Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

1999 Ford Taurus. Been sitting in the driveway for about a year since mom died (Jan 2009) and signed it over to me.

While it was in the driveway, the driver's seat's electric movement gadget spazzed and the seat moved as far forward as
it could go, and stayed there. I would assume that the switch had a closed circuit for about eight months - about halfway
through, the battery was toast, but at least while it was hooked up to the jumper cables it would still start fine but
die instantly when the jumper cables were removed.

It had been previously determined that I would move out of the house immediately upon graduation from high school, so two
days after I graduated I packed up my uncle's car with half my stuff and moved from Roanoke to his house in Arlington, VA
for the duration of my summer break before beginning here at George Mason University. A couple weeks before move-in, I
got the necessary papers to get it registered and titled, then took a Greyhound back home to pick up half my stuff and
get my car working.

When I got there, it was discovered that it would no longer start at all, regardless of jumper cable status. After a new
battery was installed, it started and worked fine, apart from the fact that the seat was still jammed forward with 4
inches of leg room, so my dad promptly drove it to a shop across town, with me following in his truck - a couple days
later we checked back, and they'd gotten the seat moved back, but didn't know exactly how they'd done it - I was
satisfied. My car worked, and I had plenty of knee room, and the seat switch didn't appear to still be draining the
battery. So I drove it home from the shop, packed it up with the remainder of my stuff, took the pictures above (bike
rack is currently in the trunk, bike stored safely elsewhere), and the next morning returned to Arlington.

I got a proper supply of junk prepared for college, got the state and emissions inspections done (meaning it was then
fully legal to drive) and the move-in went flawlessly. Paid $90 for the cheap parking a mile from my dorm (rather than
$500 to park wherever I want). I'd been driving it around periodically - a trip to Wal-Mart here, a drive to Best Buy
there, maybe a trip at 3:30 AM to pick up my roommates who had walked 6 miles looking for a store that was actually open
so they could get cigars... Good times.

Then one day I hopped a curb. And the noise began.

It was a harmonic humming noise coming mostly from the back right wheel, but a little from the left too. It would start
after I'd been driving at a normal speed (35+) for about 15 minutes, then continue regardless of what speed I was driving
at. At first, any leftward motion would stop it, but soon that only softened it; turning right always made it worse;
braking always stopped it immediately. I dealt with it for a couple weeks before taking it to a nearby garage for a tire
rotation and to see what they could do about the noise. They were reluctant to actually take the wheel assembly apart to
see what was causing the noise; it would cost $87 to do that, plus they figured it was a result of uneven wear on the
tires, so all they did was rotate the tires for $25. Problem solved. Mostly.

So now the noise is pretty much gone. The seat issue isn't completely resolved - it will move up, down, and forward, but
not back - so it's currently about halfway between its maximum extents, and I'm quite content with it there. The only
other problem may be that since it's a dark color, it gets intensely hot in the sun, and I'm afraid it may get hot enough
for something important to melt. Logic tells me it'll be fine, but there's still the nagging concern, so I usually put a
pair of shiny window insert things in the south-facing window when it's parked. That's not helped by the fact that the
air conditioner doesn't work, and I'm too lazy (and cheap) to try to get it fixed; plus, I've got pretty good heat
tolerance. (I can still guarantee that the next car I get will NOT be a dark color!)

Overall it's a pretty good car - comfortable, performs well enough, great sound system. It uses more gas than I'd like
(about 20 mpg) in addition to a smallish gas tank (my dad's truck, which taught me to drive, has a 30 gallon tank), but
there could be (have been) worse problems with it than a tiny bit of tire noise, devilish seat controls and lots of heat
without air conditioner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I really don't wanna drive my Taurus to a rodeo.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Field. Stockyard. Rural gravel road. Slaughterhouse. Neighbour's Lamborgini.

Neighbor's lamborghini?! :laffo: I live on a college campus, and if anyone had a Lambo, I'd know about it. (And I only moved here at the end of August... A Lambo would stand out like a sore thumb here)

My college is in the Washington DC burbs... There are no fields, no stockyards, no slaughterhouses, no rural gravel roads... no gravel roads at all, or anything rural for that matter. Burbs, and lots of it. Where I come from, it's much easier to find something on your list, with two exceptions: One, i don't know of any slaughterhouses (I'm sure there are some...) and two, if I go to a "rural dirt road" then 4x4 is absolutely necessary, and my car... ain't 4x4.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 6, 2010

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

Yeah, you're not convincing anyone with those arguments.
First, google tells me the National Cattlemen's Beef Association has its headquarter's in D.C. Take a picture of your Raging Bull in front of their building.
Second, I've got worse suspension, less power, less torque, shittier tires, and lower ground clearance than you, but I put more kilometres behind me on gravel and dirt than I do on any kind of pavement:

Click here for the full 1140x748 image.

Click here for the full 1200x527 image.

A public road is a public road, any street-legal car* should be able to get down it as long as it's open and not flooded.

* With the obvious possible exception of exotic supercars, which you have just explained do not live near you.

...Yeah, that's not what I'm thinking of. How many creeks do you drive through on that road? The road I'm thinking of crosses seven, if I remember correctly. Very rocky, nothing a Ford Taurus could handle. A pickup should handle it just fine though, even without 4x4, as I didn't use 4x4 when I drove my dad's Silverado across it a few months ago. All that's really necessary is decent ground clearance like what most stock pickups have.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...021136&t=k&z=16

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 8, 2010

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Blaster of Justice posted:

I need it man.

For content: My daily ride.

I want that car! Looks a drat sight better than mine, with the same size engine. Plus I kinda want a station wagon.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

If you like it, you should definitely try to find one. The 406 TS6 is a car that will give you close to no problems maintenance wise.

The drive-train is rock solid, and will haul your rear end around for years and years. The interior is on the right side of "decent" - it's actually pretty nice, and comfortable.

The chassis is almost immune to rust, even in the harsh Norse climate where I live, and the under-body handles just as well as any comparable BMW, VW, Mercedes or Audi in the same class, but at a considerable reduced price - at least where I live. I don't know about the States, since the car wasn't exported to there.

In contradiction to most French cars, the 406 has almost none electrical or electronics gremlins, and the T6 has almost everything you might desire regarding electric equipment.

Spare parts are cheap where I live too.

Performance wise it's a pretty fast car with a tremendous torque. It absolutely performs as what you'd expect from a 3.0l, 60°, 24 Valve V6. It'll take you from 0 to suspension of your drivers license, in most parts of the world, on the edge of friction.

It's NOT a race car though - TS=Touring Sport, but it IS considerably faster than most cars you'll face in Europe. 210 HP for less than 1200 Kg is sufficient to launch it pretty fast. It also responds really well to a turbo (might be an upcoming project ;) )

I can only recommend the TS6. Using it as a daily drive is guaranteed to smear a broad smile all over your face, unless you're caught at the gas station. Expect around 10Km/l or 23.5mpg. Not terrible, but definitely not quite political correct ;)

My car can be seen a few pages back. It works, decent acceleration and torque, gets me around just fine and all - probably similar performance to your car since they've got the same size engine and (guessing about yours but) both are front wheel drive. Don't know about yours but my car gets about 20 MPG.

From certain angles it looks nice, but overall the styling is too round, and I like cars to have a nice combination of square parts and round ones, or all square ones... God that does not sound intelligent...

Anyway, your car is not especially unique in any way other than that it's a Peugeot, which would mean that in the States it would stick out like a sore thumb. I guess the next best option would be a Saab, since those are sold here... something like this would be just fine.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 20, 2010

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

dissss posted:

Depends on what engine you have in your Taurus really. That Pug is a little more powerful than the top spec Taurus but a lot more powerful than the basic SOHC model.

It's got a 3-liter V6, which is actually saying exactly nothing about what kind of engine it has since the only engines offered in 1999 were two 3L V6 models, one the Vulcan and the other a some DOHC thing. Note that I have absolutely no idea which is actually better, although the DOHC was offered on the higher-end versions, or so says Wikipedia. I also don't know how to find out which one my car has. (It's got the LS badge IIRC)

The transmissions offered were also a choice of two 4-speed automatics. I've again got absolutely no idea how they're different.

Should I take a picture under the hood next time I go out to my car? (I'm on a college campus paying for the cheap parking pass, meaning that my car is a mile away from my dorm so I have to either walk/bike/scooter, or take a shuttle)

My area of expertise is computers, not cars, but I want to know absolutely everything that I can know about my car, and what it all means. (Thing number one: The AC doesn't work, and I don't care. Thing number two: The paint is peeling off the back bumper and I only slightly care.)

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 21, 2010

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Keep living in your dream-world.

A Peugeot 406 TS6 with the ES9-J4S engine is a LOT faster than any iteration of your Taurus. Even the 3.4l V8 SHO engine won't match.

Judging from the pictures you've got a LX or SE. Probably the LX.

That's 145Hp @ 5000RPM compared to 210Hp @ 6000RPM and torque at 180Nm @ 3650RPM compared to 285Nm @ 3750RPM

Your daily drive is loving slow, but chances are, that it'll pick up speed in a few years as rust progress and weight reduce its massive, fat body ;)

Sorry ;)

It's SE.

Hey, I learned to drive in my dad's ancient (1995) Chevy pickup - its favorite speeds are 40 mph and 80 mph (which might be the top speed) - the gas pedal seems calibrated to make it impossible to creep along at parking-lot speeds, and also impossible to keep up properly with hignway traffic - either you do 40 in a 65 zone, or it accelerates past 70, at which point I always let off the gas. If I'm lucky enough to come across a road with a 40mph speed limit then I'll have absolutely no trouble maintaining the proper speed. Also it blows out a giant cloud of blue smoke when it starts and it makes a small but infuriating tinkity-tink noise with long uphills, of which there are plenty where I come from.

My car, on the other hand, will do whatever speed you I want it to do, and take however much (or little) time you I want it to take to get to that speed. Can't compare it to your car, but it's faster and more stable than both my dad's old truck and my stepmom's 1994 Buick Roadmaster.

Also haven't had much time to really get to test out its acceleration - I'm at college in the DC burbs, and roads here are too crowded to try to floor it up to the speed limit... but back home I'll have no trouble finding a decent place to do it, in fact I know exactly where I'll do it; there's a long flat section of road right next to the truck's favorite place to make the tinkity-tink noise...

Might be for you what driving my dad's truck is for me, but for me, it's plenty fast enough to get my license revoked (or worse).

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 21, 2010

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

It looks so...downtrodden.

The only times that mashed cars don't make me sad is when I'm playing video games, and even then sometimes I'm trying to preserve the integrity of my ride...

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

JerseyDevil posted:

This little black beauty is was my ride, until Wednesday, 10/20/20.
What year is it again? Or did you get one a' them newfangled time machines? :haw:

Brain Issues posted:

But all landscapers are?
My dad isn't. Born and raised in Virginia to parents native to Virginia.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 26, 2010

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So, right. I've got a car. With air conditioning. This air-conditioned car happens to be a '99 Ford Taurus SE with air conditioning. I feel compelled to post pictures of it but I'm a lazy gently caress soI don't want to aw what the hell here's a picture of it. Without air conditioning.

(Had work on the AC done this weekend so I'm all :buddy: 'cause it works now)

Anyway, the question at hand is this: How big is the gas tank? I did a little experiment to find out what kind of fuel economy it gets, and from a full tank to pretty much empty it went 270 miles, mostly city driving. Assuming the gas tank's 15 gallons, that gives me 18 MPG (which I consider pretty decent).

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

stump posted:

Just fill the tank till the pump clicks and note how much you put in, using the empty tank capacity is pretty sketchy since there is usually a decent amount left when the gauge is at almost empty.

I had the needle pointing directly at the E mark when I called it quits, and I'd just assume that it's better to have a lower number so I can figure "this is about as bad as it's likely to get". I mostly just want a ballpark number, nothing specific, but not an optimistic one.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Yeticopter posted:

How about checking the owner's manual?
Tried that, don't recall seeing it there.

mod sassinator posted:

edit: And based on fueleconomy.gov it looks like you're getting what you should expect with city driving: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/2008car1tablef.jsp?id=15098

That's the first place I checked, even before I'd thought to try it out on my own. Then I figured that since there were two 3L V6 engines offered in '99, they might have done the calculating with the 24-valve DOHC, but my car has the 12-valve Vulcan and there might be a difference in economy so I went and tried it out on my own.

Looks like the Guvmint's numbers are about right then.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

War Bunny posted:

Read through this entire thread, thought I better post my daddy-mobile.

And my favorite sticker.

:3:

The best window sticker... in the world.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

NurSpec posted:

Just bought this a couple weeks ago, god drat do I love it!

2005 Baja Sport 5MT. Had to go halfway across the state to buy it but holy poo poo it was worth it.

Lemmme guess... you paid brand-new MSRP, didn't you? :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Whaddya call a cross between a station wagon, a minivan, and a Jeep?

Here's a hint:

It's a '94, just got it yesterday for $1100. Runs great, but oh god the rust :stonk:

...there isn't any.

Best deal evar. Interior is in decent shape, 4x4 works, by far the cheapest Burb on Craigslist. And I wasn't out looking for a Suburban, I just wanted a set of wheels with some passenger space for under $1300.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

angryhampster posted:

Nice! Find a set of Vortec heads for a nice power boost on the cheap.

I have precisely zero free time these days, but I've got two weeks off around Christmas. I actually might do that, it's kinda slow. Does it help with fuel economy at all? cause holy crap this thing sucks down gas.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Guru Yaekob posted:

I rolled into a toolbox and the car crumpled up like a tin can.
The way cars get good crash test ratings is that the front end crumples to absorb the impact, and the passenger compartment is stiff so the passengers don't get mashed up against the firewall. What the tests mainly look for is deformation of the passenger compartment - lots of deformation, bad score; little deformation, good score. They don't pay attention to deformation of the front end, they expect it to be completely trashed. A side effect of the crash protection in front is that the tiniest fender bender may cost a few thousand dollars to fix.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

'94 Suburban. Seen here offending the wealthy and entitled at the mall.

edit: That's actually pretty clean, there's mud caked under the mirrors now. Not gonna wash that off until it rains, which could be months from now.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The green car had plenty of room and I wanted to give the minivan extra room because children, plus the parking spots are tiny to begin with. :colbert: Hey, at least I was trying.

...Kinda.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Somebody say something about dust?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

...So don't hit the cones. :colbert:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Think of it like people that dye their hair green and pink... do people immediately think that's horrible and ugly? Some do, because it detracts from the conservative image they prefer, but others either don't care or they actually like it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

That is a Kia Sportage. :stare:

That is a Kia Sportage. :stonk:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Good lord. That loving truck. :swoon:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You need to come to America. We stuff 300+ HP V8 engines in front wheel drive cars with no regard for torque steer. Seriously, Impala SS, it just yanks the wheel back and forth on you.

I haven't been much more terrified of a car than when I had approximately FIVE ASSPUCKERING SECONDS AGO to accelerate from a dead stop to 65mph in a 2013ish Dodge Caravan. That "five seconds ago" being when I actually buried the pedal. And then it went forward. Mostly. Also sideways. Either side, didn't matter. It was 3.6 liters of Pentastar fury straight to the front wheels. Actually never mind that "straight" part, it went through the steering wheel and then to the pavement.

But holy crap, that Citroen. :swoon:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Elephanthead posted:

04 is the best 4.0.
Does that also apply to the Wrangler? My uncle's got one with a 5-speed and near as I (with my low standards) can tell, it's stupidly overpowered even bone stock. The drat thing lays down elevenses just trying to merge into traffic.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

The question is not "But what the hell are you going to use it for?" - the question is "What CAN'T I use it for?"

:911:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

Winning fuel efficiency contests?
Sure, as long as I'm fighting one with the 8.1 or a V10 Excursion :v:

That 6.0 really sips fuel though, about as much as I sip alcohol. (i.e. chugs it) But hey, it goes like a bat out of hell. And yes, I have low standards - the last Suburban I had was about the same on gas but the gas pedal was an on/off switch unless you like to creep around at 20mph.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jan 28, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

2001 Suburban 2500.

It's big,

it's red,

and it doesn't give a gently caress.

Because Murica.

It really oughta go in the "your best car" thread but I haven't had it long enough to be sure yet.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Nice truck! 6.0 or 8.1? That era of suburbans are gently caress off hard to kill... Just every thing else rattles off the bodies.

Six liters of Vortec fury. Which I actually say unironically, this one puts out 315 hp, a full 50% more than the last Suburban I had while weighing about the same, so by my standards it's stupid quick. It's getting to be about the time of year to get that A/C working, so naturally because I make wise financial decisions I'm just gonna buy a second car and use this as a weekend hoon and work truck. The seller (who worked at a county motor pool) said it was very well maintained... but there are holes in the grille where the strobe lights used to be because the owner before him was the county fire department, so it was probably run pretty hard. I plan to do the same. :getin:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 16, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

POKEMAN SAM posted:

What's sitting in the back there on the right?
Doesn't matter, it's not blue

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Well unfortunately our beloved Explorer needed a bunch of A/C repair work done to the tune of a compressor, clutch fan, lines, etc. but fortunately, it came at a time when we were looking for a replacement anyway. So we decided to go down to the Ford dealer and drive a few used and new F-150s after the wife decided she didn't like the new Colorados all that much after all and the Silverados we saw in our price range were all fairly stripped out, with the dealers locally not offering great deals.

All I have are pictures I took at the dealership, but since getting it home I have taken the stupid front plate and bracket off. I wish it didn't have chrome wheels, but so be it. The dealers have crazy incentives going on right now, and we got it for $9k under MSRP with all the cash back offers. 2015 F-150 XLT with the FX4 "off-road" package. It's the biggest vehicle I've ever owned, but I am surprised at how well it handles and how easy it is to back into parking spots in the parking garage at work. The 5.0 is also powerful enough to scoot this monster with surprising gusto.
Good poo poo. I'm coming to like those more and frankly I'd be most likely to get one with the V8 also, just because it's a simpler and more well-established design, and also because I have low standards for fuel economy - with the 94 Suburban I used to have, I'd be getting MPGs in the low teens and drop $125 on a tank of gas and not even blink. That tinfoil bodywork you've got is gonna do some magic for your fuel economy, no doubt.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 3, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I'm surprised it weighs more than my Suburban 2500 even with the empty pickup bed. Guess that widebody is sturdy as gently caress or something? Mine's listed at 5,760 lbs, and that's before skid plates and towing poo poo.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 4, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CountOfNowhere posted:

Tinted the windows and blacked out the fugly chrome trim around the grill. The 1.0 Ecoboost is a gem.

Looks basically identical to mine. I went with the 2.0 and 201A so I could have some extra goodies, with my fuel economy considerations being something like "well if it's over 20 then it's basically free to drive" so I figured the 1.0 wasn't worth stepping down a notch in terms of trim level.

At least I don't have to deal with the DCT.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 17, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CountOfNowhere posted:

I wanted that low down turbo torque. I hate driving at high altitude in gutless 4-bangers, the boostu makes it way less annoying (even if I am missing a cyl). I specifically wanted the engine, and was highly disappointed I couldn't get many toys.
Oh now altitude may be the key. Word is the Focus 1.0 is gutless when the 2.0 NA is tolerable, but I don't know how much altitude takes out of the Duratec that the timbo may compensate for. I'm in the (relative) flatlands of east Georgia so altitude is certainly not a thing here.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 19, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

MrYenko posted:

All that needs to be completely over-the-top badass is some knobby tires, and some suspension to match.

Instead, it's the fat, smelly kid from high school wearing the varsity quarterback's letterman jacket.
This is equally applicable to the M5. It's too... pavement. SUV's don't do pavement.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Larrymer posted:

there's some black poo poo (mold) and dead bugs inside the lenses.
Maybe mold, maybe charcoal depending on where it is. The DRL sockets on mine were literally burnt where the bulb attached but they still worked. GM really cheaped out with those.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Cage posted:

Do people not speed when they see you or does it not have the same crown vic effect?
The general public actually buys a fair amount of the same cars that cops use these days. The Crown Vic was basically dead even before it was fleet-only so they were (still are) much more likely to be cop cars than anything else, including the Taurus and Charger.

The exception to that is the new Caprice since it's only for cops but they don't seem to be nearly as common as the others, so I guess they haven't really generated a Crown VIc effect yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Itchy Itchiford posted:

I'm still angry at those bastards for this. I realize they don't want to cut into their SS sales but some of us want a more affordable version of the same car.
Some of us isn't enough I guess. At this point it's anyone's guess how they're gonna go after the cop and V8 flying sofa markets with Holden on its way out. The Impala they have now is reputedly top-notch, but it's still a squidgy FWD with a sub-200hp four banger so we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with.