Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilshur
Sep 24, 2004
imdb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0479952/

If you saw the first one and liked it, or if you enjoyed such moves as Shrek or Toy Story - you will love Madagascar 2.

The best way i can describe it is this: imagine you are a bunch of adult comedians sitting in a room thinking about how to make a movie about out-of-place-animals funny. The result are an abundance of double entendre, multiple meaning jokes, and ageless comedy. The use of certain animals in certain class/labor/political roles is poignant and hilarious. If you have children, drag them with you, they'll laugh but you might laugh harder.

Two characters specifically that are absolutely delightful are the Squirrel king Julien who is voiced by Sacha Baron Cohen ala Borat/Ali G, and the Penguin Captain Mort who is voiced by Andy Richter.

Largely a testament to the writing, but also with some hilarious visual comedy, the film is immensely enjoyable, has legitimate rewatch value (because there is so much going on, alot of the smaller jokes are missed in the first viewing), and fulfills its goals of a movie that is truly for all ages. I would argue that it is most enjoyable by young adults who could get over themselves and go see a cartoon, because some of the comedy might be lost on older adults and I'd argue that most of it is the stuff that youngsters might 'get' but not fully appreciate.

The main characters possibly leave me wanting in the way of comedy, but they are there more as story vehicles and legitimatizing forces than just the stuff of situational or satirical comedy. None had a notable performance. You will remember this movie for the small things that made you burst out laughing.

4.7/5 Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU