Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Welp, time for a monthly report. Last month, my debt went down by $835.69 for a total debt of $37,213.71

Less than I'd have liked, but I had to buy tires as mine were bald.

Mini still isn't sold. Right now I'm looking for a used muffler to replace mine because it's rusty and people will expect me to take off like $500 or more because of it. I can get a used one for $50 online, plus shipping (not applicable if they're fairly local, obviously). Car is for sale in four different places, not autotrader though as I couldn't fit it in the budget.

Last month was a bit rough because my wife didn't work for two days, and that cost us about $100. Her boss had pneumonia and they had nobody to cover for him, so they had nobody work period. It sucked but we managed.

I've paid my dad back about 11% of what I borrowed from him.

So basically, steady as she goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chknflvrdramen
Sep 11, 2007
Making the world a better place... with cookies!

CornHolio posted:

Last month, my debt went down by $835.69

Just wanted to get in before people start giving you crap about the mini again and say good job! Like you said, could be better, but >$800 is nothing to sneeze at.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CornHolio posted:

Good stuff and all but why are you paying back this loan? Shouldn't you be focussing on the ones that are interest-bearing or am I missing something?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Two Finger posted:

Good stuff and all but why are you paying back this loan? Shouldn't you be focussing on the ones that are interest-bearing or am I missing something?

I'm bound by contract to pay him $450/month until I sell the Mini, after which it will go up to $650/month.

The only loan Im paying a lot of interest on is the Wells Fargo loan. Other than that its about $20/month total.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
CornHolio, I just drove through the entire state of Indiana yesterday on the way to Chicago. And I have just one question.

Why the gently caress does everybody up here love Minis? Every fifth car was a Mini once I got north of Kentucky.

edit: I was seriously thinking about you and the wife

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

How did the job performance evaluation go?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

CornHolio posted:

Good call changing the axis of the graph! Looks good so far.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Zeta Taskforce posted:

How did the job performance evaluation go?

I turned in my thing over a week ago, still waiting on my boss to let me know when our meeting will be.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
Is the Mini currently being driven or is it parked up somewhere and unused? If it's being used, what are you going to do once it's sold?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Maggot Monster posted:

Is the Mini currently being driven or is it parked up somewhere and unused? If it's being used, what are you going to do once it's sold?

The Mini is driven every day. It will need to be replaced immediately once it's sold.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

CornHolio posted:

The Mini is driven every day. It will need to be replaced immediately once it's sold.

If you have not sold the mini after 6 months of trying, you should just be honest and admit that you or your wife doesn't want to sell it. Its OK. Your debt levels are beginning to come down, your dad lent you the money and you are not paying that much interest anymore. Hopefully you are looking at a raise. You in essence already own a reliable used car. Gas prices are creeping up again. It is still better if you sold it, getting rid of the car loan, got a cheap car and freed up your money, but it's not the end if you keep it, especially if you keep it for a long time.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

CornHolio posted:

Is there a For Sale sign in its window?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Zantie posted:

Is there a For Sale sign in its window?

no.

Zeta Taskforce posted:

If you have not sold the mini after 6 months of trying, you should just be honest and admit that you or your wife doesn't want to sell it. Its OK. Your debt levels are beginning to come down, your dad lent you the money and you are not paying that much interest anymore. Hopefully you are looking at a raise. You in essence already own a reliable used car. Gas prices are creeping up again. It is still better if you sold it, getting rid of the car loan, got a cheap car and freed up your money, but it's not the end if you keep it, especially if you keep it for a long time.

We still need to sell it, we want to sell it, but at this point I think it's me dragging my feet. I really need to either put it on autotrader or back in the paper. I think when we sell it, though, my wife's probably going to be sans car for about a week, and I have no idea how that's going to work.

The car still needs a new muffler, and I was working with a guy in KY that was going to sell me a used one for $75, but I haven't heard from him for a couple of days now.

We still plan on selling it, but yeah its not as crucial at the moment.

Something interesting happened the other day: Meijer called me. I turned in an application way back in March? when the wife was unemployed. They asked if I could work first shift Fri-Sun. Well, they left a message to that effect anyway.

On the one hand the extra money would help immensely, but on the other hand I would be working seven days a week (I wouldn't be able to work that job on Friday due to my other job) and would never see my wife or child. Since we're doing better I plan on telling them thanks but no thanks.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 4, 2009

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

We still need to sell it, we want to sell it, but at this point I think it's me dragging my feet. I really need to either put it on autotrader or back in the paper. I think when we sell it, though, my wife's probably going to be sans car for about a week, and I have no idea how that's going to work.

Can she car-pool to work with anyone? Since you work different shifts (I think) can you drive her to work and then come back?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Can she car-pool to work with anyone? Since you work different shifts (I think) can you drive her to work and then come back?

She works at 4, I'm not even home until after six. She gets off at midnight, I get up before seven, I try to get myself and my daughter in bed by 11:30.

My mom could take her to work and I could pick her up for that week, but it would be incredibly taxing on us - I'd have to keep my daughter up past 12:30 every night.

Other people picking her up might be an option, I'll have to ask her.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CornHolio posted:

no.

The car still needs a new muffler, and I was working with a guy in KY that was going to sell me a used one for $75, but I haven't heard from him for a couple of days now.

Something interesting happened the other day: Meijer called me. I turned in an application way back in March? when the wife was unemployed. They asked if I could work first shift Fri-Sun. Well, they left a message to that effect anyway.

On the one hand the extra money would help immensely, but on the other hand I would be working seven days a week (I wouldn't be able to work that job on Friday due to my other job) and would never see my wife or child. Since we're doing better I plan on telling them thanks but no thanks.

Your strategy of doing nothing and hoping for the best is tried and true. Never change.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Take the second job. Bust your rear end and get that debt paid off.

My father worked 3 jobs for most of his young adult life (around 90 hours a week) so that his family could thrive. Granted, he had 4 children before I was born, but he still had to bust his hump, and you should too. Your daughter won't remember you not being around as much when she's really young, but doing so now will allow you more time in the future.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Nocheez posted:

Take the second job. Bust your rear end and get that debt paid off.

My father worked 3 jobs for most of his young adult life (around 90 hours a week) so that his family could thrive. Granted, he had 4 children before I was born, but he still had to bust his hump, and you should too. Your daughter won't remember you not being around as much when she's really young, but doing so now will allow you more time in the future.

I really wouldn't do this unless you absolutely need to. Right now his debt is going down nicely and time with your family and friends is more important than money after all. Working 90 hours a week is not something to be proud of, it's a horrible thing to do and it's simply bad for you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Flying Clog Wog posted:

I really wouldn't do this unless you absolutely need to. Right now his debt is going down nicely and time with your family and friends is more important than money after all.

While Cornholio is making progress which is laudable, he is still extremely far in debt. He is only one minor problem from being further in the hole than he was a few months ago. A second job, even part time to build up just a decent emergency fund isn't a bad idea.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I didn't say to work it indefinitely. I meant to say that he should pick up 16 hours on the weekend and chip away at the debt. Since his Mini is never going to be sold, he has to find a way to soak up that 14K in debt some other way.

He could even work 3 weekends a month and make an extra $300 take-home.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

Since his Mini is never going to be sold, he has to find a way to soak up that 14K in debt some other way.

$8,000 in debt.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 4, 2009

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

CornHolio posted:

$8,000 in debt.

Mea culpa.

That's still 80 weekends at the second job. A year and a half, 2 years working a second job won't kill you or monopolize all your time with family.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

slidebite posted:

While Cornholio is making progress which is laudable, he is still extremely far in debt. He is only one minor problem from being further in the hole than he was a few months ago. A second job, even part time to build up just a decent emergency fund isn't a bad idea.
I understand the benefits of a second job, I just think the disadvantage of not having any kind of social life and not seeing your kid grow up are too big to start working seven days a week. I also wonder what kind of effect it'd have on his main job.

At the same time I do understand why you would want to speed up the getting out of debt process... if they do finally sell the mini (and he really should get on that, obviously) and he gets a raise then I really think the cons outweigh the pros when it comes to getting another job.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Nocheez posted:

Mea culpa.

That's still 80 weekends at the second job. A year and a half, 2 years working a second job won't kill you or monopolize all your time with family.

It would though. I don't see my wife at all Monday thru Friday. We're already hardly a family. Take half of the weekend away, I might as well get a divorce because I think few marriages would survive that.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003

CornHolio posted:

It would though. I don't see my wife at all Monday thru Friday. We're already hardly a family. Take half of the weekend away, I might as well get a divorce because I think few marriages would survive that.

Can you assign her half the debt at the divorce?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Maggot Monster posted:

Can you assign her half the debt at the divorce?

To answer the question unironically, who ever originally signed for the debt remains responsible for the debt. Cornholio will not be responsible for the mortgage she signed for with the inlaws. Likewise if only he signed for one of the cards at the furniture store, he takes it with him. If they are joint, as far as the financial institution goes, they both remain responsible for the entire debt until the court decides.

Now I get to ask a question. What is this obsession with Cornholio divorcing the mother of his daughter and the talk that it is already a Fait accompli?

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

To answer the question unironically, who ever originally signed for the debt remains responsible for the debt. Cornholio will not be responsible for the mortgage she signed for with the inlaws. Likewise if only he signed for one of the cards at the furniture store, he takes it with him. If they are joint, as far as the financial institution goes, they both remain responsible for the entire debt until the court decides.
You're going to have to cite a source for this, because it runs counter to what has happened to some of my friends' families.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

swenblack posted:

You're going to have to cite a source for this, because it runs counter to what has happened to some of my friends' families.

Different states have different marital property laws. I'm not sure about Indiana, but depending upon whether or not the state follows Community Property laws has a large bearing on how things would be divided up.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

swenblack posted:

I’m a banker, not a lawyer. All I know is that as far as we are concerned, debts that we originate stay with the individuals who took them out. I can’t speak to the black magic that was used against your friends’ families.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
Cornholio, you just made a worried post in the GM thread about how the bankruptcy will affect companies who worked with GM chassis, you were told they might be screwed, and you still don't see any reason to spend part of your weekends grabbing extra money to pay down debt and put away for emergencies? If everything turns out all right on that front, you can always quit.

I know working all that time would suck, but go back and read the first page of this thread and remember how you felt when your wife lost her job, and then think about how it's going to feel if you lose your job instead. Man up and take care of your family, don't be a martyr about it, and talk to your wife about how important it is to be secure while the economy is bad. A lot of people think we're headed for another crash. At your current rate, you've got four years without emergencies and without a safety net to get through to pay off all your debt. And you're talking about buying a house in there sometime, which will almost certainly require 20% down. Ask your wife how long she wants to go on living in that apartment, and see what she has to say about you working weekends then.

packetgrinder
Jun 29, 2002
Not stupid, advanced.

CornHolio posted:

at this point I think it's me dragging my feet.

This only took six months! We're making real progress here.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I’m a banker, not a lawyer. All I know is that as far as we are concerned, debts that we originate stay with the individuals who took them out. I can’t speak to the black magic that was used against your friends’ families.

IANAL also. It depends on the state. In some states, assets and debts get divided in divorce based on how they were brought into the marriage. In other states, everything is automatically shared the moment it is brought into the marriage. All this can change with pre-nups, though.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
CornHolio, firebomb the Mini and claim insurance on it.

Jesus Christ it has been six months

Esteemed Colleague
Apr 12, 2008

I was, I am, I shall be.

CornHolio posted:

we want to sell it

No you don't. How dumb do you think we are? If you wanted rid of the thing it would have been gone half a year ago.

guaranteed posted:

Cornholio, you just made a worried post in the GM thread about how the bankruptcy will affect companies who worked with GM chassis, you were told they might be screwed, and you still don't see any reason to spend part of your weekends grabbing extra money to pay down debt and put away for emergencies?

I'm sorry but this is 24-karat gold.

Cornholio: You are being an immense tool. Find a job that pays what you're worth in a region that's not a literal economic disaster area. Use some of the extra money to fly out to see family often.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah the "I will be farther from family" reasoning doesn't really hold up if you, by your own words, don't see your wife AT ALL Mon- Fri.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

CornHolio posted:

Few marriages survive drowning in debt as well. Seriously, I'm surprised that you two are still together. Talk to your wife and think about it. poo poo, from what I hear, it's hard for most people to even get ONE job, let alone two. Isn't this some sort of miracle sign or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey Cornholio -

How's this going to gently caress up your company?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090608/bs_nm/us_gm_trucks

quote:

GM to halt medium-duty truck production

DETROIT (Reuters) – General Motors Corp (GMGMQ.PK), which filed for bankruptcy protection a week ago, said on Monday that it would cease production of medium-duty trucks by July 31 after attempts to sell the operation failed.

"After four years of working with multiple potential buyers, General Motors has decided to wind down its medium-duty truck operations," the automaker said in a statement.

GM plans to cease production of Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC Topkick medium-duty trucks by July 31. The automaker sold about 20,000 of the vehicles last year, down from roughly 30,000 in 2007, as the U.S. economy sank into a deep recession.

Chief Executive Fritz Henderson told reporters at an event in Warren, Michigan, that the medium-duty truck the business had not been successful for years and workers would be deployed to other facilities or offered an attrition program.

GM has moved quickly since it filed for bankruptcy on June 1 to disclose plans for brands and operations not part of its long-term strategy. GM plans a quick sale of its profitable assets by the end of August to a new company.

Last week, GM said it had reached preliminary agreements to sell its Saturn brand to dealership group Penske Automotive Group (PAG.N) and its Hummer brand to little-known Chinese heavy equipment maker Sichuan Tengzhong Heavy Industrial Machinery.

About 400 hourly and salaried workers are involved in the production of the medium-duty trucks at a GM plant in Flint, Michigan, spokesman Jim Hopson said.

The Flint plant has more than 2,100 employees overall and also builds light pickup trucks for GM. The automaker plans to continue production of the pickup trucks at the plant.

Navistar International Corp (NAV.N) had been one of the potential buyers for the GM medium-duty truck operation. GM and Navistar had reached a tentative agreement on a sale, but the pact expired in August 2008 without a deal being reached.
Do you build off those chassis?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Chimming in late, but that NY times article is hilarious. What whould make someone with a take-home of $2770 take on a monthly mortgage payment of $2500? What did he think was going to happen?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

il serpente cosmico posted:

Chimming in late, but that NY times article is hilarious. What whould make someone with a take-home of $2770 take on a monthly mortgage payment of $2500? What did he think was going to happen?

The housing market would go up, he could sell it later for a profit or refinance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

Hey Cornholio -

How's this going to gently caress up your company?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090608/bs_nm/us_gm_trucks

Do you build off those chassis?

Our customers do, but they'll just build on Fords instead. Our customers build on GM, Ford, Sprinter, Bluebird, Thomas, and various custom chassis. It might hurt us, but as long as states need ambulances and busses we won't be hurt too bad.