Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just saw PA4 and I have to say, I actually enjoyed it and don't get the people critizing it for being "more of the same". Of COURSE it was more of the same. It's a horror movie series. At this point I view the series in the same way that I view, say, Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th. Just like I might expect Jason or Freddy in one of the aforementioned movies, I knew what to expect when I watch the Paranormal Activity movies and I got what I expected.

Also, the garage scene was definitely the best scene of the movie. It was legitimately suspenseful & freaky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

I's almost to the end of Excision and I can't bring myself to finish it. This isn't a horror movie, it's one of the saddest Teen dramas I have ever seen. :smith:

Oh, Excision! The best (and only) way I can describe that movie is as a sick, twisted, female version of Napoleon Dynamite, but with more gore and sex. It just has that strange, "what the gently caress" quality to the plot/characters that I've only really seen employed in coming of age movies like Napoleon Dynamite and Juno. It works well.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I watched "Grave Encounters" last night and drat, it scared the crap out of me. It wasn't the best movie ever, but I don't get the hate for it. Maybe it's because I'm claustrophobic so the feeling of being enclosed with no way out is what freaked me out the most.

Probably going to watch the second one tonight. Hopefully its as good as the first.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I dunno, I didn't really care that it was derivative. I still jumped at the tongue scene, still dreaded every rounded corner, still felt creeped out by the wailing, and still managed to find the girl standing in the corner to be scary as hell.

Then again, I've never been one to mind derivation much as long as it's creative and works. In this instance- at least, for me- it was. Paranormal Activity wasn't scary in the least (although I do enjoy those movies), but this was. They couldn't leave. There was no hope. None at all. In PA, they could've at least left the house and gotten away from the demon. There wasn't any escape from the asylum.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Welp, you guys were right about GE2. I really hope a demon eats the stupid rear end in a top hat pothead dude's face or something because he is annoying as all hell and quite the douchebag. What kind of friend posts a picture on Facebook of themselves dangling their private parts in your drunken face? And way to make fun of a senile old lady you insensitive fuckwad.

e: not to mention their murky motives for going to the asylum. Do they think it's real? Do they think it's fake? If they think it's real, then why oh why the hell would they go there? Also they're the richest college kids I've ever seen

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 24, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

If you have even a passing fondness for Evil Dead 2, watch it again with director's commentary to launch your appreciation into the stratosphere.

I really like Sam Raimi in general. He's an awesome director if you "get" his sense of humor.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
The original Wicker Man was my favorite scary movie as a child. It was the one that really got me "into" horror in general.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Someone please reassure me that I am not the only one who thought "Hellraiser 3" was a fantastic movie. I'd always avoided it because everyone told me it sucked compared to the first two, but randomly decided to watch it on Youtube today and I absolutely loved it.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Are there any horror movie remakes that are better than the original? I got into a discussion with a friend today who insisted that there weren't any, but I could think of The Hills Have Eyes and Dawn of the Dead, which were at least on par wit the original (if not better). Any others?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My issue with that question is always that the person asking it seems to be implying that the remake had better make the original non-essential to be worth your time.

I feel exactly the same way. I think that a good movie can be enjoyed regardless of how it stacks up in comparison to the original. The 00's Texas Chainsaw Massacre wasn't as "good" as the original, but I still found it to be a fantastic film in its own regard.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The idea that this is a remake has always been pretty spurious. It's a sequel that includes a less-than-10 minute recap of the original at the beginning.

But it doesn't make much sense if we don't take it as a remake. Why would Ash return to the cabin? And replay the tape? He acts as if he has never seen it before. I was ridiculously confused as a result when I watched it back in the day without realizing it was a remake of the first.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Hollis posted:

A little it sensationatistic but a decent article on The Conjuring, The title of the piece is The Conjuring is Rght Wing , Woman Hating , and Really Scary.

http://www.salon.com/2013/07/18/the_conjuring_right_wing_woman_hating_and_really_scary/

I thought it was a interesting article and write up. Anway I am definitely going to see film now.

I just got back from a viewing. I didn't pick up on much of the alleged ring-wing/misogynist stuff at all, although it is certainly Christian in that there's a lot of the usual crucifix/holy water/exorcism stuff. I suppose it can be construed as "anti-female" because the villain(s) are women, but that's a huge stretch and looking too deeply into things. As the author of this article admits, I highly doubt the producers themselves even intended to include such a message.

Anyway, I liked it, but I have a self-admitted weakness for haunted house movies. It's cliched- literally think to yourself right now about what could happen in the movie, and it will happen- but for some reason I still thought it was good. Vera Farmiga is a great actress and almost entirely carried the film on her shoulders.

a rare good quote from the comment section:

quote:

Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Young Goodman Brown," set in New England during the Salem witch trials, features a devil and a witch.A whole cabal of witches actually. Let us throw a hysterical fit and equate the greatest American writer with a holocaust denier. And Hawthorne was a Right wing Christian to boot! Wait no...that was a poetic license, and the story is one of the masterpieces of American literature, admired by Henry James and Stephen King, who wrote a story called "A Man in Dark Suit" as an homage.

This movie could be seen as another of these homages, although probably not as clever as Stephen King's.

Not every story that "believes in" witches is evil. A little aesthetic refinement, please?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 19, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

SubG posted:

I disagree. His observation---in that very paragraph---is that the film grants credibility to the crimes of the witchhunters. We decry witch trials because we understand that they are the senseless persecution of innocent women. The film, by implication, grants legitimacy to the witch trials by suggesting that witches, or at least some of them, were in fact in league with/were literally daemons from Hell. By invoking one of the real women who were accused of witchcraft immediately before pronouncing a curse on the filmmakers he's not showcasing his outrage; he's showcasing the ridiculousness of the `based on a true story' film's position.

I mean if you look at The Birth of a Nation (1915), the problem isn't just that the film lionises the KKK. It's that the twisted narrative world legitimises the KKK's beliefs by presenting freed Southern slaves as rapists hell-bent on subjugating the white South. And if I said that as a distant descendant of freed slaves I wish I could walk barefoot through D.W. Griffith's mansion eating fried chicken I'm not highlighting my rage at the film, I'm highlighting the offensiveness of the worldview advocated by the film, which presents my ridiculous claim as something which is actually true.

The difference is that "The Birth of a Nation"'s racism was so blatant that it was literally the driving force behind the movie. The bad guys were bad because they were black. In "The Conjuring", however, the bad guys are bad because they are witches. It's just that witches happen to be female.

And the whole "Salem witches were actually witches!" thing is such a staple in New England horror tropes now that it is hardly even worth commenting on at this point. And let's not forget that men were also persecuted as witches in the Salem Witch trials too- many of them. A "witch" was simply a gender neutral term for one who was in league with the devil, not necessarily the female spellcrafter we think of today.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Nightmare on Elm Street Part 3: Dream Warriors and Wes Craven's New Nightmare are both excellent. New Nightmare isn't exactly "documentary style" so much as it's the 8 1/2 of horror movies.

The rest (bar the original, of course) are pretty bad.

edit: it's only just now that I realized you can simplify the rule to "Only watch Freddy movies with Heather Langenkamp in them."

I'll be the odd man out and say that I consider every last one of them to be great movies. They all entertained the hell out of me upon my first viewing of them as a teen in the 00's and still do entertain the hell out of me every time I watch them. I have yet to see any series of movies (aside from Scream, maybe) pull off the balance of "horror" and "comedy" like the Nightmare series does and for that they are some of the best things to come out of the same decade that voted for Ronald Reagan twice. They just encapsulate the campy 80s vibe so well that they're utterly impossible not to love and I think that people who actually criticize them for that fact are missing the point entirely. I mean 4 might as well be called : "The 80s: The Horror Movie".

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 21, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just watched Poltergeist for the first time ever and am nearly speechless. It was that good. What a work of horror art. I'm floored it didn't get at least nominated for an Oscar when it was released.

Naturally, my next question is thus: how much do the sequels suck?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

lizardman posted:

Going back to Poltergeist chat for a second, it really has fallen off the pop culture map a bit, hasn't it? Despite the fact the movie was a smash and is arguably the all-time greatest haunted house flick (I'm sure people can site a few they like better, but most 'haunting' movies since have been more specialized in a way while Poltergeist is a very all-encompassing affair, if that makes sense. It feels like THE haunted house flick while most others are a type of haunted house flick).

I think a lot of horror fans haven't really claimed the movie (it's a summer blockbuster, like Jurassic Park except with ghosts instead of dinosaurs) so it gets somewhat overlooked as a genre classic. It's other possible claim to fame, as 'the Steven Spielberg haunted house movie', is also a bit muddled as it's technically not his film even though his influence is everywhere on it. I feel like the movie 's fallen through the cracks in the collective cultural memory and doesn't get its due.

It definitely has Spielberg written all over it, that's for sure. It's really bombastic, cheesy and dramatic but it works, as is the case with 90% of his other movies. The dude pulls stuff off that ordinarily would completely, utterly fail if attempted by others and that's why he's one of the greats.

I think half of the reason why I enjoyed it so much was because of how much I liked the characters. They were all so lovable, even the dog. It just has this really whimsical, almost lighthearted feel that clashes with the freakish scenes of supernatural terror, but again: it works so drat well. The speech the mother had with the paranormal investigator lady about the afterlife during the night investigation stood out as one of my favorite parts in the whole film and there weren't even any ghosts during the whole scene.

I think comedy/horror (though it should be noted that "comedy" doesn't necessarily always equal "funny") is one of the best combinations there is, when it's done right. In the case of Poltergeist, it was done expertly.

e: Wikipedia lists a remake to be released in 2014 and produced by Sam Raimi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poltergeist_(film_series)). He is the only other one aside from Spielberg himself whom I would trust to pull it off.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 6, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

If you liked Lake Mungo, check out My Amityville Horror on streaming. It's tonally more tragic than scary, but Danny Lutz has a personality that keeps you on edge. He reminds me a lot of Vietnam Vetrans I was around as a kid, keeping people on eggshells as if he's baiting them to piss him off.

I really liked this documentary. I'm a skeptic but the way he speaks is so convincing that I actually found myself believing him at some points. He comes off as an rear end in a top hat at times but I can understand why, if his childhood was as awful as he described. It's definitely much better than the subpar reviews suggest, IMO.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

I got my Scream Factory release of Psycho 2 on blu ray the other day and got a chance to watch it last night. Hadn't seen it in years and was expected to be a bit let down, but it's baffling how genuinely good that film is. Like...it doesn't make sense. It should be a pile of trash and it just isn't.

The twist at the ending is fantastic, where the protagonist is portrayed as the killer by the media when she isn't (sorry if that's vague; I haven't seen it in almost a decade). Just great. I never saw it coming, either, it just... happened.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I remember when Devil came out he was saying that this was his first in a planned series of similar movies but I don't know specifically what his plans would have been. I agree though, Devil has a good set-up and a pretty good ending in my opinion, but it drags for like 40 minutes in the middle.

I think sometimes that I am the only one in the world who actually enjoyed "The Village". It had a creative concept, interesting characters, and a cool twist (that admittedly became a tad obvious as the movie dragged on). Everyone else I meet seems to hate it and think that it's, like, the WORST movie ever. I don't get it in the least.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Saw the Carrie remake last night and I have to say, I agree with the general "eh, its average/okay/kinda good" consensus. It really is a straight-up remake of the original film, almost line-for-line in some places ("To the devil with false modesty!"; "Your dirty pillows are showing!"). The one thing that makes it worth viewing is the prom massacre scene, of course, which really did feel more in-line with what King probably originally envisioned but what budget/special effects back then didn't allow.

That being said, I have a feeling the younger crowds will run with this movie and it'll be a sort of cult hit in the coming years. I can see it really appealing to them, as it's quite current. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to or terrified of the inevitable The Shining remake.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 25, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Sweet Jesus, was "House of the Devil" ever great. The build-up is slow and seems to go nowhere, but when it does go somewhere, it GOES. Watch it, you guys. It's on Netflix.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

That movie had me at the "babysitter"'s friend getting stalked and brutally shot. That was one of those bleak, punch-in-the-gut moments like the start of the hotel scene in Devil's Rejects. As unpleasant as moments like that are, I think horror movies could use more of them. Most modern horror is about grossing the audience out while also emotionally distancing them from the characters and the film. We see people die horribly but it's too unbelievable, and we're not given time to get comfortable with a character before something bad happens.

The whole climax where she wakes up in the middle of the pentagram to the end of the movie was like that for me. I don't know what it is about that whole scene, but something about it places it a cut above like 90% of other chase scenes I've seen in horror movies. Maybe it was the close-quarters cinematography? It literally felt like she had a camera attached to her the whole time. It was some pretty gritty, realistic violence and there was nothing dramatic or cinematic about it.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 3, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I'm almost hesitant to post this in this thread, but I like all of the "Nightmare on Elm Street" movies. They're not really horror (aside from the first and NN) and I won't even pretend that they're good movies, but they are wonderful campy 80's fantasy that can be appreciated by anyone with a dark sense of humor. Like, how can you watch the third & fourth movies and be bored? Is that even possible? They're so entertaining and slapsticky.

If the remake would've embraced the campy Freddy and the "dream warrior" stuff, it might've been a thousand times better instead of sucking rear end. Like if it'd been directed by Sam Raimi. Now that would've been cool.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 20, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I just seems like everybody says "I really like most of Craven's movies, except XXXX, that ones pretty terrible", except every time its said a different movie is marked as his one obvious failure. Some people hate Cursed, some people hate Scream 3, some people hate Red Eye, some people hate that movie you just mentioned. He's made a lot of hateable movies apparently.

You know what would've made "Cursed" much better?

If The main character really WAS gay after all. The werewolf thing could then have been played off as a coming out metaphor, and would've work quite well. But nope, because Hollywood in the mid 00's.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

Is You're Next supposed to be a goofy comedy? I have a feeling they tried making a serious film but it just turned out so laughable, somewhat like Evil Dead. It gets pretty color-by-numbers half-way through, loses the horror element and feels like a bad survival film. If you're planning on watching this make sure to check out the prequel, it's leagues better, it's called Home Alone.

I think there are many people who just don't "get" dark comedy and you (along with many others who panned this film) seem to be one of them. It makes me sad since it's my favorite genre by far. Have you ever seen "Drag me to Hell" or "Evil Dead 2"?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 17, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I just watched Haunter and loved it. Loved loved loved it. It was "The Others" meets "The Lovely Bones". It won't work for everybody and there's nothing "new" here, but it still worked for me. It was well directed, well acted, well written, and had tons of 80's nostalgia thrown in to boot. I can also admire an intelligent, strong, confident female protagonist in horror whose brain is actually bigger than her tits.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think a lot of Clive Barker's work would translate spectacularly to animation. Give it the same grimy hyper-contrast look of Aeon Flux or The Maxx, pick stories that would be too expensive or tacky if you made them live action, and hand them off to a director who's willing to experiment and let the aesthetic trump everything else.

I would love to see "The Thief of Always" as a Coraline-style animated film. That might never happen because Hollywood would probably never approve, but I can dream.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Candyman was one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen. I attribute this to the fact that I had absolutely no clue about it aside from "that creepy man in the mirror movie, something something Clive Barker" and thus was totally unprepared for the horrific twist halfway through with the dog & baby. Two of the ones you least want to see something bad happen to in a horror movie, and it happens in an utterly brutal manner. Not to mention the added terror of being accused of an evil crime you didn't commit. It's like an "Oh God no" triple whammy. It is kind of funny, however, how she incriminates herself nearly every time Candyman kills someone around her. She could've left those restraints on when the doctor was murdered since it would've been impossible for her to undo them herself, for example, and it would've proved she couldn't have killed him.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 18, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
I don't know how so many people dislike Insidious 2. What was the problem with it? It was campy and fun and creepy. It's almost like people expect horror sequels to suck and go in with that expectation and don't even give it a chance.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Contracted is literally the worst horror movie I've ever seen.

By that, I don't mean "worst" in a "so bad it's funny" sort of way, because that would mean it has at least one redemptive feature. This movie had literally NO good parts about it. At all. The characters were just appalling, from the awful stereotyping of lesbians (legit, every lesbian character made a quip in almost EVERY drat scene about those pesky men who want to have sex with them but can't because we're lesbians lol) to the main character's horrid treatment of her otherwise nice mother whom we're told is so abusive but who has much more patience with her lazy drug addicted daughter than I would have.

We are presented with a girl who has blood seeping out of every orifice but who still refuses to go to a hospital at every turn. Her vagina is seeping blood at all hours, maggots are falling from her cooch, her eyes have turned blood red, her teeth are turning black and her hair is falling out by fistfuls and what does she do instead of going to the hospital? Why, she goes to work. She begs her proper bitch of an ex-girlfriend to take her back. SHE SNORTS COKE WITH HER FRIEND THE FAT DRUG ADDICT. My personal favorite part is when she goes to a gynecologist while in that shape and rather than saying "holy gently caress I'm calling you an ambulance", he gets all passive-aggressively annoyed with her and tells her she has to wait three days for the test results to come back. And it's presented as this big suspenseful dramatic music cue moment, too, like "omg I can't wait that long! If only there were a place I could go to so I could receive medical treatment right away!" Nobody in this whole movie even remotely hints she should to go to the hospital despite her looking like a super trainwreck on every drug known to man who is dying of cancer, AIDS, malaria, the Bulgarian flu and turning into a zombie all at once.

This movie is "every abstinence film you saw in Sunday school" meets "bad zombie movie the fifth". It's that bad.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
This isn't really a horror "film' per se but I just watched the documentary I Am Nancy and really enjoyed it. It's essentially a look into the "final girl" phenomenon of horror movies and the character of Nancy Thompson. Heather Langenkamp did her research for this documentary, visiting several different horror conventions so she could discover why it is that Freddy is more iconic than Nancy although Nancy is the one who bests Freddy in the end on her own terms, being one of the only slasher movie heroines to actually come after the villain herself without being chased. She discovered a lot of interesting things about terror, feminism, and the ways in which people sometimes draw strength from weird places. Definitely worth a watch if you can track it down. It's a shame Heather wasn't in more films since then because she has this natural innocent charisma about her that is very fitting for her role as Nancy.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 31, 2014

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Just watched All Cheerleaders Die and thought it was great in a silly, campy 2-PM-rainy-Sunday kinda way. Take "Heathers" and "The Craft" and put 'em both into a blender and this would be the result. Not the best movie ever made or even a good one but still so much fun and I suspect that was the intention. You can probably guess what the movie's about based on the title alone and the "The Craft" comparison and you'd be right. I love horror because it's really maybe the only genre where "bad" can still mean "good" if done in the right way.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Sure (at the end of The Den), they're trying to make money - but the point is that they're operating out of some quasi-abandoned 'third world' factory and junkyard. 'They're doing it for the money' in the same sense that the gangsters in District 9 are.

The fact that they are hella poor does not excuse their actions at all, but does prevent you from dismissing them as just bad people or whatever. They're undesirables making use of the same exploitative system that left them behind.

The abandonned factory settIng is especially important in a film about the Internet: the so-called 'post-industrial society' and the 'information economy'. All the 'good guys' work middle-class jobs with computers, and the factory is this terrible, hidden world where the actual production occurs.

Where did the grant money come from?

I see what you're saying but they were still sick fucks and I was rooting for the heroine to take every last one of them out. Preferably with that hammer. It's not often that I actually care about horror movie characters but I was really pulling for her to make it out of that creepy compound alive so when they pulled a last-minute GOTCHA I was honestly bummed and terrified. Great movie, why is it not rated higher? \