Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

08.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

08.5 Mazdaspeed3

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tentacle Party posted:

2008 RX8 R3

And my favorite part of the interior, so comfortable.

All these pictures of an R3 and none of those drop dead gorgeous wheels?!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Das Volk posted:

I was looking at an E39 M5 years ago and the dealer employee immediately ran it close to redline while the car was dead cold :psyduck: Needless to say I didn't buy it.

This has been my experience with pretty much every remotely performance-oriented car I've looked at.

And they act like I'm crazy for wanting a new one off the truck.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dissss posted:

Probably happened on the way into the truck anyway.

Yeah :smith:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

shoeish posted:

I love speedometer + acceleration videos, so I made my own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzHleUeEYRE

I was watching the analog speedo and thinking "that seems awfully slow" and realized it goes to 220 and saw the digital speedo and ohhh....yeah that's fast

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The Mazda curse is real

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

JackRabbitStorm posted:

Any suggestions to fix that blemish on the front bumper short of getting a whole new bumper? It's the only defect on the car that can be view from 5+ ft away. Closer then 5 ft? Well, the paint is obviously hosed.

A vinyl sticker color matched to your paint

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

War Bunny posted:

Read through this entire thread, thought I better post my daddy-mobile.

And my favorite sticker.

:3:

This. This is the greatest. Only thing that would make it better would be to give him his 80's/90's hair.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Frozen-Solid posted:

Is that sonic the hedgehog

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KennyLoggins posted:

cause I'm doing well over 2k rpms on the highway.

Oh you V8 people

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dreesemonkey posted:

Xpost from the miata thread. I might not have this much longer but I spent a lot of time cleaning it up today and got some good pics for the craigslist ad.

Nice looking car, but why does the paint always appear to mismatch on the front bumpers?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

juche mane posted:

Those wheels aren't too bad but I really think you should stance that baby out.

Die

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

littlewing posted:

Thanks! I don't plan on selling it. It's been in my family since my Dad bought it in '72. Hopefully I can pass it on to my future kids.

I don't have good current engine shot on me, but it needs to be cleaned and the paint on the valve cover is coming off. I'll probably repaint the cover sometime this year. Here's an older shot from around 2001, just after the motor was swapped in. The insulation panels aren't on the hood anymore and it's got a strut bar now.

Here's a exterior shot from the same time as the one above:

Recent exterior shot with the top up:

Holy crap dude. loving awesome. How's it drive with that motor?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

My new 97 M Edition

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I notice that someone switched out your shift knob, that's not the M edition knob.

Can I ask what you paid for it?

Yeah that's the one part of the interior that's not original.

Paid $3500, which I consider a great deal since that's what clapped out early NA's go for in this area, while nicer ones usually sell for at least $5k.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Some Guy From NY posted:

You can also replace your rear engine mount with an OEM Mazdaspeed3 motormount. I did not really notice a difference with my DCT transmission, but others who have the MT say it really makes the car feel better.

Wow people with Focuses consider the OEM speed3 mount an upgrade? That thing is a sloppy mess and is usually the first part to be removed from a MS3. I yanked mine at like 5k miles. Maybe it's worse with the increased power output, but I still find it hard to believe anyone wants those.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I've got the street unit mount, only got that at the time because the cp-e's were out of stock. In any case I like it a lot, shifting under acceleration is a lot easier without the engine jumping all over the place. It's a little firm, I get some minor vibration at idle with the a/c on, but that's all.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Steve French posted:

So this is the current status of my allroad:

I was out on the street getting ready to do some headlight restoration, then someone clipped my wheel as they drove past. The back of the front left wheel was sticking out because it was parked facing downhill.

Ouch. Get a plate number?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Step 1: hold it horizontally

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

GramCracker posted:

Okay, this will seem like a silly reason. I know why I like wagons (aka Avant's to me), but why do the goons like them? I'd love to hear everyone's reason for why they like an awesome wagon, and also give myself some additional ammo for when someone is all "ZOMG WHI U GET WAGONE?"

With the world in general, I've found that people either just get teh whole "wagons are awesome" thing or they just totally don't get it and never will; there really isn't an in-between. So Goons, let's hear your reasoning as for why wagons are awesome...go!

All the utility 99% of people need from an SUV, in a much nicer looking package that maintains better driving characteristics.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tusen Takk posted:

You may want to retrofit those bad boys, you're gonna piss off a lot of people

Agreed. Please please please don't be that guy.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

From my trip down to the dragon last week

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That Datsun is awesome and I curse you for living somewhere that it hasn't turned to dust yet.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

meatpimp posted:

People bitch about the cost of Winter tires / storage / etc., but if you live in an area that gets legitimate snow, they are cheap insurance. $500 every 3-4 years breaks down to what... $125/year? Find me ANY accident that costs less.

Also you save wear on your summers, which in turn will last much longer.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Gishin posted:

This is my 09 Challenger SRT8 that I imported with me to the UK.

I'm curious, what's the process like for importing a car? I've seen them do it on Wheeler Dealers, but they always gloss over the details.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Man, a car like that, 77 miles would make me so nervous.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Every time I've test driven a relatively fast or sporty car, the salesperson has beaten the piss out of it before handing it over. Almost always on a dead cold engine that has been sitting for days. I can't imagine what they encourage most people to do. They also seem to think the only way to move it around the lot is to slip the clutch at 4K or higher. Don't even want to think about how much of that goes on for however long they have it and have to move it around before selling it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Devyl posted:

It's kinda controversial, but the 'new' break-in procedure for modern performance engines is to run them hard and let them cool down afterwards. That ZL1 is sick though. I want one!

There's a difference between breaking it in hard, and beating the crap out of a cold engine and burning the clutch up in a parking lot.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

blk posted:

PLOT TWIST: POST YOUR OTHER RIDE

If you have a boring part of your stable (partner's car, family car, daily driver, work car) post it here. I'm interested to see how everyone balances out the fun stuff.

The girlfriend's 99 Camry. Pretty much an average boring sedan, but I really am a fan of the 1MZ V6. Smooth as can be and really decent power. 120K-ish and still one of the quietest idling cars I've heard. Very few problems in the 9 years we've been dating. Other than an oxygen sensor its all been routine maintenance, oil and brakes.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Leather alcantara supremacy

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

afen posted:

There were bamboo sticks placed around the trac, they were quickly driven over.

Bad quality video, filmed with my cell phone mounted in a holder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtEKa2bhY7c

My life is incomplete until I do this

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah, I've done that. I gave him a one spot buffer!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Spring has sprung in central PA and trees are jizzing and making GBS threads all over everything.

drat you single sticker inspection counties.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picking it up tomorrow. 2001, 63k miles, 6 speed. Original owner and bone stock.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Picked it up today. It makes an amazing noise. My first V8. I love torque.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Took the C5 for a nice long drive. Yes its got a rattly GM mess of an interior, I don't care, it's a frickin blast.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Thinking of selling the polished wheels and either getting the OEM magnesium or Z06 wheels.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Das Volk posted:

I've always liked the look of those. I wonder if you could just matte the surface with an acid wash or blast.

There's also a painted version of the same wheel, I bet I could find somebody to trade with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

That looks tons better. I bet I can find some codger on corvette forums to do a swap. Though maybe not, his diaper-dried baby wouldn't be :qq: all matching :qq: anymore: