Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

You guys should be getting sick of my Volvos by now.

Hard parkin' the cul-de-sac...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

MrSaturn posted:

Heheh -- bonnet is limey british speak for "hood" -- read here for ST185 things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Celica_GT-Four

similarly, boot means "trunk", and MGB means "sally car"

Also "wings" means fenders and "lucas" means smoke.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

ThwartedEfforts posted:

I'd love to know what dictates this
Isn't it set up so that the turn signals are operated by the hand that isn't doing the shifting in a manual car?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Frosty- posted:

I think it's clear that this all hinges on who is included in "people on the forum."

Right. In the past, "post your ride" threads have been restricted in the first post to AI REGULARS ONLY. This thread had no such request, so just lighten up. As long as they're not shitposting, a boring car fits fine in this thread. And who knows, maybe someone from Pet Island drives something cool?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

frozenphil posted:

I hear the boss on stage 4 is a bitch but if you punch when he opens his mouth you can keep punching him when he drops his pants and you can knock him out every time in under a minute.

That's why they call it a KO4.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

82Daion posted:

The project ('66 Thunderbird-currently on hiatus, maybe headed to the scrap heap due to rust cancer):

I'd shop for another less rusty one and save that one for a parts car. It looks like it has a lot of good chrome and glass on it. Or at least try to part it out before smashing it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

xopher.white posted:

Then I am to believe that atmosphere under the hood is less dense than air above the hood? With the head around the block, this seems counterintuitive. :/

I thought the logic was that the air packed against the base of the windshield was higher pressure, so instead of just sending all of it up and over the car, some goes down into the engine.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

There's an orange fastback for sale parked here in Denver on the way I drive every thursday and friday after getting my daughter from school, I could find out the details if anyone wants it and these are really that rare. I can't see any rust from the street, and it appears stock, and has been sitting for sale long enough to get a flat tire. I'd snag it myself if I wasn't such a loyal whore to my Volvos.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Fortress TB posted:

Content: my dad's car. Work in progress, body-off-frame resto 1963 Corvette Stingray.

As a '63, shouldn't that be a split window? I know a lot of people took the split bar out back in the day, but if he's going to this much restoration trouble why wouldn't you put it back in?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Naky posted:

what else is he gonna do, buy a used volvo, get fatter, and be depressed?

Works for me!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

happyscrappyheropup posted:

Nice shorts. :D

My '72 C10 Suburban.

That's loving gorgeous. Glad to see you back, I remember following your turbo vette thread and being bummed when you disappeared.

All these old trucks make me so jealous, in that "If I knew then what I know now" kind of way: My grandpa had a '69 GMC fleetside and Grandma had a '65 Chrysler 300. Both were bought new, so they were one owner cars. They sold the truck when I was about 13, because they only needed one car, then sold the Chrysler when they turned in their licenses. I could have bought it but my ex wife didn't get the car thing and we couldn't agree to spend the money. What's worse is that she only wanted $1500 for it. I should have done whatever possible to keep them in the family. It makes me sick to my stomach.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 13, 2011

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

And I doubt those guys can reach up and pick a dollar off their dash. :)

They can barely keep their retinas attached to their eyeballs.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Crustashio posted:

We should because you learn a lot about good design when working on lovely cars.

The stereotype of MEs who don't know poo poo usually applies to the people who go out and do project management right out of school and never design a single thing. My courses were geared to the most general application possible, I never got any solid technical knowledge until I started working. It's very possible for someone to have a degree and barely understand the mechanics of a gearbox.

Last job I had, the VP of engineering thought that because you can heat cycle electronics to do an accellerated life test, that the same should apply to molded plastic. So it was no surprise that plastic pieces under a load melted during the test. He absolutely insisted that we had to do some sort of life testing on these pieces even though their service life was 90 days. I pointed out that if we'd started real world testing 90 days ago when I suggested it the first time, we'd have actual practical results. They fired me a week later, and the first words out of my mouth were "Thank god".

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 19, 2011

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Wally Joyner posted:

Because I didn't have enough obligations and projects in my life I decided to bring this into the family.

1974 Volvo 144

Parked next to a truckler for scale.

Get it in to the Volvo thread dude. Also if you haven't already, sign up for turbobricks, that's probably the best source of 140 series experts on the whole web. And hiperfauto has all your parts covered. If they can't get it nobody can.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Rusty posted:

After sitting for over ten years, we got my roommate's spitfire running, and I got to take it out on a drive for the first time since it was nice out today in the NW.

It has a theme song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQZDbBGBJsM

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah I'm still driving a car designed in the 90's, It's going to be a hard shock when I finally get in to a 21st century car with a modern interior.

Anjow posted:

because we've all just got good taste.

It is more common here than not, even with the insanity. Also I wish more people would get those hatchbags. That's a fantastic idea.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Bouillon Rube posted:

What is hell is that thing exactly (besides adorable)?

It's got a project thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3859331&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

dema posted:

I need to drive my car more this season. It's a little anemic at elevation, but still loads of fun as long as you keep it in the powerband.

From a few pages back but I'm proud to say over my 21 years in CO I did enough mountain driving to recognize that exact spot. Oregon has a lot of great twisty roads but your photos make me miss it there. And that blue looks awesome contrasted on white, even when the white is dirty with gravel.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Agreed, I never used to want outrageous colors on my cars but in the last 10 years I've started really lusting after a red leather interior. I'm jealous.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Oxphocker posted:

:sweden: :hf: :sweden:
It was nice weather out last weekend, went for a drive.

God drat I want one of those. Maybe after a couple more years of depreciation.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

i bought a box

seems mostly good but seller neglected to tell me AC is blowing HOT. gas mileage was not great on the 200+ mile journey home

front tires seem to be kinda noisy but might just be that this car isnt very well soundproofed or that they're kinda like offroad-ish tires?. or maybe a wheel bearing?

anyway should be a good dog hauler, winter beater and camping vehicle

Elements are great. I'm working on my buddy's element right now, he needs new headlights (easy to change) lock cylinders (I guess this is a common problem, fairly easy to change) and a passenger window regulator. This is after 17 years of ownership. I also just found out that if it doesn't have keyless entry, it's $125 and snaps in to the wiring harness in 10 minutes. I'm going to do that on his car too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

I've never seen a vent in a B pillar is that something that people do now?

I'm pretty sure I'd hate it because I'm 6'5" and I need that space for like my arms and shoulders but it's probably a great idea for normal sized humans.

Volvo has had those in all their wagons and SUVs since 01, not sure about anyone else.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I vote for black top, so blue with black vinyl is a great idea if you want to try both.

I don't even give a gently caress that it's already raining on it, I needed to wash this car bad.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

What are those wheels?

They're just a BBS OEM wheel, similar to a lot of their other designs for OEM applications like VW, Porsche and BMW. In the Volvo world these were a fairly rare wheel that was only offered on the 99-04 C70, and even more rare in this optional 18" size. I also have the 17" version on my 122.

They're a bit dated at this point but they're still my favorite wheel. I got them on ebay in 08 and haven't let them go. I run them on whatever is my daily. Previous fitments:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I just saw the Hagerty video on the Blackwing and that car is insane. 1/4 mile in the 11's and handles great to boot. Great purchase, very jealous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7YqdGt19tw

I didn't look in to it enough to see there were different models of Blackwing, interesting.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 28, 2022

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Speaking as a former owner, RIP your wallet.

That first day is so great though. The stockholm syndrome pain comes later.

Day 1: yay!

Day 740: !@$#%!#!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 26, 2022

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, sorry to pile on, it's just ribbing. Once I fixed mine it ran flawlessly for over a year without a single issue and I enjoyed every mile. My replacement is super bulletproof but pretty boring.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Pheel73 posted:

My new (to me) 2018 v60 Polestar.

Just picked this up last week.

I always wanted a wagon and when this came up for sale I had to go see it.

Jealous.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

polygon_monkey posted:

I posted this in the Porsche thread a few weeks back but forgot to post it here. My first Porsche, a 2013 Boxster S in Agate Grey with red extended leather interior and all the spicy options (chrono, pse, pasm, ptv etc):

Those look like magazine photos. I'm not an avid photographer or anything but I'm just curious if you have a great camera and that was on purpose, or if phones have become that good?

Also the car is gorgeous, that's a great color combo and I'm jealous. I've been really craving a red leather interior lately.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

evobatman posted:

I feel like more people need to see my car

Agreed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Oversized American Excess - the car.

So big it doesn't even fit in the picture!

AirRaid posted:

Should’ve called it the Grand Wagonero

The letters are usually adhesive. I absolutely would if I had one. Do it, davecrazy.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

From this angle the car is :getin: personified. Really looks feisty. And great.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

kill me now posted:

I have a handy dandy google sheet for my car history that is color coded

I love spreadsheets. I have one for my car history, and why didn't I think to add a color column?

His Divine Shadow posted:

I don't really care which color it is as long as it's not another silver metallic car. I got three cars and they're all silver metallic. I don't even like it that much, just happened.

I'm with you there, when I totaled my C70 and ended up with an identical silver replacement I just kind of sighed. Silver was my last choice of acceptable colors and I've now been stuck with it for 16 years. I've been planning a vinyl wrap or repaint ever since I got it and just can't quite justify spending the money.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sir Mix-A-Lot would approve. Because he is into cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The weather broke 70 for the first time this year, I had to take it out and drive it. And get a little photoshoot in. 21 year old car, which I got at 10 years old, with transplanted drivetrain I've had for almost 17 years. I still absolutely love it. I have photoshopped out the paint chips on the front bumper so you all can see it how I see it.

I finally did paintless dent removal on it last year and it really came out nice.

It has its defects but I'm planning on fixing them. Here is the un-re-touched truth of the front end. Very frustrating, in that this was a factory painted bumper I paid around $800 for, and the first time I power washed it, paint flaked off like a motherfucker. The white scuff in the center is from my now-deceased brother being careless around it. Also frustrating.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to go all in on getting it repainted vs DIY vinyl wrapping it. I think I'm gonna try wrapping it myself and if I screw it up then pay someone to redo it. Either way is cheaper than a repaint, and with how seldom I drive it these days, even vinyl should last a decade.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 18, 2024