Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Behold my 2011 Golf TDI in Shark Blue. Bone stock except for the tint, 30 on the front windows and 15 on the rear windows and back glass. Has the xenons, sunroof and dynaudio along with utterly useless chrome exhaust tips. I sperged out today and cleaned the entire thing, with the exception of the hatch area because it will forever be covered in dog hair.

Front Shot

Side shot w/ TDIClub.com logo

I'm not the greatest waxer but this is decent enough. Bonus trashcan.

I really think some gunmetal or black wheels would look outstanding on this paint color. These are 17" stock Porto wheels and I'm thinking if I do swap the wheels I should go to 18" or 19". Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

_firehawk posted:

19" tires are generally more expensive than 18". And your 17's are cheaper still.

It's not the cost, more that the 17" are not the most aesthetically pleasing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

loving love me some pop-up headlamps.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

chrisgt posted:

That's imperial gallons, but still. Why don't we have cars like that in the US. Good performance, sporty car that gets good gas mileage?
If we wan't good gas milage we're stuck with a prius or some other lovely grocery getter type car.

You can get the 2 litre turbodiesel in either the VW or Audi lines? :confused: Admittedly not in the A4 Avant, but can be had in the A3. It's also available in the Jetta, Golf, Passat, Bug and more closely to the Avant in the JSW.

peter gabriel posted:

I really have zero clue about US cars so that's interesting to me.
Don't you guys use imperial too? Like MPH etc?

Imperial gallons are bigger.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Depressing Drawers posted:

I went to an auction the other day and came home with this pretty unexpectedly.

Nice. I'm trying to find a second gen MR2 that isn't beat to hell or outrageously expensive because of all their "modz"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Depressing Drawers posted:

Yeah thats pretty much why I picked this one up - Totally stock, even the stereo is still original!

Do you have more pictures?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

In it's original life that fabric was blue but it fades to purple :allears:

Amazing find with 49k on the odo. It's like a unicorn over here, I'm just waiting for the old man to post his mint condition, kept in the barn for the last 20 years MR2 turbo but I might be waiting awhile.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Das Volk posted:

I find being unable to see well during night driving really unnerving. I swapped with a friend's new Mustang a few months ago and was absolutely blinded by his dashboard, so much so I had to pull over and figure out how to turn the lighting down. BMW have subscribed to the red lighting thing for years - if you're ever in one at night, put your hand over the center console - you'll see a red light you weren't even aware of emitting from the box in the headliner.

My VW is the same way. I presume it's to light up the shifter. Shame that the factory head unit is as bright as the sun, even with the dimmer all the way to low and with the unit itself on the darkest setting.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is that the SHO? I drove a rental Taurus and was disappointed with how slow the V6 felt in it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mighty Horse posted:

I am a firm believer you should never judge a car on one you got as a rental. They are usually optioned with the worst engine/trans combo you can get, and usual beat on like, well, a rental.

I have heard rumblings too, that when cars are made to order for fleet service, are sometimes done on a the cheap, and sometimes corners are cut that would be done in the normal consumer bound cars.

The V6 is standard for all the trim levels except the SHO which uses a twin turbo version if I'm not mistaken.

The Taurus had decent seats. It was otherwise a dreadful car and I should have picked up a Fusion instead.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dracon Wolf posted:

I posted the dealer photo earlier in the thread...Wanted to post some post-detailed photos of the new Taurus. I seriously love this car. I know some people give me flak for not going with a 300 but this thing is comfortable as hell. I've never had a car with this many toys before. Makes my previous Mazda6 feel like a piece of junk even though I loved that car too.

Unfortunately not the SHO model. My budget was $25k and every used SHO I saw was at least $38. It is a Limited model though with pretty much every option except nav. Cooled seats are my new favorite option in a car.

That dealer badge on the rear cover is awful. I'd remove that thing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

b0nes posted:

Also you shouldn't be able to see your car in your side mirrors.

This is correct. When a car passes from outside of your side view mirror, it should be visible in your peripheral.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Unironically like the wheels on that. Looks clean.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

mischief posted:

2008, 3.5 SE with the manual 6 speed. It's no super car but it's more than enough fun for me. Dealership had it listed strangely so we did really well on the price. It's fast enough to keep me happy and still just big enough to drag the kids along if I have to.

I haven't washed a car in over a decade, so the nice black paint has me scared. :ohdear: It's got two rock chips in the hood that are driving me nuts.

How does that thing handle with the V6 up front? The weight distribution makes it seem front heavy. I think the I4 is something like 61/39.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

I've got the street unit mount, only got that at the time because the cp-e's were out of stock. In any case I like it a lot, shifting under acceleration is a lot easier without the engine jumping all over the place. It's a little firm, I get some minor vibration at idle with the a/c on, but that's all.

I had the TRZ Delrin Dogbone mount. Stiff as could be but was simply amazing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It's not a look, it's not you being a tremendous rear end in a top hat and blinding everyone.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress yes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I just can't accept a 4 door jeep. It seems wrong.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

They just chip seal the entire road here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Offtopic, but is there an actual term for that lip that extends over the top of the windshield?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

It's usually called a visor or external visor, to differentiate it from normal internal sun visors.

Is it the same thing you'd see on rally cars? Thanks for the info.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Are you talking about the roof air scoops like this?

I guess a rally car was a poor example, I was thinking a few had them but I'm not having any luck. The roof scoop is different.

This is what I was thinking of, but I guess it is just called a sunvisor, or visor, or external (sun)visor. Forgive the god awful car it is attached to.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What size are the tires on there? 225?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

I went to downtown Dallas today.

Sweet CU action.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blooot posted:

Let's test that theory -- here's my 2010 GTI with some freshly gilded RPF1s.

Are those 18"s?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blooot posted:

No, they're 17x7.5 +48 with 225/45R17 Hankook RS-3s. I think I dropped around 8 lbs per corner VS the stock 17" Denvers.

Looks great. I think the SBC color would look solid on my shark blue TDI.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Linux Nazi posted:

Was able to trade it in for $900 less than I owed

I had the FRS for 11 months!

:staredog:

Man you took a bath on that. A year of payments plus whatever you put down and you still lost $900 on the trade.

If it was so bad you should really have tried to lemon it instead of lose all that cash.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

opengl128 posted:

Man, a car like that, 77 miles would make me so nervous.

I agree. Test drives :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wamsutta posted:

I have that exact truck, more or less, except mine's Stone White and an Altitude (meaning, black 20's/grill/tail gate accent). I love it. The 2014s don't offer a package close to as great a value.

Day I got it:

And during the winter, looking more Jeep-ish:

The white with the black grill and wheels looks really sharp here.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Those headlamps are just awful.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

anonumos posted:

I did pay a premium, but I really needed to get out from under that 18% loan.

If only there was some way to get someone, like maybe another bank or even a credit union, to loan you money with a lower APR without buying a new car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Was it the Maxima or Altima that had that landing strip sunroof?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Ugh...I am perpetuating an AI stereotype. 1990 MX-5 Miata. All stock, owner by an older guy and his dad before him. 89k miles.

So loving clean. Nice!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Xpost from the Miata thread

Finished the deal on a 2012 GT soft top today. ~8k miles, premium and suspension packages (really just wanted the LSD) with tan leather and the crystal white mica paint. Mostly bought it for a weekend car for the wife and I. Burned through half a tank going through the twisties up at Lime Creek Road to get a feel for the car. Not sure if I want to put in sways just yet. Definitely want the upgrade the horn since I've had to use it twice already to avoid being splattered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_ZJWSUOBuo

Forgive my poo poo picture taking and that the car is a little dirty. Link at the end to an album with a few more pictures.

http://imgur.com/a/bWSLF

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is actually a state-by-state thing. AZ is the same way where under/uninsured coverages specifically only cover people in the car. Damage to the car caused by another driver, who is not able to cover it (no insurance, or not enough liability coverage to pay for your damages) is defined as a comprehensive claim.

I have never seen a vehicle collision covered under comprehensive. Comp is very specifically defined in auto contracts.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Lose the front plate. Why are front plates even still a thing? I know they're required in some states, but I don't see why, and they ruin the look of almost every car the are on.

Agreed. I've not had a cop pull me over. If they use that as the reason I'm sure they could find something else just as easy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does it have the awesome jump seats?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Hello Spaceman posted:

I did a dumb thing and traded in my S2000 on an Audi.

This looks great. What's the specs?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It looks like the Ford "Performance Blue" which is blue/purplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Das Volk posted:

What is a clicker :confused:

Keyless entry remote.