Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I always, always hear of Samsung phones having issues, and even though they seem like the nicest phones available right now, I'm hesitant to ever get one because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I always, always hear of Samsung phones having issues, and even though they seem like the nicest phones available right now, I'm hesitant to ever get one because of this.

Samsung phones have a lot of bloatware, but the Galaxy line at least is fine and isn’t likely to have hardware problems at this point.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
So, I have a pixel 3 and was planning on using it until it stopped working. Got myself a big screen crack a while back and kept on trucking. Now the phone mic has stopped working, and the speaker intensity is much lower. This is problematic for using it as a phone!

I'm considering buying another pixel 3… because it's fine. But what's out there in the smaller sized phone with reasonably clean Android install side of the market that's worth looking at? I'm looking at the pixel 5, but I can get a used pixel 3 for under 200 bucks Canadian.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

T.C. posted:

So, I have a pixel 3 and was planning on using it until it stopped working. Got myself a big screen crack a while back and kept on trucking. Now the phone mic has stopped working, and the speaker intensity is much lower. This is problematic for using it as a phone!

I'm considering buying another pixel 3… because it's fine. But what's out there in the smaller sized phone with reasonably clean Android install side of the market that's worth looking at? I'm looking at the pixel 5, but I can get a used pixel 3 for under 200 bucks Canadian.

You can get a Pixel 4 for about the same price or pay a little bit more for a new 4a.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
update support for the pixel 3 ends this year. the 4a will get you an extra year and a half

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for all the recommendations, I've got this figured out.

Bank fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 12, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

T.C. posted:

Same.o had a pixel 3a and I really like everything except I had to get it replaced because of the same issues and now the replacement won't recognize the sim card which is problematic.

I've kind of lost faith in Google phones which sucks because aside from.breaking it was exactly what I needed.

The fairphone 3 seems to have the specs I want, it's in my budget and I can have a friend ship it to Canada. Is there a fairphone thread or has anyone here had one?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

My LG X Power is starting to chug and crash and overheat, so I'm looking for a recommendation for an upgrade

• Country/Provider: Canada, Koodo prepaid

• Current contract status: the bare minimum, monthly texting + I sometimes add minutes, and I added 1GB of data once in case of emergency and have barely used it

• Budget (phone/plan): less than $300, just buying the phone, will not be switching plans

• Features I know I want: Similar battery capacity/life, similar/marginally improved display, a more recent OS (currently on Android 6.0.1), better ram + cpu, nano sim to minimize :effort: when switching phones

I use my phone mostly for texting, browsing over wifi, non-graphic-intensive games, music, and reading. Being able to turn the brightness waaaayyyyyyy the gently caress down would be a plus. Really I just need some good $cheapish ideas for when the swift-approaching phonedeath comes.

All smartphones in Canada are either unlocked or can get unlocked for free thanks to a 2017 ruling, so thankfully I'm not limited to what Koodo's offering.

e: after getting recommendations/doing more research it looks like the Moto G Power is probably what I'm after. Any horror stories about it?

biosterous fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 19, 2021

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My mom just got a letter from her carrier (sprint) demanding she upgrade her 18 month old phone or lose service. I'm not sure exactly what phone it is, but it was whatever entry level motorola droid thing they had when her last flip phone died and I convinced her to try something modern. It's paid for and works perfectly and she's not interested in a new phone anytime soon. Is there another carrier it will work on that will cost no more than the $50 a month she's currently giving Sprint?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
same network, new device: you can probably find some lte+volte moto e/g/etc unlocked on ebay for under $50 that will work on your current plan. they were $50 new, pretty much.

new network, same device: if she's a light user, $50/m is almost certainly way too much. there are alternatives, but considering the t-mobile and sprint merger, and the amount of MVNOs operating on it, you're pretty low on luck there if it's a sprint/tmo network thing.

exploit/vulnerability wise, old androids, especially that old, are kind of dangerous.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 20, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

My mom just got a letter from her carrier (sprint) demanding she upgrade her 18 month old phone or lose service. I'm not sure exactly what phone it is, but it was whatever entry level motorola droid thing they had when her last flip phone died and I convinced her to try something modern. It's paid for and works perfectly and she's not interested in a new phone anytime soon. Is there another carrier it will work on that will cost no more than the $50 a month she's currently giving Sprint?

If it’s scheduled to be removed from sprint, it may be a 3G based phone, which is getting turned off on all networks. So it may be in her best interest to buy a new phone.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I know this isn't really a cell phone thing, but I can't get any answers anywhere else on the forums so far. But if anyone has any help for this, I'd really appreciate it.

Small business, about 20 employees, and the current analog phone system is failing. Would like to go to a VoIP system that supports text/fax/etc. Video conferencing not important. There is a desire to not use a cloud based service like RingCentral due to the per user monthly expense. Is there a particular solution that can be locally hosted (I guess cloud based is fine if it's not a per user fee basis) which could support this scenario? Cloud based could be ok only if cost could be kept down.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I know this isn't really a cell phone thing, but I can't get any answers anywhere else on the forums so far. But if anyone has any help for this, I'd really appreciate it.

Small business, about 20 employees, and the current analog phone system is failing. Would like to go to a VoIP system that supports text/fax/etc. Video conferencing not important. There is a desire to not use a cloud based service like RingCentral due to the per user monthly expense. Is there a particular solution that can be locally hosted (I guess cloud based is fine if it's not a per user fee basis) which could support this scenario? Cloud based could be ok only if cost could be kept down.

Not my usual area, but I’ve sold the Verizon version of it (I don’t work in that section anymore) which was $25 a phone line.

Whether it’s a major company, ring , whatever, I will say that it’s an area that you may want to be cautious about going too low cost on. Phones ringing is how most companies talk to customers / each other, so it tends to be worth paying a few bucks for a system that works well. The decent ones probably all will offer some type of per line costs, because how else would the make money ?

Not trying to get too preachy, just offering my two cents in that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Duckman2008 posted:

Not my usual area, but I’ve sold the Verizon version of it (I don’t work in that section anymore) which was $25 a phone line.

Whether it’s a major company, ring , whatever, I will say that it’s an area that you may want to be cautious about going too low cost on. Phones ringing is how most companies talk to customers / each other, so it tends to be worth paying a few bucks for a system that works well. The decent ones probably all will offer some type of per line costs, because how else would the make money ?

Not trying to get too preachy, just offering my two cents in that.

When you say $25 a line, does this generally mean $25 an actual phone line? Or is that $25 per user? On the current analog system there's 8 lines, but 20 individual users. And Verizon is the current phone provider so...

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

When you say $25 a line, does this generally mean $25 an actual phone line? Or is that $25 per user? On the current analog system there's 8 lines, but 20 individual users. And Verizon is the current phone provider so...

Tbh not sure , it’s getting way out of what I normally work with.

From the sounds of it, you have Verizon landline for the current provider. You can always call the wireless business team and see if they can do better. Otherwise , I’ll mostly leave it at that because i seriously don’t know, I was more trying to just emphasis the point on make sure you get good quality.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
hi! gently caress cracking your screen!

so I've got a Pixel 2XL, which is getting pretty long in the tooth now - the speakers are starting to go, and the battery only seems to last like half as long as it used to, so I'm looking to change it out for a new one. especially with the screen crack.

It looks like the current equivalent is the Pixel 4a with 5g, which is sold out everywhere, unless I want to buy outright. just about the only thing I know about non-google branded android devices is that the OS is all somewhere between a little bit worse to significantly worse than stock android.

should I start keeping my eyes open for a new pixel 4a5g? is there anyone just doing stock android nowadays?

(also, I'm canadian, if that changes things. I know there's occasional model differences between here and the states)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

egg tats posted:

hi! gently caress cracking your screen!

so I've got a Pixel 2XL, which is getting pretty long in the tooth now - the speakers are starting to go, and the battery only seems to last like half as long as it used to, so I'm looking to change it out for a new one. especially with the screen crack.

It looks like the current equivalent is the Pixel 4a with 5g, which is sold out everywhere, unless I want to buy outright. just about the only thing I know about non-google branded android devices is that the OS is all somewhere between a little bit worse to significantly worse than stock android.

should I start keeping my eyes open for a new pixel 4a5g? is there anyone just doing stock android nowadays?

(also, I'm canadian, if that changes things. I know there's occasional model differences between here and the states)

Pixel 5a is rumored to be announced soon , although Google historically is not prompt or consistent on their messaging and timing.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

biosterous posted:

My LG X Power is starting to chug and crash and overheat, so I'm looking for a recommendation for an upgrade

• Country/Provider: Canada, Koodo prepaid

• Current contract status: the bare minimum, monthly texting + I sometimes add minutes, and I added 1GB of data once in case of emergency and have barely used it

• Budget (phone/plan): less than $300, just buying the phone, will not be switching plans

• Features I know I want: Similar battery capacity/life, similar/marginally improved display, a more recent OS (currently on Android 6.0.1), better ram + cpu, nano sim to minimize :effort: when switching phones

I use my phone mostly for texting, browsing over wifi, non-graphic-intensive games, music, and reading. Being able to turn the brightness waaaayyyyyyy the gently caress down would be a plus. Really I just need some good $cheapish ideas for when the swift-approaching phonedeath comes.

All smartphones in Canada are either unlocked or can get unlocked for free thanks to a 2017 ruling, so thankfully I'm not limited to what Koodo's offering.

e: after getting recommendations/doing more research it looks like the Moto G Power is probably what I'm after. Any horror stories about it?

This is from two weeks ago, but you may want to consider getting a new phone with Koodo and switching to one of their exclusive plans, because they're offering 8 GB for $45/mo right now, which (unless I've been out of the game a while) is a pretty good deal, at least for BC.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
My wife and I are on AT&T in Boston, MA, USA, on the Mobile Share Value 9 gig plan for ~$105 a month with our (extremely antique) FAN discount. I have a Moto G6 and she has a Moto E4. She was recently told she needs a new phone since 3G is being discontinued. My first thought was to get a Pixel (probably just a 4a) and give her my G6 but we were wondering if there's a better deal on another network or different setup at this point. We never hit our usage limit but we both rely on them a lot. Any suggestions? I'm not really up on the different prepaid options out there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twobirds posted:

My wife and I are on AT&T in Boston, MA, USA, on the Mobile Share Value 9 gig plan for ~$105 a month with our (extremely antique) FAN discount. I have a Moto G6 and she has a Moto E4. She was recently told she needs a new phone since 3G is being discontinued. My first thought was to get a Pixel (probably just a 4a) and give her my G6 but we were wondering if there's a better deal on another network or different setup at this point. We never hit our usage limit but we both rely on them a lot. Any suggestions? I'm not really up on the different prepaid options out there.

Verizon would be $120-140 a month for 2 lines of service. Unlimited data, but yeah more than what you are paying, albeit you would get a discount and or switch credit. I don’t know what T-Mobile is for 2 lines.

Pay as you go can be a bit less , but a lot of times it’s lower cell access, so mostly fine but potentially annoying, and your plan is basically $50 a line, so hard to say if any is a huge savings.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
Thanks, that's reasonable.

Is there a suggested 'small phone'? She said she could put up with my G6 but I'd rather get her something that's a better fit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
There not much. Seems like the Pixel 4a is slightly smaller than the Moto G6.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Motorola-Moto-G6,Google-Pixel-4a/phones/10788,11311

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
My grandmother has a Motorola phone from like 2014 and she desperately needs a new phone. She really just needs something that will receive MMS, have a battery that lasts a full day, and be rugged enough for a 85-year-old woman. So, basically anything.

What's a good cheap phone on US Cellular? She's used to Android and I'd like to spend less than $250 all told.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
e. Second double post ever, go me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bbcisdabomb posted:

My grandmother has a Motorola phone from like 2014 and she desperately needs a new phone. She really just needs something that will receive MMS, have a battery that lasts a full day, and be rugged enough for a 85-year-old woman. So, basically anything.

What's a good cheap phone on US Cellular? She's used to Android and I'd like to spend less than $250 all told.

Moto G Play 2021 with a case on it.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Awesome, thanks.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

My Essential PH-1 is on its last legs. I'm on TotalWireless paying $35/month for 5 GB. I try to avoid streaming, because I usually end up close to 5GB most months. 4G/LTE feels plenty fast ATM.

I'm looking at the Pixel 4a and 4a 5g. Is the 5g worth it? Should I try to wait until the Pixel 5a is announced?

EDIT : 5a not 5.

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 9, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BrainParasite posted:

My Essential PH-1 is on its last legs. I'm on TotalWireless paying $35/month for 5 GB. I try to avoid streaming, because I usually end up close to 5GB most months. 4G/LTE feels plenty fast ATM.

I'm looking at the Pixel 4a and 4a 5g. Is the 5g worth it? Should I try to wait until the Pixel 5 is announced?

The Pixel 5's been out for a while. We're almost up to the Pixel 6.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Got tired of hopping MVNOs trying to find one that wasn't lovely in some way or another -- sms failures, VoLTE not working right, something. So signed up for ATT via my employer's discount.

1. Couldn't activate online, had to call.

2. Bill is $20 higher than what I signed up for so I have to go to war over that

3. Even though I'm on a true unlimited plan, by default I'm forced into their data saving option that lowers video resolution to 480p "to save your data!" and I have to jump through multiple hoops to disable it.

Every mobile company is somehow, simultaneously, the worst. No recommendations, just wanted to vent.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The Pixel 5's been out for a while. We're almost up to the Pixel 6.

5a is rumoured to be announced this month. I'm wondering if that will coincide with a sale of the 4a and 4a 5G.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BrainParasite posted:

5a is rumoured to be announced this month. I'm wondering if that will coincide with a sale of the 4a and 4a 5G.

There's usually a fire sale, yeah. I think the big difference there isn't necessarily the 5G but the size. The 5 only came in one size this year (the non-XL) so the 5G kind of took the XL's place.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Samsung decided they can't fix my s21 ultra and also they are out of stock on replacements so are just refunding me via zelle. Weird af. I really loved my two prior OnePlus phones and am debating going with a OnePlus 9 Pro instead of getting another S21 Ultra. Pros/cons?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

Samsung decided they can't fix my s21 ultra and also they are out of stock on replacements so are just refunding me via zelle. Weird af. I really loved my two prior OnePlus phones and am debating going with a OnePlus 9 Pro instead of getting another S21 Ultra. Pros/cons?

One plus does dumb poo poo and isn’t worth your money. The latest thing is throttling the OP9 pro in most popular apps to the point that performance is subjectively and quantitatively poor. Previously they’ve extremely aggressively cleared ram so that you could never actually use the amount they put in the phone. Just get a pixel 5 or some mid range phone.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I have all my work related stuff on an older Pixel 2 that I don't keep a SIM card in, which works fine 99% of the time since either I'm on wifi or don't need it. But that other 1% of the time has become an annoyance on occasion. I have no desire to sign up for a monthly plan since the usage is occasional but I I'd be interested in something where I just pay for a gig or two of data that's good for 60 or 90 days or until I use it up. I'm not concerned with voice or text messages or data speeds - I'd just be using it for email and instant messaging. Basically I'm looking for something like this from Tracphone

But I figured I'd check and see if there are any other prepaid services that are cheaper since I don't care about voice calls or data speeds.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ting might be cheaper. Looks like they have $10/month and $5 if you use less than 2 GB of data. So, it'd be $30 for 90 days if you don't use it, up to $45 if you do.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
T-Mobile has a 500MB/month $5/month prepaid plan - no SMS, no voice - it's throttled to 128kbps u/d after 500MB

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Thanks, I’ll look in to those.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I'm replacing a Motorola G6 Play and enough has changed I need some help. I know I want an android phone and I'm using At&t.

Firstly, should I get a phone that is 5G capable or with that not be critical for a number of years?

Are Motorola G phones still decent cheap options with good battery life and all the basics? I'd prefer a phone that has very good battery life and without anything super fancy as it's wasted on me. Being tough is a nice bonus as I bike/run/hike with my phone regularly.

Where should I shop for unlocked phones these days? I used newegg before but that was a few years back.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nyyen posted:

I'm replacing a Motorola G6 Play and enough has changed I need some help. I know I want an android phone and I'm using At&t.

Firstly, should I get a phone that is 5G capable or with that not be critical for a number of years?

Are Motorola G phones still decent cheap options with good battery life and all the basics? I'd prefer a phone that has very good battery life and without anything super fancy as it's wasted on me. Being tough is a nice bonus as I bike/run/hike with my phone regularly.

Where should I shop for unlocked phones these days? I used newegg before but that was a few years back.

I can’t give a 100% answer on the phone , but newer Motorola G phones should be ok.

Don’t fret about 5G , it’s still 1-3 years away from mattering. 4G will be relevant for literally 5-10 years minimum.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
assuming US: Unless you actually plan on buying a prioritised expensive data plan there's not much point using "peak 5G speeds" for half an hour and then getting throttled into the ground for the rest of the month. not like you can tether with 5G speeds either on any normal carrier's consumer plan