Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm thinking about getting a new phone myself and the wife - We're currently on Sprint and own HTC Heros. The phones are ready for upgrade in 25 days, but my contract isn't up until May 2012, thanks to fuckery by Sprint. I'm kind of sick of the laggy-ness of the Hero and the fact that I can't install anything due to the crappy size of the on-board memory.

I was looking at picking up a couple of refurb HTC Evos for $175 each via Ebay. I know the phone is going to be announced as End of Life this month.

This is how I look at it: if I upgrade in 25 days, I'll only get $125 off of the retail price of a new phone. If I wait until May, I don't know if I get the new contract price or not (I came from SERO, so I don't know how contract rollover works). At any rate, if I go the refurb route, it will cost me a grand total of $350 and I won't have to re-up my contract for a while.

Am I making a good decision here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

As Duckman pointed out in the Sprint thread, the "$125 off" bit is meaningless. If you're eligible for a two year upgrade in 25 days, you essentially get "new customer" pricing on any phone. He knows, he sells Sprint phones for a living.
I was kind of wary on continuing the line of questioning in that thread, since I was going to ask for a recommendation, and thought it better suited here.

So the "$125 off" banner isn't really accurate? Why the hell does Sprint show it?

Anyway, is the 3D really that much better than the Evo? I had read some reviews that mentioned that it really didn't do a whole lot more than the Evo - I don't care about the 3D shtick. If it is essentially the same phone, I'd rather just buy a phone, then extend my plan when there is really a badass phone I want. I don't want to be stuck with a phone for 2 more years that is "meh".

As for the Photon, has it really been out long enough to get good informative reviews on it?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The consensus is that Sprint is mismarketing it, and by emphasizing the 3D aspect of it folks commonly think it's just an Evo 3D, which it's actually improved in every spec category.
Guess I'm one of the folks who are picking up that it is just an Evo with some gimmicky 3D crap thrown in to capitalize on the horrible 3D trend.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

And no, it doesn't really "do a whole lot more" than the Evo,...
Again, I meant an "Evo with 3D tossed in. Thanks for clarifying the differences.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

That said, the Evo 3D still runs Gingerbread, as the original Evo does too. As I've mentioned, Ice Cream Sandwich is due out soon, and although I'd expect the Evo 3D to get an official update to it eventually, it might not be immediately.
I'm not too worried about the OS at this point. I actually don't mind Android 2.1 - it's just the phone that's causing me issues.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It definitely has better radio reception than the Evo 3D, and it's also a world phone.

The fact that it is a world phone doesn't really do much for me, as I don't travel outside the country. The improved radio reception is a plus though - I am assuming you're not referring to AM/FM in this case...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Photon also has more internal storage (16 GB vs 4 GB), although I don't consider the difference to be as big of a factor others. Also, if you have any interest in rooting or custom ROMs, the Evo 3D is definitely a better way to go. If not, then that aspect doesn't matter.
Is internal storage that big of a deal with the newer versions of Android? I don't store music or movies on the phone, just apps, and you can store and run them from the SD card, correct? Also, rooting probably wouldn't be a consideration.

Thanks for the input - it was very helpful. I guess I'll wait the month and see what happens.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm looking for a new plan. I'm currently on Ting, but my wife likes to chug data through Facebook and Pandora. My bill is topping $80-ish right now, and that's with her being "careful." I was looking at Mint SIM because their pricing is outrageously good, but I see that they are about 50/50 in terms of reviews - people either love them or hate them. Has anyone here switched to them? They are a T-Mobile MVNO, and seeing as I'm using Ting, I think I should be OK with that.

Barring that, any recommendations on a good plan with around 4GB data that will come in at around $40 per phone, per month? The T-Mo 4GB $45 prepaid plan is looking alright, but the "plus taxes and fees" bothers me a bit, and Straight Talk offers 8GB for the same $45.

I've got a Moto X Pure, so I can pretty much go with any carrier, but I'd like to avoid any Sprint MVNOs, as their service in the NE US (Connecticut) isn't spectacular.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Cricket has 4gb for $35 with auto-pay

Ah, I didn't see that dropdown. Thanks. I guess I should just get a cheap unlocked phone and start trying plans out... Anyone got a line on a super cheap unlocked tester phone?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 15, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Moto E4 with Amazon ads on lockscreen is $100 new

Yeah, I just really don't want to spend that amount on a phone that I'm not actually going to use later.

Would I be able to get a SIM from another carrier and just swap between the two in my current phone? I'm not worried about the phone number right now, but will associating the same MEID with two different SIMS/carriers screw something up?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

If your phone is unlocked and has the right network bands to use on both, then it will work perfectly, no problems at all with using the same phone on multiple networks. There's no problem at all swapping SIM cards in the same phone. Only potential issue is some carriers I think have to explicitly whitelist IMEIs (Sprint I think does, dunno about Verizon?), but T-Mobile and AT&T will definitely be fine and I think their MVNOs will be too but not positive.

Would I have to port the number every time I swapped the SIM?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Nah, each SIM will be it's own number. So if you want some prepaid network, just get a SIM and activate it normally as a new number, no porting. When you want to go back to your original number and service, swap to your original SIM. You can't have the same number on multiple SIMs, so if that's what you were saying you planned, sorry I misread.

Edit: If you port out a given number/SIM, that SIM card is dead and can't be used again. If you just have separate SIM cards for separate services and numbers, you can swap them in and out of a phone with no problem.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Unfortunately, it sounds like doing this with one phone is going to be a pain in the rear end.

I did pick up a Moto E4 for $40 at Walmart for the GSM hack. We'll see how that goes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Actually I'd say you're one of the few people who shouldn't get a Moto G5+. You should get a Pixel.

First, you keep your phones a long time and the Pixel will be both supported for a long time and usable for a long time. The Moto G5+ will be begging to be replaced far sooner.

Second, the Pixel is just the best phone out there. Bar none. Best camera, best software, best Android. Period.

Third, it's getting announced tomorrow (for preorder) and will be available on the 19th for the smaller one and the 15th for the larger one. That means you're getting on at the ground floor for the support window.

It will be expensive (though Google will finance you if need be) and you should definitely DEFINITELY buy through the Google Store as their customer service is top notch.
He listens to podcasts and takes an occasional photo - why would he spend $800 on a phone (with no expandable memory) when he can get a phone that will do everything he needs for $200? Even if he only waited two years between phones, he could get the G5+ now and pick up the G6+ (or 7+, or whatever) down the road and still pay half the price of the Pixel.

There's no reason to buy a flagship phone if you don't need one.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've got a Moto X Pure, and after 2+ years, the battery is starting to discharge pretty quickly through the day under normal use. I can't seem to find a good replacement battery for the phone, so I'll probably sell it and get a new phone.

I like the phone, so I'm looking for a replacement that's comparable. I'm looking for:

Good screen (Pure has 1440x2560)
Decent camera (Pure is 21mp)
Long battery life
Good speakers
SD slot
64 gb onboard (Preferred)
Unlocked (I'm currently on Ting, but may change)

I'd love a replaceable battery as well, but I'm pretty sure nobody makes a phone with that option any more.

I paid under $500 for the Moto X Pure, so I'd like to keep the cost around there, if possible.

EDIT: I guess I should wait a bit with the S9 coming out soon.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 2, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

stealie72 posted:

Report back on the Moto G5+ I picked up based on this thread's recommendation.

It's a great dad phone, and the price ($180 at Costco) and the battery more than make up for anything I'm missing. Took it off its charger Sat AM, forgot to plug it in before I went to sleep that night, ran it all day Sunday, and it still had 40%-ish left when I plugged it in last night. I don't think I have had that strong of a battery in this decade.

A great choice for someone underwhelmed by the current flagship offerings.

Is that the G5+, or just the G5? Does Costco sell an unlocked version?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Don't know if this was posted yet, but T-Mobile has a new Military Plan - $55 for the first line, $25 for the second, $10 each for lines 3-6. (Works out to the additional lines being 50% off.)

As far as I can tell, this is the same as the normal unlimited One plan, with Netflix, etc, but cheaper.

Active, vets, and retired are eligible. Military member has to be the primary line (duh.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If anyone is interested, Samsung is offering the Galaxy s9/s9+ with 128 and 256 MB now, but you can only get it through Samsung's site. The phones release on the 15th of May. If you preorder, you can get the Gear Icon x headphones for free or a Gear s3 Frontier Smartwatch for $99.

Looks like the Gear s3's are selling on eBay for around $250 right now, so you could potentially make back $150-ish on your purchase if you were to flip the watch (assuming eBay isn't flooded with them in two weeks.)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

poe meater posted:

Looking to get my mom her first cell phone. She uses a tablet daily so it shouldn't be too hard to transition to. I use Ting and I doubt she will use much data, mintutes, or texts. I plan to add her to my plan.

No contract

Budget: $300ish or less

Features: Just for occasional text and call. Maybe a okay camera. I prefer Android and would like for her to use it for a good while. I also have Amazon prime.

Moto x4 is $279 at Amazon right now.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It looks like I'm in the market for a new Android phone - I found out last night that my Moto z2 Force gets to 24% battery, then straight up dies. I'd try a battery swap, but it appears to be wildly difficult to pull off without damaging the plastic screen, and it's stuck on Android 8 anyway.

I know the Pixel 4A just came out, but I don't care for the lack of an SD slot (I put a lot of audiobooks and music on the external card) and the battery doesn't seem all that great. However, three OS upgrades is definitely enticing. I'm really on the fence about it though.

Are there any phones in the same class as the 4A coming out in the next month or two that I should be on the lookout for? I don't need a $1000 flagship - I'm looking for reliability and a good battery in a phone that will last me a few years.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

sourdough posted:

If you want a bigger phone, the Pixel 4a 5G is almost certainly going to be the XL version of the 4a, so very similar except bigger and likely better battery for $500. Battery test results have seemed kind of all over the place on the 4a, though, with some reviews having it just a bit better than the new iPhone SE and others having it pushing 6 hours screen on time in real use or 9+ hours in a video streaming test at full brightness. The most pessimistic battery test results (gsmarena) have the 4a beating the Z2 Force (when it was new), so if you've been happy enough with it, you should be happy enough with the 4a. If you primarily care about battery life, the Moto G Power is another budget option, but you'll be sacrificing camera, updates, performance.

Thanks for the info. The Moto G was definitely on the list, but Motorola's lack of updates annoys the piss out of me. That, and their insistence that 64GB is acceptable storage on a modern smartphone (they aren't the only ones guilty of this though.)

I know I'm going to take a hit if I go for a $300-ish phone, but I'm tired of spending $500+ on something that is intentionally designed to last 2 years and the option to repair is so fraught with ways to inadvertently destroy the hardware that it makes it a useless endeavor.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The 4a compared to the original XL is more or less equivalent or better. If you liked the Pixel XL it's hard to imagine you wouldn't like the 4a.

Just throwing this out, but people are already saying the 4a has mediocre battery life, even if you're not a power user. I imagine after a couple of updates and years, the battery on this phone will be frustratingly bad.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The Stylus is definitely on my short list - I've seen tons of good reviews about both battery life and the camera. The Motorola One Fusion+ is also on the list, but I'm really wary of the motorized selfie camera - I know the one time I drop the phone, that thing will be up and it will snap clean off.

My one gripe with Motorola is the "one and done" OS upgrade cycle for their phones. Running a near pure Android experience should allow them to continue updating the OS at least twice. This policy has me leaning toward the Stylus rather than spending an additional $100-ish on the Fusion+.

AFAIK, the Stylus has a better camera, and twice as much memory as the Power for only a $50 difference (less if you can get the Stylus on sale.) I like the Power's battery, but I also like having a decent camera and not running out of local storage. Both lack NFC, but I never use it, so it's not a big deal for me personally.

I notice that the Power is not currently available on Motorola's website, so they might be coming out with an update soon? I know their anniversary is at the end of the month, and they normally do some sales at that time.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 10, 2020

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
My Z2 Force battery died, so my hand was forced in regards to buying a phone. I picked up a Moto G Stylus, and so far, I'm really liking it. Side-by-side, it seems to be as quick, if not faster, than the Z2 in terms of pulling up web pages. Apps load quickly, and the battery life is amazing so far. I haven't gone hard, but I didn't plug it into the charger last night, and after 8 hours, it was still at 100% battery.

I will say it's heavy as hell, compared to the Z2, but that's the tradeoff for a bigger battery. I'm also not yet sold on the taller screen, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

All in all, it seems like a pretty drat good phone for $270.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Current device: 2 Moto X4's and a Moto G Power
Current plan: Google Fi non-unlimited plan

I currently have me, my wife and my father-in-law on Fi. As you can tell by the phones we're not into the latest and greatest, and just want some functionality.

Currently I'm looking to go on an unlimited plan when the virus blows over. I've tried Fi's unlimited plan and it's okay, service is fine, but what I'm kind of tired of is the lack of phone flexibility. The options of phones on Fi seem to be mediocre or expensive.

My Moto X4 predictably started getting slow with the planned obsolescence updates so I tried putting Lineage on it, but couldn't get the bootloader unlocked no matter how cooperative Motorola was about it. I figured it was Google locking it down. Anyway, I'm not really into buying new phones every 2 years anymore, and I would just like a plan that would accept just about any phone I threw at it, as long as the service just accepts the SIM card.

My bill on Fi unlimited was $167 for three lines, so if something could match that or less that would be great.

TMobile has the Essentials plan for $90/mo for three lines, unlimited everything. They've also got a military option, if that applies to you. I've never had a problem with using an unlocked phone, and the service has been fine for me (southern Connecticut.) You can always pick up a Mint SIM from Amazon to check coverage in your area (or you could just stick with Mint, and go ultra-cheap.)

As for phones, I'm in the same boat - I just bought a Moto G Stylus and, a week or so in, I'm happy with it. It's definitely a decent phone for ~$250, assuming you're not a power user.