Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

zalmoxes posted:

Is anyone else having trouble updating playcounts from the iphone? i noticed that it updates star rating right after i change it, but no matter how many times i listen to the same song over and over, the play count in my iTunes does not update.

I've had that happen when I sync my iphone. Some songs I know I've listened to the same day as I sync to iTunes don't update. Others, the play count doubles :psyduck:

I'm sure a solution has been posted here, but I can't find it for the life of me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Armitage posted:

I've had that happen when I sync my iphone. Some songs I know I've listened to the same day as I sync to iTunes don't update. Others, the play count doubles :psyduck:

I'm sure a solution has been posted here, but I can't find it for the life of me :(

I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out how to get this to work properly, or if there are alternates to itunes.

I played a bunch of songs since the last time I synced. Only one song updated it's play count and last played this time. At least it didn't double play counts.

I don't know what to do. If it helps, I have Windows 7, and don't have iTunes Match. I've tried to look online for information but it doesn't seem like there's any real information on this despite a lot of people talking about it.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 27, 2012

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

I would be awesome if it didn't crash on me when I updated it. Thank god for downgrades.

I have to downgrade too. I don't know what 10.6 did, but now it's suddenly acting up with playcounts and last played again. I thought i had it fixed in 10.5.3, but it looks like it changed an option, but I don't know what off the top of my head. Now I'm getting the issue with terrible playcount handling again :(

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

IUG posted:

Have you tried exporting your library file before the upgrade, and then starting the program fresh, and then importing?

I did that, but it still did the playcount weirdness. I don't really play anything in itunes anymore because of the issue and it stopped acting up until the update. I went back to 10.5.3.3 and it's working the way it should.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I had a song with 15 plays on my iPhone, and 0 on my local library before I updated my iPhone to iOS6 and iTunes 10.7 on my laptop. I play the song today, and instead of saying 16 plays on my phone, it says 1 on my phone and 1 on my local library.

What happened and how can I fix this? I used to not allow iTunes to update play counts for my local library. If it helps, I don't have iTunes Match or iCloud enabled.

EDIT 3: I did have an issue with iTunes updating the play counts on my local library on sync on a previous version, and mentioned it earlier in the thread. It usually leads to a odd 'double play count + 1' issue if I play a song and sync my iphone. I can't roll back this time though :(

Armitage fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 22, 2012

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Does the latest itunes update fix something that has bugged me for a long time with itunes? Occasionally I'd have an issue where when I want to add/remove/change something, it would be stuck on "preparing to update" for a long time, like 10+ minutes. I'm on Windows 7 and haven't updated past 11.0.1.12 because I haven't heard anything of updates since then that fixes this.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

One of these days I'll have smart playlists with live updating working again. I have a few smart playlists but only one of them actually live updates. This has been going on since iOS 5 :(

Also, was hoping the new update would at least fix iTunes occasionally not reading my iphone, asking me to restore it. Nothing's wrong with the phone and reconnecting it gets it to work again.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Armitage posted:

One of these days I'll have smart playlists with live updating working again. I have a few smart playlists but only one of them actually live updates. This has been going on since iOS 5 :(

Also, was hoping the new update would at least fix iTunes occasionally not reading my iphone, asking me to restore it. Nothing's wrong with the phone and reconnecting it gets it to work again.

and I'm still getting stuck on "preparing to update" for a long time on occasion. :psyduck:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I have two issues which make me regret upgrading to iOS8, as this has been happening since the upgrade.

1) My plays are incorrect. Like, if I have a blank song and play it once, when I sync it'll add 1 to the total. If I play the song again, it shows as having three plays when I sync. If I play the song a third time, it shows six plays. If I reset plays, and play the song again on my phone, on sync, it says four. What the? I don't know if this is an iTunes thing, as I had updated to the latest version before the iOS8 change and never had that problem.

2) I get this more often than not when syncing, a "The iphone "Dennis Eckersly's I-Phone cannot be synched". An unknown error occured (-54)" when trying to connect". It does actually sync but that error shouldn't be there.

Any ideas on how to fix those issues?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

IUG posted:

gently caress, I seem to have this issue, Everything I listened to today is marked as listened to twice. And this includes the video I watched today from the Video app. This is from my iPhone 6.

I think I had posted about this issue in the past but it had been fixed. It was an iTunes issue before, but now I'm thinking it's on the device. It's like it's storing the number of times something is played separate from the actual play count, but not clearing that number out every time a sync is performed.

I'm finding I have to switch to manually manage my stuff, delete the stuff that's been played in between syncs, then un-checking the manually manage box to get the deleted items back on my phone.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

IUG posted:

Yeah, I just tried yesterday with my iPod Classic, and those play counts only counted as one. I wonder if taking all the media off and resyncing will do anything, or turning off Wifi sync.

I can check to see if it re-enabled itself somehow as I turned it off.

EDIT: I had restored my phone when I saw that issue, cleared out all the media and synced it all back on after the restore. Didn't work. My Wifi sync is off too. On top of that, I also updated to iOS 8.0.2, and it didn't fix the issue.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 27, 2014

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I went ahead and restored my iPhone again, and not restoring from a backup. Made sure "Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected" and "Sync with this Phone over Wi-Fi" is off.

Played a song on my phone, synced and got one play. Played the song again, synced.. three plays. :suicide:

EDIT: I didn't see the "restore from backup" portion of IUG's earlier post before doing this. I will restore my iphone again and restore from a backup.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 5, 2014

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

This time I restored and used a backup, still the same problem.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Neo_Reloaded posted:

With either or both of iTunes 12 and iOS 8.1, is the play count growing exponentially issue fixed?

Going to check but the notes for the ios 8.1 update isn't giving me any hope.

Edit: Nope.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 22, 2014

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Man, this is getting frustrating. Now some of my music is greyed out and has a circle whenever I try to sync. :psyduck:

My music is still on the phone somehow.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

After checking out a few songs after the latest iOS update, I haven't seen the lovely playcount tracking issue pop up. A good sign.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 19, 2014

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I upgraded my iPhone5s to iOS9, but for some reason my phone is no longer showing up in iTunes. How can I fix it? It connects to my computer fine, my computer recognizes the device but itunes doesn't at all.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

Did you install iTunes 12.3?

Yes. Even allowed the computer to access the photos on the device when I connect the phone to the computer.

EDIT: The diagnostic I ran says no phone is connected to the computer, but the device manager says differently. In fact, the diagnostic says there's no USB ports found?

EDIT 2: Found solution online:

In device manager, under Portable devices, I right clicked Apple iPhone, went under properties, and drivers. Went to update drivers, browsed my computer for software. Went to c:\program files\common files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers, and it fixed it from there.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 18, 2015

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I still get this weird issue where iTunes keeps wanting to sync my artwork all the time when I sync my music. Is there any way to stop this? Should be one and done, no? Once the music is in with the artwork, it shouldn't need to do that anymore.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

IUG posted:

Either that, or tell iTunes to sync none of your music, sync to remove it all, and then tell iTunes to sync all of your music again. Hopefully re-writing all the files will stop it. I don't think I've had that problem before, but forcing iTunes to upload all the music again might help it.

Unfortunately any fix I've seen so far doesn't work. It's still trying to sync the artwork for 2210 songs once every few days.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Finally got prompted to download the new iTunes update. As someone that's posted about this issue in the thread before without much luck with the workarounds, does the update finally get rid of that absolutely lovely Syncing Artwork to iPhone thing that keeps happening despite me having my artwork on my phone already?

EDIT: Every single time it does this, a few of my songs get messed up and it makes my phone go all out of whack for awhile.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 19, 2016

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

ITunes sometimes doesn't load, no bulk resetting of play counts, copy to play order no longer works, and Wi-Fi sync decides that it has to stop 9 times out of 10 after the looking for iPhone step.

Yeah, I need to roll back a bunch of versions I think.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 19, 2017

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

The iOS update seems to have fixed playlists putting new songs at the bottom, so it wasn't actually an iTunes problem.

I haven't noticed play count issues so far with 12.7, but I still really miss being able to reset the play counts for my entire library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Minidust posted:

I haven't tried wifi syncing in years, has it gotten any better? I've gotten more finicky with my playlists lately, so it'd be nice if I could just sync changes overnight without going near my computer.

*tries to wi-fi sync*

Looking for iPhone

Stops looking for iPhone and the iPhone disappears from iTunes without giving an error message.

So yeah it’s complete trash.