Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

lil bip posted:

I have a massive soft spot for Honda interiors, even when particularly barebones, they still look nice and don't seem to rot away as bad as their peers.
Yeah, Subaru and Honda seats seem extremely durable. I've got one little tear in my '92 Civic driver's seat that I think was caused by someone sitting on their keys.

If the junkyard ever produces one that doesn't smell of weed and/or living-in-my-car grime I will probably be able to swap out that seat easily.

slidebite posted:

$700 in :canada:?

I don't believe you. :colbert:

You didn't take advantage of some Parkinson's patient or something did you?

Good score. What's wrong with it?
I'm with this guy. I paid $700 for the aforementioned Civic and it was easily the most hogged-out car I've ever owned. Please come here and make good deals like this for me, thanks.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cool find. Those old Dodges are getting harder to find.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

Owning a 20 year old car now is nothing like owning a 20 year old car 20 years ago. When you're replacing NLA driver FETs and dried up electrolytic capacitors rather than trying to cobble together poo poo from Summit on an orphan car model and brand with zero support beyond shared maintenance items, you get it easy. I own a 30 year old station wagon with more than a quarter million miles on it and it starts right up and pokes along like it did 3 decades ago.

I had to replace electrolytic caps on the ECU of my '92 Civic DX hatch this year. It cost me $7.07 in parts from Digikey and an afternoon with a beer and a Hakko.

I bet the next decade or so of my life is entirely going to be deals like this, bring on the computer age.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Ahh, the sunfire GT, the official car of "i don't have insurance and my license is suspended"

"DUI is more than just a lifestyle for me. I can no longer afford a Grand Am or Pontiac Montana in which to wobble slowly homewards."

I sort of miss my Cavalier sometimes and I don't know why...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Analogue Kid posted:

Just for shits I'll post my other $440 project. Bought it with 278,000 miles and no engine oil. It's my roommate's first car.

It lacks a fuel filler neck entirely, along with other mostly essential parts.

I love this. More please.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

I picked up a weekend car / track car. It has some no name suspension.

Hell yeah. That's a serious swaybar setup too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SquirrelGrip posted:

now in storage till i head back to japan or sell it and buy one here

Wouldn't storage for a drift car in Japan be more than like an apartment's rent here? Or is there some insane drift guy with a field full of total shitboxes that I need to visit?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pre-K Bikini Carwash posted:

The rest of that sweet, sweet insurance $$ will go to finishing up this:

Which I bought for $500. Picked up from middle of nowhere Georgia from a guy that probably can't buy Sudafed from the local drugstore anymore. Interior is already stripped, just cleaning that up. Removing lots of green spray paint and attempting to fix the complete botch job somebody did of removing the factory sunroof. Actually still runs, but there's a hole in the block about the size of my fist.

So that I can drop in this:

Which is a B20/VTEC that I've been building in my living room since last summer. Set up for N/A now, curious to see how much power I can get out of it.

I want to see a whole thread about this ratty-rear end CRX.

Is the B20 really an engine worth saving? I thought they were pretty crappy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

So this thing got delivered today. Broken gearbox, no brakes, and hasn't run in years, should be fun to fix up!

I approve of this project. Please create a thread immediately.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I could be misreading your comments, so if I'm just stating what you already know, forgive me. The motor he's built is a b20 vtec hybrid. "Hybrid" because he's putting a vtec head where there wasn't one before. Very similar to the lsvtec, just a bigger displacement starting point.

That makes a lot more sense to me, thank you. Never assume that I know anything about Hondas, the one in my driveway is fun because every time I mess with it I get to learn new poo poo.

I know that LS/VTECs historically(?) have been based on a B18 but is that just because of availability or was that something they just now figured out with the slightly larger B20 from a CR-V?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

chrisgt posted:

Car has 220k miles, new frame, new steering rack, new brake and fuel lines, looks like a new gas tank as well. Good tires, working front/rear AC and heat, and now that I've fixed those problems nothing seems wrong with it.
It starts right up, perfectly smooth, really quiet engine. It actually weirds me out I'm so used to subarus and old diesels. A quiet engine just doesn't seem right...

Pretty nice find. These things are great. A friend picked one up for super cheap from a woman in a bougie ski town who bought it used for her daughter.

It stalled at one point so she freaked out and told the Toyota dealer to spare no expense in restoring it. Like twelve grand in receipts. New suspension, frame, body panels, exhaust, wheels, ECU...

Anyway he happily drove it for a few years and then sold it to a mutual friend who loaned it to his visiting cousin who let her foreigner boyfriend (with no license) spike it into a ditch at highway speed while presumably texting and driving.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

real_scud posted:

I did a thing a few months ago and finally bought a car here in the UK. I knew since we have a family of 4 that it'd have to be a wagon, and praise Jeebus there are a shitload of wagons here. I'm sure there's something sketchy about it, but overall I think it was a decent buy for only £2000.

Gotta love the wacky French for making it so that to engage cruise control you have a flip a switch near the arm-rest and then press a button on the steering stalk. :psyduck:

This thing rules. It's so smooth, like a river stone.

It looks too big to be a Megane, what is it? License plate search just returns "blue Renault," which is not particularly descriptive.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I am very interested in this and all Korean luxobarges that qualify for the special LeMons rules about them.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out the CD player, is it a partsbin thing or is it special to the Amanti and you can't just chuck in one from an Elantra/Optima/Spectra?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Thrasher posted:

I’ll post a bunch of updates in its own new thread.. lots of work left to do on it, but all the suspension work is done! :woop:

Awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

At night, everyone is going to assume you are a cop and start driving under the speed limit around you.

It is infuriating.

Add neons.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

So I bought a large pile of moss and dirt with some metal and plastic underneath:

I was talking to my dad about a couple of old Citroens I'd been looking at lately, and he mentioned that there happened to be one that's been mouldering away to the side of a neighbour's house in his village for years. Out of curiosity I went to take a look, and underneath all the shrubbery the metal was in surprisingly good shape, the interior looked like it had just come from the factory and the engine wasn't seized. I chatted up the elderly owner for a while, who revealed that he had originally bought it from a coworker for his wife to use, except she hated the lack of power steering and he ended up using it himself until he bought a more modern daily in 2011, and it has sat unused ever since, though occasionally he fires it up to move it around the property. I offered him just over scrap value for it, which he accepted. It's a Citroen BX 14 "St. Tropez Special Edition" which to my understanding just means that it has a sunroof, an all-white exterior including the wheels, and some decals and pinstripes. The only unknowns are the hydropneumatic suspension, which I can't test until I can get the car running, and the bodywork on the side that's up against the wall, but if it all ends up being garbage I'm barely out any money so what the hell. I'm really looking forward to blasting all the crap off it and putting it back on the road!

I've always wondered how you get this mossy crap off of cars. It's so dry here that it never happens, but out west on the island it seems like most abandoned cars are strangled with it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Xy Hapu posted:

Added vehicle #2 to my collection, ole moby dick there in the back:

Old E-350 airport shuttle with a 7.3 powerstroke and 100k miles. Doesn't seem bad for $2k, but then there is the rust. There is always the rust. Needless to say I am open to any goon recommendations for good welders in the Northern Virginia area :v: The plan is to convert her into a mobile home and live in it forever with my e36 towed behind once the floor isn't in imminent danger of falling onto the roadway.

I feel like you're going to find so much lost stuff when you take that interior apart.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
So cool.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DropShadow posted:

Welp, just impulse purchased a '95 XJ on eBay while driving home from a weekend trip. I bid in the last minute and only raised the bid $50. Expected to get outbid, but nope. Accidentally won.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=173408203333&

Holy crap, that thing is beautiful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Duck and Cover posted:

"The smaller you are the harder you are to hit" - Wisdom from an ex 2013 mini owner. Although they keep getting bigger and bigger.

Plus it's pretty easy to hit a stationary object.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

forgive the lovely phone pictures and godawful console workmanship, I just got it running

I figured that since my 1987 Mazda 323 Wagon's engine was starting to get a bit weak and the transmission started grinding cold at an oddly low 284,000miles , that it was time to replace the engine. I could have just bought another crappy B6, but instead I built probably the fastest Mazda 323 Wagon in the US that actually runs, all done with period-correct HKS performance parts.

So, I found an early Capri XR2, bought the engine/trans/wiring, and it more or less bolted right in. After surfing eBay and Croooober, I bought what was probably the last brand new in box HKS PFC F-CON. I couldn't stop there, so I bought a a Graphic Control Computer 2 for fuel map editing and an original Electronic Valve Controller to complete the JDM tuning trifecta. Currently it is running just about 1 bar, about double the stock pressure on a VJ11, the next size up turbo, from a Ford Probe. Its pretty fast for 2400lbs, and runs awesome except for the valve stem seals being total garbage and smokes on cold startup if its sat for more than 2 days. I found a Mk2 GTI with a Techtonics stainless steel exhaust and cannibalized the resonator and muffler from it, preserving most of the piping distances in an attempt to keep the sound from it, which I always had liked. I have to clean up the wiring, get an EGT bung welded in, and put the wideband on to see what I need to to for tuning. Unfortunately, I only have the harness for RPM based adjustments with the GCC, meaning that I can't richen it up as easily at high boost pressures without loving up the part-throttle tuning. I might be able to change GCC harnesses, I have one from Road Race Engineering when I bought a GTX from them like 12 years ago that might give me pressure based adjustments. Its REALLY hard to get information on this stuff beyond the scans of paper manuals.

The weirdest thing is that the holes and captured nuts in the core support for the intercooler are there, despite Mazda never making a turbo 323 wagon. Curious thing, that.

Green mushrooms of death are the greatest HKS contribution to ricer culture.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That would look great in any of the 80s-90s tuner junk that I have lying around the place.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

I've had a huge boner for the 480 ever since I found out about them, and constantly bemoan Volvo's decision to not bring them to the US.

Nice ride.

I saw two in the Netherlands during my last trip and fell even further in love with them.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Man the last time I was in this thread was forever ago, I turn the next page and 'TINY NO HP CAR = DANGEROUS ON FREEWAYS!' happened. I thought freeway speed was like 55mph? What cars can't hit that?

Anyway in honour of lovely low powered cars, this is my 'new' Civic. His name is Ralph and he's a lovely rattle-can black car with screw on arches, wide steelies with stretched tyres and cut springs. He came with BC coilovers, panhard and a bunch of bushings though so he's getting fixed up soonish. A friend of mine owned one of these before and it was a joy to drive, stupidly light and go-kart like in terms of handling so I had to have one. £1100 with £700 worth of 'free' coilovers plus other bits = bargain.

I really like your Civic. I shouldn't have sold my EG :( But now I can get a nicer one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Oh god, i can smell it. Is this a new youtube feature?

I'm surprised the camera's lens isn't watering.

Mmmm, FB.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

I bought a couple of brown vans:

I just want to curl up in that interior and never leave my perfect bubble of 80s/early-90s satisfaction. Maybe get up once in awhile to flip over the tape.

HiAce pedal boxes are so weird with the pedals shunted over as far as they are.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

davebo posted:

Yeah that's it! I didn't remember it got that chopped up. Are you sure there wasn't a video to go with it though? I thought I remembered seeing it moving. Although if it was only an article with photos that would explain why I could never find the video years later.

Are you thinking of the Vette Hack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfpQTAFoTU4

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
That's a quality ride.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

FC #1: In the tow truck cab.
FC #2: In the car - steering lock didn't work.
FB #1: In the car - no room in the tow truck.
FB #2: In the tow truck cab.

Which FB was the white supremacist driver, the last one?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MetaJew posted:

There's a minivan in my office parking garage with this sticker:

If minivans were still Previa/Dustbuster-cool that'd be one thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Admiral Bosch posted:

Did someone say Ford trucks?

My dad had an '88 gasser red Custom with a different-coloured drivers' door too. That was a great truck.