (after 12 literally implodes on me). I'm not throwing in the towel on Opera quite yet, just feeling rather pessimistic right now.

Riso posted:

There's already Opera 15 versions of Adblock and Ghostery.
Isn't working for me with my portable copy, unfortunately. Tells me it can't create a folder in appdata. Honestly though I was surprised I had the option to install it that way in the first place.

Wheany posted:

That version number just annoys me so much.
Me too, but I feel it is such a lost fight, and I felt Opera was caving on that in the recent past anyway.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

RSS client
For me it is the opposite, if it isn't integrated than it is just another open program I'll end up ignoring (especially if it is as barebones as their old solution was/is). And regardless of that I'd likely have to open up expanded links in Opera anyway.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Cuntpunch posted:

I think part of my relief is just that it's still around and maybe going to be continued to be kept up to date(as little as that really means). I totally see your point and suspect that if they bring most of the other stuff I'm missing from 12 into 15, then I won't be entirely devastated if they keep Mail as a separate thing.

Oh yeah, if it's a choice of just dropping their Mail client I'm glad they're continuing it... well, in theory at least, if I do have to change because I won't get what I want regardless I might as well start from scratch and really look into it. I didn't want to set up an account through it, but somebody on a comment mentioned it doesn't have RSS at all (at the moment?).

Some comment by the M2 project manager (borg) in the gigantic thread on the Opera snapshot blog mentioned that when they started M2 a decade ago they debated moving it to a separate project, and also that because M2 uses Presto there's no real way of incorporating the mail engine without a rewrite/ton of development (which they can't really do as they're dealing with all their other problems). So... if anyone else uses it I wouldn't hold your breathe for it.

Honestly, it isn't their biggest problem, it just is for me the one that stops me from even radically changing my usage to adopt Opera 15 in the near future (as it seems it will be).

Now, time for optimism! Um... at least those Facebook rumors weren't true? :shobon:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

AbstractNapper posted:

Also in his twitter he states that Speed Dial is now replacing bookmarks ("The new Speed Dial with folder replaces bookmarks.") and he's not talking about the mobile version (which could make some sense, but not much).
Jeez, just wow. This one for me isn't a make-or-break type of deal, but...

I always thought Speed Dial was very "smart phone" and never adopted it (plus I like clean, fast and low resources interfaces, maybe to a fault). I know some people love it, absolutely love it, and I mean them no ill will or anything honestly, but it is just baffling to me I won't even have the option of simple, quick lists of urls...

I guess somebody'll make a bookmark extension :confused:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Meta Ridley posted:

This might be the best for the future, I hope they continue releasing security updates for Opera 12 though. Once they get 15 going though, it would release a lot of development time from constantly working on the engine so they can concentrate on features. But really, Opera 15 has nothing that made Opera my favorite browser so I'll be using 12 until then.

They (opvard, probably) said they aren't. Outside of Opera Mail, of course. I just turned off "check for updates" probably the first time since they started it (I'd use it mostly as a reminder).

Ape Agitator posted:

But my point about multiple pages and subfolders was thinking of my bookmark structure. I don't think I'm unique in having two or three layers of bookmark folders. My folder on computer resources has 10 subfolders and most of them have subfolders of their own along with 30 or so top level bookmarks. One page of speed dial with only top level folders is going to be pretty unwieldy.
Yeah, I'm the same way. For instance, I have bookmarks I only use when clothes shopping :shrug: Most of the stuff that I'd find useful for Speed Dial I just use pinned tabs or sessions.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera Mail Final released :what: (oh, no Linux version either)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

At least Chrome has bookmarks grumble grumble. And, yeah, both Chrome and Opera 12 have some rather significant limitations on extensions (and settings!), but you'd have to look into it to see if what you want is even possible. I always thought Firefox extensions were more powerful (and usually slower), but that's just conjecture on my part.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Well, you... kinda are. If you're talking about YouTube specifically you can opt out here.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Bookmarks Manager official Opera extension for Opera 15. Wow, look at all those 1 stars. :negative:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I follow the extension RSS so I see it when a new extension goes up (unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with just updates so I end up forgetting or missing some). Not that it matters too much anymore with Chrome extensions, but I'm getting off track. Anyway, Classic Tabs extension (unofficial) just popped up which seeks to reimplement some of the old Opera tab behaviors (open tab next to active, changing which tab it focus on when closed) and the dev mentioned working on it more when Opera implements some Chrome API. No pinning, unfortunately.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

Open fastforward.ini in your user profile (Appdata\you\Roaming\Opera, in windows).
Mine was missing there (aka %appdata%\Opera and then the correct Opera folder). I had to copy it from C:\Program Files\Opera\ui to the location listed in opera:config#Fast Forward Configuration and restart after editing it. Now if only the breadcrumbs worked correctly when opening in a new tab!

Of recent news: At this rate, the next Opera OP will just be a section on recommended add-ons for Firefox. :ohdear: Also, I always wondered why the new start page (with Speed Dial and Discover like that, so smart phone-ish) was that way, and the recent section on designing it ("web-based") kind of explains why. Maybe somebody can write an extension to get rid of Discover and junk, considering you can kind of temporarily do it with Inspector. :psyduck:

Also, apparently Opera 12.16 is listed in some of Opera's website directories. While there's no change log or anything, according to this forum post (and newer ones below it) it's likely just a security certificate update.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh yeah, I didn't notice it until I looked into it (meaning, they didn't announce it on the Desktop Team blog :confused:) but they did put up a changelog for Opera 12.16.

Opera 12.16 changelog posted:

Fixes and Stability Enhancements since Opera 12.15
Security
Replaced code signing certificate; see our advisory.
:geno:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

That's just hilarious. Where'd you hear that from?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Hey, no need to be so cynical in a world after Opera Unite completely changed the Internet, forever.

Post on my fridge now.
I'd take Unite redevelopment right now over... this.
Ooh, thanks.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

New Opera (15) for Android. I won't get a chance to check it out until much later (to see what new horrible thing they've done :D), but there is a truncated changelog:

Opera Blogs (News) posted:

Improved startup-time
Improved tab-UI animations
New "open in private tab" context menu
Improvements and bugfixes to fullscreen web pages
Updated translations
Opening files from external SD card now possible
Improved wingsuit capabilities
Discover improvements
Smaller .apk file
Cookie clearing mechanism improved
There also seems to be some new mechanism for locally downloading videos off YouTube and what have you.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 17 Developer is up, quite a bit of stuff and new information. I'll just summarize, check the link for more information. New: Start-up mode (incl. sessions), pinned tabs, rocker gestures (where you click one mouse button and then another), extension APIs ("bookmarks, commands, omnibox, webNavigation"), search engine manager finally (can't remove non-custom engines though). Not ready for development build (turned off in opera:flags): themes, camera/mic, HiDPI (aka Retina) support. No Linux version but that's not surprising.

Upcoming, they're going to be working on: "vertical tabs, visual tabs, tab cycler, move tabs between windows, quick access bar (aka bookmarks bar), synchronization.. We've planned further bookmarks enhancements, further synchronization development, site preferences, and more." Full changelog.

I also noticed in the comments a recommendation for a couple extensions to "clean up" how the speed dial looks.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Those lamenting the loss of bookmarks and tab rearranging may want to check out the newest Opera 17 Developer build. This newest release now has enabled the Quick Access Bar and "'drag and drop' of tabs". I haven't tried it yet, but regardless it still seems like a step in the right direction. Full changelog; also things seem somewhat buggy so check the comments if you have a problem (right-clicking to remove bookmarks from the Quick Access Bar doesn't work on Windows yet, for instance).

I consider this somewhat bad news: Opera has also disallowed extensions to modify Opera's internal pages ("DNA-9253 Remove Extensions on opera:// URLs support"), which means all those extensions which clean up the speed dial/start page are now useless. "It's a security fix to prevent malicious extensions from hijacking internal pages, or diverting searches elsewhere without telling the user.... We'll provide native functionality to customise Speed Dial." A fair enough reason (though I'd argue it says more about Opera's extension curation), but the immediate result is still somewhat of a shame.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I didn't notice it refreshing on dynamic pages (on Development), although that there is a refresh button seems kind of odd.

Wheany posted:

How is the user javascript support? I have written a bunch of small scripts that usually do some minor thing, like allow saving images on Flickr, but I have some that interface with the page's own javascript. Interfacing with existing javascript doesn't work (directly at least) in user scripts on Chrome. I assume this is also the case with Opera 15+ (If it has support for user javascript in the first place)
No built-in userjs in Opera 15+ yet, word is it is coming but I couldn't find a source. The best they have right now is documentation on converting userjs to extensions (kinda); since I haven't heard anything about installing (for example) Tampermonkey I'm assuming userjs managers don't work. I've actually barely touched 15+ (or Chrome and userjs besides a little) so I'm not the best person to ask about its limitations.

ufarn posted:

Just got a really weird error message in Opera Next after a crash that lost not just all my tabs, but my tab history and session.

Serves me right for playing around with the new Opera version, I guess.
Yeah, you should definitely be careful, especially now where everything is brand new and who knows what else. If you want to keep things clean and simple I recommend installing a "testing" installation in portable mode (easy to backup, too). Speaking of crashes, I don't know what your problem specifically was but they just released a small update to Opera 16 Next (changelog mentions fixes crashing involving adding pages with odd protocols to Speed Dial, calling java script:alert method, and closing private windows when downloading).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 16 out! One step closer to Opera Ω.

C-Euro posted:

Do any of you other Opera people out there use Feedly? It's not been letting me fully log into the service lately, I'll sign in and then get to a Google "The following app is requesting these permissions:" page, yet the Accept button stays faded out instead of letting me interact with it.
I don't use it (still using Opera 12, although I finally set up a portable 17 Dev to use Spotify web and junk), but a quick Google led me to this (check the comments).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 18 development out for Windows and Mac. They pretty much just flat out say its focus is what they've already been working on (tabs, Quick Access Bar, search manager), so nothing exciting. The big changes are moving tabs between windows and.. uh... theme installation stabilization. There's some pop-up failure Known Issue, so you might want to wait until the next one.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I hope nobody minds I haven't been posting updates, starting to feel like a bad RSS. Dev 18's been pretty snoozeville in my opinion (not only that, but their half-step measures are really irritating to me), but maybe that'll change since it is going to Next next week.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Opera 19 Developer is out. Mainly just bug fixes (with its own few issues), though. They have a new 'Advanced settings' toggle under Settings>Browser, but it only rearranges two options that already existed. :geno:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't remember what 9.2 shortcuts are, but here's the help page on shortcuts and mouse gestures. Nothing is customizable, though they do have a handful of "advanced" ones that use standard keys w/o modifiers.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

So Opera is changing their My Opera thing over to a new blog format, and getting rid of their user blogging platform. If you follow a feed or (for whatever reason) have an old blog you might want to update or save it before March. They're also discontinuing their My Opera email. For basically everything else (Link is probably the big one, but forums, add-on comments, etc.) the My Opera account information will work as the new Opera account, which is pretty much how it works already.

Opera's definitely, ah, getting streamlined, I'll give them that.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Here's a link to the new blog post. Also has a new Task Manager under Developer tools (which you have to enable under More tools in the Opera menu). Here's a screenshot:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't know what it is about this thread where I constantly skip over it and not check it, but, anyway, you don't have to install an extension for that recent tabs behavior. It's the first option in the opera:flags (just like Chrome!) setting page. I don't remember when they added that but I want to say it was awhile ago.

And, wow, never noticed the "centered image" thing, that's seriously annoying (probably because I don't use Opera 15+ for opening images). While I haven't tried it, Google led me to this old Opera add-on which the newest comment says works for 15. Or you could use Google's Chrome extensions through their webstore (just Google "chrome center image"; I only found a couple and didn't try them out).

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Nope, that's about it for settings really (the advanced settings/code and flags). There's some more internal pages but they won't improve your usability or customization.

Polsy posted:

Is there, or have they said there will be an option to open links in new tabs (specifically, middle-clicking) at the end instead of adjacent to the tab you're opening them from? It's pretty much the only thing that makes Opera Next actually unusable to me and I didn't find an existing option to change it.
That's pretty much it for tab options, you'll need an extension for that like Classic Tabs which looks fairly updated. I'd wager there might be a Chrome extension or two as well.

Yeah, for offline use there are a ton of options; XnView is a classic. I don't think it is exactly a fringe case to want to open a lot of stand-alone images in Opera and find problems with it, though.

Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The Opera Thread! Opera can almost sort of do that I guess

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Hmmm... looks like Stylish has an enable/disable toggle option when you click on the button. The couple others I found didn't seem to have that (or the option wasn't plainly obvious).

Opera 19 Development updated, this time with Sync support (Speed Dials, Stash item, and custom search providers, with more coming later, through Opera Accounts or social network integration). A couple known issues, and a couple comments posting about HiDPI becoming enabled? They also renamed the Quick-Access Bar to Bookmarks Bar :downs: Somebody else recommended the Chrome extension Neater Bookmarks although it looks like there might be Opera-specific limitations to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Sorry to double-post, but Opera 18 final is out. That's the one that includes mic/camera support (getUserMedia and webRTC), some custom search engine support, draggable tabs, and theme support. Most of those aren't as good as they used to be (custom search has limitations, themes are nowhere near as comprehensive as skins used to be), but still, if you're using new Opera and not an experimental version you'll want to update.